HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Taylor Hall Suspension - 2 games

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
You've got to be kidding

About what?

Old
02-22-2013, 06:49 PM
Spawn

2 games is probably deserved. It was a dangerous play and reckless play, if someone did that to one of our kids we would be calling for their heads.

Pretty funny that Clutterbuck says he wouldn't put himself in that position. This is a guy that has made a career on throwing late hits.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
2 games is probably deserved. It was a dangerous play and reckless play, if someone did that to one of our kids we would be calling for their heads.
And that someone would get no suspension and we all know it.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
About what?
Thus cements the C?

This is going to be our captain?

Make some ******* hits and plays when it counts and maybe you won't be down 3-1 so you don't feel the need to make an emotionally based, dirty play out of stupidity.

He was useless all game, didn't finish hits on the forecheck, so this is how he responds? WHAT A LEADER!

Old
MadMax82*

Quote:

Pretty funny that Clutterbuck says he wouldn't put himself in that position. This is a guy that has made a career on throwing late hits.
Sure Liek all those times oilers players limped off the ice The NHL was sure cracking down on protecting the players. The fact is NHL could care less about protecting Oilers Players. Oilers Management could care less. Hell Management prolly could care less if we won a game in the next 30

Old
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Torres on Eberle?
Ahh yup, you're right. Totally slipped my mind. Surprised that Shanny gave him a suspension considering there was no injury.

Old
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
And that someone would get no suspension and we all know it.
Agreed

Old
02-22-2013, 06:52 PM
MadMax82*

Quote:
Thus cements the C?

This is going to be our captain?

Make some ******* hits and plays when it counts and maybe you won't be down 3-1 so you don't feel the need to make an emotionally based, dirty play out of stupidity.

He was useless all game, didn't finish hits on the forecheck, so this is how he responds? WHAT A LEADER!
Messier say Hi

Old
02-22-2013, 06:52 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I dont have a huge problem with 2 games. The problem is all the bs cheap shots that aren't even called.

Doan's hit on Horcoff was much more of a cheap shot to me and it wasn't penalized or even viewed by the league.

It's the mind-numbing inconsistency with reffing and suspensions that makes this harder to take.

Shanaban's Wheel of Suspension FTW.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:53 PM
Mr Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax53 View Post
Messier say Hi
Messier finished his hits all game and battled like a ****ing hero. Hall, no, not even close. The guy skates around like a chicken with his head chopped off.

Comparing Hall to Mess is gross.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
There is definitely some inordinate amount of jealousy against us which surprises me because we haven't even won anything yet, lol. Oh well, what can you do. I'm not going to apologize for winning the draft lottery and getting Yakupov or that Schultz chose us.
They are just laying the groundwork for future jealousy.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Ahh yup, you're right. Totally slipped my mind. Surprised that Shanny gave him a suspension considering there was no injury.
Thats just becase its Torres. If it was anyone else hitting Eberle that way, it would have been overlooked. The league hates Torres.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:59 PM
fryburger

I'm not mad, but disappointed. Other players for their 1st offence get a fine. Was he trying to hit him, of course i wanted to hit clutterbuck too. Was he trying to hurt i am thinking yes.

Clutterbuck was all over Eberle in that game, it got so bad I am thinking Kruger put him on the second line to keep him from getting nailed by Clutterbuck. You might argue it was to switch up the lines, but i haven't seen Kruger do that at all with the top line very often.

Hall took exception to Clutterbuck hitting EBS all night took his frustration out on him, and good ole Shanny gave him the book for it.

2 games yes, but it shouldn't because it was hockey play maybe bit reckless and unnecessary. Oh well Chara did a hockey play, almost killed the guy, how many games did he get?

Let's hope the team shows some passion this Saturday.

Last edited by fryburger: 02-22-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 07:11 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Firstly I am a Hall fan

He deserved punishment and so did many who did not get punishment

On Hall being upset that others are not scoring how about Hall scoring he is paid to do it. I think everybody is likely upset at everybody and themselves. Cheechoo is looking better all the time.

Now it is time for everyone to step up. Cannot sit the whole team.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Mr Forever

Despite my rantings so far today I am also a Hall fan. He's disappointed me though. I think my expectations were too high. I truly was expecting a messier.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:38 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Messier finished his hits all game and battled like a ****ing hero. Hall, no, not even close. The guy skates around like a chicken with his head chopped off.

He has been our best forward.

Easily.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Despite my rantings so far today I am also a Hall fan. He's disappointed me though. I think my expectations were too high. I truly was expecting a messier.
I dont think you know much about Messier.

He used to do much, much worse than what Hall just did.

And he did it quite often.

Taylor Hall is one of the few players out there that actually give a ****.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:45 PM
sid49

Me Forever. If you would like to see just how valuable hall is to this team, watch our next two games.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:57 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid49 View Post
Me Forever. If you would like to see just how valuable hall is to this team, watch our next two games.
Exactly this. He's the heart of this team. I don't know how many more times he has to prove it. Every time he's out of the lineup, the team sucks. Plain and simple. Happened last year (Eberle and RNH were not the same) and this year in OKC. Every time we dominate the game, Hall is always the focal point of that domination. If you thought we were lifeless and boring yesterday, the next two games will even put insomniacs to bed.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:59 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:

While I don't think the Messier comparison is accurate, Messier was plenty unfocused in his first few years.

I'd rather compare Hall to Iginla. And as a career-long Iggy fan, I see Hallsy having the same career trajectory. He is simply too strong-willed to be defeated.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:01 PM
kes81sel
Go MacT

vCash: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He has been our best forward.

Easily.

what about Gags?

Old
02-22-2013, 08:16 PM
aqib

Isn't a 2 game suspension in a shortened season a lot for a guy with no prior history?

Old
02-22-2013, 08:34 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:

I just saw that video of Clutterbuck on TSN. If roles were reversed, you know he would of taken Hall's head off, never mind lay out a hip check. Difference is he would of made it look like he was trying to avoid it (but not), and wouldn't of got anything for it.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:44 PM
harpoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post

Before the hit:
- Clutterbuck actually had the puck right in front of himself, then puck kept bouncing,
- he started cutting to the middle diagonally and tried to use his left skate to control the puck towards the direction he's turning,
- but he missed the puck with his skate.

- Hall was already committed to going the same direction where Clutterbuck was turning.
- he could've been anticipating that Clutterbuck would be able to control the puck with skate and the puck would've been right there, but he might not have anticipated Clutterbuck would miss. Hall did not change direction right before making contact.
This is a really solid post. Well done.

The points you make above are pretty much exactly what Hall himself had to say about the play immediately after the game ( saw the puck was bouncing, saw Clutterbuck attempting to recover possession, believed Clutterbuck was going to regain possession, continued with his hit).

Looking at the hit the worst thing to me (and the reason I'm kind of OK with a minor suspension) is that its clearly late.
However, for the reasons you indicate above its easy to see why Hall (and Clutterbuck) could have believed the puck was going to bounce Cal's way.

I haven't seen Shanahan's solemn video for this suspension yet, I guess I'll go watch it now but I've totally lost faith in him as a responsible arbitrator of events. Its a shame because I think everyone thought Shanny was going to be a big improvement over his goofy predecessors.

I guess we just have to resign ourselves to the fact that the NHL will always be a second tier sports league that can't get its act together on basic things like on/off ice discipline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Isn't a 2 game suspension in a shortened season a lot for a guy with no prior history?
I thought about that too, but I think the disciplinary board shouldn't consider things like a lockout shortened season when determining the length of a suspension. Events on the ice should be judged on what they are.

Its is too bad that Hall is going to miss two games in such a short season, but the goal should be to set a standard of acceptable behavior that always applies.

Last edited by harpoon: 02-22-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
While I don't think the Messier comparison is accurate, Messier was plenty unfocused in his first few years.

I'd rather compare Hall to Iginla. And as a career-long Iggy fan, I see Hallsy having the same career trajectory. He is simply too strong-willed to be defeated.
His last few years too. I remember seeing Messier spearing people in his final season. He was kind of out of hand to be honest, didn't really belong in the modern game.

Closed Thread