HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders place DiPietro on Waivers

Old
02-23-2013, 12:30 AM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
This may be closer to the truth than the idea that DiPietro is being prepared for a buyout.

The Islanders need to stay above cap minimum. If DiPietro is claimed on waivers or if he is bought out the Islanders would be under the minimum cap. Niether Thomas nor Nabokov are playing well at the moment and both are older than Luongo. The rookie goalies the Islanders have are not ready, if ever, to play a leading roll in the NHL.

Of the teams that may be looking to improve in goal, the Islanders are a team with depth in quality prospects including a number of lottery picks. With Kesler and Booth back, the Canucks are no longer a team that absolutely is looking for NHL ready players. The Islanders could afford to give the Canucks an offer the Canucks cannot refuse in order to solidify their goal position and still not seriously harm the Islanders prospect depth.

Personally if the Islanders do trade with the Canucks for one of Vancouver's goalies, I think the Islanders will go afterr Cory Schnieder rather than Roberto Luongo.

Which players or prospects do you think Vancouver would be asking for in return?
The Islanders' current salary payroll is about $53M. The minimum is $44M. Even if DiPietro's $4.5M completely disappeared by a team claiming him, the Islanders would be more than fine. If the Islanders were to give him a compliance buyout right now, $3.6M of his cap hit would count towards the Islanders' cap for the rest of the season (see: Redden and Gomez). Again, more than fine.

Nabokov is not a top 10 goalie anymore but he is still more than serviceable. The Islanders are not going to be sending out young players for Luongo. They are not in a win-now mode.

Oh, and are you sure Thomas isn't playing well? I hear he's gotten a couple shutouts while sitting on his couch playing NHL 13.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:30 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
The Islanders' current salary payroll is about $53M. The minimum is $44M. Even if DiPietro's $4.5M completely disappeared by a team claiming him, the Islanders would be more than fine. If the Islanders were to give him a compliance buyout right now, $3.6M of his cap hit would count towards the Islanders' cap for the rest of the season (see: Redden and Gomez). Again, more than fine.

Nabokov is not a top 10 goalie anymore but he is still more than serviceable. The Islanders are not going to be sending out young players for Luongo. They are not in a win-now mode.

Oh, and are you sure Thomas isn't playing well? I hear he's gotten a couple shutouts while sitting on his couch playing NHL 13.
Actually I must admit that Thomas hasn't lost a game this season.

It was my understanding that salary floor was $48.3 million when the cap was set at $64 million, but I may be wrong.

As I mentioned, if such a trade does happen, I believe the Canucks (especially Gillis)would prefer to keep Luongo and the Islanders would prefer the younger Cory Schnieder. With decent goal tending the Islanders are not that far off being a decent team. You have good depth in your prospect pool. The trouble is the Islanders won't gel as a team while hoping for older goalies to provide adiquate goal tending and your younger goalies are still a number of years away in development of an NHL level even as back up. Push them now and they likely won't develop properly or reach their potential. Equally continuing to allow the team as a whole to expect to fail over the next few years will only teach them losing is acceptable.

I believe it is far more critical than you think that your team acquires a goalie, whether from the Canucks or from another team, that is strong enough to keep the Islanders in the game until the buzzer ends the game. That will bring out the best in your young quality forwards and defensemen.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:08 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
The day the Isles traded away Luongo and Jokinen in return for Kvasha and some other guy (cant even recall who) still haunts this team.

They need to purge all traces of anything from that era.
Wasn't Parrish the other guy?

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:42 AM
LightningStrikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Wasn't Parrish the other guy?
Yup. Parrish and Kvasha for Luongo and Jokinen.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:45 AM
wunderpanda

This may sound crazy, and although I don't expect a team to claim him due to his contract, I could see him getting a deal if the Isles buy him out. He's only 30, so he is entering prime years for a goalie, and due to injuries and bad luck, might be healthier than others the same age. Some time in the AHL to build his confidence and exposure to playing more than once a week could be all he needs.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:52 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
This may sound crazy, and although I don't expect a team to claim him due to his contract, I could see him getting a deal if the Isles buy him out. He's only 30, so he is entering prime years for a goalie, and due to injuries and bad luck, might be healthier than others the same age. Some time in the AHL to build his confidence and exposure to playing more than once a week could be all he needs.
It's not crazy. When he's healthy, he's a great goalie. If he's on a short term deal at 1.5m, I think most teams would look at him

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:54 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

I could see the Flyers picking up Dipietro

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
I could see the Flyers picking up Dipietro
Not at 4.5m for another 8 years.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:00 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Not at 4.5m for another 8 years.
Yeah I figured it would be, even for the Flyers.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:36 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
He's in what, year 5-6 of his 15yr deal?

This is actually the best thing for him I think, he was once a very good goaltender and I remember that. If he can get back into a groove in the AHL and really, he should spend the entire year there, he could bounce back next year. The bad part is that he's actually healthy now and probably needed time in the AHL during the lockout, but went to Germany instead and faced lesser competition.

Kind of sad to see the guy's career go this way. He's only played 3 games, he probably should have been given a few more starts, even goaltenders that don't deserve starts around the league, get more than that. I guess if he gets bought out next, he has the chance to sign for dirt cheap (since he's still getting paid by the Isles) and resurrect his career elsewhere.

And he's actually 31, turns 32 a month before the season starts (1981 born).

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Bexlyspeed

he could have been a really good goalie if not for injuries and if he ever stopped over handling the puck, something which he does at times.
i give him credit, the guy was a hard worker and he really loves the Islanders.
however drafting him first overall was a big mistake,
bigger mistake was trading luongo.
but that wasn't the ricks fault, you also can't blame him for signing the contract.

anyway i wish him the best. have no idea what wang is going to do regarding a buyout, but at least Poulin gets a chance and nabby gets a back up that can win a game.

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:33 AM
Wanderson

Quote:
It's not crazy. When he's healthy, he's a great goalie. If he's on a short term deal at 1.5m, I think most teams would look at him
Haha, I can see that you've not seen DiPi play in a very, very long time. He can't even move anymore. When he is on his knees, he can't get up fast enough. When he was drafted he was very good to play the puck, not anymore. It kinda sad to see. You say that he is a great goalie when healthy, he is not healthy anymore. The injuries has destroyed his body. DiPi is _done_.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Horrible contract. Feel sorry for NYI fans.
I feel bad for DiPietro. He's this burden for Islanders taking huge paycheck. It wasn't his fault someone offered him ridicolous long contract.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:40 AM
774coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarnkrok View Post
Wouldn't be shocked if the Islanders claimed him.
Oh My God ....... almost woke the family choking on me lucky charms !

774coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:51 AM
bigd

Quote:
He sux. He's not even an ECHL level goalie anymore.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:55 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood163 View Post
Snow should package DiPietro with a young player like Niederreiter and a pick to a deep pocketed team that aren't going to use their compliance buyout and would have no problem absorbing the expense.

The Isles would get DP off the books and the recieving team would get some young assets for the cash
And where do you think he can find a GM stupid enough for a deal like that? He would have to be dealing with someone like himself.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:59 AM
RealKrug47*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeshow View Post
Who will back up Nabokov now?
Tim Thomas

RealKrug47* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
DP is healthier than he has been in years and he is STILL horrible. When the guy goes down to the ice it takes him so long to get back up, you can literally see what has been done to this guys body when he plays.

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:02 AM
johnny_rudeboy

What would happen if DiPietro retired?

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:15 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Islanders fans would throw a parade.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:18 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Islanders fans would throw a parade.

But seriously. With the new CBA, what happens to players contracts who signed a long term and who are under 35 when they retire.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:33 AM
palindrom

Quote:
why would he retire ?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:39 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
why would he retire ?
To injured to play and he is forced to retire

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:16 AM
JeffForsberg21

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
To injured to play and he is forced to retire
If he signed retirement papers then he accept to void the 8 years left to his contract, so why would he do that, he can't be forced to retire. It will be like Marc Savard, he will be on injured reserve for the next 8 years

JeffForsberg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Pi

Quote:
He's never going to retire. He would lose a lot of money if he retired..

I see the Islanders buying him out in the offseason (not compliance buyout though, since they need the cap hit).

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote