HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
Honestly, why give up assets? Give me a good if slightly overpaid UFA every day of the week. (Kessel-rule)

Even if we have to overpay by 500K a year to get a ROR-equivalent UFA....who wouldn't part with 500K in cap space to keep silfverberg?
I would absolutely do that. Where are you going to find a ROR equivalent UFA? It just doesn't happen, and when it does they don't come to Ottawa. Especially not a 22 year old version of that player who has the chance to grow and develop under our system with our players. Chemistry is underrated in sports.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:17 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I would absolutely do that. Where are you going to find a ROR equivalent UFA? It just doesn't happen, and when it does they don't come to Ottawa. Especially not a 22 year old version of that player who has the chance to grow and develop under our system with our players. Chemistry is underrated in sports.
He's unpopular but how about Derek Roy? Great centerman who also plays the wing. Left shot, 29 years old, local boy.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
I would absolutely do that.

A) Where are you going to find a ROR equivalent UFA?

B) It just doesn't happen, and when it does they don't come to Ottawa.
A) Suter, Parise, Wideman, Semin from last year alone were good options

B) Gonchar was the best d-man available. We overpaid a bit and he signed. Semin signed in Carolina of all places.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
He's unpopular but how about Derek Roy? Great centerman who also plays the wing. Left shot, 29 years old, local boy.
Aside from the fact that I would love to punch Roy in the face because I hate it, he would be a good pick-up for us. Obviously I would prefer ROR, but Roy is a good player and would fit in well in our top 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenix Rises 2026 View Post
A) Suter, Parise, Wideman, Semin from last year alone were good options

B) Gonchar was the best d-man available. We overpaid a bit and he signed. Semin signed in Carolina of all places.
None of those guys are selke calibre centres. Good players though -- but the good, youngish ones didn't sign here and historically haven't signed here. Would have loved to have Semin or Suter...not as big a fan of Parise as most.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
I'm scared to death of the contract Clarkson might get if he decided to go to free agency. He's reminding me a little of Gary Roberts right now though.

I would have said Clutterbuck would have been a nice guy to bring in out to bring a physical presence to our line up but Taylor Hall may have ended his career last night.
What do you think he will get on the open market? $4-5 million wouldn't be too bad. There would still be a big risk that he doesn't put up the same point totals throughout the remainder of his career. It would have been a lot more concerning if he was a free agent after last season.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
I'd settle for Hartnell and Matt Read.
Scott Hartnell would be an awesome acquisition.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

Quote:
The good, youngish ones didn't sign here and historically haven't signed here.
I don't think that's really fair. I haven't seen much indication that Murray has ever really jumped in to any of these bidding wars for the big name UFAs. We got Gonchar and Kovalev, who were both probably in reasonable demand at the time.

I don't see why we couldn't land the big name players if we're willing to pay a slight premium to get them to come here. Who's really going to walk away from millions of dollars because they think Ottawa's too cold?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
I don't have nearly as much insight as you do, but from the games that I watched of the Avs last year (and the 2 I watched this year before Lando went down) it seemed to me that ROR was the catalyst on that line. Landeskog is a great player and creates a lot of space, he's great around the net and a great leader (obviously amazing defensively and creates a lot of energy). I find that ROR is the one that really made the line tick though -- he made every player that he played with better when I watched whether it was passes, helping out in coverage, working hard to create opportunities, etc.

I think they both complement eachother very well, but Lando didn't look as effective this year without ROR by his side. I know it was a small sample size though.

Thanks for at least putting Mandy in his place...he tends to spout off a lot with hyperbole and acts like he's omniscient.
Well, O'Reilly really only played with Landy all year, and the other winger being a combination of mostly Hejduk in the first half, and then Downie after he was acquired.

I don't like the financial demands he's made, but it's hard to tell what's really going on. Someone who knows him says it stemmed from something he took personally in negotiations during the summer, which made him feel unappreciated.

Between the two of them, I'd take Landy because of the passion and energy he brings, and that I think he has another level to get to offensively being a bit more naturally talented.

O'Reilly really is a special player though. His value comes from being that player at center ice, and taking big draws, and just making the big clutch plays that may not always show up on the scoresheet. A team will win with that kind of player no doubt. He's Drury without the injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Lando played better than Ror
That's debatable. It's not a question of who's better, they're both special. Neither leached off each other.

If you guys do somehow end up with O'Reilly (who knows how this is gonna end up, but McKenzie believes you're the leading candidate for some reason) he will make your team better in many ways, and you will appreciated the hell out of him. No matter what kind of center depth you have right now.

He's the prototypical 2nd line center, behind an offensively talented #1 like Spezza. He's stocked to the brim with intangibles, and clutch play offensively, defensively, and in most every other area. He's in the mold of a Chris Drury or Mike Richards. He may very well have another level to get to offensively as well, given the right role and linemates. At worst, if you play him as a legit #2, instead of with two other top centers like in Colorado, you'll probably get the kind of offensive production you saw last year, 50-60 points, and great in all other areas of the game.

I'm not sure why McKenzie thinks the Sens are the leading candidate, it doesn't seem like we're great trading partners given your natural reluctance to part with big pieces, but if you do end up with him, I think you could move guys to the wing, or re-organize things through trade somehow to address other needs. I don't think your current center depth would necessarily preclude Murray from having a strong desire for a player like O'Reilly.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:07 AM
DJB

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Please, this is just wrong.

All credibility is disappearing with a statement like this.
Sorry but he is right.Ceci was drafted as a defensive defenceman but his offensive game took off last year.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:10 AM
DJB

vCash: 50
MM -Spez- Perry
Zib - ROR - Alfie
? - Turris - Silf

Looks like pretty solid top 9 if you ask me.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:30 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
Huck Farper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
MM -Spez- Perry
Zib - ROR - Alfie
? - Turris - Silf

Looks like pretty solid top 9 if you ask me.
Did you trade Cowen for O'Reilly?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Rhino Reilly
That D Biz

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Did you trade Cowen for O'Reilly?
Don't forget the magic beans. They're the key piece.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:58 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Cowen has the potential to be another Shea Weber. Whether he reaches that potential remains to be seen, but he still has that potential. You are correct in your statment, Cowen isn't simply a "shutdown d man".
At worst, he'll be a primetime Suter...

Old
02-23-2013, 03:28 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
At worst, he'll be a primetime Suter...
Technically, "at worst", he won't ever recover properly from hip surgery, loses a ton of mobility & acceleration, and fades quickly from the league.

If Cowen turns into "Primetime Suter", I'd consider that far, FAR closer to "at best" than "at worst".

Old
02-23-2013, 03:39 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Technically, "at worst", he won't ever recover properly from hip surgery, loses a ton of mobility & acceleration, and fades quickly from the league.

If Cowen turns into "Primetime Suter", I'd consider that far, FAR closer to "at best" than "at worst".
Haha, yes, I agree with you. If we look at it, Cowen was a 4/5 on a team that wasn't the deepest on D, and followed that up with season-ending hip surgery.

I think the general assumption that Cowen is going to be a stud #2 for sure is a tad too optimistic.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:48 AM
krapsik

Maybe its time to split this topic to "Trade Rumours" and whatever the other thread can be named ?

Old
02-23-2013, 04:18 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post

M'kay, as a minimum I expect to him to be on par with Suter then...

Old
02-23-2013, 07:47 AM
Methot Man
The Rhythm Methot

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapsik View Post
Maybe its time to split this topic to "Trade Rumours" and whatever the other thread can be named ?
I second that...

Old
02-23-2013, 10:11 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
I would love to acquire Roy. Above a 65 point pace every year since the lockout besides last, played on some really good teams... I suspect the cost would be relatively high. Probably Greening + or a 2nd + prospect.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
I would love to acquire Roy. Above a 65 point pace every year since the lockout besides last, played on some really good teams... I suspect the cost would be relatively high. Probably Greening + or a 2nd + prospect.
I'd rather just wait until he's a UFA this summer.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Sorry but he is right.Ceci was drafted as a defensive defenceman but his offensive game took off last year.
If it hadn't have been for Ceci's great offensive year in 2011-12 he most likely wouldn't have been drafted in the first round.

The concern scouts had about Ceci was his lack of physical play and his play without the puck in the defensive zone.

While Ceci was second to Hamilton in D scoring, he wasn't close when it comes to the defensive side of the game.

Murray said "Ceci’s offensive abilities are particularly desirable with the way hockey is played today. I think today’s game almost demands that you have three or four guys on the back end that can contribute offensively, and help to get the puck going.”

Dorion said “I think he’s got to work on a few things. He’s got to work on his play away from the puck. But his play with the puck is definitely of NHL calibre. I think he’s strong enough to play in the NHL.

These comments were made on draft day, both refer to Ceci's offensive skills as his upside, not his defense.

I can't find the article, however when Ceci was in training camp with the Sens, both Murray and MacLean told him to work on his defensive zone play back in junior.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:50 AM
CarknerCountry

Best i would do is..

Zibby
Wier
Puemple

ROR
Barrie

Old
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Mmk. He entered the OHL as a stay at home defenceman (probably better described as a mobile defensive defenceman) and played mainly defensively leading up to that point -- it was in the OHL that he developed his potent offensive game.
I agree, he was always a mobile puck mover, not a defensive D as most people understand the meaning.

Prior to entering the OHL, he played for Peterborough Petes Minor Midget AAA, in 58 games he scored 24 goals, 48 assists for 72 points. These numbers don't suggest he played mainly defensively or developed his offensive flair at 18.

At 16 he started his OHL career and managed 12 points, at 17 produced 34 points and in his all important draft year as an 18 year old 60 points. Cody is headed for another 50-60 point season this year as a 19 year old.

The numbers from midget through his OHL career show his puck skills always existed. However through his developing years he was never noted for his physical play or outstanding defence.

It was his defence that kept him off Team Canada, his offense got him the consideration.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Murray said "Cecis offensive abilities are particularly desirable with the way hockey is played today. I think todays game almost demands that you have three or four guys on the back end that can contribute offensively, and help to get the puck going.

Dorion said I think hes got to work on a few things. Hes got to work on his play away from the puck. But his play with the puck is definitely of NHL calibre. I think hes strong enough to play in the NHL.

These comments were made on draft day, both refer to Ceci's offensive skills as his upside, not his defense.
All you are doing is quoting and stat watching. Did you watch him play at all in Ottawa? Yes, he became a very potent offensive defenceman, but the reality is that his defensive instincts are good. Almost every defenceman in the league needs to take time when they are young to work on their decision making and "play away from the puck". They aren't directly criticizing his defensive play -- he's smart, and he plays well in his own zone. He isn't physical, but he has never been a physical guy.

Plus, I never said that he was some defensive stalwart right now anyway. Just that he was originally a defensive defenceman (which he was). He understands the defensive side of the game, but he gave some of that up when transitioning to a more offensive style. Karlsson was the same way can we not agree that he has shown to have a ton of defensive ability now?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:56 AM
Benjamin
Chub n' Tuck

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
Best i would do is..

Zibby
Wier
Puemple

ROR
Barrie
Whats the point of a Wiercioch and Barrie swap? Im sure neither team would want that.

Closed Thread