HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Islanders place DiPietro on Waivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2013, 09:20 AM
  #251
Zonk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Anyone who says this kid was not going to be a great goalie is nuts. Injuries cost him a stellar career. I hate him and the Islanders but he was very good and good for the game before he pulled up lame
Please do not disrupt this thread with facts.

Most posters do not seem to remember that when DiPietro signed his contract no one said that it was too high a salary for the way that he was playing. In fact, the consensus was that the Islanders were getting him for less than FMV because of the length of the contract.

The nay-sayers were saying that the contract was risky because of the length. Turns out the nay-sayers were right.

Zonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:26 AM
  #252
Christ
Registered User
 
Christ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
I feel bad for DiPietro. He's this burden for Islanders taking huge paycheck. It wasn't his fault someone offered him ridicolous long contract.
Not sure why you would feel bad for him. He is set for life. He would never have earned what he is due to make over his entire NHL career had the Isles leadership not offered him such a crazy contract. The injuries he has sustained still would have occurred without the contract and I expect he would have been out of the NHL by now because of them if he were not making the money that he is.

The thing I will never understand is why the Isles offered such a contract to him in the first place? I mean were they not burned enough by the Yashin deal to know that something like this could happen to them?

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:41 AM
  #253
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Not sure why you would feel bad for him. He is set for life. He would never have earned what he is due to make over his entire NHL career had the Isles leadership not offered him such a crazy contract. The injuries he has sustained still would have occurred without the contract and I expect he would have been out of the NHL by now because of them if he were not making the money that he is.

The thing I will never understand is why the Isles offered such a contract to him in the first place? I mean were they not burned enough by the Yashin deal to know that something like this could happen to them?
It was a gamble for a semi-elite goalie who was just coming into his prime. People forget that he's still only 31. If he hadn't been struck by a ridiculous streak of injuries, he would be in his prime right now, and likely would be one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL, and signed for only a $4.5M cap hit. Had things gone as they seemed likely, the Isles had signed a 25 year old goalie for 15 years, which would include 10 years of prime goaltending, then maybe a little overpayment, or a buyout at the end.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
  #254
Dellstrom
The new age
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,470
vCash: 50
Wouldn't be surprised if a team picked him up if he is bought out, like Redden and Gomez.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:12 AM
  #255
patrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
It was a gamble for a semi-elite goalie who was just coming into his prime. People forget that he's still only 31. If he hadn't been struck by a ridiculous streak of injuries, he would be in his prime right now, and likely would be one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL, and signed for only a $4.5M cap hit. Had things gone as they seemed likely, the Isles had signed a 25 year old goalie for 15 years, which would include 10 years of prime goaltending, then maybe a little overpayment, or a buyout at the end.
People forget he was never semi-elite. He was, at his very best, in the upper level of the middle tier of NHL goaltenders. Poor fundamentals, good reflexes and a turnover machine with his poor decisions handling the puck. Even if the injuries had not occurred he was never going to be an elite goaltender.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:16 AM
  #256
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
The contract, at the time, was very cap friendly. They were locking up their #1 goalie, the face of the franchise, at what was then the going rate for a real #1 goalie. The expectation was that as the years went on, and salaries in general increased, the salary and cap hit for their goalie would be below average. Without the injuries, right now they would have a 31 year old goalie in his prime, with a salary outside the top 10 goalies. Also, when they signed that contract, they expected to be in a new arena by now. That would have meant more cash flow for increased payroll, with their goalie taking a smaller percentage of the cap every year as the cap increased. Sad fact is they didn't count on repeated non-career-ending injuries, or their arena plans being denied.

I will give a contrary opinion of DP pre-injury. As an Islanders season subscriber, I watched pretty much every game of his career. I always thought he was overrated. His egotistic need to handle the puck landed him in trouble more than it helped his team. There was a hold-your-breath moment at least once a game as he lost the puck. He also rarely made that "wow" save that truly elite goalies seem to come up with all the time. At his best, he was one of the better goalies in the league, but not a great one. In fact, he was clearly the fourth best goalie in NY/NJ, behind Brodeur, Lundquist, and Ryan Miller. His status as an Olympian had more to do with lack of other great US goalies.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:23 AM
  #257
bigd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 4,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
It was a gamble for a semi-elite goalie who was just coming into his prime. People forget that he's still only 31. If he hadn't been struck by a ridiculous streak of injuries, he would be in his prime right now, and likely would be one of the top 5 goalies in the NHL, and signed for only a $4.5M cap hit. Had things gone as they seemed likely, the Isles had signed a 25 year old goalie for 15 years, which would include 10 years of prime goaltending, then maybe a little overpayment, or a buyout at the end.
The thing I will never understand is they drafted him #1 and they already had a #1 goalie. No one ever drafts a goalie at #1 esp when you have a #1 goalie in net already. Milbury was a complete idiot. But that's a whole other painful discussion.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:25 AM
  #258
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
He's in what, year 5-6 of his 15yr deal?

This is actually the best thing for him I think, he was once a very good goaltender and I remember that. If he can get back into a groove in the AHL and really, he should spend the entire year there, he could bounce back next year. The bad part is that he's actually healthy now and probably needed time in the AHL during the lockout, but went to Germany instead and faced lesser competition.

Kind of sad to see the guy's career go this way. He's only played 3 games, he probably should have been given a few more starts, even goaltenders that don't deserve starts around the league, get more than that. I guess if he gets bought out next, he has the chance to sign for dirt cheap (since he's still getting paid by the Isles) and resurrect his career elsewhere.

And he's actually 31, turns 32 a month before the season starts (1981 born).
Health is relative. Rick is probably not nearly as healthy as other NHL goalies.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:30 AM
  #259
eastonhockey22*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
The contract, at the time, was very cap friendly. They were locking up their #1 goalie, the face of the franchise, at what was then the going rate for a real #1 goalie. The expectation was that as the years went on, and salaries in general increased, the salary and cap hit for their goalie would be below average. Without the injuries, right now they would have a 31 year old goalie in his prime, with a salary outside the top 10 goalies. Also, when they signed that contract, they expected to be in a new arena by now. That would have meant more cash flow for increased payroll, with their goalie taking a smaller percentage of the cap every year as the cap increased. Sad fact is they didn't count on repeated non-career-ending injuries, or their arena plans being denied.

I will give a contrary opinion of DP pre-injury. As an Islanders season subscriber, I watched pretty much every game of his career. I always thought he was overrated. His egotistic need to handle the puck landed him in trouble more than it helped his team. There was a hold-your-breath moment at least once a game as he lost the puck. He also rarely made that "wow" save that truly elite goalies seem to come up with all the time. At his best, he was one of the better goalies in the league, but not a great one. In fact, he was clearly the fourth best goalie in NY/NJ, behind Brodeur, Lundquist, and Ryan Miller. His status as an Olympian had more to do with lack of other great US goalies.
So he was CLEARLY the fourth best goaltender in NY? And He only made it to the olympics because of his nationality?
Where's Ryan Miller from again?

eastonhockey22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
  #260
patrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 190
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
The contract, at the time, was very cap friendly. They were locking up their #1 goalie, the face of the franchise, at what was then the going rate for a real #1 goalie. The expectation was that as the years went on, and salaries in general increased, the salary and cap hit for their goalie would be below average. Without the injuries, right now they would have a 31 year old goalie in his prime, with a salary outside the top 10 goalies. Also, when they signed that contract, they expected to be in a new arena by now. That would have meant more cash flow for increased payroll, with their goalie taking a smaller percentage of the cap every year as the cap increased. Sad fact is they didn't count on repeated non-career-ending injuries, or their arena plans being denied.

I will give a contrary opinion of DP pre-injury. As an Islanders season subscriber, I watched pretty much every game of his career. I always thought he was overrated. His egotistic need to handle the puck landed him in trouble more than it helped his team. There was a hold-your-breath moment at least once a game as he lost the puck. He also rarely made that "wow" save that truly elite goalies seem to come up with all the time. At his best, he was one of the better goalies in the league, but not a great one. In fact, he was clearly the fourth best goalie in NY/NJ, behind Brodeur, Lundquist, and Ryan Miller. His status as an Olympian had more to do with lack of other great US goalies.
Great post. Hit the nail on the head.

patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:06 PM
  #261
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
In fact, he was clearly the fourth best goalie in NY/NJ, behind Brodeur, Lundquist, and Ryan Miller. His status as an Olympian had more to do with lack of other great US goalies.
This is nonsense. Two of those three (Lundqvist and Miller) were only in their second full seasons in the NHL at the time Rick signed that contract. Brodeur was likely the best goaltender in the world, and still in his prime.

Then you look at their respective numbers in 06-07.... and you will see they were all pretty close, performance wise.

Today:
Lundqvist: $6.875M
Miller: $6.25M
Brodeur: $5M (at the tail end of career)

We can use hindsight and say it wa a bad contract (and it was), but in reality, those injuries could have happened to any one of these guys making them as useless as Ricky is right now. On the other hand, had one of these guys gotten the same contract Rick got, it would be looking like a steal, wouldn't it?

It's all about perspective.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:07 PM
  #262
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Can someone explain to me why no teams claimed him?

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:08 PM
  #263
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Can someone explain to me why no teams claimed him?
Because he will be on IR the entire time.

WingedWheel1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:12 PM
  #264
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,547
vCash: 500
No teams would have claimed him if he were making $5 and signed only through this season. He's way past being an effective netminder anymore. The injuries have completely sapped him of any abilities he once had.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:12 PM
  #265
seafoam
Registered User
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,104
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Can someone explain to me why no teams claimed him?
9 years left at 4.5M per for a guy who can't stay healthy and perform at an NHL level anymore.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:13 PM
  #266
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,411
vCash: 500
His peak probably would have been a top 10 goalie. But these injuries have absolutely killed his game. I honestly think he would get lit up in the CHL if he could play there.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:13 PM
  #267
startainfection
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 6,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
This may be closer to the truth than the idea that DiPietro is being prepared for a buyout.

The Islanders need to stay above cap minimum. If DiPietro is claimed on waivers or if he is bought out the Islanders would be under the minimum cap. Niether Thomas nor Nabokov are playing well at the moment (& Thomas not at all) and both are older than Luongo. The rookie goalies the Islanders have are not ready, if ever, to play a leading roll in the NHL.

Of the teams that may be looking to improve in goal, the Islanders are a team with depth in quality prospects including a number of lottery picks. With Kesler and Booth back, the Canucks are no longer a team that absolutely is looking for NHL ready players. The Islanders could afford to give the Canucks an offer the Canucks cannot refuse in order to solidify their goal position and still not seriously harm the Islanders prospect depth.

Personally if the Islanders do trade with the Canucks for one of Vancouver's goalies, I think the Islanders will go afterr Cory Schnieder rather than Roberto Luongo.

Which players or prospects do you think Vancouver would be asking for in return?
please don't talk about our prospects if you have no idea what you are talking about

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
  #268
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morgantown PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,456
vCash: 500
I've never met the guy - but isn't he a collossal jerk? Keith Jones has said he is one of those "don't you know who I am?" kind of guys.

So I don't feel bad for him. I've been sick of hearing about him for years. Maybe we won't hear from him again.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:27 PM
  #269
CloneHakanPlease*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Real sad story. Poor guy obviously worked hard to get to where he was (NHL, 1st OA pick) and just never got a chance to see how good he was because of injuries.

He had maybe 4 seasons where he didn't spend the majority injured.

I get that he got a big pay-day, etc etc but its gotta suck to lose your NHL career to injuries essentially.
I've seen sadder than guy getting paid more money than most people will eer see in their lives to play a game.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
  #270
bvon44
Registered User
 
bvon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I've never met the guy - but isn't he a collossal jerk? Keith Jones has said he is one of those "don't you know who I am?" kind of guys.
I know people that worked for the Islanders organization (lower end jobs in PR and interns in the media dept.) and they had nothing but great things to say about all the players except for two, Rick Dipietro and Jason Blake. I've never heard that quote from Keith Jones, but from what I've heard, he hit the nail right on the head regarding DP.

bvon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:35 PM
  #271
eastonhockey22*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZBAKE View Post
I've seen sadder than guy getting paid more money than most people will eer see in their lives to play a game.
What's sadder than being given a taste of a dream you've worked towards your entire life only to have it ripped away from you and dangled in front of your face due to circumstances that are completely out of your control? Money ain't everything bro, some people have ambitions.

eastonhockey22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:38 PM
  #272
deckercky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
The thing I will never understand is they drafted him #1 and they already had a #1 goalie. No one ever drafts a goalie at #1 esp when you have a #1 goalie in net already. Milbury was a complete idiot. But that's a whole other painful discussion.
Milbury was a complete idiot, but he was making the all too common mistake of thinking that the proper way to build a team is to emulate the previous winner. He saw the future as needing a goalie who can play the puck, so drafted a goalie he thought would be a Brodeur in the future - able to tend the net well, but also able to dictate the pace of the game by breaking up plays.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:00 PM
  #273
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post
So he was CLEARLY the fourth best goaltender in NY? And He only made it to the olympics because of his nationality?
Where's Ryan Miller from again?
Miller was basically a rookie at the time, and then replaced DiPietro as olympic starter at the next games. DP's backups at the 2006 olympics were Robert Esche and John Grahame. Not exactly a stellar crop of Americans.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:08 PM
  #274
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli
 
M Moulson Ale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,756
vCash: 500
DP has cleared and the Isles have signed the former Ranger Steve Valiqutte to a PTO according to the Sound Tigers twitter.

M Moulson Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:36 PM
  #275
eastonhockey22*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Miller was basically a rookie at the time, and then replaced DiPietro as olympic starter at the next games. DP's backups at the 2006 olympics were Robert Esche and John Grahame. Not exactly a stellar crop of Americans.
But your argument was that dipietro was CLEARLY the worst. Besides miller was drafted a full year before Dipi. How could he use the rookie status as an excuse?

eastonhockey22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.