HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets Prospect Thread 2012-13 (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 09:53 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Scheifele the goon - got booted from the game for boarding, and picked up an unsportsmanlike at the same time.
That doesn't make me unhappy .

Old
02-22-2013, 10:07 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
That doesn't make me unhappy .
I didn't watch the game, but if you look at the stat sheet, something definitely got him peeved - he picked up a couple of penalties in addition to the misconduct.

Goon.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Trouba with 1 G and 2 A tonight, leading Michigan to a 5-3 win over Ohio State. 9-14-23 in 28 games in the NCAA so far.

Too soon to suggest Trouba is our best prospect?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:42 PM
Boreal

Nope. Trouba is the real deal as far as I am concerned. I like Scheifele, but he is more Bumblebee to Trouba's Optimus Prime.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
This must have been quite the brawl that occurred during the second period of Kelowna's game...

Quote:
2 - KEL C. Martin, 16:48 - Major-Fighting, 5 min
2 - KEL R. Olsen, 16:48 - 10-Minute Misconduct, 10 min
2 - KEL D. Severson, 16:48 - 10-Minute Misconduct, 10 min
2 - VIC J. Fransoo, 16:48 - 10-Minute Misconduct, 10 min
2 - VIC J. Hicketts, 16:48 - Major-Fighting, 5 min
2 - VIC S. Hodges, 16:48 - 10-Minute Misconduct, 10 min
2 - VIC B. Magee, 16:48 - Slashing, 2 min (PP)
2 - VIC B. Magee, 16:48 - 10-Minute Misconduct, 10 min
http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/62459

Olsen scored goal #31 as well.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:05 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Trouba with 1 G and 2 A tonight, leading Michigan to a 5-3 win over Ohio State. 9-14-23 in 28 games in the NCAA so far.

Too soon to suggest Trouba is our best prospect?
Trouba had a couple major boo boos too, but he is indeed a beast.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Rheged
JMFT

vCash: 50
Not wanting to be overshadowed by Kasdorf.

Quote:
USCHO.com ‏@USCHO
Recap: Hellebuyck records third shutout as Mass.-Lowell beats Boston University http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2013/02/...on-university/

Old
02-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Agreed. Trouba may be NHL ready (and able to contribute) after 1 year of university. I hope Chevy makes a sweet offer to him but I respect him if he wants to stay for years 2 and/or 3 towards his degree. But please not full four years, we need him sooner than that.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
This must have been quite the brawl that occurred during the second period of Kelowna's game...

http://www.whl.ca/schedule/show/game/62459

Olsen scored goal #31 as well.
Checked it out, when Franko scored there was a scrum after. One big fight and the other guys were tied up jabbing at each other. Olsen and Fransoo were pushing and shoving but a linesman was in there right away.

02-22-2013, 11:11 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Are those boo boos a reference to his inner Scott Stevens and propensity for head shots? I'd like to think those don't need to be corrected, not for the pro game. The tendency he has to get out of position in order to make those hits definitely needs to be corrected. Don't want the lad turning into Matt Dumba 2.0 (no knock to Dumba who is a treat to watch for Rebels but Trouba is having a superior season and Jets definitely selected the better d-man of the two).

Old
02-22-2013, 11:14 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Not wanting to be overshadowed by Kasdorf.
3 SO in what? 10 starts? Or was that 11?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
3 SO in what? 10 starts? Or was that 11?
The article has him at 8-1, so only 9 it would seem, UMass-Lowell has been crazy hot since December.

Hrmm, hockeydb has him listed as already playing 10, so maybe he's just 8-1 during the hot run.. Either way, crazy good stats haha.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:20 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Yea he failed to hold a bouncing puck in at the blue line on a late PP and a puck got by him that was converted to a goal. The off side D man on the PP should have fallen back to cover it though but he was a forward and I don't think he read the play very well.

In saying that Trouba was an absolute beast......he carried the puck into the zone on the first goal and set it up although he didn't get an assit. On his PP goal they had set him up for a one timer and he ripped it off the post and they recovered the puck and went right back to the same one timer play and he barrier it.....heavy heavy accurate shot.

A few very big hits as well and Jacob was awared the 1st star in the game.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Tintin's Ghost

And Yuen adds another assist (with game still in progress out on the coast). He's only 3 points shy of his WHL career high in 13 fewer games so far. Seems insignificant until you recall that last year Tri-City had Shinnimin and Hughesman notching 100+ points and now have only one forward above 50 points. Good to see Yuen keeping up his end of the bargain on the blue line!

Old
02-22-2013, 11:24 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Nope. Trouba is the real deal as far as I am concerned. I like Scheifele, but he is more Bumblebee to Trouba's Optimus Prime.
Scheif is probably closer to Bulkhead that Bumblebee.....but currently I have no issues with Trouba as Optimus

Old
02-22-2013, 11:41 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Are those boo boos a reference to his inner Scott Stevens and propensity for head shots? I'd like to think those don't need to be corrected, not for the pro game. The tendency he has to get out of position in order to make those hits definitely needs to be corrected. Don't want the lad turning into Matt Dumba 2.0 (no knock to Dumba who is a treat to watch for Rebels but Trouba is having a superior season and Jets definitely selected the better d-man of the two).
They weren't really hitting boo boos, they were straight up giving the opponent 2 goals boo boos. :s

Old
02-22-2013, 11:54 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yea he failed to hold a bouncing puck in at the blue line on a late PP and a puck got by him that was converted to a goal. The off side D man on the PP should have fallen back to cover it though but he was a forward and I don't think he read the play very well.

In saying that Trouba was an absolute beast......he carried the puck into the zone on the first goal and set it up although he didn't get an assit. On his PP goal they had set him up for a one timer and he ripped it off the post and they recovered the puck and went right back to the same one timer play and he barrier it.....heavy heavy accurate shot.

A few very big hits as well and Jacob was awared the 1st star in the game.
No doubt. He had a ton of high points too. He is a beast.

Kinda interesting that he went to Michigan as a defensive D man with questionable offensive upside and now some suggest he can be a bit of a Byfuglien. I wonder if the Jets are worried about how he is being used.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:04 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:

Kinda interesting that he went to Michigan as a defensive D man with questionable offensive upside and now some suggest he can be a bit of a Byfuglien. I wonder if the Jets are worried about how he is being used.
I doubt it. There was a reason that Jacob didn't go higher in the draft. Red Berenson is apparently a pretty poor coach when it comes to defensive awareness and positioning, as some GMs pointed out. Chevy is likely banking on Trouba's high hockey IQ to offset that, so is letting his skills develop naturally.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:49 AM
JetsHomer

Trouba is 1st in defensemen scoring, second in freshmen scoring and 14th in overall scoring in the CCHA

Old
02-23-2013, 04:11 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I doubt it. There was a reason that Jacob didn't go higher in the draft. Red Berenson is apparently a pretty poor coach when it comes to defensive awareness and positioning, as some GMs pointed out. Chevy is likely banking on Trouba's high hockey IQ to offset that, so is letting his skills develop naturally.
Truck my guess is that they are fine. In the WJC he played a slightly more reserved roll (still had room to rush the puck) and played really good defense in the tournament minus a play here or there. Too me Buff of last year was talented but wreckless at times......Trouba is talented but aggressive. nothing that a little time with Huddy and time in the NHL won't straiten out. I would think they might be pleased that he is being given the freedom to play within a sysytem that is allowing his offensive talents to grow but who knows I guess?

DespoticNewt my guess is that if the NHL scouts and GM's had a do over on draft day Jacob would go as high as 5th now (4th if it was TNSE picking)....like Hamilton the year before I think D men are a bit tough to peg but to me at least he was an absolute steel at #9 and I personally had him as the 2nd best D prospect going into the draft behind Murray.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:01 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Truck my guess is that they are fine. In the WJC he played a slightly more reserved roll (still had room to rush the puck) and played really good defense in the tournament minus a play here or there. Too me Buff of last year was talented but wreckless at times......Trouba is talented but aggressive. nothing that a little time with Huddy and time in the NHL won't straiten out. I would think they might be pleased that he is being given the freedom to play within a sysytem that is allowing his offensive talents to grow but who knows I guess?

DespoticNewt my guess is that if the NHL scouts and GM's had a do over on draft day Jacob would go as high as 5th now (4th if it was TNSE picking)....like Hamilton the year before I think D men are a bit tough to peg but to me at least he was an absolute steel at #9 and I personally had him as the 2nd best D prospect going into the draft behind Murray.
I thought that Trouba would be picked long before the Jets would get a crack at him. I had him third behind Murphy and Murray, with Reilly and Dumba rounding the list out. I was surprised as **** to see the Wild take Dumba, as I was sure that he would be the defenseman most likely to remain by the time the Jets got to pick. While I'm not going to open that can of worms with the BPA, I will say that I was very happy he fell to us.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:51 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
They weren't really hitting boo boos, they were straight up giving the opponent 2 goals boo boos. :s
I rewatched the goals this morning and the 2nd Ohio goal was totally on Trouba but I would say the 3rd goal was just bad puck luck for the most part? The shot from the point hit the goalie deflected up and hit the mask of the Ohio player and dropped onto his stick while he was parked in front of the net ....Trouba had decent coverage but short of taking a penalty I'm not sure what he could have done on a bang bang type play. The entire play was also generated off a poor Michigan line change from what I could see as well. I think it's a bit harsh to say Jacob strait up gave the opponent a goal boo boo on this one as much as they caught a bad bounce.

Last edited by ps241: 02-23-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old
02-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Is there any way to find footage of last night's game? I've read all about Trouba on the boards but I've never seen more than a highlight package of him. He sounds so dynamic.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:21 AM
passnthru

vCash: 138
Kasdorf had a bit of a bad nite.
http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...px?path=hockey
We'lll see what tonight holds as they meet Colgate.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:25 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Is there any way to find footage of last night's game? I've read all about Trouba on the boards but I've never seen more than a highlight package of him. He sounds so dynamic.
The game was on the Big Ten network on Shaw cable......not sure if they are replaying it today?

Closed Thread