HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 1, Predators 0: Expo Ernie Conquers the Sunsphere

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 02:23 AM
Free Edler
Soft.

vCash: 500
Irbe was pretty good here.. and he was free. He had some good years in Carolina during the dead puck and pillow pads era.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:24 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
Really? They had 12 dead on scoring chances from my count that could've broke the teams back until they picked it up later on. He had pretty much zero margin for error in the first half of the game, was perfect and allowed the team to takeover. Which is funny because they took over in the last period of a back to back and down a dman.
I doubt you watched the first period then. The preds were dominating and with brochu would have been 4-0 most likely.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:24 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

How did Ballard look today on the right? Didn't really notice him out there much (probably a good thing).

Old
02-23-2013, 02:26 AM
Derp Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
I doubt you watched the first period then. The preds were dominating and with brochu would have been 4-0 most likely.
I did say they were dominating and Luongo was the reason it was 0-0.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:26 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
^^^

I don't think anyone necessarily turned on Auld. At least from what I remember. When he was dealt many still believed he had #1 upside.
I meant now, in retrospect, everybody seems to lump him with some of the really awful ones.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:48 AM
LiquidSnake*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I don't really understand why people turned on Auld. He wasn't great, but he was better than Cloutier and played average/solid enough that he usually didn't prevent the team from winning himself.

I also really liked Hedberg.
Alex Auld was never better than Cloutier.

The year Cloutier had a knee injury and missed the season, Auld took the starting job and the Canucks missed the playoffs.

Cloutier had pretty good reg season numbers. He was just terrible in the playoffs.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:24 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp Kassian View Post
I did say they were dominating and Luongo was the reason it was 0-0.
sorry that was supposed to quote vector..

Old
02-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Tleve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowMaster View Post
Well watching the game caused me to catch up on some sleep. So both choices would have worked for you.
That is what I was going to say...tried to stay awake but couldn't. Glad they won.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:59 AM
Pip
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
How did Ballard look today on the right? Didn't really notice him out there much (probably a good thing).
yup exactly what you said, for a defenseman to go unnoticed is a good thing, if they make a positive impact it's just a bonus for me. We already have Bieksa and Edler as our risk/reward defenseman, dont need Ballard to be another one. Although i would love to see him paired with Hamhuis while Bieksa is gone to see what he would play like in a situation where he could play his game that made him so successful before he came to Vancouver

Old
02-23-2013, 04:04 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with basing some thought on personal opinion-- That should be the whole purpose of this board.

I think the team would benefit from riding the hot hand. I'm not saying it's an objective fact. Why is that silly?
Because it changes day to day. And there's no really consistent, objective measure. Would you not say Schneider had an excellent game last game? Should he not have then been in net this game? After his shut-out should we not have ridden him?

It just seems to me that people are consistently suggesting we 'ride the hot hand' in the face of a more compressed schedule, and where management seems to have a specific plan as to who starts when. Not having a go at you specifically, more the fact that this seems to be mentioned every time either goalie plays well.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:06 AM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CpatainCanuck View Post
".500" is now a meaningless term. It used to signify the exact average nhl team. Now anybody at .500 or below is a bad team.
I think someone did an analysis of the last 3-4 years and it showed that .560 is the actual, consistent midpoint.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:51 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
Because it changes day to day. And there's no really consistent, objective measure. Would you not say Schneider had an excellent game last game? Should he not have then been in net this game? After his shut-out should we not have ridden him?

It just seems to me that people are consistently suggesting we 'ride the hot hand' in the face of a more compressed schedule, and where management seems to have a specific plan as to who starts when. Not having a go at you specifically, more the fact that this seems to be mentioned every time either goalie plays well.
Schneider wasn't excellent last game. He let in a soft hard-angle goal on the first shot, and another on an unscreened backhand that I'm sure he'd love to have back. He was quite good in the Chicago game in which he got hung out to dry. However, by his own admission, he spotted Dallas two goals last Friday. Schneider hasn't yet had the consistency this year we've come to expect from him. He's been great in some games, and had others where he's sub-par by his usual standards.

So far I think AV has tried to give them equal minutes to avoid being seen as playing favorites. Luongo has 25 more minutes of ice time. When we get closer to the playoffs though, I think he'll ride whoever is having the better season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
I think someone did an analysis of the last 3-4 years and it showed that .560 is the actual, consistent midpoint.
Point percentage-wise, that's about right. 54 points should be enough to snag 8th in the West this season.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:30 AM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydave View Post
Talk about a guy who was lucky to be there-anyway after the 1st luongo didn't see many quality shots.Good on em but I was sure it was going to be 0-0 in OT
I was sure it was going to be 0-0 after the shootout

Old
02-23-2013, 08:07 AM
billvanseattle

Potvin was actually decent during the regular season.

Sadly he let in one of the worst goals in hockey history against detroit in the playoffs, which will never be forgotten.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Askel
Brock Bowser Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Potvin was actually decent during the regular season.

Sadly he let in one of the worst goals in hockey history against detroit in the playoffs, which will never be forgotten.
Hmm that was Clouthier.

Potvin sucked and was outplayed by Bob Essensa.

Old
02-23-2013, 08:16 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Hmm that was Clouthier.

Potvin sucked and was outplayed by Bob Essensa.
bloody hell thats right. I'm getting old.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Alex Auld was never better than Cloutier.

The year Cloutier had a knee injury and missed the season, Auld took the starting job and the Canucks missed the playoffs.

Cloutier had pretty good reg season numbers. He was just terrible in the playoffs.
Wasnt Auld team MVP that year? We will never know how good Cloutier was as he came to Vancouver right when they were becoming a good team. We do know he wasnt any good anywhere else the same as Auld.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
I like the idea of both goalies playing ~24 games, and going with the hot hand at the end of the year.
Why not just run two goalies through the playoffs?

I just remember how exhausted Luongo looked during our run to the finals.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:39 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Approaching 1,000 posts, and the next Pre-Game Thread is up.

Closed.

Closed Thread