HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tank or no Tank!

View Poll Results: What should the Caps do?
Tank and trade UFA's 36 43.90%
Tank and re-tool 36 43.90%
Trade futures to right the ship 2 2.44%
Stand pat, hoping they pull it together. 8 9.76%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-22-2013, 03:03 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMrules View Post
The funny thing to me about people looking towards the future, is that some of you actually seem to think that Kuz is actually going to come over. By the time he decides, who knows where the team will stand, as well as what kind of personnel we will have on the ice. I'd think that he might be hesitant, and just stay at home where the money is. Nothing has lured him over this far, it's just prevented him from making the jump.
FFS.

TRAKTOR IS POOR. HES NOT PLAYING FOR ANY OTHER KHL TEAM.

Just come out and ****ing say what you really believe, just call him a dirty dishonest ******* Russian, because that's what you really think.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Stewie G

Another funny thing is people who have no personal knowledge of a situation proclaiming to have a better idea of what a player might do than what other people who have an equally non-existant relationship with the player in question do.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Atlas

Kuz is an interesting prospect but, unfortunately, probably not a savior and he might not even come over. I like Forsberg too but he might only be a 2nd line winger (and that's cool, man...that's cool).

I'm very pessimistic about the Caps chances for a Cup with the current core. They don't look like winners.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

with only about 30 games left in the season and caps still dead last in the NHL
If season ended today caps could be no worst then 2nd overall pick.

I hope GMGM is a seller at the deadline and cashes in on none core players going into a real NHL season next year.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:23 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Kuz is an interesting prospect but, unfortunately, probably not a savior and he might not even come over. I like Forsberg too but he might only be a 2nd line winger (and that's cool, man...that's cool).

I'm very pessimistic about the Caps chances for a Cup with the current core. They don't look like winners.
They'll all go win their Cups as parts of better-run teams.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:48 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMrules View Post
The funny thing to me about people looking towards the future, is that some of you actually seem to think that Kuz is actually going to come over. By the time he decides, who knows where the team will stand, as well as what kind of personnel we will have on the ice. I'd think that he might be hesitant, and just stay at home where the money is. Nothing has lured him over this far, it's just prevented him from making the jump.
W/e, there's clearly a decent chance of him coming over; nothing is certain in this world, anyway, except for d & t, I guess.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 08:49 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Aren't we all past looking for saviors at this point, anyway? I want a well-built team with some exciting players, that's about it.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Dream world caps next year

new player Ribero Ovechkin
Kuzya Backstrom new player
new players
new players

Jones Carlson
Alzner Green
new players

Old
02-22-2013, 09:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

You want to know why top-5 defenseman picks have such a track record of struggling? Because they're thrown into a major NHL role too early.

If they draft Jones, they should leave him in Portland for another year. Maybe give him a bottom pairing role with a vet. Nothing more.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
You want to know why top-5 defenseman picks have such a track record of struggling? Because they're thrown into a major NHL role too early.

If they draft Jones, they should leave him in Portland for another year. Maybe give him a bottom pairing role with a vet. Nothing more.
GMGM has shown patience with prospects if we are lucky enough to get Jones I remember many wanting alzner called up earlier then he was. So im sure he wouldnt be rushed but would be tempting to add a 6-4 speedy Dman with a nasty shot right away.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:36 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Aren't we all past looking for saviors at this point, anyway? I want a well-built team with some exciting players, that's about it.

Yeah, I think I know what you mean. The way the Caps are now they need a savior-type. An unstoppable force to hide the other player's weaknesses.

I'd build the Caps like the Red Wings and Avs teams with Yzerman and Sakic. Those teams needed those guys but they didn't do it alone. If Kuz is a winger then we can expect lots of goals and an improved PP. We definitely need that. But that's basically what we had with Semin. We still need more guts up the middle. Backstrom looks like a low 1C or high 2C right now. 70 pts and decent D from him (Not great). Ribs, I don't know how long he'll be here and he sucks at face-offs. Laich doesn't scare opposing teams at 3C.

At D, we have no bruisers other than Erskine and he's not a top 4 guy. Our D is a mess, really. Alzner is solid. Carlson, we'll see. He's not dominant back there.

Goalie is also a question mark.

We have a team full of matadors. They don't dominate in any area of the game that I can think of. They don't hit or fight. They're not very strong up the middle of the ice...they have little to be confident about on O.

Forever ago, Stevens, Langway, Hatcher for awhile, then Tinordi...those guys dominated the play in the D zone. Of course, it's hard to find those guys but that's a huge weakness the Caps have.

Kuz and Forsberg will help from the wings but we still need guts in the middle of the ice.

(If Kuz plans to be a C in the NHL that'd be great. He has been a C at times. But I think he plans to be a wing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:39 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

I agree with defenseman.. It's a tougher job than a forward sometimes.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:18 PM
dillyboy93

Anyone else see that thread on the main board about McPhee apparently having one on one meetings with certain players this morning and many speculating it was about letting them know that they were gonna be sellers at the deadline.

dillyboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:27 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillyboy93 View Post
Anyone else see that thread on the main board about McPhee apparently having one on one meetings with certain players this morning and many speculating it was about letting them know that they were gonna be sellers at the deadline.
Link? I didn't see one. Via twitter GMGM talking to AO before he went out on the ice for practice is the only thing I heard.

02-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
If that's true, it's almost a certainty that he'll be leading a re-rebuild. That's disturbing.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:47 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Supposedly GMGM will be "evaluating" young players towards the end of the season. He's also been shopping Hamrlik and Johansson the entire season drawing zero interest.

There is almost no chance Seth Jones gets another year in Portland if he gets drafted by the Caps. He is physically ready to play in the NHL, his background is marketer's dream, and for a franchise more obsessed with marketing image than winning that's in need of a new ticket draw.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:08 PM
dillyboy93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Supposedly GMGM will be "evaluating" young players towards the end of the season. He's also been shopping Hamrlik and Johansson the entire season drawing zero interest.

There is almost no chance Seth Jones gets another year in Portland if he gets drafted by the Caps. He is physically ready to play in the NHL, his background is marketer's dream, and for a franchise more obsessed with marketing image than winning that's in need of a new ticket draw.
Hmm not surprised about Hamrlik, but I would think Johansson would at least have some value. Bad start or not.

dillyboy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:33 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
I know you love to hate him, but if GMGM was in fact shopping Johansson, there is no chance that there would be zero interest.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:34 PM
BPMrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
FFS.

TRAKTOR IS POOR. HES NOT PLAYING FOR ANY OTHER KHL TEAM.

Just come out and ****ing say what you really believe, just call him a dirty dishonest ******* Russian, because that's what you really think.
Whoa, dude.

I was just saying that it seems he is content with playing in his comfort zone, and relatively undecided about coming over here, by putting it off until after the Olympics. Settle down, bud.

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Halpysback

Another reason top 5 defensemen "bust" so often is because there's a much bigger gap between traits that make a great junior defenseman and traits that make a great NHL defenseman than for forwards. You can have an absolutely dominant defenseman in juniors getting by being a man amongst boys, without much hockey IQ needed for elite defensemen at the next level. Johnson, Johnson, Jovanovski, etc. Jones strikes me as similar to the aforementioned.

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:51 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
I've been following this team for 25 years, through 3 work stoppages, something like 7 blown 3-1 series leads, and something like 5 or 6 legitimate hey-I'm-happy-I'm-a-Caps-fan-right-now moments over that span. Like Tink Tink's dead girlfriend I keep coming back for the abuse despite the arsenal of evidence that the Caps would rather shoot me in the head than let me use their toilet. But you've got to look at this situation and say this team needs to tank to move forward with the next generation, because even if they sneak in as the 8th seed it'll just embolden Leonsis and GMGM that they've got a blueprint for competing for a cup.
You should post more.

I'm still holding out hopes for the playoffs until we're officially eliminated. I'll always go down with the ship I guess.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 02-23-2013 at 12:56 AM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:53 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
I know you love to hate him, but if GMGM was in fact shopping Johansson, there is no chance that there would be zero interest.
He probably means of value greater than a low 2nd rounder or B prospect.

Johansson is no longer capable of clearing values which cuts his value down quite a bit.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Halpysback

*waivers

Old
02-23-2013, 02:34 AM
BPMrules

I agree, having also spent easily the last 20-25 years religiously watching this hockey team. I've seen us have a team of grinders, as well as having superstar talent on the roster. I've never seen a team this listless since the post Jagr era. Then we at least had an excuse as we sent pretty much anyone of value out of town, in an effort to begin the rebuild. We've seen a handful of coaches unable to take this team to the next level, and a GM who has done more ineffective things than those that were beneficial. I used to question Poile a lot(Scott Stevens, anyone?), but never questioned the GM as much as I have the last few years, when we really had a shot at a cup, I thought.

The team right now is searching for an identity again, constructed by a GM who's hired coaches to make do with the players he's left him with, without fixing glaring holes in the lineup. Opting to take a cheap risk instead of just shelling out a little bit of money for a quality player. They've also basically played a different system every season, a couple times learning a new one during the season. It's time to face facts that as much as it will hurt to watch them limp their way through the rest of the season, that it's most likely going to be the case.

There's gonna be some guys out there now who are gonna be gone in a month or so. It's time to think about next year and what we can do to get everyone on the same page, giving maximum effort, and putting out what is expected of them. GMGM is included in this, for now, because if we fail miserably for another month, he should be gone(fingers crossed). If we were lucky, he would have been gone when Hunter walked out the door. A fresh start in the front office and behind the bench were what this team needed more than anything, but instead, we hope for the best, cause GMGM has sold himself to Ted long ago, obviously.

If we luck out, we can maybe have a decent year next year that we can be happy about and proud of. Not another season where we either get disappointed before Christmas, or in the beginning of April. Totally blowing it this year was not how I saw this season going, at all. It's a shame, and everyone in the organization, for the most part, is to blame.

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:34 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
It's becoming clear the irony in doing well this year, eeking into an 8 spot, will be insurance that George retains his job. Insult to injury, he will retain his UFAs and spend a few more picks at the deadline only to lose in the 2nd round.

A full on tank job is another wasted season of depreciating assets. Ovi ain't getting any younger. But with a new coach in hand George can easily pin on the system. George may be a seller and land us picks but to be honest, trust some here to make the picks as much as him.

Its becoming clearer than ever from reading many great posts this morning, that the architect is failing us and Ted.

Problem Summary:
  1. George has an excuse this year, if we tank or not.
  2. George keeps rebuilding the same team expecting different results (hat tip to g00n)
  3. His ongoing preference for rookie coaches ensures job security further
  4. Hershey is bare and thus I have lost trust in his handling of our farm system, the gateway for our prospects to develop. Its a sign of a closing cup window

I wonder if ted's email is still active. The best way to proceed, however, may be to email Dick Patrick.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-23-2013 at 07:44 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote