HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXII: Send in the Clowns

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Glacial

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
After witnessing the lengthy chronological twists and turns I fully expect at the end of this saga to be paid in full with such a sensationalist finale that includes a smorgasborg of lawsuits, finger pointing, and leaked behind the scenes scandals, flag burnings, and hookers, gotta have hookers in there somewhere, and a teary eyed Bettman. Plus a spontaneous celebratory parade in Quebec
You forgot the flapjacks.
(Smorgasborg? "Your appetite will be assimilated. Your distinctive flavor will be added to our own")

Who do the hookers belong to, or are we talking about an appearance made by T.J. Hooker, perhaps Shatner being contracted to pitch for the Ice Edge Clowns in person in character?

I do agree. I will be sorely disappointed if this saga goes out with a whimper instead of a bang. And with as many twists and turns and wild characters as this saga has had, it should have a spectacular ending a whole magnitude beyond everything to date. Maybe even some indictments will go out. If Beasley can be indicted, and if there was any underhanded activity from the NHL with him, Bettman & Daly can be dragged into court and the NHL's dirty laundry would be aired. Doesn't this saga end with every party to it having their reputations utterly destroyed?

Old
02-22-2013, 07:29 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
If Beasley can be indicted, and if there was any underhanded activity from the NHL with him, Bettman & Daly can be dragged into court and the NHL's dirty laundry would be aired. Doesn't this saga end with every party to it having their reputations utterly destroyed?
There's a decent chance of that. Even if it's not the most probable, you have to figure it into a risk analysis of the situation. It puts the onus on the league to settle this in a manner where the city doesn't want to sue. Which begs the question; isn't avoiding litigation and successfully maintaining your right to franchise how you please worth $60-70 million? Why risk... all of this?

I guess they figure they have nothing to lose by stringing this along. Attendance and ratings have increased.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:51 PM
GuelphStormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
At what point do we stop wondering, wishing and guessing about these fraudsters and their purported bids to buy this team? Like everyone before them, they have little money,the price is still too high to justify anything and we all know the the NHL is not lowering it. THis charade in its umpteenth act is over, it was over the day GJ showed up vowing to buy the team without money or investors! This iteration is likely the brainchild of the sawed off commish attempting to keep fans deluded!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdown View Post
Just FYI, Viper, the Colisée Pepsi has been upgraded last summer to be ready in case a NHL team would need it, for a few millions dollars. All infrastructure is there to support a NHL team, (PUB, Ticket selling, etc.). A hard fan base, a good economical situation, a good political support, etc. And finaly, a contract already signed with an owner ready to buy a team in case it would occure. ;-) Not ready, you said? Who told you that?
a tale of two cities.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:40 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I don't think Jones was involved much at any time around. He is the mascot for the pesky, self-aggrandizing, under-financed "tire kickers" that have plagued the Coyotes sale process. The fact that he still includes the moniker "Almost owner of the Phoenix Coyotes" on his Twitter account shows his narcissism and flippancy about the situation. He is to the Coyotes saga what "the Balkan" was to the Thrashers', but with a full body shot. And to think that the COG gave these guys exclusive negotiation rights...
You forgot they put a big deposit down to get those rights, Whileee. Certainly not an amount to buy a franchise but they didn't go in empty handed.

Think you're putting way too much into what IEH did (or didn't do).... but that's just because we have a difference in our opinions.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:49 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
Or course it is, this is what lots of people on this board are saying and this is what I am saying, living in the place. We already got an arena a lil bigger then the MTS center in Win.

PHX people told us we did not know what was happening in their city, I certainly know what's happening in my own place.

Cheers.
You still don't......

But if it comes to the team relocating.... QC is currently in the best position to take on an NHL franchise.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:04 PM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
There's a decent chance of that. Even if it's not the most probable, you have to figure it into a risk analysis of the situation. It puts the onus on the league to settle this in a manner where the city doesn't want to sue. Which begs the question; isn't avoiding litigation and successfully maintaining your right to franchise how you please worth $60-70 million? Why risk... all of this?

I guess they figure they have nothing to lose by stringing this along. Attendance and ratings have increased.
Didn't the city waive its rights to sue the league for basically anything when they sided with the league in the bankruptcy?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:11 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
Didn't the city waive its rights to sue the league for basically anything when they sided with the league in the bankruptcy?
In bankruptcy court, they waived their rights over past issues. What has happened since then that might be grounds for a lawsuit? I see a couple of possibilities...
  1. I know the old saw about "verbal promises aren't worth the paper they're written on", but the statements about the $25 million per year being merely a bridge to allow time for Hulsizer to finish the purchase might be worth a filing. Nuisance suit, yes, but might convince the NHL to settle out of court to avoid dirty laundry in public.
  2. The absolutely abysmal non-hockey bookings numbers once the NHL took over. KDB209 had some Pollstar numbers for that.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:01 AM
AllByDesign
Thomas who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Welcome to the BOH. Now is pretty much your time to decide whether you'll provide drive-by opinion or actual content. You still have a shot!
Of course if its a "pro-Quebec" statement it isn't considered a "drive-by" opinion.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:11 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Everyone here is forgetting Toronto. A second team could play in the ACC. (Witness the Staples Center) An Ontario franchise would be worth millions to the NHL above and beyond the costs incurred in owning and operating the Coyotes. Potential owners would be lined up out the door. And by accomodating a second team in the ACC, the Leafs would effectively kill the chances of a second NHL size arena being built in the Tornoto metropolitan area.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:15 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Everyone here is forgetting Toronto. A second team could play in the ACC. (Witness the Staples Center) An Ontario franchise would be worth millions to the NHL above and beyond the costs incurred in owning and operating the Coyotes. Potential owners would be lined up out the door. And by accomodating a second team in the ACC, the Leafs would effectively kill the chances of a second NHL size arena being built in the Tornoto metropolitan area.
Why would MLSE agree to incubate the competition?

Old
02-23-2013, 01:51 AM
BnGBear1970
YUP!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Why would MLSE agree to incubate the competition?
They won't. That's why every scenario involving southern Ontario involves expansion, with either Hamilton or Markham as the target. Absolutely no one is including Toronto, the GTA, or any part of southern Ontario as a serious relocation target for a reason.

As far as this nonsense about how a second hockey team in the ACC would equate to what the Kings, Lakers, and Clippers deal with at Staples, there is one major league difference: the third wheel team in LA is a basketball team. They have their own floor, which takes the same amount of upkeep and damage as the Lakers' floor. In the case of a second NHL team in Toronto, you're looking at two teams sharing the same ice sheet that undergoes changes no more than twice a year. The ice would be below OHL standards by Christmas, and borderline unplayable at some point in the year. Yeah, logistically, three teams can share a venue, but not two NHL teams. Not anymore.

Oh, and about MLSE wanting to kill a second NHL-quality arena in the GTA, this part probably needs to be emphasized: they don't care. Everyone in the league knows that the fourth-largest city in North America is comically underserviced by the NHL (NYC has THREE NHL teams, LA has 1.5, and Chicago has only the one, but it's in the fifth year of a renaissance), and it's only a matter of time before one of the 'burbs gets an arena built with the goal of landing an expansion franchise. MLSE will simply put up a fight until they think they've maximized their indemnity award from the new team, then step aside. After all, it will be a long time before Toronto2 affects the Leafs' bottom line, what with the sellouts despite being the only franchise to miss the playoffs since the 2004-05 lockout AND the highest average ticket price in the league by a considerable margin.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:43 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Mexico City has a brand new facility that could host a franchise

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_City_Arena

Old
02-23-2013, 06:48 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
You still don't......

But if it comes to the team relocating.... QC is currently in the best position to take on an NHL franchise.
Find a place where I am talking about what happening in the Jobboom center please?

Hint: don't waste your time ;-)

Cheers.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:50 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
I solve problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
In bankruptcy court, they waived their rights over past issues. What has happened since then that might be grounds for a lawsuit? I see a couple of possibilities...
  1. I know the old saw about "verbal promises aren't worth the paper they're written on", but the statements about the $25 million per year being merely a bridge to allow time for Hulsizer to finish the purchase might be worth a filing. Nuisance suit, yes, but might convince the NHL to settle out of court to avoid dirty laundry in public.
  2. The absolutely abysmal non-hockey bookings numbers once the NHL took over. KDB209 had some Pollstar numbers for that.
2 - Looking to see if there were any performance clauses. If not, might well be moot. If there were, seems minimum requirements threshold was reached.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Evil Doctor
Damn you Taylor Reed

Quote:
Everyone here is forgetting Toronto. A second team could play in the ACC. (Witness the Staples Center) .
I thought Anaheim played in their own arena...

Old
02-23-2013, 09:22 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 178
Quote:
You forgot the flapjacks.
(Smorgasborg? "Your appetite will be assimilated. Your distinctive flavor will be added to our own")
Dammit, you just made me spit coffee on my iPad

Old
02-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Llama19

vCash: 729
Quote:
The NHL is doing an excellent job, these past years, at promoting events at the arena...NOT!

2008: #59 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 200,377
2009: #58 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 208,877
2010: #80 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 150,661
2011: #177 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 52,628

Source: pollstar.com/
2011 report: njsea.com/uploadedFiles/IZOD2011Pollstar.pdf

Old
02-23-2013, 10:46 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

Well... I'm proud of myself. I broke my addiction to this thread - been gone for months. I miss (some of ()) the posters here but I really no longer care...

Having said all that... Is there anything new?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:52 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

I am missing ... THE LIST

Old
02-23-2013, 10:56 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Having said all that... Is there anything new?
Hulzy and the Clowns are supposedly kicking tires again... That's. About. It.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:56 AM
JimAnchower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
The NHL is doing an excellent job, these past years, at promoting events at the arena...NOT!

2008: #59 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 200,377
2009: #58 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 208,877
2010: #80 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 150,661
2011: #177 Jobing.com Arena Glendale, AZ 52,628

Source: pollstar.com/
2011 report: njsea.com/uploadedFiles/IZOD2011Pollstar.pdf
2012 wasn't much better. Jobing.com Arena ranked in 166th place.

http://aegworldwide.com/about/newsdetail/2292

Old
02-23-2013, 10:59 AM
aqib

Quote:
The NHL couldn't possibly have more dirty laundry out there than it does now. Short of something along the lines of Penn State the image of the league can't get worse. I remember Bob Guiney saying about Minnesotans "they love hockey they hate the NHL"

The lack of bookings while egregious isn't something the city can sue for if they didn't have it in the contract, like they did in the proposed Jamison deal.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 0
Quote:

Who do the hookers belong to, or are we talking about an appearance made by T.J. Hooker, perhaps Shatner being contracted to pitch for the Ice Edge Clowns in person in character?...
That's the beauty of the situation, there has to be more going on that meets the eye here. What possible explanation can there be for a professional freaking hockey ice skating rink in the middle of the Arizona desert? A mirage? Big business? McCain likes hockey?
My guess is someone big has this sweet little filibuster, probably named Bunny, who likes hockey, and everything is being done barring any expense to keep the game there for her amusement.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Llama19

vCash: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
That's the beauty of the situation, there has to be more going on that meets the eye here. What possible explanation can there be for a professional freaking hockey ice skating rink in the middle of the Arizona desert? A mirage? Big business? McCain likes hockey?
My guess is someone big has this sweet little filibuster, probably named Bunny, who likes hockey, and everything is being done barring any expense to keep the game there for her amusement.
Could your 'Bunny' possibly be him...

Old
02-23-2013, 04:13 PM
barneyg
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
Of course if its a "pro-Quebec" statement it isn't considered a "drive-by" opinion.
You got me all wrong, ABD.. there are plenty of pro-QC posts that are completely devoid of content as well. as a Quebec City resident on a budget, I really don't care whether the Nordiques come back or not. but I stick around here for substance and posts like the OP's are just completely useless, even if the bar is pretty low already

Closed Thread