HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 02:58 AM
russianhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Confusing interview... does he speak about 2013/14 or 14/15 season?
sorry, was my fault - i used year as synonym for season. he speaks about 2013/2014.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:02 AM
hockeyamateur

Someone made this eliteprospects link to Spektrum Flyers(former team in Norway) about their entry to the KHL. Obviously fake.

But the team-rosters looks like something that perhaps Stavanger Oilers could have if they entered. Most of the Norwegians(on this list) has already confirmed that they are willing to relocate to Oilers if they were to enter the league. Some has not made a statement and the imports are based on being high profiles in Europe I suppose.

Interesting is also that they/he/she put up Roy Johansen, the Norwegian national coach as head coach and for assistant coach choose Petter Thoresen, coach in Stavanger Oilers. And for goaltender-coach they choose Petr Jaros former g-coach for Dinamo Minsk and Norway's nat-team.

www.elitespektrumflyers.com/

Last edited by hockeyamateur: 02-23-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old
02-23-2013, 03:04 AM
BalticWarrior

Whats with Norwegians callling their teams after NHL teams,cant they be a BIT more original?

Old
02-23-2013, 03:13 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianhockeyDOTde View Post
sorry, was my fault - i used year as synonym for season. he speaks about 2013/2014.
not your fault... I read it as well and I am confused

Old
02-23-2013, 03:15 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
And for goaltender-coach they choose Petr Jaros former g-coach for Dinamo Minsk and Norway's nat-team.
He is current goalie coach in Minsk. Yes, he left before this season and was replaced some Finn... but Jaros came back during this season as I know.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:16 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
And for goaltender-coach they choose Petr Jaros former g-coach for Dinamo Minsk and Norway's nat-team.
He is current goalie coach in Minsk. Yes, he left before this season and was replaced some Finn... but Jaros came back during this season as I know.

EDIT:

wow, double post? How?? Sorry.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:37 AM
Spektanto

Even if Vladivostok joins the KHL, it won't play long, I believe. 6k seats at hockey matches + artificial club (the news about redraft upsets me) = would-be VHL team. The KHL promised to raise the seats limit further, so it will be not only Vladivostok, who would leave the league one day.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:42 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
Your problem is you are making a point which is non-existent.

KHL already has 26 teams. Very few truly valuable players (local stars if you will) left Sweden to play in the KHL. What leads you to assume it will somehow become a problem for Elitserien after the KHL expansion?

Maybe it will be the guys from AHL, VHL, SM-Liiga, DEL, EBEL, ECHL or whatever. Fact is that so far Elitserien has enough money to keep the players they need to themselves. Creation of the new teams in non-hockey markets is no ground to base a fact that Elitserien will be affected in some major way.
dont live in past, think about future....

my answer http://www.vf.se/sport/ishockey/khlintresse-aven-lee

Old
02-23-2013, 03:49 AM
hockeyamateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Whats with Norwegians callling their teams after NHL teams,cant they be a BIT more original?
I think because North Americans introduced and built up hockey in Scandinavia.

But today it's not much of that no more. Few teams in Sweden still use names like that. Brynäs Tigers, Frölunda Indians, Malmö Redhawks, Leksand Stars, Färjestad Wolves, Djurgården Lions, Södertälje Lightning, Luleå Bears, Timrå Red Eagles, Hv71 Blue Bulls, Linköping White Lions, Västerås Eagles.

In Norway a few also like Stavanger Oilers, Sparta Sarpsborg and Storhamar Dragons.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:46 AM
Vicente

If there is a team in Vladivostok it is just because of the market. The Far East is developing fast and will be the new focus for the Russian government! They would have a rivalry with Amur which is good aswell.

Maybe they could get 2 teams from Japan, 2 from South Korea and 1 from China so they would have a 7-team division.

What about playing in Saitama Super Arena, Yokohama Arena and Beijing National Indoor Stadium.

