Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 04:02 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Sean Day is going #1, just like the rest of the Exceptional Status players. Day will instantly become one of the best skaters in the OHL.

Imagine a team passing on a 6-4 200 pound, 15 yr old defenseman who skates better/faster than any other 14 yr old that most scouts have seen in there life because of they want an undersized winger with alot of skill? Makes zero sense.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:18 PM
U of C Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Many think he won't report there Chewer.. What makes you thing differently? I do hope your correct though!
Advisor, believe he is with Resnick. Pretty clear Spencer won't report. Also to consider Wierenski, Yan and Kirwin may go 3rd Round to team of choice. Ie London
The turn around on the ice with a new coach, but the Petes can't / won't offer other incentives that other teams can.
By OHL cup it will be a lot clearer as to first round picks. For sure deals being made at this time.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:21 PM
U of C Trojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Sean Day is going #1, just like the rest of the Exceptional Status players. Day will instantly become one of the best skaters in the OHL.

Imagine a team passing on a 6-4 200 pound, 15 yr old defenseman who skates better/faster than any other 14 yr old that most scouts have seen in there life because of they want an undersized winger with alot of skill? Makes zero sense.
Agree with chewer the rumour is out there. Remember he is 14 Jason Wooley and his parents will make sure he is in a good place.
P

Old
02-22-2013, 04:23 PM
defensehockey19

I want the Petes to make the 2nd Ritchie-Strome duo... That would be sweet.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
U of C Trojan

Quote:
I want the Petes to make the 2nd Ritchie-Strome duo... That would be sweet.
Richie wanted out of Peterborough so I doubt there will be any convincing of that to happen.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:57 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I heard the same rumour of Konecny going first overall to Ottawa, with or without Day in the mix. Just telling you what I have heard.

If Kingston takes Strome than they must be trying to move some of their forward talent. They have centres- Bennett, Kujawinski and Jenkins, and Strome if he plays with Bennett will have to play wing.

Spencer should be going to Petes if he is around. For now they have the 3rd pick overall,but may end up in the playoffs, and may end up with 6th pick overall if Missy, Niagara and Kingston muck the bed. At 6th spot, Spencer will definitely not be there.

Jenkins is a winger. Although Greenaway is a centre as well. I doubt they would be looking to move any of those guys mentioned, but rather the soon to be 19 year olds who aren't producing (i.e. Schutt).

Old
02-22-2013, 06:03 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Does anyone else think Dylan Strome to Kingston is a done deal? Id say its pretty close to that. There is mutual interest and the fit is perfect. A big playmaking centerman to play with Bennett and Watson. Ikonen will not be there much longer.
I'm assuming you mean because he will be 19 next year? Ikonen is the straw that mixes the drink. He is great with Kujawinski as well, so with Strome, Ikonen would probably be separated from Bennett and Watson.

I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about the Fronts being interested in Matthew Spencer as they really struggle in their own end. Do you know if there has been any interest in them taking a defenceman?

Old
02-22-2013, 08:01 PM
Garyboy

Quote:

I don't see that happening either. Day has the potential to be the best defenseman the OHL has seen since Bryan Fogarty.

I reckon his true coming out party will be at the All Canadian game this summer when he has a national television audience at his disposal. I get the sense he's only teasing us with a smidge of what he's capable right now, but come the All Canada game, Day will put on a show that has the hardcore hockey world salivating over what he has to offer.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:37 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
I'm assuming you mean because he will be 19 next year? Ikonen is the straw that mixes the drink. He is great with Kujawinski as well, so with Strome, Ikonen would probably be separated from Bennett and Watson.

I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about the Fronts being interested in Matthew Spencer as they really struggle in their own end. Do you know if there has been any interest in them taking a defenceman?
I agree Ikonen is huge for that line. Bennett and Watson are perfect wingers for Strome. Even if u split the wingers and have Ikonen center one of them.

I agree about the defense, more specifically a defensive defenseman. Matt Spencer is more of an Offensive defenseman. They have Mckeown and expect alot from Diperna next year. Spencer probably wont be there when they pick. They have Oshawa's second round pick and should be able to find a nice piece with that pick as well. Taking Spencer if he was there, I think they would have too many of the same type of player. I think they need a stay at home Defenseman as much as they need anything.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:24 PM
mapleleaf979

Is there a rule that prevents an underage player on the U18 USNTDP team?

I ask because I personally think that Zach Werenski playing U17 next year with the 97 class, is a step backward for him. He hasnt played with his own age group in years and is dominant with U18 Little Ceasars right now. Last year he was the best Dman on the 96 belle tire team and many thought he was good enough to be ES last year. I know Jack Eichel and Blake Weyrick only played one game with the U18 team this year, but nothing long term.

Luke Kirwan is another player that may not be light years ahead skill wise, but physically is well beyond his years and again has not played with his own age group in years, currently playing U20.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:35 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
I don't see that happening either. Day has the potential to be the best defenseman the OHL has seen since Bryan Fogarty.

I reckon his true coming out party will be at the All Canadian game this summer when he has a national television audience at his disposal. I get the sense he's only teasing us with a smidge of what he's capable right now, but come the All Canada game, Day will put on a show that has the hardcore hockey world salivating over what he has to offer.
I remember talking with you about Sean Day in the prospects thread, I see him the exact same way as u do. Everyone raves about this kid.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:36 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
I agree Ikonen is huge for that line. Bennett and Watson are perfect wingers for Strome. Even if u split the wingers and have Ikonen center one of them.

I agree about the defense, more specifically a defensive defenseman. Matt Spencer is more of an Offensive defenseman. They have Mckeown and expect alot from Diperna next year. Spencer probably wont be there when they pick. They have Oshawa's second round pick and should be able to find a nice piece with that pick as well. Taking Spencer if he was there, I think they would have too many of the same type of player. I think they need a stay at home Defenseman as much as they need anything.
Thanks for your insight. Much appreciated. You are right, they need a defensive defenceman, although from the sounds of it he could probably escape a lot of the pressure with his speed alone.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:54 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post

I'm looking forward to that as well. When is that, sometime mid-to late July?

Old
02-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Pioneer5

There is a lot of talk about forwards and defense and where they all might potentially go. What about goalies, what is the take on them.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:59 AM
ImaBullsfan

With the Bulls most likely picking in the bottom 4 in the 1st, who or what should bulls fans expect in getting? Any thoughts or predictions? There will be open roster spots all over come fall, many graduating players.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:50 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaBullsfan View Post
With the Bulls most likely picking in the bottom 4 in the 1st, who or what should bulls fans expect in getting? Any thoughts or predictions? There will be open roster spots all over come fall, many graduating players.
"In the o radio" released a two round mock draft that is up on there website! Just look at the guys last 5-6 guys in first round, first 5 guys in second round. That's who will likely be in there range.. Not for sure but it gives you a pretty good idea.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:28 PM
ImaBullsfan

Quote:
"In the o radio" released a two round mock draft that is up on there website! Just look at the guys last 5-6 guys in first round, first 5 guys in second round. That's who will likely be in there range.. Not for sure but it gives you a pretty good idea.
Thanks, but i would expect the bulls to go alittle off the board, every year they seem to surprise people with their selections.

Old
02-24-2013, 12:13 AM
KillerHockey

Soo Thunder vs Thunder Bay AAA Minor Midget Kings 3 Game Series

A quick update from Thunder Bay,

First game 3-1 lead for Thunder Bay going into third ends in 3-3 tie

Soo Goal Scorers

#7 McPhail a goal
#19 Caruso a goal
#18 Speers a goal

Thunder Bay Goal Scorers

#9 Hamlin a gaol
#7 Grzelewski a goal
#10 Kitt a goal

By far the best player out of both teams on the ice was Thunder Bay #9 Hamlin

This kid was flying with lots of speed and had good solid hit on Speers
His puck handling is excellent and reads the ice really well.

Second Game Thunder Bay AAA Kings 10-1

Thunder Bays #9 had 4 goals and two Assist he dominated the game again. This kid is playing really well. He has a long stride and drives wide very fast he can hit and what I like the most about him is he is gritty with great puck skills and see the ice really well if he continue to play like this into the OHL cup I see him moving up the rankings and should have no problem getting drafted.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:38 PM
KillerHockey

Third Game Of The Series Between Soo and Thunder Bay

Thunder Bay had a 3-0 lead with 3min left in the first until #9 Hamlin took a hitting from behind and was ejected from the game.

That's when Soo #18 Speer's took the game over with his great speed, hands and play making smarts. the Soo won 6-3

My thoughts on the game was there wasn't a player from the Thunder Bay team that could match Speers speed and skill.

Two game before that I thought the only player that could keep up and match Speer's speed and skill was #9 Hamlin from the Kings he was the best player on either team for the two previous games.

Other very noticeable players.

Soo Thunder

#14 Jason UHL #7 McPhail #4 Sicoly #17 Headrick

Kings,

#10 Kitt. #14 McKitrick #20 Minoletti #17 Stewart #7 Grzelewski

Old
02-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
[/B]

I'm looking forward to that as well. When is that, sometime mid-to late July?
Usually late July. Fingers crossed he's there, and gives it his all. If there's any time he's going to want to go full throttle, you figure it would be in this game.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:22 AM
defensehockey19

Petes now 4 points behind Kingston and its looking tougher and tougher to sneak into the playoffs...

If Petes pick before fronts think they gamble and take Strome? Or do they go for Konency/Spencer? I don't think Spencer reports but I think Konency might.

Ottawa- Day
Erie- Spencer
Petes- Konency
Fronts- Strome

Old
02-25-2013, 10:47 AM
U of C Trojan

Quote:
Petes now 4 points behind Kingston and its looking tougher and tougher to sneak into the playoffs...

If Petes pick before fronts think they gamble and take Strome? Or do they go for Konency/Spencer? I don't think Spencer reports but I think Konency might.

Ottawa- Day
Erie- Spencer
Petes- Konency
Fronts- Strome
Word is the 6 top forwards in the draft that will be in the Top 10. Konecny, Strome, Crouse, Stephens, Koretselev and Mackenzie. All bringing different attributes which is a teams preference.
Rumour still there that Ottawa will take Konecny. Petes will be better off taking a defensemen. Crouse now in mix for top 5.
Ottawa - Konecny
Erie - (Day) Strome or Crouse ( left winger for McDavid)
Petes - Spencer (said he wont report) Maybe an offensive D like Capobianco ? [B]Strome[/B] can play centre there no problem and contribute, Stephens wont report to Petes. Yes konecny will bring energy. The worst pick the Petes could take is Korestelev.
Kingston - Heard Crouse, as the thought is to put Spencer and Bennet in the middle. If not Strome will fit in there niceley.
Mississauga maybe they go after a Defensemen or local Strome
Niagara May take Stephens if Strome gone. If not Strome has the name to excite fans
Sudbury MacKenzie / Koretselev
Saginaw Rumour is Stephens
North Bay Defarius / Mackenzie
Soo Speers - definate pick.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:55 AM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by U of C Trojan View Post
Word is the 6 top forwards in the draft that will be in the Top 10. Konecny, Strome, Crouse, Stephens, Koretselev and Mackenzie. All bringing different attributes which is a teams preference.
Rumour still there that Ottawa will take Konecny. Petes will be better off taking a defensemen. Crouse now in mix for top 5.
Ottawa - Konecny
Erie - (Day) Strome or Crouse ( left winger for McDavid)
Petes - Spencer (said he wont report) Maybe an offensive D like Capobianco ? [B]Strome[/B] can play centre there no problem and contribute, Stephens wont report to Petes. Yes konecny will bring energy. The worst pick the Petes could take is Korestelev.
Kingston - Heard Crouse, as the thought is to put Spencer and Bennet in the middle. If not Strome will fit in there niceley.
Mississauga maybe they go after a Defensemen or local Strome
Niagara May take Stephens if Strome gone. If not Strome has the name to excite fans
Sudbury MacKenzie / Koretselev
Saginaw Rumour is Stephens
North Bay Defarius / Mackenzie
Soo Speers - definate pick.
I don't know much about Capobianco but that would be quite the stretch would it not at #3? If Ottawa passes on Day I will be blown away.. Don't think it happens. I think Petes need to draft a forward in first round and look for a euro defenceman because a euro can make more of an immediate impact on the back end.

I'd rather Henley then Capobianco.

Old
02-25-2013, 10:59 AM
jfb392

I don't understand this "Konecny to Ottawa even if Day receives EPS" talk.
Ignoring the already obvious reasons of why they'd take Day, you'd think the 67's would take the opinion of their Hall Of Fame talent evaluator Brian Kilrea, who has had some heady praise for the kid, into account..

Old
02-25-2013, 11:03 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Ottawa is definitely hot after Konecny (as is University of Michigan). In saying that, I think Ottawa is just doing their due diligence with Konecny. If Day is granted ES, I can't see them passing on him - he's too damn good.

Closed Thread