HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers/Coyotes

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
This is what I want the team to look like next year:

Hall - Malkin - Yakupov
Lucic - RNH - Eberle
Hartnell - Toews - Marchand
Neil - Couturier - Eager

Schultz - Weber
Pietrangelo - Doughty
Smid - Petry

Price/Quick

Old
02-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Ek het lief Woef
Denver Broncos

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
This isn't the GDT, but can hold us over til tomorrow.

Listening to Stauffer, he's really pushing for a trade and for changes to be made.

This is what I want the team to look like next year.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
Clowe-Couturier-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Boyle-Horton
Haritkainen-Belanger-Eager
Kassian-VandeVelde

As for tomorrow, if Hall gets a 1 or 2 game suspension, can't see it being more than that, I'd go with these lines also assuming Jones is back.

Eager-Hopkins-Eberle
Jones-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Belanger-Yakupov
Hartikainen-VV-Paajarvi

I've heard the CHED guys use the term "must-win 4 or 5 times already this season, and If I recall correctly, the only one of those games we won was the CBJ game which we didn't deserve. Rob Brown called tomorrow's game a must-win, I'm not sure it really matters at this point.
That line-up looks absolutely disgusting. In a bad way. Because it has no chance of ever happening. And Clowe on a 2nd line should never happen. So overrated.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:35 PM
BadMedicine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Krueger is now using the Magic 8-Ball system...

Does this team terminally suck and have no hope of a playoff spot this season? ● It is certain

Will we continue to consistently be sub 50% on faceoffs, be outshot regularly, continue to give away the puck in dramatic fashion every game and fail to cash in on the few opportunities we do get?● It is decidedly so

Will we lose vs Phoenix? ● Without a doubt

Will we lose our next game after that? ● Yes – definitely

Will our players continue to constantly **** up and cause turnovers that lead to crushing 3rd period letdowns... constantly snatching defeat from the jaws of victory? ● You may rely on it

Will we pass the puck constantly in geometric patterns blissfully unaware that the opposing goalie is sipping a piña colada on the bench? ● As I see it, yes

Will we lose every ****ing game on this upcoming 9 game trip? ● Most likely

Will this team continue to refuse to take a point shot on the PP because that might lead to possible scoring chances... so as not to endanger the 1 goal per game quota? ● Outlook good

Are we the worst team in the NHL, slowly yet methodically drifting downwards towards our rightful place at the bottom of the heap like a heavy, peanut and corn encrusted turd? ● Yes

Will we be this same level of suck again next year? ● Signs point to yes

Is Tambo ever planning on doing anything to help this team out of this funk by making any type of useful & meaningful personnel changes or at a minimum waking up before the lotto show? ● Don't count on it

Do my assistant coaches have any ****ing clue what they are doing and will they ever contribute anything positive towards improving anything this team does? ● My reply is no

Will Tambo, Lowe, Mac-T, Katz and the other 118 members of this mis-management team ever see the light and try and make this team better? ● My sources say no

Will I ever get another NHL job after this ****-show in Edmonton? ● Outlook not so good

Is there any ****ing hope at all for any Oiler fan to ever see a winning NHL team here again? ● Very doubtful

Lovely micro-rant. Some accurate observations.You missed the most important majic word however, System. The place that everything catalyses from. Ours sucks, its called an adjusted hybrid and it is inferior and difficult to work with. Its never getting better than the win/loss results you will see from a trapping team. It is really an offensive trapping system designed to highlight one or two offensive gems when you are a Welfare team talentwise. I ranted for several years about it on the Oilers board until I ranted my way to a banorama, ha ha ha. I got so sick of watching an inferior system preserved by the Olde Boys Club like KingTuts left nut that I developed a better one and then kinda forced it upon them so to speak, they thought it was BadMedicine.

Three Word Solution.

NewAge Hockey System.

100% pure offensive, possesion/transition, momentum defining team that uses a two stage cycle and Active Gapping to dominate puck possesion times,and game pace, the NHS produces 40+ shots and 4+ goals per game consistantly and has an airtight low maintenance "defensive" side to it.

