Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All time number 2 Duck

Old
02-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Selanne138

vCash: 500
Do you guys think they would consider retiring 24 for Salei?

The number was taken out of circulation after the crash, and I could see it happening possibly.

Other than that its Teemu and Jiggy for me, only. Neids has a special role here, but it was 5 seasons at the end of his career. That's not worthy of a retirement. If we have a Hall of Fame or something, he shold be honored, especially because he's remained with the organization.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:55 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

I think Jiggy deserves to have his number retired if we are shifting the question to that. Not only did he have a hugely successful career here, but he literally dragged this team to their first Cup finals ever as well as later helping to win their first Cup. In the history of a team there can only be one first for everything. Not to mention he was a class act the whole time he was here and a big plus in the community. He absolutely deserves the honor.

I'd love to see him come back in some capacity after he retires.

Eddie Shack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:05 AM
Ted Brautigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
I think Jiggy deserves to have his number retired if we are shifting the question to that. Not only did he have a hugely successful career here, but he literally dragged this team to their first Cup finals ever as well as later helping to win their first Cup. In the history of a team there can only be one first for everything. Not to mention he was a class act the whole time he was here and a big plus in the community. He absolutely deserves the honor.

I'd love to see him come back in some capacity after he retires.
Yep. And he is all time best goalie. If someone goes up after Teemu, it must be Jiggy. But i'm waiting that Getzlaf brings the second Cup, then he goes up

Ted Brautigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:26 AM
AngelDuck

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Getzlaf is a lock if he wins another cup for us. He's already the best center in franchise history. Just needs to play here 5-10 more years, hopefully win another cup, and score a lot of points

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:27 AM
Gibson Les Palms

vCash: 814
Agree with AD. It's really hard for me to choose between Jiggy and Kariya. Maybe slightly towards Jiggy.

Gibson Les Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:55 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepjepjoo View Post
What records does Kariya own? The only one I can think of is short handed goals(16)
Amount of shots and short handed goals. And in most other categories he is second. (except for penalty minutes and points by defenseman)

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:50 AM
JabbaJabba

Wow this is a hard one. Teemu is the clear number one of course but there are few players who could be number 2. The players I think about are Kariya, Giguere and Niedermayer. Kariya was a star player and the first pick, but his departure angered many. Niedermayer joined the Ducks to play with his brother and now after retiring, he's still connected with the team. He was the captain. However, I have to go with Giguere, he played for the Ducks so long and was there when they lost to the Devils and also when they won the cup. He's been with the team with it's ups and downs, while Kariya was only during the bad times and Niedermayer during the good times (mostly).

So Giguere is my pick.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Jiggy almost won us a cup and then DID win us a cup, and he was instrumental in getting us to 3 western conference championships. Giguere without even a second thought.

Are you predicting the future? Hiller for Giguere, after we signed Fasth

Kalvinators is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Nikko*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post

Are you predicting the future? Hiller for Giguere, after we signed Fasth
He must have meant three Western Conference finals.

Nikko* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:33 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko View Post
He must have meant three Western Conference finals.
Right. My bad. Felt it more impressive than saying 2 SCF appearances. Because he did get us that far (WCF) 3 times.

Kariya helped get us to one SCF appearance. Jiggy did much more than that.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Right. My bad. Felt it more impressive than saying 2 SCF appearances. Because he did get us that far (WCF) 3 times.

Kariya helped get us to one SCF appearance. Jiggy did much more than that.
Except Jiggy only got us to two anyway, so two SCF appearances would sound much better than two WCF appearances.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Pepper

Who's this Kariya -person people keep talking about? I can't remember ever seeing him in Ducks.

No.2 should be Giggy. No.3 Nieds.

Did someone actually say Sykora?? Dear god.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 05:29 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

Never mind. Brainfart. Whatever. Jiggy took us to two SCF's. Kariya took us to one and wasn't even the best guy on the team in that series.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:01 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Kariya didn't take us to the Cup Finals. Giguere did. Even in the most generous terms I can't give Kariya much credit for Anaheim going as far as they did that year. That was really all Giguere, with a shout out to some really committed players in the D zone.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:55 AM
GermanRocket7
The gunslinger

Giguere, obviously. But I do agree that some time in the near future, probably even the same night Teemu's number will be hanging up in the rafters, Ruslan Salei's #24 should be hanging up there, too. He was with us for what, a decade? He may not have been the most skillful defenseman we ever had, but that man worked his ass off night in and night out for this franchise. Plus, iirc, he married a woman from the OC area, so he definitely grew some ties to the community as well.

#8, then #35 and #24. Other than that, I'm sorry for Scotty, because I absolutely loved him both as a player and as a human being, but he just wasn't here long enough to justify his number being retired.

GermanRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 07:51 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

I think Salei should get honored in some way somewhere in the Honda Center (maybe a memorial), but...number hanging from the rafters? I don't know about that.