HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Chicago & General Sports Thread - Part XVI: IU WINS OUTRIGHT BIG TEN TITLE

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 08:29 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
http://www.ebay.com/tickets/Chicago-...rom=R40&_dmpt=

Nothing anywhere near face on EBay for Sunday.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Kane At Mifflin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianHeadSweater View Post
They're much easier to get this season, where, you know, the Bulls superstar player is out. He got them off ebay. And the Bulls routinely are tops in the NBA in attendance. They've sold out every game for more than a decade. With that kind of attendance, you're just not going to get high levels of hardcore fans every game. When the playoffs roll around, though, the tickets are insanely expensive, and the crowd is very much into it.

You gotta go by what the market says, not what your perception is.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:31 PM
Kurtosis
RTJ

Start a thread about ticket prices guys.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:32 PM
Kane At Mifflin

Quote:
That's just not so. The year the Hawks won the cup, we got tickets behind the visitor's bench for the first playoff series. $125 a ticket. You can't sit 100 level at a Bulls game during the regular season for that price.

You're not getting tickets for that price for a regular season game, let alone a playoff game. Only way you get those prices is if you know a season ticket holder who wants to give up the tickets for way less than market value. You clearly don't understand economics because the market value for Hawks tickets >> Bulls. This should tell you who is more popular right now.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:32 PM
IndianHeadSweater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetEmKnow View Post
You gotta go by what the market says, not what your perception is.
Like I said, we got tickets for the playoffs on the glass for $125 each. Good luck sitting 100 level at a Bulls game ever at that price.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:34 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
No, it's not. Bulls tickets are FAAAR cheaper on the secondary market than Hawks tickets. And you can on Ticketmaster and get tickets through them for games next month. If you have trouble getting Bulls tickets than you just don't know how to use a computer.

EDIT: you can get tickets to the game Tuesday for $21 on Stubhub. You're lucky to find a Hawks ticket for 3 times that...
I don't know, it looks like the prices are about the same, maybe more sensitive to the matchup for Bulls games. And of course the Bulls are missing the main draw and the Hawks are on a historic roll.

But TV rating for the Hawks have been killing the Bulls this year since the start and were better last year as well I think. The trend is good; Unless the Bulls pull off some deal to add another super-star, the hawks will probably overtake the Bulls soon if they already haven't.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:35 PM
IndianHeadSweater

Quote:
You're not getting tickets for that price for a regular season game, let alone a playoff game. Only way you get those prices is if you know a season ticket holder who wants to give up the tickets for way less than market value. You clearly don't understand economics because the market value for Hawks tickets >> Bulls. This should tell you who is more popular right now.
I'm telling what I did get. We don't know anyone who had tickets. You just have to be savvy. I'm holding the ticket in my hand now. Section 122, row 3, seat 7, vs. the flames. They gave us beards to wear because we were probably on tv a lot.

BTW: face value was $175.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:38 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerSavardSecord View Post
I don't know, it looks like the prices are about the same, maybe more sensitive to the matchup for Bulls games. And of course the Bulls are missing the main draw and the Hawks are on a historic roll.
Look about the same? I just posted a link where you could get Bulls tickets for 21 dollars. Go on Stubhub and find a ticket to a Hawks game for that and get back to me.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:49 PM
IndianHeadSweater

Quote:
Look about the same? I just posted a link where you could get Bulls tickets for 21 dollars. Go on Stubhub and find a ticket to a Hawks game for that and get back to me.
Which fanbase do you suppose is wealthier?

Old
02-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Kane At Mifflin

Quote:
That's just not so. The year the Hawks won the cup, we got tickets behind the visitor's bench for the first playoff series. $125 a ticket. You can't sit 100 level at a Bulls game during the regular season for that price.

Quote:
I'm telling what I did get. We don't know anyone who had tickets. You just have to be savvy. I'm holding the ticket in my hand now. Section 122, row 3, seat 7, vs. the flames. They gave us beards to wear because we were probably on tv a lot.

BTW: face value was $175.

Hawks never played Calgary the year they won the cup. You full of chitzu

Old
02-22-2013, 08:53 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Which fanbase do you suppose is wealthier?
The Bulls with Rose are a bigger draw. The same yuppies that know nothing about hockey will fill the UC if Rose returns to full health and the Bulls are playing for championships.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:56 PM
IndianHeadSweater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
The Bulls with Rose are a bigger draw. The same yuppies that know nothing about hockey will fill the UC if Rose returns to full health and the Bulls are playing for championships.
Point is, hockey is a privileged man's game. Unless you have money, you've probably never played hockey. Tons of big-time Bulls fans never get the opportunity to watch the Bulls live. I'd guess Derrick Rose never did, even though basketball was literally his life. Just basing popularity off of secondary market prices isn't an accurate gauge of how popular the teams are.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Kane At Mifflin

Quote:
Point is, hockey is a privileged man's game. Unless you have money, you've probably never played hockey. Tons of big-time Bulls fans never get the opportunity to watch the Bulls live. I'd guess Derrick Rose never did, even though basketball was literally his life. Just basing popularity off of secondary market prices isn't an accurate gauge of how popular the teams are.
Prices are key . People are willing to pay almost 3x as much to attend hawks games vs bulls games. Just the facts imo. It's not about just filling seats, it's more so how much people are willing to sacrifice to get those tickets.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:03 PM
IndianHeadSweater

Quote:
Prices are a gauge of marginal rate of substitution. People are willing to pay almost 3x as much to attend hawks games vs bulls games. Just the facts imo
Again, that's just not generally the case. At this moment, the Hawks are literally on an historic streak, and the Bulls are without their best player. For a more even look, check prices for playoff games over the last couple of years.

GOAL!

Old
02-22-2013, 09:04 PM
RomersWorld*

Quote:
Prices are a gauge of marginal rate of substitution. People are willing to pay almost 3x as much to attend hawks games vs bulls games. Just the facts imo
Those are the facts but what does that have to do with popularity? If that is what you are discussing(I don't want to go through a million posts).

Popularity is more than just going to games. How about who calls the radio stations? Usually about 30 minutes a day on the Hawks, 23 hours on the Bulls or whoever else. Radio stations are concerned with listeners and what they want to hear. They want ratings. They get more with Bulls talk than Hawks by probably a ton.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Kane At Mifflin

Quote:
Again, that's just not generally the case. At this moment, the Hawks are literally on an historic streak, and the Bulls are without their best player. For a more even look, check prices for playoff games over the last couple of years.

GOAL!
Dude, they've sold out like 200+ games in a row. Has nothing to do with their "streak". Prices have been pretty constant for like 4 years now.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:05 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Prices are key . People are willing to pay almost 3x as much to attend hawks games vs bulls games. Just the facts imo. It's not about just filling seats, it's more so how much people are willing to sacrifice to get those tickets.
I don't know what part of that is the Hawks being the cool ticket to have amongst rich suburbanites as opposed to Ace's point that demographically the Bulls fanbase has more than a handful of members that couldn't name a single player on the Hawks.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:05 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
Those are the facts but what does that have to do with popularity? If that is what you are discussing(I don't want to go through a million posts).

Popularity is more than just going to games. How about who calls the radio stations? Usually about 30 minutes a day on the Hawks, 23 hours on the Bulls or whoever else. Radio stations are concerned with listeners and what they want to hear. They want ratings. They get more with Bulls talk than Hawks by probably a ton.
We were discussing who has a more passionate, dedicated fan base. To me, ticket demand is a good, if not the best way to gauge that.

Bulls - bigger fan base, but less into supporting the team live
Hawks - smaller, but more into it

Old
02-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Kane At Mifflin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post

TV Ratings, Ticket Prices, etc. Your gonna rate it on callers to radio stations?

Old
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
We were discussing who has a more passionate, dedicated fan base. To me, ticket demand is a good, if not the best way to gauge that.

Having been to a number of Hawks games since they've won the cup, the crowd has definitely changed. A number of Hawks diehards have been priced out.

Edit: Those tv ratings are telling though.

Old
IndianHeadSweater

Quote:
Dude, they've sold out like 200+ games in a row. Has nothing to do with their "streak". Prices have been pretty constant for like 4 years now.
Now you're just moving the goalposts. The Bulls have sold out every game since the early 90's. You were talking about prices, and the current prices of Hawks tickets is definitely very related to the streak. This year was regarded as a tread water year for the Bulls, so it's not exactly surprising that people aren't dropping huge coin to take in Bulls games.

Old
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
If I wanted to talk or read about the Bulls, I'd be posting in the other sports thread or a basketball forum. We're all Hawks fans here and that's what matters.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:09 PM
IndianHeadSweater

Quote:

No, just wealthier.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:10 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Having been to a number of Hawks games since they've won the cup, the crowd has definitely changed. A number of Hawks diehards have been priced out.

Edit: Those tv ratings are telling though.
Even so, the majority of people at Hawks games are in Hawks gear. The majority of people at Bulls games are in what they wore to work that day because they're just there to be entertained by whoever took them.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:10 PM
Wasted Years
Where Eagles Dare

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
If I wanted to talk or read about the Bulls, I'd be posting in the other sports thread or a basketball forum. We're all Hawks fans here and that's what matters.
Amen. And **** the Bulls. Just not an NBA fan. Bores the **** out of me.

Closed Thread