Because I developed the NHS to solve an Oilers specific problem utilising past and existing systems it contains all of the core values the adjusted hybrid we use now holds, and due to the NHSs evolutionary connections it is very easy to teach to players used to the hybrid systems. It is an offensive system that forces you to play its style, it picks you up off the ice after a huge punch and holds you in the air to keep you fair game and rattles you some more.

What you saw in the 56 shot game was the adjusted hybrids transition game worked to perfection, with active and accurate adjustments to the defensive breakouts, it was excellence of execution, but not realisticly something we will see consistantly , ever, because if you try to open up the offense like that your defense will collapse . Teams know how to shut down the transitions into the o-zone. Because the adjusted hybrid trys to blend set defensive schematics with creative transitional o-zone entrys there is to great a volume of data for the coaches to transfer constantly and adjust constantly and to much data for the players to integrate at gamespeed without much more instinctive NHL playreading ability and experience rosterwide. The Oilers system is high maintenance and provides inconsistant returns results wise, and always has been this way. An offensive trap is the best way to describe it. We need an Offensively Catalysed system to properly manage and utilise the talent and skill this roster posesses, this takes a special system, a NewAge Hockey System. And, ha ha ha, for two years the price has just kept going up, it started out as a freebie. Now the price is whatever DarkHorse is getting plus a game by game premium based off a 3 year contract. You want a superior system and superior Intuative Dynamic Analysis then its a supply and demand dynamic , and it seems as if there is only one supply and untold potential demand.

The Yotes also use an adjusted hybrid and are very easy to match up with systemwise for us right now, they have added two consistant approaches to their offense that are pure Wayne Gretzky, and once you stop those two tactics they are easy pickings. They will be easy to force into a run and gun style game which is obviously what we want every night with our skill level, we are hindered in the fact that teams can choose to remain in defensive mode with the adjusted hybrid as LA did and then its always a 1-1 type trap result, if we can lure or force them tacticly to choose the offensive activation of the adjusted hybrid then we have an immediate edge, the only one we can get with this system, it really does stifle our talent and skillsets the diametric opposite of what the managment intention is, this is a historic symptom in Edmonton. On the morning GDT pre-game I will post the data and adjustments needed to stop their two offensive keys and I will then post the two things we need to do to force them to choose run and gun. At least we will have a fighting chance if we properly manage this wreck of a system we use now. If we even try the crap we have iced lately in terms of defensive zone exit managment Shane Doan will deflect a hattrick past our tender. Their system is closer to the NHS than ours is, their adjusted hybrid initiates its offense a lot like ours does when it is zoned in but it uses a different sequence of transitions and set plays. They reverse it and use set plays in the o-zone, and spread the creativity out everywhere else. An interesting way to try to make a crappy system better but still easy to stop and control.

Last edited by BadMedicine*: 02-22-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 10:52 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
I'm thinking that splitting RNH and Eberle is the best thing to do.

Hemsky-Gagner-Eberle
Eager-Nuge-Yakupov
HArti-Belanger-Jones
Smyth-VV-Petrell

Spreads out the skill, and adds grit to the rest of the lineup.
I'd be all over that. Hemmer might implode on the left wing though. Either way, it's worth a shot for this lousy team.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Hemsky4PM

Are the prospects in OKC so bad that they can't flip a couple of players?

Hartikainen (NO GOALS) and VV down, Martindale and Cornet (or Rajala) up.

Jonathan Cheechoo is probably getting some strong attention from the Oilers management right now. He can play on the 3rd line an pp at the NHL level. There is no way he could be slower than Smyth and he still has a good release.

Why Kruger didn't try Hall-Gagner-Eberle just once is pretty frustrating. That was the combo when RNH went down last year and Gagner and Eberle went on a tear.

First overall would mean Seth Jones. Heaven help you if you can't win with that combination of talent.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
does anyone know a bookie that one can make single game bets with? can't imagine there is a more sure thing than the Yotes to beat the Oil by a 3-1 score.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:17 PM
BadMedicine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Are the prospects in OKC so bad that they can't flip a couple of players?

Hartikainen (NO GOALS) and VV down, Martindale and Cornet (or Rajala) up.

Jonathan Cheechoo is probably getting some strong attention from the Oilers management right now. He can play on the 3rd line an pp at the NHL level. There is no way he could be slower than Smyth and he still has a good release.

Why Kruger didn't try Hall-Gagner-Eberle just once is pretty frustrating. That was the combo when RNH went down last year and Gagner and Eberle went on a tear.

First overall would mean Seth Jones. Heaven help you if you can't win with that combination of talent.
After watching the NHL system adjustments of the kids and remember they were ripping it up at record pace in OKC, I dont think this is an offensive inability playerwise it is quite clearly a system issue. This is why Sam Gagner is executing so well, because he grasps the systems defensive schematics better than most of the others and can create offense from outside the system without sacrificing system integrity, it is an experience issue , we made our system more complicated since Renney left, not much else has changed just more complications added. I think everyone needs to execute baseline system responsibilitys for Ralph and then let the system work for them, and this means double the usual amount of data input because of all of the defensive and transitional adjustments, the system is constantly spasming and has to be adjusted, for the same reasons a Stealth Fighter needs to be flown by a computer, its performance relys on that level of data managment to max out. I fear anyone we bring up will be immediatly caught in that same dynamic our kids were caught in when the season started and are still in, a funk. This isnt an easy system to plug and play with, the data load is to great and incoming players definately have an extended adjustment period to get to par.

I really an curious about our proven but unproven NHL caliber goal scorer we have down there because he might be able to reach the system baseline datawise fast enough to step in and help with offense immediatly. We need to either change the system or start to sit the kids and play the vets for the same dynamic reason Mac-T used to, the system forces you to because of its heavy data load, the system itself drains its own skillsets away unless they are veteran. You want to win with an adjusted hybrid this year then you give the reins to Smyth and the room as well, he has the system experience and can lead the vets and this team to more wins than we have seen so far from the 1st line, you want to keep this system then start Mac-cracking and bench your kids and play your vets into the ice until we make the playoffs then play the fresh kids in a Vegas style showdown.

Mac-T
Renney
Krueger

All these coaches used variants of the adjusted hybrid system, and all manifested similar dynamic actions and results, for the same reasons, Krueger will be forced to do exactly as his predessesors did and go with the vets who can handle the system dataload in realtime and sit his kids, or we will not win games with this system. The adjusted hybrid is not rookie friendly and never was. Our system has been the Organisations fatal flaw for decades now, and ironiclly it has been cherished like the crown jewels, its like tucking a bag of cancer under your pillow before you go to sleep at night. We have crapped on and changed everything except what really needed changing.

Last edited by BadMedicine*: 02-22-2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 11:37 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Harti has proved to be an effective bottom 6 guy who takes the body and forechecks hard. What else do you want?
Exactly. Harti really get a lot of unwarranted criticism around here, i don't get it.
I guess some people expected him to be a legit top 6 power forward, i don't know.
He has done pretty much as expected, he has never been a big scorer. He's one of the few forwards on this team who can cycle the puck effectively and fend off defenders while doing it. He and Paajarvi have looked really good together at least until Krueger breaks them up for some reason.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I like Harti. Even if he ain't scoring he's dragging D around like stuffed animals. Rag the puck like that at least a few times a game and it tires out the D a bit. If his team mates bothered to look for the cycle something could get going there.

But Gawd RNH and Eberle are going to be awful without Hall. Look out for Raffi Torres and keep your head up at all times.

If Phoenix even remotely plays us how they played Calgary this is over before it starts.

I like the looks of Smyth up with Gagner and Hemsky. Playing it oldschool and I think Gagner has managed to get something going with Smyth before. Why not?

tbh I'd rather have Smyth on that line right now than Eberle who is an adventure waiting to happen.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:12 AM
T-Funk

Old
02-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Exactly. Harti really get a lot of unwarranted criticism around here, i don't get it.
I guess some people expected him to be a legit top 6 power forward, i don't know.
He has done pretty much as expected, he has never been a big scorer. He's one of the few forwards on this team who can cycle the puck effectively and fend off defenders while doing it. He and Paajarvi have looked really good together at least until Krueger breaks them up for some reason.
He's one of the best bottom six guys we've had around here in a while. Him and Paajarvi are sick together, because both of them bring what the other guy doesn't. If only we could mix them together.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:25 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
He doesn't really cycle the puck better than anyone else on the roster.

He very rarely passes the puck or continues the cycle once he gets it below the goal line.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

He very rarely passes the puck or continues the cycle once he gets it below the goal line.
If only a second forward supported him.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:35 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
If only a second forward supported him.
I don't think that's really the problem. His linemates are usually there, but he seems to prefer to protect the puck and make a play on his own.

Solid possession player, but not what I would call an above average cycler.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

They'll plug Harski into the Top-6 and farm Paajarvi.

I'd break up Eberle and RNH.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:41 AM
Cam98

im starting to think ahl has given Eberle some bad habits. Hes been very bad defensively, and is usually sound defensively. You can just see a lot of bad habits that he didnt have last season.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Spawn

I want to see Eberle and RNH split up. They aren't working together right now. Krueger needs to get over his "duo" idea.

It bothers me that the only idea Krueger seems to have in regards to shaking up the top 6 is dropping Yakupov out of it.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
im starting to think ahl has given Eberle some bad habits. Hes been very bad defensively, and is usually sound defensively. You can just see a lot of bad habits that he didnt have last season.
Eberle has never been regarded as a sound player defensively. ftr he's had more EV GA than any other forward on this club during his tenure here.

Between EV play and PP Eberle was on ice for 60GA last season. Not good. Thats the side of his game few people want to take a look at.

When he was getting a lot of pts that aspect was disguised.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:49 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:

That's because he's going in alone most times, no puck support at all.
When he and Paajarvi were together, they had some great cycle shifts, some of the best cycle shifts of any Oilers line. If they had a finisher on their line, i'm sure that line would have scored a few goals.
Harti struggled in the top 6 because our top 6 is full of perimeter players. He's better when he has a line partner to cycle with.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:49 AM
Cam98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Eberle has never been regarded as a sound player defensively. ftr he's had more EV GA than any other forward on this club during his tenure here.
hes been good enough defensively to not make major glaring mistakes, last season he was sound, was in position a lot, this year he hasn't been.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:00 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
That's because he's going in alone most times, no puck support at all.
When he and Paajarvi were together, they had some great cycle shifts, some of the best cycle shifts of any Oilers line. If they had a finisher on their line, i'm sure that line would have scored a few goals.
Harti struggled in the top 6 because our top 6 is full of perimeter players. He's better when he has a line partner to cycle with.
I don't know. Even with Paajarvi I never really noticed much cycling from him.

It always seemed like Paajarvi would retrieve the dump-in, pass it to Harski and then Harski would bull off a defender until he made a play to take it out front or lost the puck.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
hes been good enough defensively to not make major glaring mistakes, last season he was sound, was in position a lot, this year he hasn't been.
The stats don't lie.

Eberle was given the best possible zone starts the team could give him. Basically throwing him out on offensive end faceoffs whenever they could and saving him from own zone faceoffs whenever they could. They got him easy matchups whenever they could and he still had 60GA scored. Without any of it being pk. These are poor numbers.

He's too awful in defensive play for the club to even consider pk as an option.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:04 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
I don't know. Even with Paajarvi I never really noticed much cycling from him.

It always seemed like Paajarvi would retrieve the dump-in, pass it to Harski and then Harski would bull off a defender until he made a play to take it out front or lost the puck.
I thought those 2 really fed well off each other. I do agree with one thing though, Harti holds on to the puck too long sometimes, he needs to be a little quicker with his decision making but overall, i like his work down low. He'll be a valuable bottom 6 player for us once he gets a little more NHL experience under his belt.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:07 AM
dnicks17

Quote:
I thought those 2 really fed well off each other. I do agree with one thing though, Harti holds on to the puck too long sometimes, he needs to be a little quicker with his decision making but overall, i like his work down low. He'll be a valuable bottom 6 player for us once he gets a little more NHL experience under his belt.
Yeah, it seems like teams might key in on that now too.

Minnesota pretty much nullified him with quick double teams.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:21 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Harti is a 6th rd pick who could be a poor man's Holmstrom. I'm not expecting anything incredible for a couple of years.

Or he might never get there.

Closed Thread