HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Franson, Fraser, Gunnarson, Holzer, Kostka all need a contract!

Old
02-23-2013, 04:41 AM
HappyGilmourr

vCash: 500
Franson, Fraser, Gunnarson, Holzer, Kostka all need a contract!

Dion Phaneuf is our only defensmen that will 100 percent be on the team next year. Komisarek and Liles are the only other players with 1 way contracts but there definitely not a lock for next years roster. Then you have Gardiner who should make the team (1.1 m cap hit) and Morgan Reilly fighting for a roster spot.

Gunnarson - RFA
Franson - RFA
Fraser - RFA
Holzer - RFA
Kostka - UFA

Phaneuf - ??????
Gardiner - ?????
??????? - ???????

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:52 AM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

Hmm, is there any way we can start 8 defence men next year?

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:54 AM
MapleLeafs9
HFBoards Sponsor

What went on with the whole CBA business in regards to when you become a UFA or not?

MapleLeafs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:59 AM
HappyGilmourr

I break it down into 3 categories.

The two young guys: Gardiner, Reilly
Due for contract: Holzer, Gunnarson, Franson, Fraser, Kostka
Signed for next year: Phaneuf, Liles, Komisarek

OUT: Kostka, Komisarek, Reilly.

Morgan Reilly - WHL - seriously I have no problem with him dominating the WHL, build confidence, have a huge role for Canada at the U20 world championship like Alex Pitreangelo did as a 20 year old also. He will have many years in the NHL absoultley no need to rush him with the amount of depth we have.

Mike Koskta: He's been a great 5 on 5 player for us but he's a UFA. If he would accept a two way contract or a 1 year deal I would bring him back... but if not we have to many RFA's that are easier to sign and move around.

Komisarek: Trade, waive, minors... he actually hasn't be horrible for us but it's pretty clear with the amount of depth he doesn't have a spot.

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Holzer
Fraser - Franson
Liles

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:00 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Dion Phaneuf is our only defensmen that will 100 percent be on the team next year. Komisarek and Liles are the only other players with 1 way contracts but there definitely not a lock for next years roster. Then you have Gardiner who should make the team (1.1 m cap hit) and Morgan Reilly fighting for a roster spot.

Gunnarson - RFA
Franson - RFA
Fraser - RFA
Holzer - RFA
Kostka - UFA

Phaneuf - ??????
Gardiner - ?????
??????? - ???????
Phaneuf - Holzer
Gardiner - Kostka/Gunnarsson
Fraser - Blacker/Komisarek

We need 8 defenders and at least one of them should be able to be sent down with out having to be waived and that would be Blacker.
Liles, Franson traded for C depth.
Rielly either goes back to juniors or if he is allowed, play with the Marlies.
Komisarek, he wont get much of a return and he have looked good in Carlyles system. Forget about his cap hit and he is a useful defender in a bottom pairing role.
Kostka have looked good when 5 on 5 but I am not prepared to give up on Gunnarsson because of a small sample of games. And the benefit with Gunnarsson is that he can pretty much play with anyone and will not be expensive to resign. Always nice to hang on to a player we have drafted and developed as well.
Might play Gunnarsson with Phaneuf if Holzer cant handle the minutes Phaneuf plays.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:10 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

AlienWorkShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:28 AM
Jerkini

Who we bring back depends on salary considerations.

In my ideal world, I'd bring them all back sans Liles and Komisarek for not much more than they're currently earning.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:52 AM
RtooDtu

I can see us trading Franson in a package deal that gets us a great centerman. With Gardiner and Reilly in the minors it means Franson is replaceable. You need to keep in mind in order to get something good you need to give up something good and is the main reason why Burke stacked the Blue line.

What I would like to see happen is this:

Franson + 1st rounder + MacArthur + Grabovski (would rather give up Grab but if push came to shove I would give up Bozak instead of Grab)

and we get the perfect 1st line center we've always needed. I have no Idea who that would be but with the players above it needs to be of Nash quality and young (if he is over 27 I'm not sure if I would want him). Or we can use that package to trade with a team for a top 3 draft selection in next year's draft.

RtooDtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:46 AM
leafspring*

Rielly has 14 points in his last 9 games. 5G/9A. Hottest scoring D-man in the whl's top 5 d-men easily.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:55 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Rielly has 14 points in his last 9 games. 5G/9A. Hottest scoring D-man in the whl's top 5 d-men easily.
And he wants Fransons #4 so... not serious btw.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:

Morgan Reilly - WHL - seriously I have no problem with him dominating the WHL, build confidence, have a huge role for Canada at the U20 world championship like Alex Pitreangelo did as a 20 year old also. He will have many years in the NHL absoultley no need to rush him with the amount of depth we have.

Mike Koskta: He's been a great 5 on 5 player for us but he's a UFA. If he would accept a two way contract or a 1 year deal I would bring him back... but if not we have to many RFA's that are easier to sign and move around.

Komisarek: Trade, waive, minors... he actually hasn't be horrible for us but it's pretty clear with the amount of depth he doesn't have a spot.

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Holzer
Fraser - Franson
Liles
I don't want Reilly anywhere near this team next year, unless we need the cap space because we killed it in the UFA market.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:

Gunnarson - RFA
Franson - RFA
Fraser - RFA
Holzer - RFA
Kostka - UFA

Phaneuf - ??????
Gardiner - ?????
??????? - ???????
Liles should be kept around. I'd trade one of Fraser/Holzer/Kostka while their value is high.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:18 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Gunnarson - RFA
Franson - RFA
Fraser - RFA
Holzer - RFA
Kostka - UFA

Phaneuf - ??????
Gardiner - ?????
??????? - ???????
I'd be okay with all one-way deals:

Gunnarsson - 5 years $12.5 - $15
Franson - 3 years $6.6 - 7.2
Fraser - 3 years $3
Holzer - 3 years $4.2
Kostka - 3 years $3

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:30 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:

Gunnarson - RFA
Franson - RFA
Fraser - RFA
Holzer - RFA
Kostka - UFA

Phaneuf - ??????
Gardiner - ?????
??????? - ???????
Something has to give with the leafs d-men. I think Komisarek gets bought out in the summer and at least one d-man moved by trade before the deadline.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:36 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Holzer
Fraser - Franson
Liles
No reason the Leafs can't carry 8 d. I think Kostka re-signs with the Leafs, and I hope he does. Cheap signing, likes playing with the leafs and is from Ajax.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:39 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
No reason the Leafs can't carry 8 d. I think Kostka re-signs with the Leafs, and I hope he does. Cheap signing, likes playing with the leafs and is from Ajax.
Ajax are mostly known for producing great attacking players but I think Kostka is solid enough to resign...

Old
02-23-2013, 09:40 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
I think a cheap multi-year deal would work for both team and players.

3 years at 1 million per year.

Set Kostka up for life.
Leafs take risk that he's benefiting from the lock-out distortion and falls back to earth, and he becomes a 5-7th. d-man.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:43 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

dunno if i keep gunnarsson

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:48 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

I imagine both Gardiner/Rielly on the team next year. Franson is earning his keep too and is young. Gunnarsson is a steady top-four who'll make some extra coin too. Fraser and Holzer will round out the depth/replacement players on cheap deals.

Phaneuf, Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Franson, Rielly, Fraser, Holzer.

There's seven defenders. I prefer to move Kostka if they can trade him for value, if not see what it'll take to re-sign him for depth purposes. I'd prefer the Leafs look to take whatever savings they can get off Kostka's potential raise and put it towards a top-four UFA defender. Who knows who may pop up on the market after potential buyouts this summer, or for trade.

02-23-2013, 09:51 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think a cheap multi-year deal would work for both team and players.

3 years at 1 million per year.

Set Kostka up for life.
Leafs take risk that he's benefiting from the lock-out distortion and falls back to earth, and he becomes a 5-7th. d-man.
Agreed completely. Nice to see the Leafs have the depth they do, and a few youngsters who may be on the way in a few years. I have no issue with keeping Reilly in the WHL and let him develop. St Louis really took their time with Pietrangelo, certainlly didnt hurt him.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:56 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:

Mike Koskta: He's been a great 5 on 5 player for us but he's a UFA. If he would accept a two way contract
or a 1 year deal I would bring him back... but if not we have to many RFA's that are easier to sign and move around.

Phaneuf - Gunnarson
Gardiner - Holzer
Fraser - Franson
Liles
Why would that matter to you?

The Blue Devil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:59 AM
The Blue Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by RtooDtu View Post
I can see us trading Franson in a package deal that gets us a great centerman. With Gardiner and Reilly in the minors it means Franson is replaceable. You need to keep in mind in order to get something good you need to give up something good and is the main reason why Burke stacked the Blue line.

What I would like to see happen is this:

Franson + 1st rounder + MacArthur + Grabovski (would rather give up Grab but if push came to shove I would give up Bozak instead of Grab)

and we get the perfect 1st line center we've always needed. I have no Idea who that would be but with the players above it needs to be of Nash quality and young (if he is over 27 I'm not sure if I would want him). Or we can use that package to trade with a team for a top 3 draft selection in next year's draft.
No team would give up a pick for that, do people even consider cap implications when making proposals?

The Blue Devil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Donkey Punch
Rookie User

Gotta keep Fraser. Leafs have been trying for years to draft tough defenseman that can play and failing miserably (Gary Nylund, Luke Richardson, Bob McGill). This guy is a gift.

Donkey Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I think Phaneuf, Gardiner, Gunnarson, Franson should all be locks. Wouldn't mind resigning Kostka if we can get him cheap and short term.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Quote:

Gunnarson - RFA
Franson - RFA
Fraser - RFA
Holzer - RFA
Kostka - UFA

Phaneuf - ??????
Gardiner - ?????
??????? - ???????

I like Kostka, but he's a UFA, easier to let him go than anyone else, cross him off.

Franson has been playing really well, deserves to be re-signed and stay, Fraser too.

I'd like to hold on to Holzer and Gunnarsson as well.

Phaneuf-Holzer
Gardiner-Franson
Fraser-Liles
Gunnarsson

Voila! Problem solved.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote