HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Science
Science A place to discuss natural, formal and applied science topics such as chemistry, physics, biology, logic, engineering, etc.

White House to commit $100 million to open access

Old
02-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Teemu

vCash: 500
White House to commit $100 million to open access

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...ic-157658.html

Quote:
The White House on Friday ordered federal agencies to come up with plans to maximize free, public access to the results of federally funded scientific research.

In response to a petition on the White House web site, the director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy said he issued the order Friday.

"[T]he Obama Administration is committed to ensuring that the results of federally-funded scientific research are made available to and useful for the public, industry, and the scientific community," wrote John Holdren, who is also assistant to the president for science and technology. "Moreover, this research was funded by taxpayer dollars. Americans should have easy access to the results of research they help support."

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 07:31 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
This is actually really awesome and something I've been mulling over in my head for a while (making academic research more accessible).

02-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Sounds a little... hand-wavy.

I mean, wouldn't pretty much all significant results get written up in a paper anyway?

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
Sounds a little... hand-wavy.

I mean, wouldn't pretty much all significant results get written up in a paper anyway?
A scientific paper that requires a paid subscription yes.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
A scientific paper that requires a paid subscription yes.
right. derp

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 09:54 PM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
Hahaha, excellent. It's a jab to the Harper government as well, as there have been more recent complaints of suppressing climate science in Canada. Now there will be pressure to do something similar by the environmentalists on this side of the border. The CPC does not like this at all, but they know they can't show any sort of distaste, so they'll try to stonewall.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:07 AM
PSUCapsFan

I was under the impression that if your research is being funded by federal grants you must report all results to the funding agency. It's the job of the agencies (DEA, NSF,NIH) to put the results out.

PSUCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:43 AM
IWD
Playoff-hardened

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
I was under the impression that if your research is being funded by federal grants you must report all results to the funding agency. It's the job of the agencies (DEA, NSF,NIH) to put the results out.
There was an article about this on CBC last week. Or maybe the Globe & Mail. I can't remember which. I'm not sure what the difference is between countries, but an American climate scientist was complaining that the Canadian government was muzzling him - an issue that has been brought up by several international organizations in the last year or two. He compared excerpts from the grant contracts offered by the previous Liberal government and the current Conservative government. The old contracts stated that any findings were the property of all parties, and could be disseminated at will. The new contracts state that property remains the same, but both parties have to get the permission of the other party in order to disseminate. As the Harper government has no intention of releasing said information in most cases, it becomes a a de facto muzzling.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCapsFan View Post
I can confirm that all research does require a close-out and final report to the funding agency on the results including any discoveries made (possible intellectual property).

DD-882

As for publishing the results, that's another issue.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote