HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks Goaltending

Old
02-20-2013, 03:05 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
The defense has been good, no doubt, but it's not even so much that. It's the puck possesion game just like it was in the Cup year. Players going all out to get and maintain control and nobody can catch them. There is only so much time on the clock. The other team needs to really be on point to outscore the Hawks. They already start behind the eight ball before puck drop knowing damn near for a fact they will be outpossessed and outshot.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:16 PM
InTOEWSweTrust
Free Morin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The defense has been good, no doubt, but it's not even so much that. It's the puck possesion game just like it was in the Cup year. Players going all out to get and maintain control and nobody can catch them. There is only so much time on the clock. The other team needs to really be on point to outscore the Hawks. They already start behind the eight ball before puck drop knowing damn near for a fact they will be outpossessed and outshot.
they arent looking for the stretch pass anymore, the FW are being responsible and they are moving up and down the Ice like a unit.... Btw im buying a Saad Jersey hes going to be a stud.

InTOEWSweTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:17 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Good call on the Saad jersey, wish he kept #43 though.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 04:29 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Crawford this season...
Please, he has let in a few goals through screens like that.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
No question of that. When they get flowing in the ops end, I do a double take to see if they are on the PP.... Schneider played well - still need to finish better however.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:21 PM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

This might be the first year I'm actually a bit scared of the Luongo/Schneider tandem, Luongo seems to have a real chip on his shoulder and Schneider is always solid.

deytookerjaabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:22 PM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

The Canucks are a team I wouldn't want to meet in the playoffs. Make all the jokes you want about them, but we always play close games against them now, and that's not what we want. There are so many teams worse than them that we play better against. Why would you want to play one of the teams that we have trouble consistently beating when we could get an easier opponent in the playoffs.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Hawksfly2gether

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
These threads are an absolute joke. 15 games in hockey is nothing. The sample is far, far too small. Who knows whether Emery & Crawford are improved...whether the defense is improved. We would all like to think we know but most of this is may just be random variation and luck.
1 or 2 games or a playoff series is too small of a sample to have any relevance. 15 games is pretty much a third of our season, making it a bit more statistically relevant than you suggest. Should we be lulled into a false sense of security by our hot start? absolutely not, but the statistics definitely have enough relevant data to show that our team, defense, and goaltending have improved. Not to mention close to 90% of our games have been against teams above a .500 win % Again i'm not saying the wheels can't come off as almost every team sees this happen at least once a season to some degree, but to say that not losing in regulation against the teams we've played is some how resulting from random variation and luck is probably the most ludicrous opinion i've ever heard on these boards... ok maybe not the most but its up there. I can see the argument for a couple of games resulting from luck and "random variation" but not 19 games..

Hawksfly2gether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
sketch22

vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Why would you want to play one of the teams that we have trouble consistently beating when we could get an easier opponent in the playoffs.
Because the Hawks have lolly gagged their way into having back to back exits. Getting a tough opponent who the players are emotionally invested in beating is more likely to keep them hustling than a cupcake team that they try and glide thru like they did last year.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

What the deal with Crawford? Any updates on his condition?

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 01:43 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
I thought I saw somewhere that he was skating so I'd imagine he can't be that far off, but with concussions you never know.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

he was on the ice the last time they had practice. Yesterday was a day off without practice

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:02 AM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Guessing Craw-daddy tomorrow and Emery Monday. Sound right?

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIP View Post
Guessing Craw-daddy tomorrow and Emery Monday. Sound right?
The other way around, let Emery keep the streak going.

As for the goaltending this year, I think it's a bit of everything. Yes the defense has looked much better, Hammer and Keith have been amazing this year and the rest are playing nicely, the PK is MUCH better, no longer standing around letting teams dictate play but forcing the matter, I think both goalies look more solid and confident. Knew Waite worked with Craw in the off-season maybe he worked with both and found something for each of them. Their games look sharper and they both look much more mentally tough then last year.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:15 AM
crazyhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
The Canucks are a team I wouldn't want to meet in the playoffs. Make all the jokes you want about them, but we always play close games against them now, and that's not what we want. There are so many teams worse than them that we play better against. Why would you want to play one of the teams that we have trouble consistently beating when we could get an easier opponent in the playoffs.
No doubt we have trouble against the Canucks, but we are ahead 2-1 in playoff action with them in the modern era.
If we continue to play as we are then we will be bound to meet the Canucks or the Ducks somewhere in the first 3 rounds. Canucks will most likely finish 3rd in the conference and if we keep this up we finish 1st so it would most likely be round 2 or 3 that we meet up with them again ... oh boy!

crazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhawk View Post
No doubt we have trouble against the Canucks, but we are ahead 2-1 in playoff action with them in the modern era.
If we continue to play as we are then we will be bound to meet the Canucks or the Ducks somewhere in the first 3 rounds. Canucks will most likely finish 3rd in the conference and if we keep this up we finish 1st so it would most likely be round 2 or 3 that we meet up with them again ... oh boy!
I still would not like to play the Canucks. Hopefully someone else beats them for us. I'm afraid if we played them we would lose 2-3 of our players to reckless injuries from the Canucks. Then who knows if we beat them, and if we do, how much farther we go without them. It's not that I think we can't beat them, it's that if we do beat them, how many players do we lose.

TorMenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:27 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
The other way around, let Emery keep the streak going.

As for the goaltending this year, I think it's a bit of everything. Yes the defense has looked much better, Hammer and Keith have been amazing this year and the rest are playing nicely, the PK is MUCH better, no longer standing around letting teams dictate play but forcing the matter, I think both goalies look more solid and confident. Knew Waite worked with Craw in the off-season maybe he worked with both and found something for each of them. Their games look sharper and they both look much more mentally tough then last year.
Mental toughness is something a goaltender has or doesn't. Most goalies in the NHL get there because they're mentally tough. I don't think either Crawford or Emery lacked mental toughness last year, but when your team's playing like chickens with their head's cutoff for most of the season, it definitely weighs on you as a goaltender. You can't trust your team, so you over-compensate by trying to do too much and it blows up in your face.

The way the team's playing this year, Crawford/Emery an sit back more; be more patient and let the game come to them. They're given an oppurtunity to be more relaxed because they don't have to worry about open guys getting lost in coverage; all they have to do is worry about the guy who has the puck and be ready for the next shot.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:43 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Even before the Hawks blew up their roster, they always split against Vancouver in the regular season.

08-09 - 4-2W, 3-1W, 3-7L, 0-4L; 4-2 WCSF round win
09-10 - 2-3L, 1-0W, 1-5L, 6-3W; 4-2 WCSF round win
10-11 - 2-1W, 7-1W, 0-3L, 3-4L; 3-4 WCQF round loss
11-12 - 2-6L, 5-1W, 2-3L, 2-1W; Did not meet
12-13 - 1-2L, 4-3W, ???; ???

Chicago's never consistently beat Vancouver.. but even in the year they lost to them in the WSQF, Chicago could have easily won that series had they had Bolland for the first 3 games or had they scored on that PP in OT of game 7. Even though Vancouver beat Chicago that year, I don't think you can say Chicago no longer has they're playoff number considering how they came back in that series.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:05 PM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

^Also, didn't the Canucks management and coaching staff complain before the series even started, lobbying the reffing and league to call stuff against the Hawks. Press conferences by the GM or owner, if I'm not mistaken.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:23 PM
KirbyDots

Emery looked good in the Sharks game. Is there any chance of him becoming this seasons Elliot and splitting starts?

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:27 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
Emery looked good in the Sharks game. Is there any chance of him becoming this seasons Elliot and splitting starts?
I hope not. I like Emery, and I've been one of his constant supporters.. but Crawford was playing very well before getting knocked out and he's the starter, he should start most of the games. Emery's come in a played well, which is great, but that's what's expected from him when he gets in the net - to play well.

Hopefully Crawford comes back in and doesn't miss a beat and we can get back to 70% Crawford starts, 30% Emery starts.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Sarava

Quote:
I would hope so, but I doubt it. I have more faith in him than Crawford.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:14 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Tough decision for Q. Im sure he has no problem with either and Im sure he has no problem with riding the hot hand if the other falters, especially around playoff time.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:38 AM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Quote:
First, keep in mind I HATE the 49ers (being a life long Ram fan) but:

Does Craw = Alex Smith? 100+ QBR only to lose his job to Emery (aka Kaepernick) after an injury?

I am so up in the air on this one, I HATED Emery coming in to this season and Craw scared me to death in big games. Now, though both have played very well and Craw's stats are off the board, the one difference I see is Emery is better stopping screened shots than CC.

It amazes me how well RE sees through traffic where as CC seems to become "small" in the net where ANY even subtle deflection goes in.

Hey I'm good either way, just throwing in my .02.

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:51 AM
BobbyJet

Both goalies have done the job (so far this year) but I'm not convinced that we have good enough goaltending to win the Cup. Crawford does not have the athleticism and I still doubt Q will give Emery the net in the playoffs no matter what occurs this season. Stan needs to keep the option open to bring in a 3rd goalie at the TD. Bernier? He could turn out as the long term solution here.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote