HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Plus-minus | Penguins 3, Panthers 1

Old
02-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
While agreeing in isolation, I think that is like saying they would be better if they were playing better.
I suppose that is the way to look at things if you argue that none of the reasons I gave matter at all though .
I would say your reasons have some merit, but it leaves it open to giving both Neal and Malkin excuses IMHO. They have to be accountable for their own play.

Malkin needs to start trusting his line mates and moving the puck faster. As soon as he plays with Crosby, Malkin moves the puck off his stick quickly. He makes his decisions and doesn't **** around.

Crosby makes fast decisions no matter who is on his line and Malkin is capable of the same thing. Malkin is more dangerous without the puck, but he hesitates to give it up when he doesn't trust guys. That more than anything is bringing down that line. The puck should flow through Malkin, not stop with him.

Neal is killing the cycle of that line because he simply isn't moving his feet. Last season he was powering through pins, knee locks, etc and wasn't stopping his feet. He isn't leveraging himself off the boards or creating any space for himself. It looks like his legs are broken and he has no desire to fight through guys on the boards.

So I'm fairly certain that if Malkin was allowing the puck to flow through him and Neal started to move his feet like last season, that line would be much more effective, despite the winger riding shotgun and the blueliners behind them.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:44 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

I thought Bennett had a great game. You might even call it dynamic.

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I would say your reasons have some merit, but it leaves it open to giving both Neal and Malkin excuses IMHO. They have to be accountable for their own play.
As long as we agree that it is some of this and some of the other .
I don't care if I am skating with Malkin and Neal, they have to do something ES. No excuses, but there is a lot of ground to cover between nothing and best line in hockey, which they were last season.

I just find it difficult to see how the bench could help less than it is when it comes to that particular line.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:48 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

+ DJ. See? Give that guy a chance and see what happens.

+ Bennett played pretty well. Lol at Steigerwald's "Sutter's probably the smartest guy in the league, Bennett will learn a lot from him." Let's not get carried away

+ Flower was good, I thought.

- Team doctors. This is actually a tentative minus for next game, when they clear him despite obviously being injured and he gets hurt worse.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
As long as we agree that it is some of this and some of the other .
I don't care if I am skating with Malkin and Neal, they have to do something ES. No excuses, but there is a lot of ground to cover between nothing and best line in hockey, which they were last season.

I just find it difficult to see how the bench could help less than it is when it comes to that particular line.
Well when you take away the guy who played best with them this season (Jeffrey)... ya... but we already agree DB's lineup decisions are somewhat questionable.

At least he did what he said he would in regards to BB.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:56 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

As far as no Penguins going after Gudbranson...I'm normally the first guy to want that no matter what the incident is, legal/illegal not the point, you hurt my guy, you pay...and no matter who the teams involved are...but not this time. Gudbranson didn't really do anything. That was a routine play where Malkin lost an edge at the worst possible time. It wasn't a juicy hit at all, despite the speed Malkin hit the boards. Play happens 30 times a game and nothing happens.

If guys are going to go after other guys over something like that, everybody on both teams will be going after every D on the other team every 35 seconds.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:56 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Lol at Steigerwald's "Sutter's probably the smartest guy in the league, Bennett will learn a lot from him." Let's not get carried away
Good lord. I'm sure Steigerwald is a good person in real life, but i really cannot stand him. I can't stand his voice, the way he talks, and what he says half the time. I watch games with the sound on the TV off and Mike Lange turned up. ROOT sports sucks. Dan Potash makes me cringe.

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:06 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

"Peter Mueller missed all of last season, well now he's going to miss the next...uh however long it takes the Pens to score."

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:10 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Pretty sure Steigy only called Sutter one of the smartest players in the league and I don't think he's wrong on that if he means defensively. That kid's hockey IQ defensively is off the charts.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Epic Neal Time

+ Bennett. Only a matter of time.
+ Martin. Solid again.
+ Glass. Played a good game tonight.
+ MAF
+ Despres. Looked solid and steady, as usual.
+ Letang. 58 was flying.
+ DJ. Good for him getting a goal. Hopefully he can stick in the lineup. Shows more promise than TK, IMO.

- TK. Poor, poor showing.
- Sid. Forcing passes and passing up shooting opportunities.
- Geno injury. Hurts.

Epic Neal Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Please scratch Kennedy for DJ for a few games. TK needs some time to sit and think about things for awhile.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1500
Geno gets hurt, boring game all around, Sid not playing well. Sounds like a good game for me to miss.

I guess this is one of those "thanks for the 2 points, now let's ****ing play better next game" sort of games. Hopefully Geno doesn't miss any time. I ****ing hate concussions (possible concussion).

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:14 AM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Geno gets hurt, boring game all around, Sid not playing well. Sounds like a good game for me to miss.

I guess this is one of those "thanks for the 2 points, now let's ****ing play better next game" sort of games. Hopefully Geno doesn't miss any time. I ****ing hate concussions (possible concussion).
Pretty much. Win's a win.

Florida is the kind of team that is mostly a black hole of scoring chances... except for the odd game where they are awful and give up a thousand. This was definitely the black hole type of game.

Hopefully nothing long-term with Geno, ie. playoffs.

Not looking too much in to this game, let's just keep the momentum going. Love seeing DJ score though, give the guy a ****ing chance. Been pumping his tires for a couple years now, smart player who knows what it takes to get it done.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:31 AM
Candyman

Plus:

Beau Bennett- Dude was great tonight

Marc-Andre Fleury- Was great, and showed some emotion tonight after that play should have been whistled dead drawing the penalty. I like it.

Kunitz- Despite the missed EN, he played a great game I thought.

Cooke- Holy Pass!!!

Niskanen- Weak goal for Markstrom to let in, but I still loved Niskanen's game tonight.

Orpik- Loved him trying to get involved offensively.

Adams: Physical Presence tonight.

Despres- Great game from this kid making a few really good passes
Equal:

Crosby- Dude needs better linemates, I hate putting him here because he was trying tonight I thought, but his blind passes aren't getting picked up by the wingers, or d-men... or anyone else on our team.

Neal- Floated a lot I thought, whiffed at least one time I thought he should have had.

Letang- Haven't jumped on the "get off the PP" bandwagon until tonight... dude just isn't PP QB material.

Martin- Looked good on the PP, but didn't notice him much the rest of the game.

Jeffrey -limited time, still got the goal off Cooke's amazing pass

Dupuis- Played a good, not great game. Also picked him to score first and let me down.

Sutter- Didn't notice him much of the game, but why is he taking crucial faceoff's that Crosby should be getting at the end of the game?

Engelland- Not a great game from him, saw a few guys go by him for chances, but not a terrible game either. Wouldn't mind seeing some more physicality from him in a game like this.

Minus:

Malkin injury- Obviously.

Kennedy- Not just as a scapegoat, he legit didn't play a good game.

Glass- What the hell dude, Show some response to our top guys getting rocked.

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:44 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

I'd be shocked if he didn't have a concussion. Absolutely shocked. He hit the boards hard, his head snapped back and hit the boards after the whiplash. If all he has is a sore back/neck, we should all be thankful as all Hell.

But hey, at least Sid gets to play with Neal now.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:48 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
I'd be shocked if he didn't have a concussion. Absolutely shocked. He hit the boards hard, his head snapped back and hit the boards after the whiplash. If all he has is a sore back/neck, we should all be thankful as all Hell.

But hey, at least Sid gets to play with Neal now.
Not according to initial reports.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_°)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Not according to initial reports.
Elaborate, please.

Did someone say something idiotic like Sutter is going to be centering Bennett and Neal?

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:00 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Elaborate, please.

Did someone say something idiotic like Sutter is going to be centering Bennett and Neal?
That idiot would be your head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Bylsma audio is here. Around the 1:10 mark.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...id-it-postgame

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:04 AM
Candyman

As a side note Fleury's 2.22 GAA this season is the lowest in his career to this point (Knock on wood) and yes i know it's a small sample size too. But he's playing great right now also his 91.7% save percentage is 3rd highest, next to his 07-08 92.1% and 10-11 91.8%.

Again doesn't mean much, but I'm very happy with his play so far this season

Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:37 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 126
Another thing that bugs me is how Sid seems to have reverted back to "pass now...shoot occasionaly" mode.

He had a 2 on 1 tonight with...Kunitz wasn't it??? I so wished he would have just ignored Koon and shot that puck.

I mean cripes, Sid is a 50+ goal scorer, we all know how he can rack up the goals. So why doesn't he just do it??? It's not like our guys convert most of the time on the great passes he gives them so why doesn't he just be selfish?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:44 AM
TheSniper26
Leadership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
As a side note Fleury's 2.22 GAA this season is the lowest in his career to this point (Knock on wood) and yes i know it's a small sample size too. But he's playing great right now also his 91.7% save percentage is 3rd highest, next to his 07-08 92.1% and 10-11 91.8%.

I'm one of Fleury's biggest critics, but I couldn't be happier with the way he's played so far this season. It's not just his numbers, but it's the way he's making saves. He's seems very confident in net and is staying very composed. He's simplified his movements and he's making saves look easy. Hope he keeps this up as we head towards the postseason.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:10 AM
Sotty

Quote:

But he lets in 1-2 soft goals EVERY game. That is a fact, at least that is what most of his haters around here claim once he doesn't have a good game.

Sotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:39 AM
Saving Greiss
Go sell ice cream!

Quote:
Watched the clip of the hit after getting home, and those are my thoughts as well.

Malkin's health aside for a moment... this teams centre depth with Malkin out of the lineup.

Crosby
Sutter
Kennedy
Jeffrey

Or something like that. Even more reason to acquire a guy like Cullen. No way he would fill Malkin's hole (no player could), but he would be a better option than Sutter.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:57 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sutter- Didn't notice him much of the game, but why is he taking crucial faceoff's that Crosby should be getting at the end of the game?
Niskanen iced the puck, Bylsma couldn't change the players on the ice.

Random Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:59 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Another thing that bugs me is how Sid seems to have reverted back to "pass now...shoot occasionaly" mode.

He had a 2 on 1 tonight with...Kunitz wasn't it??? I so wished he would have just ignored Koon and shot that puck.

I mean cripes, Sid is a 50+ goal scorer, we all know how he can rack up the goals. So why doesn't he just do it??? It's not like our guys convert most of the time on the great passes he gives them so why doesn't he just be selfish?
I don't really disagree with you but he's still tied for second in the league in shots.

Random Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote