HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is MaxPac the second best pick in the 2007 draft?

Old
04-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Sargent Pepper*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector View Post
Jamie Benn says hi!

My ranking would probably be:
1-Patrick Kane
2-Jamie Benn
3-Logan Couture
4-PK Subban
5-Max Pacioretty
6-James Van Riemsdyk
7-David Perron
8-Wayne Simmonds
9-Jakub Voracek
10-Ryan Mcdonagh
Then you have guys like Eller, Shattenkirk, B. Sutter, Alzner, Sam Gagner, Kyle Turris,etc.
Although I am not a Sens fan, I live in Ottawa and I was impressed with Turris this year.....he certainly beats some of the guys you have in the top 10....He could climb as high has 6th on this list.

Not only was he productive but he was an all around player for Ottawa. the makings of a star for sure....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
I still think the worst trade ever was the Golden Seals getting an old and washed up Ralph Backstrom for their 1st overall pick, in which we drafted Guy Lafleur. Gomez trade won't top that unless McDonagh becomes a HOF defender imo.
Yup, ol Pollack passed a fast one to California on that day and it secured our cups of the 70s.....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 05:58 PM
muzion

People don't realize how good Perron has been lately. If he played for a more offensive-oriented team we'd definitely hear some rumblings from the French media

I believe he'll end up being better than Pacioretty, but it doesn't matter since we drafted the power forward we haven't had in years.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
People don't realize how good Perron has been lately. If he played for a more offensive-oriented team we'd definitely hear some rumblings from the French media

I believe he'll end up being better than Pacioretty, but it doesn't matter since we drafted the power forward we haven't had in years.
Pacioretty was the right player for the Habs, particularly because of the synergy with Cole. Ranking him retrospectively achieves nothing. Leave that meaningless exercise to les canards et les oies, who flap their toothless bills from the middle of the pond and then paddle to the edge to snatch the stale bread thrown to them. (Réjean et Bertrand, I hardly recognized you.)

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 04-08-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: addition
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:40 PM
theboss*

Thank god we did not take perron

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2012, 06:55 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I was just saying that the way you phrased it is a nice way of looking at it that's all. It's kind of the way we have to look at things if we want to be positive.

What happened happened... nothing we can do about, so we might as well just try to hope for the best in the future. The top five pick will (hopefully) help.
Yep, I agree.

Quote:
I didn't suggest or think that you did.
Sorry, I misunderstood that.

Quote:
Right, I get it. All I was trying to do was answer your question. And yeah, I think it's bad despite the top 5 pick. I gave my reasoning why above.
Thats fair.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Time to bump the thread...

Every single year, Patches seems to get better. This year, his passing has improved and he's still on a PPG pace after a bad start.

Since being called up in 2010 here are his numbers...

10-11: 24 pts in 37 games (0.65 pts/game)
11-12: 65 pts in 79 games (0.82 pts/game)
12-13: 13 pts in 13 games (1 pts/game)

With his 65 pts last year, he had the best season any 2007 draftee not named Patrick Kane has ever had.

This year, Benn and Couture (who had less pts than him last year) are scoring at a slower pace than Max.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Time to bump the thread...

Every single year, Patches seems to get better. This year, his passing has improved and he's still on a PPG pace after a bad start.

Since being called up in 2010 here are his numbers...

10-11: 24 pts in 37 games (0.65 pts/game)
11-12: 65 pts in 79 games (0.82 pts/game)
12-13: 13 pts in 13 games (1 pts/game)

With his 65 pts last year, he had the best season any 2007 draftee not named Patrick Kane has ever had.

This year, Benn and Couture (who had less pts than him last year) are scoring at a slower pace than Max.
I've come to believe that PK Subban was the best player in that draft. That's how I feel right now anyway... Definitely not the consensus choice but it's who I'd take.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I've come to believe that PK Subban was the best player in that draft. That's how I feel right now anyway... Definitely not the consensus choice but it's who I'd take.
Me too. This draft produced lots and lots of player who could all be considered top of the class... Players like JVR, Benn, Couture, Patches, Kane are all for me on the same level or close. Who has more value? Id say D then C then W.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:57 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Really don't get the argument that PK is better than Paccioretty. Sure PK has the talent to become a Norris winner, but Max is such a well rounded player who never really "messes" up. PK still has his occasional headaches. I think if this was a full season, MaxPac would burn through it and be considered among the league's elite by the end of it.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Max Pac > PK Subban

And I am a big Subban fan.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:00 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Patrick Kane's recent play says otherwise. Lets also not forget that he scored the GWG of the Stanley Cup finals. I'm a big Subban fan boy but even I'm not that delusional. Benn and Couture are close to Subban though but Patrick Kane imo is in another tier. Maybe in the next 2 years I'll be wrong but not now that's for sure.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Really don't get the argument that PK is better than Paccioretty. Sure PK has the talent to become a Norris winner, but Max is such a well rounded player who never really "messes" up. PK still has his occasional headaches. I think if this was a full season, MaxPac would burn through it and be considered among the league's elite by the end of it.
PK consistently plays well. It's rare for him to have an off night. I just expect him to be good.

Max is a streaky scorer and he's a bit one dimensional. If he's not scoring, I don't really notice him. I love the guy but he's not close to PK. I used to think that PK would be a one way blueliner but he's become so much more than that.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Patrick Kane's recent play says otherwise. Lets also not forget that he scored the GWG of the Stanley Cup finals. I'm a big Subban fan boy but even I'm not that delusional. Benn and Couture are close to Subban though but Patrick Kane imo is in another tier. Maybe in the next 2 years I'll be wrong but not now that's for sure.
I know Kane has the better resume on paper. I know he'd be the consensus number one pick by most people. But I think right now PK is the better player. I may look back on this thread in a few years with embarrassment but right now I think PK Subban is the best player in that draft. And I say that after having doubted him early on. He started his pro career later and he hasn't got the resume that Kane does but I'm not arguing that he did. He's been amazing and it's not his fault he's been on bad teams.

I also think that MT is an idiot for having him on a leash right now...

Old
02-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Patrick Kane of a few years ago is not the same as he his now. He's picked it up but I need more time.
Quote:
PK consistently plays well. It's rare for him to have an off night. I just expect him to be good.

Max is a streaky scorer and he's a bit one dimensional. If he's not scoring, I don't really notice him. I love the guy but he's not close to PK. I used to think that PK would be a one way blueliner but he's become so much more than that.
Both players are great its not about who is worse, its about who is better.
Don't turn this into a Eller-DD type conversation People.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Both players are great its not about who is worse, its about who is better.
Don't turn this into a Eller-DD type conversation People.
What are you talking about? I said I love both players. I don't see Pac as being nearly as good as PK though.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Maelpj*

Let's not forget Sam Gagner , the kid is on fire this year.

Kevin Shattenkirk is solid D-man too for the blues with great offensive skill. 14 points in 17 games this season, 42 points last season.

Maelpj* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
What are you talking about? I said I love both players. I don't see Pac as being nearly as good as PK though.
I don't know why I quoted you TBH... Just meant it as a general tought .
Because, you know it will happen.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post
Let's not forget Sam Gagner , the kid is on fire this year.

Kevin Shattenkirk is solid D-man too for the blues with great offensive skill. 14 points in 17 games this season, 42 points last season.
Its interesting to talk about now because all these players are in their early 20s. Some players (Gagner for example) will emerge and others will fall away. JVRD could turn out to be the best pick. It's taken him a long time to deliver but it's starting to happen. This thread would be fun to read in five years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I don't know why I quoted you TBH... Just meant it as a general tought .
Because, you know it will happen.
Okay.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 02-22-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 10:17 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Subban>Pacioretty

PK plays every situation, could play 30mins if needed, and excells at both ends of the rink. He also brings physicality and flash individual efforts that make him a gamebreaker.

Patch is a big, fast shooter who has a nose for the net. He isn't bad defensively, but I wouldn't call him a two-way guy. Streaky, but very valuable.

Subban just has more dimensions than Pacioretty, though I think both are great.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Roulin

The TSN mock from 2007 is pretty fun. Apparently the best way for the Habs to use their pick was to "stimulate the fans":

"McGuire Says:
Montreal is upset about McDonagh coming off the board. That being said, Montreal is dying for a local person to stimulate the fans and the team. The Canadiens are not going to miss this time like they did by passing on Denis Savard years ago. Esposito has some maturing to do, but the Habs think he can do it. Cuthbert scooped me on Couture, and MacLean took McDonagh, so Esposito is next.
"

Obviously, credit where credit is due, he had McDonagh and Couture higher. I just think his reasoning for the Esposito pick is ridiculous.

All in all though, the mock may have worked out better than the real thing for many teams. Hickey, Hamill and Plante were taken in more reasonable spots than in the actual draft.

Last edited by Roulin: 02-22-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:34 PM
Teufelsdreck

I don't care where he's ranked now but I was relieved that he was still available at #22. He turned out to be even better than I thought.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:48 AM
BlackStar

I like Subban a lot, but he is not better than Max, at-least not right now. Max is playing like a PPG forward right now, that's almost as good as it gets for a forward, PK could be and may very well be better soon, but right now? He is not better. But man, Timmins owned that draft.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Jamie Benn could be more valuable than Kane as early as next season. That guy is a beast.
Not to mention Kane's a drunk lol he won't be around 5 more seasons I bet

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
Not to mention Kane's a drunk lol he won't be around 5 more seasons I bet
I'll take that bet

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote