HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 12:30 PM
Teemu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
lets be honest here.. shouldn't the hawks tomorrow vs SJ get a 23.4 rating intstead of 6?? if chicago is now a hockey town because of this start, then i think anything less than 23.4 would be a disppointment. here is why... they are playing at home on a fri night, no work next day, vs a good team (sj).. and most important, they are going for the all time NHL record.. 100 yr record.. i know if this was happening in montreal on a fri night, the whole province would be watching. we might even get a 64.3 rating.. if i see tomorrow a 6.3 rating, i will think it's a disappointment. if the bears can get a 43.3 rating during reg season and they're .500, why cant the talk of town hawks who are going for an all time NHL record at home on a fri night get 20.0+. am i right here boys??

oh, and also, the bulls playing worst team in nba and that game will be over by the 1st period.. so it's the only show in Chicago tomorrow night..
It's a really obscure record. Consecutive-games-without-a-loss-not-including-overtime-or-shootout-losses-to-start-a-season. Not exactly as snappy as winning-streak.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:22 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
wingsfan please. All these excuses for the NHL? Just admit the NBA is more popular.
****ed it up. Thought I read last year that the numbers were down. (Still pretty sure I did)

By the way, I've never said the NBA wasnt more popular, but just a little FYI, that Pens/Flyers game had only 200,000 less viewers than the NBA game it was going head to head against, and NBCSN is only available in 80% of the homes that ESPN is in.

Is it an anomaly? Yes, but it never would've happened five years ago. Ever. So let's try not to pretend that the gap isn't closing.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
wingsfan please. All these excuses for the NHL? Just admit the NBA is more popular.

not only that. only 75 milion people in the U.S have hockey in their state and grew up with it.. whereas all 300 million in U.S have basketball and grew up with it. so basically, NBA should outbeat NHL by 4x.. yet the gap on the phi/pit was only 200k.. lol it should have been 3.6 mil to 900k.. hockey is doing great. but this is why hockey can never compete with NBA cause there's just way more people familiar with baskets than hockey. so hockey is doing great. we are playing short handed.. like playing against a 5 on 3 powerplay all game.. we stand a very slim chance. but we're doing great. if hockey was played in Kentucky, Nebraska, Utah, and many many more states, we'd be kicking the NBA's ass. all we really have is the north east and some parts of midwest, whereas the NBA has the whole country..also, we don't have the blacks and hispanics like the nba does. and that hurts..

and that's why it's going to be tough to beat the NBA ever.
for the amount of viewers the nba gets, they really are not doing that good, or that maybe hockey is just doing so good

Old
02-22-2013, 04:12 PM
Tone King
Atomic Punk

vCash: 50
Quote:
not only that. only 75 milion people in the U.S have hockey in their state and grew up with it.. whereas all 300 million in U.S have basketball and grew up with it. so basically, NBA should outbeat NHL by 4x.. yet the gap on the phi/pit was only 200k.. lol it should have been 3.6 mil to 900k.. hockey is doing great. but this is why hockey can never compete with NBA cause there's just way more people familiar with baskets than hockey. so hockey is doing great. we are playing short handed.. like playing against a 5 on 3 powerplay all game.. we stand a very slim chance. but we're doing great. if hockey was played in Kentucky, Nebraska, Utah, and many many more states, we'd be kicking the NBA's ass. all we really have is the north east and some parts of midwest, whereas the NBA has the whole country..also, we don't have the blacks and hispanics like the nba does. and that hurts..

and that's why it's going to be tough to beat the NBA ever.
for the amount of viewers the nba gets, they really are not doing that good, or that maybe hockey is just doing so good
UNO has a good college hockey program. The old UND coach. They have excellent attendance as well. Just......not many people living there!

Old
02-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Wingsfan2965*

This type of "More people were exposed to basketball that hockey, which is why hockey will never be able to compete" theory fails in the sense that people are more exposed to soccer than just about any other sport in the States, and still, in terms of pro leagues, it's dead.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:51 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Wednesday Night Rivalry has been a boon for NBC Sports.
It's a great concept.

Having never seen one, do they open the games with a montage of old clips showing moments that made the "rivalry"? Do they explain to casuals why the game matters? That stuff hooks casuals like crazy.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:39 PM
Nicky Santoro

i don't think i have looked more forward to a local rating ever like tomorrow's rating of the chicago game in chicago. the only one that comes close is kings last yr game 6 in LA. i can't wait for tomorrow. i am making my over/under at 8.4. if it reaches double digits, it'll make my week. if it reaches 13 or higher, it'll make my yr.

i'll be refreshing this page every 4.4 seconds starting at noon sat.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Azkals

Quote:
i don't think i have looked more forward to a local rating ever like tomorrow's rating of the chicago game in chicago. the only one that comes close is kings last yr game 6 in LA. i can't wait for tomorrow. i am making my over/under at 8.4. if it reaches double digits, it'll make my week. if it reaches 13 or higher, it'll make my yr.

i'll be refreshing this page every 4.4 seconds starting at noon sat.
and if it makes a 20.0 or higher it'll be the greatest moment of my life.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
This type of "More people were exposed to basketball that hockey, which is why hockey will never be able to compete" theory fails in the sense that people are more exposed to soccer than just about any other sport in the States, and still, in terms of pro leagues, it's dead.
Apples and oranges. The best hockey players in the world play in the States. The best soccer players in the world play in Europe.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
Apples and oranges. The best hockey players in the world play in the States. The best soccer players in the world play in Europe.
now, the big question... what if all the best were in the U.S playing, and there was a 30 team league called the NSL.. the national soccer league.. would it be the 2nd most popular sport behind nfl? would it be 5th and last place, or would it be 4th place behind nba and ahead of nhl??

i think it'd be 5th no matter what. i doubt americans will enjoy that boring crap where the game ends 0-0 and only 2 decent scoring chances all game.. fans would get bored. i freakin hate soccer, unless i want to fall asleep fast and i have no ambien in the house.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:45 AM
joelef

Quote:
now, the big question... what if all the best were in the U.S playing, and there was a 30 team league called the NSL.. the national soccer league.. would it be the 2nd most popular sport behind nfl? would it be 5th and last place, or would it be 4th place behind nba and ahead of nhl??

i think it'd be 5th no matter what. i doubt americans will enjoy that boring crap where the game ends 0-0 and only 2 decent scoring chances all game.. fans would get bored. i freakin hate soccer, unless i want to fall asleep fast and i have no ambien in the house.
MLS is already 5th and averages over 18000 .

Old
02-23-2013, 12:54 AM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
I think people overlook how big of a leap soccer is making in the United States. With Fox Soccer and other things on cable now it makes it REALLY easy to watch a lot of high quality football.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Fenway

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
It's a great concept.

Having never seen one, do they open the games with a montage of old clips showing moments that made the "rivalry"? Do they explain to casuals why the game matters? That stuff hooks casuals like crazy.
Best ever montage RDS/NESN - 2006

Old
02-23-2013, 01:23 AM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelef View Post
i don't care if it's 5th.. their tv ratings are horrible and no one watches that crap except immigrants and a very few americans.. in montreal, the impact here in MLS drew 62,000 i believe at a game this yr against galaxy. they were 3rd in attendance this yr. people who read that, will think MTL is a big soccer town.. yet this city never talks soccer. we hate it. my buddy went to that game and told me all the greeks, portugese and other ethnic communities were at that game. no one else. in terms of fan interest in the U.S and tv ratings, no one has the patience to watch that crap. it's a slow slow boring game. americans will never make it a popular sport. they just hate it. and don't tell me it had a bigger attendance avg than nba and nhl.. who cares.. does that mean it's more popular than NBA?? hell no.. they also play in bigger stadiums and less games.. and tickets are cheaper. it's all about tv ratings.. and no one watches that..

Old
02-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Fenway

vCash: 0
It was curious that NBC grabbed BOS-MON for 3 of their 4 meetings with US exclusives.

(NESN is not happy about that)

Chicago ratings are astounding when you consider you consider the market demos

6+ Population: 7,819,200 Ethnic Composition: Black - 17.6% Hispanic - 20%

compared to Pittsburgh

6+ Population: 1,990,400 Ethnic Composition: Black - 8.76% Hispanic - 1%

Buffalo

12+ Population: 977,200 Ethnic Composition: Black - 11.91% Hispanic - 4%

and Boston

6+ Population: 4,022,600 Ethnic Composition: Black - 7.3% Hispanic - 9%

Hockey will always perform well in the core US markets. Boston, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Philadelphia and Chicago.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:47 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
I think people overlook how big of a leap soccer is making in the United States. With Fox Soccer and other things on cable now it makes it REALLY easy to watch a lot of high quality football.
Soccer in the US has taken an absolute absurd jump over the past two decades. The problem is that too many people somehow thought that it would be an overnight transition from complete non-factor to world power.

It'll be interesting to see what kinds of heights soccer reaches in my lifetime...but there's still a long ways to go. Television ratings aren't good and I don't think they'll start to even compete with the NHL's current levels for at least another decade.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Azkals

Quote:
i don't care if it's 5th.. their tv ratings are horrible and no one watches that crap except immigrants and a very few americans.. in montreal, the impact here in MLS drew 62,000 i believe at a game this yr against galaxy. they were 3rd in attendance this yr. people who read that, will think MTL is a big soccer town.. yet this city never talks soccer. we hate it. my buddy went to that game and told me all the greeks, portugese and other ethnic communities were at that game. no one else. in terms of fan interest in the U.S and tv ratings, no one has the patience to watch that crap. it's a slow slow boring game. americans will never make it a popular sport. they just hate it. and don't tell me it had a bigger attendance avg than nba and nhl.. who cares.. does that mean it's more popular than NBA?? hell no.. they also play in bigger stadiums and less games.. and tickets are cheaper. it's all about tv ratings.. and no one watches that..
The TV ratings are horrible? Last year a regular season EPL game got over a million viewers in the middle of a Monday and got over a 10.0+ rating among male college students. Even at the college I go to there are a ton of soccer fans, many of them Americans. We like soccer, we just want the best quality soccer.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:40 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azkals View Post
The TV ratings are horrible? Last year a regular season EPL game got over a million viewers in the middle of a Monday and got over a 10.0+ rating among male college students. Even at the college I go to there are a ton of soccer fans, many of them Americans. We like soccer, we just want the best quality soccer.
His post was about MLS. Yes, MLS ratings are horrible.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:50 AM
joelef

Quote:
actually most play in 18-20.000 stadiums.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:14 AM
CanadaIsHockey

All this talk about the Blackhawks....

Coyotes off to best ratings start since 2000

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/2...art-since-2000

Quote:
*Teams like the Blackhawks and Penguins aren't the only ones off to solid ratings starts. Some teams are managing it on a smaller scale, too. Take a look, for example, at the Phoenix Coyotes. They began the season with their best ratings start since 2000-01, according to a press release from FS Arizona. The team has averaged a 1.0 rating in the market, with the Feb. 4 game against Minnesota drawing a 1.5, marking the team's best rating for a regular season game since Brian Boucher was piling up shutouts nine years ago.
And the rest of the article for some reason is just about the Blackhawks. Apparently they are having a record breaking season or something

Old
02-23-2013, 10:18 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
For reference a 1.0 rating in the Phoenix market is 18,066 households. The Suns are drawing an average rating of 1.4 this season.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
For reference a 1.0 rating in the Phoenix market is 18,066 households. The Suns are drawing an average rating of 1.4 this season.
Being the worst team in basketball helps lol.

Good for the coyotes.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:24 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
Being the worst team in basketball helps lol.

Good for the coyotes.
Crap, I knew they weren't good. I didn't realize they were last in the Western Conference. There are still 4 teams in the Eastern Conference with worse records though.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Azkals

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
His post was about MLS. Yes, MLS ratings are horrible.
There are certain markets that have decent local ratings, but overall I'd agree there not too good.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:02 AM
2mannings1cup

You could make the argument that the Revolution were more popular than the Bruins from 05-07.

Closed Thread