HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2 NYR trades that would really help

Old
02-22-2013, 11:23 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

vCash: 500
RoR is a fantastic player, he would fit nicely in the Rangers organization, but trading DZ for him is a little too rich for my blood.
Last season there were 100 50+ point forwards in the league, but there were only 19 40+ scoring Dmen.
They are both young and will improve, but DZ has the rarer skillset.
DZ is also need for the Rangers. He is banged up currently and our back up is, gulp ... Eminger.
Plus there is the contract situation to worry about.

As to the other half of the trade, it is very tough to trade a 40 goal scorer. I don't see the Rangers doing it even for Clowe, Boyle and a first.
2 years ago many Rangers fans would have jumped at the chance, Sather may have been tempted too. At this point, I don't see how the Rangers can survive without Gabby's goal production.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 07:38 AM
cwgatti

As for the NYR PP, the problem isn't personnel, it is COACHING!!! There are plenty of great players on the PP. They just have no solid strategy. They need a 3rd coach who is a special teams guru.

Nash, Richards, and Gabborik would make Jeff Beukebbom a Norris candidate if the PP was coached properly.

cwgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:25 AM
roboninja
EYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgatti View Post
As for the NYR PP, the problem isn't personnel, it is COACHING!!! There are plenty of great players on the PP. They just have no solid strategy. They need a 3rd coach who is a special teams guru.

Nash, Richards, and Gabborik would make Jeff Beukebbom a Norris candidate if the PP was coached properly.
I have seen the PP coach mentioned twice now in this thread, but never with a name attached. Who is this coach?

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:45 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Can someone please explain to me this prevailing concept of Richards being our "problem"? I don't know what is worse, the Rangers fans trying to shop him everywhere or the fans who seem to think he is Scott Gomez.
Well, from a Sharks perspective:

- He's 32 (will be 33 in a few months), signed until he is 40, on a contract that has a nearly $7 mil per year cap hit. Doug Wilson stated MANY times that he does not like long-term, cap-circumventing contracts like Richards.
- Where does he play in San Jose? He's not pushing Thornton off the top line. And there is no need to acquire a $7 million center when the Sharks already have JT, Marleau, Couture, and Pavelski as natural centers in the Top-6. Marleau and Pavs are playing out of position, but if they want a $7 mil center, then can just move Marleau back to the middle.
- The cap is dropping significantly next year and may not rise much the year after, which will be the Ranger's crunch year. Lundquist, Callahan, Gaborik, Krieder, MDZ, and Girardi will all need to be re-signed. Unless they let Gaborik go (possible), Richards contract represents a possible "problem" in that situation.

So from a Sharks perspective, he's a "problem" that we would rather not have. Rangers fans may see him in an entirely different light.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:47 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
Why would we give up a valuable asset in Boyle for a deteriorating asset in Richards only to buy him out? He's your problem, don't try to push this on us.
No one is looking to swindle here.
Richards contract is not long term desirable.

Richards + Boyle this season + next = cap wash, approx.

If you read carefully, I asked what you would want for that service.
It may be an unreasonable fee we don't want to pay, or it might be something we can live with.

Just askin.

Obviously, if you anticipate you will need/use both your compliance buy outs, that would make this strategy option a non-starter.

But clearly, it was not a 1 for 1 straight up.

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay from jersey View Post
hey guys. I am a kings fan that moved to nj. I watch A lot of rangers and devils games because i am a hockey fan above all else and have grown to like them both.

first trade to NYR dan boyle ryan clowe and 1st rd pick

TO SJ marian gaborik steve eminger

Reason: rangers get offense from the back end to help their fowards and their dreadful PP. plus another big body in clowe to stand in front of the net.

NYR get ryan oreilly

Col gets sj 1st rounder and mike del zotto

Reason rangers get o reilly who wants out. Gives Nyr depth and a little offense to replace gabs. He plays their blue collar system better anyway. in the future if stephan and oreilly tear it up, it allows them to move richards for a high end puck mover when boyle is ready to retire. Col gets a really good young d man to pair with ej plus the pick for a player that doesn't want to be their anymore.

go easy on me. Flame away!!!
Even if the respective teams accept, from a Rangers perspective it is:

Ryan O'Reilly, Ryan Clowe, and Dan Boyle for Gaborik, Del Zotto, and Eminger.

Considering that both Clowe and Boyle are UFAs after this year (I believe), I don't think the Rangers do this.

They get Boyle for Del Zotto, whose probably an immediate upgrade not by much though, but Del Zotto is the long term better option. O'Reilly gives them a good center, but where does he play with Richards and Stepan? Same situation Colorado ran into with Stastny and Duchene.

Similarly, Clowe fits like a glove in Tortorella's system, but he's a UFA. Rangers get good value and arguably a good deal in terms of players they get, but it doesn't make it worth it for them.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:26 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
I have seen the PP coach mentioned twice now in this thread, but never with a name attached. Who is this coach?
Mike Sullivan, who is AWFUL as a PP coach. As a head coach, not bad, but I wouldn't want him ANYWHERE near a team's power play.

The problem is him and Tortarella go way back to when Torts was an assistant in Phoenix under THEN Head Coach Jim Schoenfeld, who is now the Rangers Assistant GM and head of development in Hartford.

Sullivan most likely isn't going to go anywhere until Tortarella does and I think it's time for Tortarella to go as well as the team has just stopped responding to his incessant yelling and lack of reform when things don't go as he plans.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote