HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 10:08 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I heard rumors DB has a secret project to make Adams the six million dollar man...

I'm stoked.

"The $3M Adams. Half the Cost, Twice the Grind."

Old
02-22-2013, 10:09 PM
KHstrike

I've heard mentions of Dany Heatley. Don't know how much his cap hit is though. Personally, I'd like to see Bennett get a legit shot on Malkin's wing. If you're going to send assets to get someone, make it a Dman. If the Flyers game showed anything, its that the Pens D is still too soft to stop a hard, net-driving, aggressive, playoff style.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

1 more Power F + 1 Angry D is about all we need, given a healthy Malkin. Dangles is going to fit right in here. Just a question of sooner or later.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
1 more Power F + 1 Angry D is about all we need, given a healthy Malkin. Dangles is going to fit right in here. Just a question of sooner or later.
And IF you get that angry D, who do you think comes out of the lineup?
The only stretch of games where our has looked both strong and physical was when Nisky was out and we played:

Brooks Martin
Despres Letang
Engo Bortuzzo

Now that Nisky is back we are mostly scratching Bortuzzo and giving Despres 10-12 minutes a night. If the 'angry D' guy simply replaces Despres or Bortuzzo (or Engelland) in the lineup.... do we get much angrier on aggregate? Except for Bylsma giving that guy more minutes than he would Despres/Bortuzzo?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:23 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
And IF you get that angry D, who do you think comes out of the lineup?
The only stretch of games where our has looked both strong and physical was when Nisky was out and we played:

Brooks Martin
Despres Letang
Engo Bortuzzo

Now that Nisky is back we are mostly scratching Bortuzzo and giving Despres 10-12 minutes a night. If the 'angry D' guy simply replaces Despres or Bortuzzo (or Engelland) in the lineup.... do we get much angrier on aggregate? Except for Bylsma giving that guy more minutes than he would Despres/Bortuzzo?
O'k, strike the angry D. Give me a power F for L2 LW, a L1 RW with the skill to make a creative play once in a while, a one way ticket for Kennedy, and a coach who doesn't need injuries to give him a clue about what his defensive pairings should be. Better?

Old
02-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

No need to trade for O'Reilly. Sutter is just as good - he finally gets to play with top 6 wingers (better numbers than O'Reilly playing with 3rd liners and just as good defensively). If Jeffrey can hold his own on the 3rd line we might not miss Geno too much, assuming he's not out too long.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:38 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
O'k, strike the angry D. Give me a power F for L2 LW, a L1 RW with the skill to make a creative play once in a while, a one way ticket for Kennedy, and a coach who doesn't need injuries to give him a clue about what his defensive pairings should be. Better?
I think everyone would like that, but I wasn't being facetious really.
Just underlining the point that Bylsma plays who he think are the best/most dependable players irrespective of what could otherwise be considered needs, and unless that tough guy is Reghier level good and can play with Letang, I don't think our top6 really improves toughness wise (size is a factors here) if it means that we remove our biggest bodies from the lineup.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHstrike View Post
I've heard mentions of Dany Heatley. Don't know how much his cap hit is though. Personally, I'd like to see Bennett get a legit shot on Malkin's wing. If you're going to send assets to get someone, make it a Dman. If the Flyers game showed anything, its that the Pens D is still too soft to stop a hard, net-driving, aggressive, playoff style.
No. Just no.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:51 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

i would bet a lot of money that short of injury, the "1st" line isn't getting touched. I don't think Shero is even considering trading for 2 wingers.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
i would bet a lot of money that short of injury, the "1st" line isn't getting touched. I don't think Shero is even considering trading for 2 wingers.
Depends on the acquisition. The 1st line would certainly get changed if Iginla were acquired. I think a more ordinary rental winger would be placed with Malkin and Neal though.

Old
02-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don'tcry4mejanhrdina View Post
No. Just no.
Yeah, I don't want Heatley either. Maybe if he were a rental but he has another year at 7.5m and it's been a while since I've been impressed with him. He's played a very lazy, uninspired brand of hockey in the games I've seen this season.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:01 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Depends on the acquisition. The 1st line would certainly get changed if Iginla were acquired. I think a more ordinary rental winger would be placed with Malkin and Neal though.
I just don't think he's even going that route, now. Every time I hear someone talk from the organization or for the organization, they just talk about how those 3 are the best and such chemistry, and blah blah blah. And some of the trib guys talked about how Shero wasn't looking for top-6 help, he was looking for back end stuff. I really think they think the 1st line is fine.

Would love to be wrong.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:02 PM
invictus

Crosby with Neal and Beau if Geno is out a while?

Old
02-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I just don't think he's even going that route, now. Every time I hear someone talk from the organization or for the organization, they just talk about how those 3 are the best and such chemistry, and blah blah blah. And some of the trib guys talked about how Shero wasn't looking for top-6 help, he was looking for back end stuff. I really think they think the 1st line is fine.

Would love to be wrong.
The Trib is wrong a lot though imo but time will tell...

I don't see where this team needs more D-Men. I could see wanting to add a veteran at the deadline but I don't see the need to be shopping for any immediate upgrade back there. They really aren't lacking talent in that area. I think you can question the mix and whether Niskanen is a good fit with Letang or if Despres is ready to play with Letang if Niskanen isn't the right fit there.

Personally, I'd like to rent a left-handed stay at home D like Regehr to pair with Letang and flip one of Niskanen or Despres (preferably Niskanen) + something else for a good winger. Whichever of Niskanen or Despres stays will obviously be the #5 D.

Pens also seem to be scouting the hell out of the Wild. That has to be for forward help since the Wild are fairly weak on D outside of a couple untouchables like Brodin and Suter.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:

Would love to be wrong.
I don't know how you're evaluating this first line right now, but they pass the eye test as well as any statistical test. They've been the 2nd best ES line in the league all year (behind Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville). IMO it would take adding a huge upgrade over Dupuis to make that line better, and that's even just "on paper." I'll take results every time.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:11 AM
sexyllama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Well, we'll see what the team looks like next year. Adams isn't going to play forever.

....is he?
The way you guys joke, I'm expecting Farnham to play for the Pens in a Craig Adams suit/makeup like Mrs. Doubtfire.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:16 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I can live with Adams for this year but I really hope Shero understands that it's time to move on when this season is done and Adams becomes UFA. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't. I don't blame Bylsma for playing his vets. Most coaches are going to. It's really up to Shero to take the option of playing him away by not re-signing guys like Adams. They need to get either a little younger, meaner, bigger, more physical or some combination of that in the bottom 6 going forward.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Zach Sill?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:56 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I can live with Adams for this year but I really hope Shero understands that it's time to move on when this season is done and Adams becomes UFA. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't.
He didn't seem to have an issue walking away from Rupp, and others in the bottom 6.

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
02-23-2013, 01:19 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
He didn't seem to have an issue walking away from Rupp, and others in the bottom 6.
I never said he doesn't have it in him to move on from Adams when he feels the time is right. He moved on from Asham last off-season. He even moved on from Guerin when people wondered if he had it in him to do that. I just hope he understands the time to move on from Adams is after this season. Adams is going to be 36. Tanner Glass is a very similar player that can replace him. I think Glass and Adams actually make one another very redundant. Both are black holes offensively that can pk fairly well.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:15 AM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus View Post
Crosby with Neal and Beau if Geno is out a while?
And then Sutter with Dups and Kunitz for line 2?

Nah that makes too much sense.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:45 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

Neal-Dreambeaut-Cooke

Cooke digs for pucks, Beau finds Neal, Neal scores.

Just Do It

Old
02-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Jag68Sid87

Shero has let guys walk when they wanted too much money. But he's kept guys around as long as they were cheap.

Well, I think this summer he needs to let guys walk regardless of the money. We need fresh, new blood. Guys like Adams need to go, but so do the Matt Cooke's and Tyler Kennedy's.

As far as the first line goes, just because they are playing at a very high level right now, doesn't mean we couldn't use an upgrade there for the playoffs. Do we want Crosby to dominate in the playoffs, or merely do well in a losing effort yet again?

Besides, wasn't Colby Armstrong doing well in '08 when we acquired Hossa? Sometimes, you need to take full advantage of players doing very well.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:33 AM
cheesedanish87

Quote:

Would love to be wrong.
Ya I agree with this the only people who seems to want sid to get another winger are the fans. It just seems like Sid's comfortable and happy playing with them. Even though id like to see sid and neal play together if geno is out its hard to argue with the success sid's line has had.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:34 AM
Jacob

Who are we replacing Cooke, Kennedy & Adams with? If you promote from within you're not going to get half of the production of those guys. If you replace them in free agency you're gonna have to overpay for someone. If you make a trade, you're giving up assets.

Cooke is fine. Kennedy will probably figure things out. Despite his age Adams has been surprisingly serviceable this year. And what's more, I don't see any UFAs or prospects in the system that would do any better than them.

Closed Thread