Last edited by Vicente: 02-23-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old
02-23-2013, 07:21 AM
jaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Stavanger is about oil. There even is an oil-drilling museum there. Probably Edmonton did help, but seldom a name was more appropriate than Stavanger oilers.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:54 AM
anofsti

vCash: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicente View Post
I don't see them entering competition this year already. But who knows. The problem with them is their new stadium and the size of the city. It's very small.

I would really like to see a Norwegian team in KHL but it should be in Oslo or close to it. I doubt the Stavanger Oilers are ever going to relocate to Oslo Spektrum or so.
Nah, Stavanger is prolly the best city for it as is. Hockey has lost alot of ground in the capitol as of late, due to the stadium being from the Olympics in '52 (or close to it!)

Stavanger, and it's local industry, also has most to gain by being introduced to the Russian market.

... And they are by far the best and most professional organization in Norway.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Spektanto

Made a map at Google according to the news: link. Later I'll place the marks at the places of arenas, not just cities.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
I hate this obsession with arena size. As long as arena is newly built, it should do, especially in a new market.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:23 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
If only 1-2 teams from Sweden would join KHL there would be no need for certain sponsors to pay more than now because in fact, like it was with Slovan and Lev, many new companies decide to sponsor the team because the whole of Europe and Russia is a far bigger market than just Sweden. So companies from all over the country could see it as a good marketing strategy to have a KHL team placed in a market of the future.
But that raises the question of current sponsors who may only sponsor with the domestic market in mind (e.g. national retail chain with no need for advertising abroad), would they automatically follow suit? Plus, like with Finland, their junior system is also designed around school schedule (to my knowledge), joining the MHL would not be an option.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
But that raises the question of current sponsors who may only sponsor with the domestic market in mind (e.g. national retail chain with no need for advertising abroad), would they automatically follow suit? Plus, like with Finland, their junior system is also designed around school schedule (to my knowledge), joining the MHL would not be an option.
Look. That's the point. Swedish companies with international market are the ones who would sponsor a KHL team. For sure also local sponsors from the KHL team's home town but the other companies from Sweden can concentrate on sponsoring Elitserien teams.

Then regarding MHL:

There is no need for a KHL team from Scandinavia to have an own team in MHL. They also could just let ther junior players stay in the domestic youth leagues and maybe send a couple of guys to play in an already existing MHL team.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Schalkenullvier*

I'm not much into the situation, but I can't imagine a german KHL team in the forseeable future. What city? It would need a ton of corporate support, because I don't think many fans will be interested in giving up winning the german championship for playing against Vladivostok or Omsk. And honsestly no one will sponsor a team here that doesn't even play in the domestic league, might as well burn the money.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:56 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
I'm not much into the situation, but I can't imagine a german KHL team in the forseeable future. What city? It would need a ton of corporate support, because I don't think many fans will be interested in giving up winning the german championship for playing against Vladivostok or Omsk. And honsestly no one will sponsor a team here that doesn't even play in the domestic league, might as well burn the money.
Who knows? Do you follow german-russian bussiness connections nowadays? Believe me, there are german sponsors who would like to invest into KHL´s club.

Btw, one german car producer wanted to sponsor SKA, but KHL rules did not allowed it. You know, KHL´s main partner is Chevrolet, clubs can not promote competitor. That is a problem of KHL, this rule. Of course, not only problem.

If german firm wants to sponsor russian club, why not german´s?

Old
02-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Who knows? Do you follow german-russian bussiness connections nowadays? Believe me, there are german sponsors who would like to invest into KHL´s club.

Btw, one german car producer wanted to sponsor SKA, but KHL rules did not allowed it. You know, KHL´s main partner is Chevrolet, clubs can not promote competitor. That is a problem of KHL, this rule. Of course, not only problem.

If german firm wants to sponsor russian club, why not german´s?
I'm sure it would be a decent investment for a company that wants to improve their market in Russia... but wouldn't they sponsor directly in Russia for that? I'm not sure there's a company wiling to sponsor (with BIG money) a german team without actually getting much publicity in germany itself.

On top of that there would be many sponsors needed, because it is difficult to just start a club from scratch. It's a huge risk actually.They tried that in Hanover with the scorpions, and although they won a championship, the second division but traditional Indians are still 10x as popular in the city and the scorpions are always on the brink of bankrupcy.

Let's say they want to put a team in Berlin, the only chance they have is that it is the Eisbären switch over to the KHL... if you start a new franchise to compete with them, no one will go watch it, even if the Eisbären get relegated to 2nd division.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:28 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I'm sure it would be a decent investment for a company that wants to improve their market in Russia... but wouldn't they sponsor directly in Russia for that? I'm not sure there's a company wiling to sponsor (with BIG money) a german team without actually getting much publicity in germany itself.
CKD Group has Lev Prague, they were (are??) sponsor of Magnitka. I dont know, maybe it is not so easy to sponsor russian club if you are from Germany? I mean law restrictions... who knows.

Quote:
On top of that there would be many sponsors needed, because it is difficult to just start a club from scratch. It's a huge risk actually.They tried that in Hanover with the scorpions, and although they won a championship, the second division but traditional Indians are still 10x as popular in the city and the scorpions are always on the brink of bankrupcy.
12-15 milions Euro is enough for the beggining. I believe it would not be problem for one or two big german firms. Whom does Gazprom do bussiness with?

Quote:
Let's say they want to put a team in Berlin, the only chance they have is that it is the Eisbären switch over to the KHL... if you start a new franchise to compete with them, no one will go watch it, even if the Eisbären get relegated to 2nd division.
Agree, similar situation with Lev vs Sparta/Slavia but Lev has still better attendance. Medvedev said that there were 3-4 german club interested in joining. I dont believe that all of them was new clubs... it was a year ago, have no idea about today´s situation.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Vicente

There are so many reasons why German KHL teams could fail but NOT because of lack of sponsors!!

There are tons of German companies interested in exporting their products to Russia and so many Russian companies who want to sell their products to the German market.

Sometimes during KHL advertising sports 30% of the products are German. Althoung the advertising on the boards.

Just few examples: VW, Continental, Mahle (automobile industry)

Old
02-24-2013, 03:20 AM
VladNYC

Quote:
German-Russian trading and cooperation is expanding drastically every year. Look who sponcers FC Schalke. German companies have been growing into the Russian market too. Volkswagen is building a new plant in Kaluga, Russia. There is a lot of cooperation in the energy and engineering sectors as well. Finding German sponcers for a KHL team will not be hard as many German companies are trying to expand into the growing middle class Russian market.

The same goes for Sweden. Husqavarna, Ikea and many other Swedish companies do business in Russia.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektanto View Post
Even if Vladivostok joins the KHL, it won't play long, I believe. 6k seats at hockey matches + artificial club (the news about redraft upsets me) = would-be VHL team. The KHL promised to raise the seats limit further, so it will be not only Vladivostok, who would leave the league one day.
There may be initial problems to overcome, but if the KHL is intent on expanding, it seems as though Vladivostok serves a purpose. Far Western teams (e.g., Dinamo Riga) don't like the long flight to Khabarovsk, so it seems as though having another team in the relative vicinity makes sense. Its like in the NHL, if the Boston Bruins fly to Los Angeles to play the Kings, then it makes sense to play against the Anaheim Ducks on the same trip. That way, you get both games done on a single road trip. I don't know if it will happen, but the characteristics of the city and the proximity (relative) to Khabarovsk argue in favor of a franchise there.

Old
02-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Vicente

Just imagine a road trip Khabarovsk - Vladivostok - Saitama - Yokohama - Seoul - Beijing.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Just imagine a road trip Khabarovsk - Vladivostok - Saitama - Yokohama - Seoul - Beijing.
It's probably after 100 years when you will be able to make a flight Berlin- Tokyo in 1.5 hours.
Though I could see a Japanese club in the KHL. You just need a proper marketing. Just put Bob Sapp on the skates and you're on the right track already. Add humiliating challenges as a part of the show during the breaks between periods, bubblegum rain, purple robots singing national anthems, K-pop songs after the goals are scorer and it could work...

Closed Thread