HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So Really, Why Is the CEC So Quiet?

Old
02-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Oxide

vCash: 50
He's been spoiled by Winnipeg's crowd.

Oxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
He's not wrong. And team management has to do a better job of making sure tickets can be affordable for kids in the 18-28 age bracket, not just the yuppies and bankers who can pay $80-$100 for a mid-level hockey seat + parking and concessions, and mix them (the kids) throughout the crowd.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Shockmaster

I think the Penguins organization needs to try and do more to get the crowd riled up. Show videos of hits, fights, and goals on the jumbotron with appropriate music. No more of this "kissy cam" stuff or showing some kid with a sign that says "FIRST PENGUINS GAME!"

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

They haven't given the home crowd much to cheer for so far. Maybe if they started playing at home like they do on the road.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:25 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
He's not wrong. And team management has to do a better job of making sure tickets can be affordable for kids in the 18-28 age bracket, not just the yuppies and bankers who can pay $80-$100 for a mid-level hockey seat + parking and concessions, and mix them (the kids) throughout the crowd.
I don't think they really care how loud it is, as long as it's sold out at the highest possible price. I know the Pens have been pretty good about the younger fans, but I don't think making tickets more affordable for them is something they'll consider.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:25 PM
On Vinyl
Oh Danny Boy

They've been pretty terrible at home this year. Under .500 with some blowout losses.

On Vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I don't think they really care how loud it is, as long as it's sold out at the highest possible price. I know the Pens have been pretty good about the younger fans, but I don't think making tickets more affordable for them is something they'll consider.
You're not wrong either, and until they prove us wrong the building will continue to be quiet most nights.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:27 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Eh it was rocking on Wednesday.

It's a fan problem too though. Sat next to 2 kids (20 somethings) last game, didn't cheer once. In fact, not sure they even looked up beyond their iphone the whole game. Which is disappointing/unfortunate. But not suprising.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
They haven't given the home crowd much to cheer for so far. Maybe if they started playing at home like they do on the road.
this

Hugh Madbrough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
I think the Penguins organization needs to try and do more to get the crowd riled up. Show videos of hits, fights, and goals on the jumbotron with appropriate music. No more of this "kissy cam" stuff or showing some kid with a sign that says "FIRST PENGUINS GAME!"
yeah more video montages with nickelback in the background is definitely what we need.

they wanna get the crowd riled up? play well at home, make the beer cheap. Make the tickets cheap. Get the college kids to come.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:43 PM
cassius

As annoying as it is to see the CEC like a library, I really think it's just a function of economics. The corporate types are paying $150-$200 a ticket to sit in the lower bowl so they can shmooze clients, not watch the game.

Penguins games are increasingly becoming an opportunity for biz executives to network and close deals, rather than a simple leisure activity for the casual fan.

When ticket prices start creeping up to the $150+ territory, the only folks who can afford to go on a regular basis are the businessmen. If they spend $300 on tickets and it results in a business deal being finalized, it's an easily justifiable expense. You would be surprised. A lot of business deals get closed on the golf course or at a sporting event.

Personally, I could never fathom spending that much on a ticket to a sporting event.. and I think the average fan would have a similar viewpoint.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:47 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Not disagreeing with this, but how would you suggest making this happen? I know the Student Rush was originally made for that purpose, to sell tickets to the 18-24 set just to get more people in the door during the X-Gen days. Nowadays it's more of a one-off promotion that is used for marketing to the new fan and filling the CEC on "slow nights" (read: teams low in the standings) instead of being a necessity.

You lower ticket prices, then you also run the chance of having a team that doesn't spend to the cap.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:17 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

In the end of the day it's still a business and older people have more money. You can talk about the acoustics, which is crap plenty of similar buildings get much louder, but in the end it's the people in the seats. What are you going to do? Bring back rush & sacrifice millions in revenue so the building can be a little louder? People just need to realize it will never be the way it was when half the crowds were college kids.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

I was at the game Wednesday, seemed pretty freakin' loud to me.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:31 PM
SherogoesHAM

A lot of season tickets are owned by companies. They give their tickets away a lot of the time and it's not to crazy hockey fans.

SherogoesHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:43 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2Lf6XoLlf

I know it's a bit of a tired subject, but still. Hadn't heard any player comments on it really (in a negative way) until now.
Cool, the guy who thinks Briere is the dirtiest player on the Flyers thinks the crowd is quiet when the team puts up stinkers.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:46 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Glass should try doing something on the ice cheer-worthy.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:59 PM
Kovifan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Eh it was rocking on Wednesday.

It's a fan problem too though. Sat next to 2 kids (20 somethings) last game, didn't cheer once. In fact, not sure they even looked up beyond their iphone the whole game. Which is disappointing/unfortunate. But not suprising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
I was at the game Wednesday, seemed pretty freakin' loud to me.
It's our biggest rival. When people buy single game tickets go on sale these are generally the first grabbed by people who are diehard penguin fans.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

I would rather have 18,650 insurance salesmen with briefcases at the arena than a normal crowd with 30 witless retards "wooing." Seriously, Pittsburgh, other cities and colleges stopped doing that a years ago. Catch up. Annoying.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:29 PM
UnrealMachine

Crowd full of women in their mid 40's at the Bon Jovi concert last night were significantly louder than a typical Pens' Game. Now you can hear the jagoffs "woo-ing" on tv.

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Til the End of Time

ha, all these people saying the arena isnt quiet and that it just sounds that way on tv.

then a player calls out the fans for being too quiet.

quality stuff.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Adams27

Must be a lot of Rick Flair fans WOOOOOOOO

Adams27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinzerpenguiN View Post
Must be a lot of Rick Flair fans WOOOOOOOO
Like I said: morons.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:44 PM
SirBrad

What is wooing? Are you taking about what Philly fans do to all of their players with the "ooooooh" sound? I noticed Pens fans doing that to Vokoooooooooun the other day, so freaking annoying.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
What is wooing? Are you taking about what Philly fans do to all of their players with the "ooooooh" sound? I noticed Pens fans doing that to Vokoooooooooun the other day, so freaking annoying.
At most Pens and Pirates games there are about 20 or 30 witless, attention-seeking jagoffs who "woooo" as loud as they can, regardless of what is happening on the ice or field. It is probably the most moronic means of self-amusement imaginable and anyone who does it should be fair game to be beaten into submission by enraged masses. They're like small children who piss their pants as a drastic means to get attention from their busy parents. If they all died brutally, no one would care. Worthless, pointless people.