HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Vicente

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
What about that norway team stavenger oilers?
I don't see them entering competition this year already. But who knows. The problem with them is their new stadium and the size of the city. It's very small.

I would really like to see a Norwegian team in KHL but it should be in Oslo or close to it. I doubt the Stavanger Oilers are ever going to relocate to Oslo Spektrum or so.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:36 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
AK Bars will receive the money no matter if there's -20 in arena and 5 fans or 10 000 fans...
Agree, not good job by Ak Bars whole season, but they started their job on internet. We will see....

Maybe it is not good job from your point of view but I consider it as good start.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Would it be hard to take on 4 students, guys in Moscow who study video technologies or sth to make game summaries and upload goals and summaries in real time, fresh after the game has ended or is still going.
that is not a solution... KHL needs to hire professionals.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:41 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
When are new teams actually officially announced?
I would say late april, early may. We need to know newcomers before draft (last week of may).

Sochi and Stavanger no change to join this year.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
I have said many times on here that Norway is an unexplored gold mine of hockey and the KHL needs to get in there more than any of the other places they seems to be expanding to. Norway has a great economy, a great love of winter sports, a budding hockey culture and some great players are coming out of there.
People deny it, but I believe that having a team in Norway would be a powerful stimulus to an eventual Swedish entry in the KHL. Norway and Sweden have a huge rivalry in other winter sports, particularly cross country skiing, and it could form a great rivalry for the respective fans in both countries, should they end up in the KHL.

Old
02-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Vicente

Let's say in the future there would be a Norwegian and a Danish KHL team. Do you really think the Swedes would be happy that their "small neighbours" have a better ice hockey product than themselves? Well...

Regarding the draft:

I remember this stupid situatin when a so called team Budivelnyk Kiev participated in a draft and never played. So I think new teams should enter draft only in the second year.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:04 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Regarding the draft:

I remember this stupid situatin when a so called team Budivelnyk Kiev participated in a draft and never played. So I think new teams should enter draft only in the second year.
I remember it as I agree with 2nd year.... not only a draft is a reason why we need to know newcomers in april/may. As you know, free agency starts 1st May. Newcomers would be in disadvantageous situation if they joined in late june for example - no free players on KHL´s and euro´s market. Plus, KHL need to make schedule for next season... it is not done within a hour. Finally, look at past, all announcments were in april/may. Yes, Kiev failed.

Old
02-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Doubt we will see a swedish team in KHL soon...

Last edited by Hockeyfrilla: 02-22-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old
02-22-2013, 04:19 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Swedish team in KHL? We dont need a KHL team here.
KHL does not care that Swedes want. If KHL wants swedish team, there will be swedish team. Or better option, german/norwegian/finnish/polish club with 20 Swedes on roster. What is better? To have swedish KHL team or exodus of best Elitserien players?

Old
02-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
Let's say in the future there would be a Norwegian and a Danish KHL team. Do you really think the Swedes would be happy that their "small neighbours" have a better ice hockey product than themselves? Well...
What makes you think they would be automatically be "better hockey products"?

Old
02-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
What makes you think they would be automatically be "better hockey products"?
More money involved due to bigger market for sponsors, far better coverage, money gets them better players, KHL is a more competitive league than Elitserien. There are quite a lot of points that make a KHL team a very good product.

Off course those Scandinavian KHL teams would need a decent roster not to lose as often as Avtomobilist.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Hockeyfrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
KHL does not care that Swedes want. If KHL wants swedish team, there will be swedish team.
haha, okey.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:30 PM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
haha, okey.
It was not the best expression by Vorky. What he means is: if there are sponsors, investors and fans in a certain place in Sweden who want to play KHL and get a team it is no problem for KHL if all other Swedish hockey fans don't like that idea.

In Slovakia almost everyone was against KHL and so it was in Czech Republic but now with Slovan and Lev being a good hockey product and having made the playoffs in their first season people start to respect the league and see the advantages of having KHL hockey available in their countries.

Doesn't have to come this way in Sweden but it could be off course.

My favourites from Sweden for a KHL franchise would be Malmö Redhawks. I mean nobody would miss them in Elitserien anyway, right, as they are too dumb to get back into the league for years now.

Old
02-22-2013, 07:39 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Hockeyfrilla

Are you happy that your local team or Elitserien team in generall are losing players every summer? Do you like it?

if your answer is YES, then I have no dicsussion with you. I would cry if that happens to my local team... especially in such good league as Elitserien.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
It was not the best expression by Vorky. What he means is: if there are sponsors, investors and fans in a certain place in Sweden who want to play KHL and get a team it is no problem for KHL if all other Swedish hockey fans don't like that idea.
I doubt there are sponsors in Sweden willing to quadruple or likely more their input into a team. They'd need a Russian money and with that would likely come relinquishing in part control of the club. That was strict no-no with Espoo Blues when they were in discussion with the KHL (supposedly a majority of the club would have been owned by a Russian sponsor) and I doubt the Swedes would be fine with that either.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I doubt there are sponsors in Sweden willing to quadruple or likely more their input into a team. They'd need a Russian money and with that would likely come relinquishing in part control of the club. That was strict no-no with Espoo Blues when they were in discussion with the KHL (supposedly a majority of the club would have been owned by a Russian sponsor) and I doubt the Swedes would be fine with that either.
If only 1-2 teams from Sweden would join KHL there would be no need for certain sponsors to pay more than now because in fact, like it was with Slovan and Lev, many new companies decide to sponsor the team because the whole of Europe and Russia is a far bigger market than just Sweden. So companies from all over the country could see it as a good marketing strategy to have a KHL team placed in a market of the future.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:24 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Hockeyfrilla

Are you happy that your local team or Elitserien team in generall are losing players every summer? Do you like it?

if your answer is YES, then I have no dicsussion with you. I would cry if that happens to my local team... especially in such good league as Elitserien.
I applaud your dramatics but the truth is - Elitserien isn't really losing that many players to the KHL. Thornberg, Persson and Martensson I think are the only ones who've left and are truly missed. Gynge and Pettersson may be additions to this list but they hadn't exactly performed very well in the KHL so they may be back to Sweden for next season. At the end it's 3-5 players while you are talking about teams losing players to KHL every summer. What players are you talking about?

Old
02-22-2013, 08:33 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
I applaud your dramatics but the truth is - Elitserien isn't really losing that many players to the KHL. Thornberg, Persson and Martensson I think are the only ones who've left and are truly missed. Gynge and Pettersson may be additions to this list but they hadn't exactly performed very well in the KHL so they may be back to Sweden for next season. At the end it's 3-5 players while you are talking about teams losing players to KHL every summer. What players are you talking about?
About Elitserien players leaving to KHL teams. It is not my problem you dont get the point.

Swedes proces tons of talents now. Many of them leaving to NA. KHL wants teams in Milan, Gdansk, Germany.. who will play for them? Italians? Poles? Germans? Of course, a few local guys but many players from Elitserien or SM-Liiga. Maybe guys from AHL...

KHL is doing on asian expanssion. Maybe you heard about it. Who will play here? Chinese? Not.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:17 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
About Elitserien players leaving to KHL teams. It is not my problem you dont get the point.
Your problem is you are making a point which is non-existent.

KHL already has 26 teams. Very few truly valuable players (local stars if you will) left Sweden to play in the KHL. What leads you to assume it will somehow become a problem for Elitserien after the KHL expansion?

Maybe it will be the guys from AHL, VHL, SM-Liiga, DEL, EBEL, ECHL or whatever. Fact is that so far Elitserien has enough money to keep the players they need to themselves. Creation of the new teams in non-hockey markets is no ground to base a fact that Elitserien will be affected in some major way.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:19 AM
russianhockey

Medvedev:
Code:
Скорее всего, в следующем году в КХЛ будет команда из Владивостока. Не исключаю, что в следующем сезоне в КХЛ будет 28 команд, - отметил функционер.
ENG: very likely Vladivastok will join next season. i wont except that we will have 28 teams next year.

http://www.championat.com/hockey/news-1461277-medvedev-v-sledujushhem-sezone-v-kkhl-budet-komanda-iz-vladivostoka.html

Old
02-23-2013, 03:28 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
next year
Confusing interview... does he speak about 2013/14 or 14/15 season?

Old
02-23-2013, 03:31 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Now that's what I call expansion

Old
02-23-2013, 03:36 AM
BalticWarrior

Why Vladivostok? Few questions to someone who knows better than me- How big the capacity of their arena is? How much hockey following is there in Vladivostok? Do you guys thinks it can be succesful market?

Old
02-23-2013, 03:40 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Why Vladivostok? Few questions to someone who knows better than me- How big the capacity of their arena is? How much hockey following is there in Vladivostok? Do you guys thinks it can be succesful market?
I read arena is for 5500 during hockey games, 7000 concerts. Not sure, google. Can not say about (un)popularity of hockey here.

There was an video-interview with Fetisov as well. He said that Putin and Medvedev support the idea. Plus plan to create own conf here in far future.

Vladivostok is a market where you can find a lot of money in next decade +. Thats why.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:44 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I read arena is for 5500 during hockey games, 7000 concerts. Not sure, google. Can not say about (un)popularity of hockey here.

There was an video-interview with Fetisov as well. He said that Putin and Medvedev support the idea. Plus plan to create own conf here in far future.

Vladivostok is a market where you can find a lot of money in next decade +. Thats why.
Surely they must be planning on building a new one...? And wwhat happens with Zagreb,Milan etc?

Closed Thread