Notices

Redmond taken to hospital after skate cut - [UPDATE]: Out for season

Old
02-22-2013, 05:47 PM
sully1410

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTDD View Post
Sorry, it's sometimes hard to assess a posters intent sometimes and I agree, all we're doing here is discussing the situation that took place.

I haven't felt that anyone has crossed any lines whatsoever and furthermore, I would say that anyone who feels otherwise not just post and run but to try and articulate there concerns in such a way that others might better be able to comprehend just why they feel this way.

I understand totally with regards to the use being a last resort, without actually being there and only going on what information has been made available to date, wouldn't you say that the situation was pretty dire and using a jacket as a makeshift tourniquet was indeed approaching if not past the "last resort" stage?

The bold above is where I'm having difficulty understanding your point of view ref. tourniquets. I think he was in a life and death situation, I also think that the bleed was so critical that they had to use something to staunch the flow. If it's life or damage to tissue or nerve I think the answer is an easy one.

As for your example of the improper tourniquet use, that should not have been allowed to happen. It sounds like the Medic didn't know what they we're doing as well. You don't let someone crank a tourniquet on you that tight, especially when it's not required (for obvious reasons).

I can't imagine how that scenario played out.

Medic "Ok, slip the tourniquet over my leg, fasten the velcro, and turn to tighten, ok that's tight enough.....ok I can't feel my leg you can stop....no really you can stop now..."

Something strange about that...
It was an officer that did it. How else could that have happened?

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 05:56 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
It was an officer that did it. How else could that have happened?
This will be my last comment WRT this "medic".

There are junk medics as well as junk officers.

NODLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Damascus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
...unless someone offers an alternate point of view. Look, there were lots of folks in the Jets family traumatized by the whole thing and would just much rather it not be the big buzz. But you're right you have every right to talk about it, as I'm sure if your mother was run over by a bus you'd have no problem if a bunch of guys sit around a table and have chat about how it were either her bones or organs which were crushed, how much blood she lost, and how it was dealt with it. Just a chat, you know.
The difference is that my mother isn't being paid to play a televised sport. Don't you ever see TMZ or anything like that? Watch CNN? If you are an important person you bet there are going to be discussions/videos/facts about it. If it bothers you, don't read this thread

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 06:52 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
I feel so bad for Zach. Get better buddy!

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I hope Redmond makes a complete recovery so he can lead a normal life.

Scary stuff.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:08 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

On the bright side he won't get sent down to the AHL this season.

On the negative side, I really wanted him to get a lot of NHL minutes.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
...unless someone offers an alternate point of view. Look, there were lots of folks in the Jets family traumatized by the whole thing and would just much rather it not be the big buzz. But you're right you have every right to talk about it, as I'm sure if your mother was run over by a bus you'd have no problem if a bunch of guys sit around a table and have chat about how it were either her bones or organs which were crushed, how much blood she lost, and how it was dealt with it. Just a chat, you know.
If my mother had a pseudo-celebrity status, and she survived? Or say it was me who was involved in this accident? Honestly it probably would not bother me at all if some strangers on the internet discussed it in non-offensive manner. There's no attack on character here or anything I find offensive. In this day it would be totally expected. Nice try though.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:22 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
There is a full page story in the WFP about the injury. The passage of events as told by the article is chilling. I can't even imagine being on the scene. as a positive, we finally know the cause of the mysterious upper body injury that Mittens suffered. He stepped on a fallen stick, slipped, and fell head first against the boards, concussing himself.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:40 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
There is a full page story in the WFP about the injury. The passage of events as told by the article is chilling. I can't even imagine being on the scene. as a positive, we finally know the cause of the mysterious upper body injury that Mittens suffered. He stepped on a fallen stick, slipped, and fell head first against the boards, concussing himself.
the Mittens thing was weird. he admitted to tripping on a stick last week.
but poor guy. first, he trips on a stick and concusses himself.
then he accidentally steps on his teammate's leg and almost kills him.

he'll be walking on eggshells for the rest of the season.

HannuJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:59 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post
the Mittens thing was weird. he admitted to tripping on a stick last week.
but poor guy. first, he trips on a stick and concusses himself.
then he accidentally steps on his teammate's leg and almost kills him.

he'll be walking on eggshells for the rest of the season.
That's what I call rotten luck.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:05 AM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Quote:
Miracle on ice
Quick action by Jets staff, teammate likely saved Zach Redmond's life

PHILADELPHIA -- Maybe a guy becomes immune to it after slogging away in training rooms all over the hockey map for more than a decade.

You see, coaches yell and scream, rant and rave all the time. And so when Winnipeg Jets head athletic therapist Rob Milette first heard somebody holler "Mullet!" -- his nickname -- just after noon on Thursday in Raleigh, N.C., it just seemed like another mini-crisis was unfolding on another regular day at the office.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...192667711.html

EDIT: After reading the article I'm convinced now more than ever that if tourniquets aren't standard equipment within a trainers bag, they should be.

I also think a little refresher training is in order, for everyone, it just makes good sense.

Last edited by NODLR: 02-23-2013 at 11:14 AM.
NODLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:44 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Severe bleeding is crazy stuff. My wife spent 5 days in HSC's SICU after a severe bleed. Hope Redmond recovers quickly and is able to get back playing for the Jets before too long.

metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:21 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Statement from the Redmond Family

The Winnipeg Jets on behalf of the Redmond family released the following statement:

We are truly overwhelmed by the tremendous support we have received on behalf of Zach. The outpouring of emotion and kind words we have received has helped our family get through this difficult time.

We are eternally grateful for the quick response of the Winnipeg Jets training and coaching staff as well as Zach’s teammates, who without reservation jumped to his aid, heroically took control of the situation and made sure Zach was given the proper care, in turn saving his life. Zach is currently in positive spirits, and getting the rest he needs while surrounded by family and friends in a Raleigh area hospital. We are deeply appreciative of all the support and are optimistic about Zach’s full recovery and future.

At this time, we hope that Zach and ourselves, as well as his friends, can have a little privacy as he begins the healing process. Thank you again.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Nice to hear. All the best to Redmond and his family.

Hammer Slammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 08:36 AM
GaryinPrague

Really sucks for the guy, was getting his chance this year and was making the most of it. I hope he will be able to play professional again, there was alot of muscle damage, and many of those small veins were also severed, which weren't repaired, so the muscle wont have the same oxygen supply in the future.

GaryinPrague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Great news: #NHLJets defenceman Zach Redmond has left the hospital in Raleigh and returned home to Traverse City to continue his recovery.

Rheged is offline   Reply With Quote