HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Murphy called up?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2013, 10:02 PM
  #151
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
I liked what I saw.

Move McBain for a defensive pylon, and let Murphy be the new McBain. I like that defense a lot better.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:17 PM
  #152
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS
 
Anton Skinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Clarksville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 6,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
I liked what I saw.

Move McBain for a defensive pylon, and let Murphy be the new McBain. I like that defense a lot better.
what dont you get.....WE CANT KEEP HIM UP

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:50 PM
  #153
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Sorry, meant for next year.

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:43 PM
  #154
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
I liked what I saw.

Move McBain for a defensive pylon, and let Murphy be the new McBain. I like that defense a lot better.
I'd say we have plenty of pylons without adding another...

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:19 AM
  #155
Zombie Mike Murphy
Registered User
 
Zombie Mike Murphy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Really? I think the defense misses Bryan Allen a lot. Remember how good a pairing Gleason-Allen was?

Zombie Mike Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:20 AM
  #156
Stephen Goalbert
Formerly CMP
 
Stephen Goalbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Ward View Post
Really? I think the defense misses Bryan Allen a lot. Remember how good a pairing Gleason-Allen was?
I don't think you have the right understanding of the word "pylon" when it relates to hockey.

Stephen Goalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:44 AM
  #157
OrioleWay
Jailbait
 
OrioleWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 7,013
vCash: 500
I can't believe we let Seidenberg go.

Imagine Pitkanen- Seidenberg, Harrison- Faulk, Gleason- Allen. Instead, we dress up Corvo and McBain every night. That's not legit defense by any means. Harrison is bottom pairing guy, Gleason is not a shutdown premier player, he's #4. Corvo is bottom pairing. Pitkanen is questionable #2/3 type player, Faulk has that bright future but he's not #1 yet.

What's now? Komisarek, R. Whitney, Robidas or O' Byrne? You just couldn't return a lot for Larose, Jokinen, McBain, 2nd and Chris Terry. We badly need that third line center also. We can take some garbage from Flames for literally nothing - Stajan, Stempniak, Glencross, Comeau, Derek Smith or Tim Jackman but that's not upgrade here.


Last edited by OrioleWay: 02-23-2013 at 06:50 AM.
OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:35 PM
  #158
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!
 
Sasha Cares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Island of Misfit Toy
Posts: 9,474
vCash: 500
Uh, I'm a Joni hater as much as anyone over the years, but to call him a 2/3 is down right dumb. He's playing like a true #1 so far. He's a borderline 1/2. Ideally he'd be elite if ever paired with a true stay at home stud on a top line.

One this I agree though, Seids being allowed to leave was a mistake. I think he and Joni would be an elite top pairing right now. Allowing Harrison to stay a 5, Faulk a 3 for now, and Corvo a bathroom attendant.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:32 PM
  #159
Obi Wan LaRosie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,703
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
Anyone have any idea what Murphy is getting paid while he is here?

Obi Wan LaRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:43 PM
  #160
w e l o s t b o y s
Drawing Frog 8
 
w e l o s t b o y s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
Anyone have any idea what Murphy is getting paid while he is here?
Probably not much if you consider the money on the board when he's been up

w e l o s t b o y s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:52 PM
  #161
TheBigKahuna
Registered User
 
TheBigKahuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canes Country
Posts: 2,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetache View Post
Anyone have any idea what Murphy is getting paid while he is here?

His NHL salary is $1.3m, or close to it. Pro-rate that to about $16,000 per game.

TheBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:01 AM
  #162
StormCast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanson View Post
I can't believe we let Seidenberg go.

Imagine Pitkanen- Seidenberg, Harrison- Faulk, Gleason- Allen. Instead, we dress up Corvo and McBain every night. That's not legit defense by any means. Harrison is bottom pairing guy, Gleason is not a shutdown premier player, he's #4. Corvo is bottom pairing. Pitkanen is questionable #2/3 type player, Faulk has that bright future but he's not #1 yet.
Yes, but it doesn't work that way. Every move has a ripple effect across the roster. Also, you're looking at Seidenberg through his play today vs. his play back then, which was uneven. He and his agent were asking for a deal well beyond his market worth and that's why he had to settle for a much smaller contract with Florida right around the time training camp started. Had he been signed to the reported $3.5M x 3 year deal he sought, somebody in the D corps would have been gone.

He's now a solid complementary D but IMO not somebody to wring your hands over. His style suits the Boston scheme much better than his fit would have been here.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 08:13 AM
  #163
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 500
So if Murphy plays against Pittsburgh on Thursday, he can go back to Kitchener and tell everyone that in his games here, he's played against Tavares, Stamkos, Ovechkin and Crosby. Quite a stretch of first games.

Reminds me of a guy that used to run the league I played in years ago. He played defense for Winnipeg for a few games way back. Having beers after one of our games he told me his first NHL game was against Edmonton and his first shift was against Messier, Gretzky, Kurri, Lowe, Coffey. He said Kurri beat him in the corner, fed a pass out front they scored within 10 seconds

I asked what the coach said when he got back to the bench. He said he came over to him and said: "They're tricky ****ers, aren't they?"


Last edited by Boom Boom Anton: 02-27-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 09:47 AM
  #164
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 34,426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Uh, I'm a Joni hater as much as anyone over the years, but to call him a 2/3 is down right dumb. He's playing like a true #1 so far. He's a borderline 1/2. Ideally he'd be elite if ever paired with a true stay at home stud on a top line.
Pitkanen is one of several defenseman who is a #1 by virtue of the size of the league.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
  #165
StormCast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Pitkanen is one of several defenseman who is a #1 by virtue of the size of the league.
Though he'd be considered the Canes' #1 by virtue of his ESTOI, I don't see him as a league-wide #1. To me, he'd have to play more regularly against opponent's top lines and be more of a fixture on the PK to be considered a #1.

I'm not a subscriber obviously to the school of thought that there are 30 #1 Dmen in the league.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:08 AM
  #166
geehaad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 3,002
vCash: 500
Uh oh...we are perilously close to the 10th go-around of the "Joni Pitkanen is/isn't a true #1 defenseman" discussion.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:14 AM
  #167
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post

I'm not a subscriber obviously to the school of thought that there are 30 #1 Dmen in the league.
I'm not either, but unless we're using the ridiculous, main board definition of a #1 d-man (in which case, there are only 5 #1 d men in the League), then Pitkanen gets in.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:21 AM
  #168
StormCast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
I'm not either, but unless we're using the ridiculous, main board definition of a #1 d-man (in which case, there are only 5 #1 d men in the League), then Pitkanen gets in.
I'd think maybe 15 or so are #1's but whatever the number, I wouldn't include Pitkanen. To me, you have to be used consistently in a shutdown capacity.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:27 AM
  #169
Chrispy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
His NHL salary is $1.3m, or close to it. Pro-rate that to about $16,000 per game.
His NHL salary is $925K, or about $11,300 per game. The other $450K are performance bonuses.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:30 AM
  #170
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
I'd think maybe 15 or so are #1's but whatever the number, I wouldn't include Pitkanen. To me, you have to be used consistently in a shutdown capacity.
So the reigning Norris Trophy winner isn't a #1 defenseman then.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:43 AM
  #171
StormCast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
So the reigning Norris Trophy winner isn't a #1 defenseman then.
Setting aside for the moment the greater importance placed on offense these days by Norris voters, he typically was out there against opponent's top lines.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:45 AM
  #172
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Setting aside for the moment the greater importance placed on offense these days by Norris voters, he typically was out there against opponent's top lines.
There are probably 60 defensemen in the league that are "typically out there against the opponent's top lines", are there not?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:54 AM
  #173
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?
 
Finlandia WOAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Raleigh NC
Country: United States
Posts: 9,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
I'd think maybe 15 or so are #1's but whatever the number, I wouldn't include Pitkanen. To me, you have to be used consistently in a shutdown capacity.
Off the top of my head, players I would take over Pitkanen (right now):

Karlsson
Chara
Weber
Suter
Pietrangelo

After that top 5, we have a lot of players in the next tier, including:

Subban
Enstrom
Green
Doughty
Hamhuis
Erhoff
OEL
Letang
Carlson
Pitkanen

And others I'm probably forgetting.

Pitkanen isn't a "shutdown" #1, but he's an offensive minded minutes muncher, such as Bouwmeester or Green. And I'd take Pitkanen over Bouwmeester and Green (current).

I believe a defense built around Pitkanen can succeed in the NHL. The problem is who we have been surrounding him with... Corvo, a 4th/5th guy, a 4th/5th guy with conditioning issues, a 20 year old and an AHL'er?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 11:55 AM
  #174
StormCast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
There are probably 60 defensemen in the league that are "typically out there against the opponent's top lines", are there not?
And? That's clearly only one criteria but I sense you know that. You aren't suggesting a guy like Bryan Allen last year qualifies so why don't we steer clear of cherry picking silly arguments.

Karlsson clearly has an incredible offensive side but has improved significantly with his positioning and play on D. He's not elite without the puck and his size and the style of PK used in Ottawa has him playing less there than other #1's but he is a #1. In fairness though, even with his unmatched offensive game, I'd rank him lower in the list of #1's until he plays a more significant role on the PK.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
  #175
Boom Boom Anton
Registered User
 
Boom Boom Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
And? That's clearly only one criteria but I sense you know that. You aren't suggesting a guy like Bryan Allen last year qualifies so why don't we steer clear of cherry picking silly arguments.

Karlsson clearly has an incredible offensive side but has improved significantly with his positioning and play on D. He's not elite without the puck and his size and the style of PK used in Ottawa has him playing less there than other #1's but he is a #1. In fairness though, even with his unmatched offensive game, I'd rank him lower in the list of #1's until he plays a more significant role on the PK.
I realize I was being a bit of a smart ass, but for a reason. IMO, your statement:

Quote:
To me, you have to be used consistently in a shutdown capacity.
is a pretty limited way to view a #1 Defenseman and would immediately eliminate most of the field. That would limit it to about 5 guys (the Chara's and Weber's of the world). Karlsson is easily a #1 but nobody would say that he is "consistently used in a shutdown capacity". Same goes for many other guys that I'd view as #1s.

Being an effective defenseman has as much to do with generating offense and puck possession as it does being used in a shutdown mode. The Pitkanen debate has been beaten to death so I won't get into that, but I just didn't agree with how you characterize a #1.


Last edited by Boom Boom Anton: 02-27-2013 at 12:12 PM.
Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.