Isn't Coyle essentially Stewart?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:55 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
I'd be all over Smid if I'm GMCF. He seems to be what Scandella has yet to become. I also think Chris Stewart is a nice fit like I've mentioned before and I could see a deal centered on Stewart for Scandella+ although not sure what the + is. Maybe PMB?
Why don't we just be patient?

Old
02-21-2013, 12:55 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
Isn't Coyle essentially Stewart?
They are both powerfowards but Coyle is more finesse and skill while Stewart provides more grit and toughness. I think Stewart would be nice to have this year while Coyle develops and could help replace heatley after this season. He could slot in on lines 1-3 pretty easily and definitely gives us more size in the top 6 and toughness.

Old
02-21-2013, 12:58 PM
El Nino22

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Why don't we just be patient?
There is a lot of assessing that needs to be done on this team and whether its popular or not that means some players have to go if we don't think they are a fit here. The sooner those decisions are made the sooner the right guys can play together and get their ice time. Also this is a trade ideas thread, I'm just throwing out ideas man.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:04 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetCluttered View Post
There is a lot of assessing that needs to be done on this team and whether its popular or not that means some players have to go if we don't think they are a fit here. The sooner those decisions are made the sooner the right guys can play together and get their ice time. Also this is a trade ideas thread, I'm just throwing out ideas man.
If Scandella is going to become Smid, why would we give away assets instead of seeing if Scandella can just become what we want him to be for free?

And why do we need to spend assets on a power forward like Stewart, when Coyle is knocking at the door for the NHL? Maybe they play a slightly different game, but we don't need both of them.

If you want to panic and throw away assets, at least do it on something we need.

Old
02-21-2013, 01:12 PM
El Nino22

Panic? Who is panicking? Haha

And I said what Scandella has yet to become meaning he isn't there and there isn't a guarentee he gets there. And if you actually read my post you would see I clearly acknowledged Coyle being A similar player and replacing heatley after this season.

In addition to that none of these potential moves are imminent or in any way real. It's just ideas that is all. No need to get worked up over it.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If we got Stewart, we'd upgrade the size and skill of our top nine. We're pretty small outside Koivu and eventually Coyle.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Stewart is the definition of underachiever. Had one sweet season, the rest have been duds leaving you wanting more. He is very capable of being a perennial 35 goal guy with a gritty, physical game. But for whatever reason he just doesn't seem motivated to do so.

Would sign him as a UFA to lower the risk, but wouldn't want to give up what we'd have to in order to nab him. But by the time his UFA period comes around, everyone will know what he's capable of. Eh. Pass.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:15 PM
SphinX
#Whytake7whenyouget3

Setoguchi + Scanny + 3rd

For

Bobby Ryan

do it....

Old
02-21-2013, 03:17 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Stewart is the definition of underachiever. Had one sweet season, the rest have been duds leaving you wanting more. He is very capable of being a perennial 35 goal guy with a gritty, physical game. But for whatever reason he just doesn't seem motivated to do so.

Would sign him as a UFA to lower the risk, but wouldn't want to give up what we'd have to in order to nab him. But by the time his UFA period comes around, everyone will know what he's capable of. Eh. Pass.
I agree. I'm not opposed to acquiring him, but I am opposed to giving up assets for him.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:25 PM
DANOZ28

change that 3rd to a 1st and the ducks may go for it.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:29 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:

I watched the Blues vs Avs game and I was really impressed with his game. The announcers couldn't stop raving about him. He dropped 15-20 lbs this offseason in an effort to get back to the level of two years ago and it really shows. He is a great complimentary player with his size, speed, and skill he could be a great asset for the wild. I do believe the Blues will have a tough time signing him with Berglund, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, and Cole all RFA this year too. They do have quite a bit a space (20 mill) though so who knows they could make it happen.

I wouldn't be opposed to picking him up now, but his value is rising and fast so I don't think this is the best time to make a move for him. Wait until summer and see what kind of deal he is looking for if the Blues want to let him go.

Last edited by Randy BoBandy: 02-21-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 03:49 PM
nickschultzfan

Stewart would be as disappointing as Setoguchi.

Bobby Ryan would be great, but the price tag would be Coyle+, so that's a no go.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Stewart would be as disappointing as Setoguchi.

Bobby Ryan would be great, but the price tag would be Coyle+, so that's a no go.
If it means getting Bobby Ryan here I trade Coyle in a heartbeat. Proven 30+ goal scorer vs prospect with potential to be a 30 goal scorer, but would likely end up a 20-25 goal scorer.

Coyle
Bouchard
Scandella
1st 2013

for

Ryan

And even that probably isn't enough, especially considering the Ducks have no reason to move him right now.

Old
02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
If it means getting Bobby Ryan here I trade Coyle in a heartbeat. Proven 30+ goal scorer vs prospect with potential to be a 30 goal scorer, but would likely end up a 20-25 goal scorer.

Coyle
Bouchard
Scandella
1st 2013

for

Ryan

And even that probably isn't enough, especially considering the Ducks have no reason to move him right now.
You act like it's a sure thing that Ryan's going to come here and score 30. Remember who he's played with. A big gritty goal scoring winger in Perry, one of the best playmakers of the last decade in Getzlaf, and a top 20 player all time in Selanne.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Stewart in my mind is a third liner who had an excellent season. Still I think I'd take him over pretty much anyone in our bottom six.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:27 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
You act like it's a sure thing that Ryan's going to come here and score 30. Remember who he's played with. A big gritty goal scoring winger in Perry, one of the best playmakers of the last decade in Getzlaf, and a top 20 player all time in Selanne.
That's true. He'd probably score 20 on this team.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:13 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Stewart is the definition of underachiever. Had one sweet season, the rest have been duds leaving you wanting more.
Sounds like a certain guy wearing #10 for us right now

Old
02-23-2013, 06:09 AM
TZM
Par too easy

I didn't think I'd say this but I'm seriously considering about if they should trade PMB. I'd give him 8-10 games and if he still can't prove otherwise, trade him.

What do you think about the issue with Cullen. The NTC is problematic but if he starts his hot stint of the season, should they try get a good value from him by trading. Whaddayathink?

Last edited by TZM: 02-23-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old
02-23-2013, 07:08 AM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
I didn't think I'd say this but I'm seriously considering about if they should trade PMB. I'd give him 8-10 games and if he still can't prove otherwise, trade him.

What do you think about the issue with Cullen. The NTC is problematic but if he starts his hot stint of the season, should they try get a good value from him by trading. Whaddayathink?
PMB is like Cullen. They have absolutely no future with the Wild beyond this season. Find a team that is a Cup contender AND who their agent/they feel like the can re-sign with next year, and I bet the NTC would be waived.

BUT, the other team has to be in a win-now mode, and an under-achieving, dollar matching asset has to come back to the Wild. Kind of the change of scenery my do both sides/players some good, thinking.

Besides a "prospect," Cal C should be added to the mix if you are looking for an upgrade. If any of these prospects pan-out, he could end-up being a 4th liner long-term for the Wild. Solid 3rd liner right now, but some around the league may view him as a marginal 2nd liner, or may fill a need as it relates to energy/whatever.

I would toss Zack Phillips into the mix as well. Only a pro for half a season, so other GMs around the league may view him as being in the wrong organization. The NHL seems to have a history of holding-out for a long, long time, waiting for the #1s to perform.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:37 AM
LordFletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post

Coyle
Bouchard
Scandella
1st 2013

for

Ryan

I personally wouldn't trade Coyle for B.Ryan at this point, especially if they want our 2013 1st round pick. No go for me.

I don't trust Ryan scoring on the Wild like he has in ANA. If I was all in on getting someone that can score and create his own goals, I would go get the (pain in the butt) Evander Kane... I don't think his value is sky high because of his personality and it's been well documented over the last two years and Kane could score with the Wild easier than B. Ryan in my eyes..... until I see the Wild have another 35 goal scorer, I will just assume Minnesota is the place forwards go to die

What would it take to get Kane ???? I would easily assume the 2013 1st round pick I don't want to give up would be gone along with someone like Larsson / Hackett ??? not sure. PMB has to go in the deal for the cap

or go after Matt Moulson

Old
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEALLKNOWING View Post
PMB is like Cullen. They have absolutely no future with the Wild beyond this season. Find a team that is a Cup contender AND who their agent/they feel like the can re-sign with next year, and I bet the NTC would be waived.

BUT, the other team has to be in a win-now mode, and an under-achieving, dollar matching asset has to come back to the Wild. Kind of the change of scenery my do both sides/players some good, thinking.

Besides a "prospect," Cal C should be added to the mix if you are looking for an upgrade. If any of these prospects pan-out, he could end-up being a 4th liner long-term for the Wild. Solid 3rd liner right now, but some around the league may view him as a marginal 2nd liner, or may fill a need as it relates to energy/whatever.

I would toss Zack Phillips into the mix as well. Only a pro for half a season, so other GMs around the league may view him as being in the wrong organization. The NHL seems to have a history of holding-out for a long, long time, waiting for the #1s to perform.
You and I have very different perspectives much of the time, but I completely agree with everything you say here.

The only thing I will ad is I hope we trade primarily for strong prospects with good upside, draft picks, or maybe 1 proven top 6 RH (just for Yeo) winger. We really don't need more established NHL players. We have too much quantity, need better quality in a couple areas.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:41 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

10 scouts were scouting the Pens - Panthers game yesterday night. Given tht the Pens and Wild have been scouting each other recently, any news from your end if there were any Wild scouts?

Niskanen had a really good game yesterday and if they were present & are interested as some anticipate, would only fuel their interest in him.

I see Cullen and Seto being prime targets by the Pens. Just a hunch, of course but would take more than just Nisky to get it done.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
10 scouts were scouting the Pens - Panthers game yesterday night. Given tht the Pens and Wild have been scouting each other recently, any news from your end if there were any Wild scouts?

Niskanen had a really good game yesterday and if they were present & are interested as some anticipate, would only fuel their interest in him.

I see Cullen and Seto being prime targets by the Pens. Just a hunch, of course but would take more than just Nisky to get it done.
I don't read too deeply into the whole "scouts from other teams at games" thing. In fact, I don't read into it at all as there's always team scouts at games. The way the Wild are playing lately I don't see them making any moves other than continuing to call up and send down a couple rookies as needed based on player performance and injuries.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:19 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post

Something does seem like it is about to happen.

I would be surprised if the Pens parted with Niskanen, given the depth issues on d. Personally, I would not want the Wild to pick up Niskanen either. He's a good player, but I would rather us target Despres, Morrow, or Maatta. From a Wild perspective, I believe those would be the three that would have the greatest appeal, but we shall see.

The players on the Wild that I could see Shero being interested in would be: Cullen (he plays a decent wing, is fast, and good on faceoffs), Seto (OCPenguin is a crackhead), Clutterbuck, possibly Phillips, Bouchard, and maybe Scandella (if you needed a d prospect going back to help balance it out).

How these players are all valued, it is really hard to tell. GM's rarely see things the way hockey fans do. Problem is, we think we're right, and they know they are.

Closed Thread