HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/30: Letang (toe) 7-10 days | Martin (hand) 6 weeks | Crosby (****-ton of novacane)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 10:33 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy13 View Post
Time for the Mustard Yellow 3rd Jerseys from the mid 80's...

They were so bad no one would want to go near them to throw a hit lol...

But this seriously sucks, hopefully it's no where NEAR what Crosby went through, and it looks like Shero may have to start upgrading talent very soon, as I'm a little concerned about the scoring depth when one of our star centres are out. Sutter as a 2nd line Centre is not really ideal. Hope he proves me wrong however.

So does Neal line up beside Crosby now and drop Kunitz or Dupuis to the 2nd line?

I've never had the interest myself in creating lineups just for speculation, maybe because when Sid was out, Stall easily fit in at #2 so well. What do you guys think on how the lineups would look if Geno missed any amount of time?
Sutter would move to the second line and Jeffery would probably go to the third. Knowing Dan, he would probably shuffle the lines a bit and might move Neal.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Great...

Old
02-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
let's avoid postulating when he'll come back.

as we've learned, even the most innocuous hits can be career threatening while brutal hits can result in only a few games missed.
Absolutely true. I remember when Horton got drilled I thought "He's not coming back for a LONG time"... every players brain reacts somewhat differently it seems. I guess that makes sense since everyone's skull is shaped somewhat differently as well as the length and strength of their neck muscles, etc. All kinds of factors go into that situation.

Let's hope we see a healthy Geno again before the playoffs, but I'm not holding my breath. And if Shero makes a big trade I'm 100% fine with him not coming back till camp even if he feels pretty good come playoff time and can skate without headaches, etc.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I saw a few people comment that he may not of hit his head on the boards, but that really doesn't matter, right?

From what I unfortunately had to learn through my own personal experiences, the brain just has to be rattled inside your skull (quick snap of the neck) to be concussed. So you don't have to necessarily take a shot to the head to get a concussion.
yes. doesnt matter if he hit his head or not. deceleration injuries can cause concussions and death (from rupture of cerebral veins) without the skull hitting something.

imagine going 100mph in a car and then suddenly coming to an immediate stop, where you dont hit your head against anything. momentum will cause your brain to try to continue with forward motion, leading to the brain rattling around in your skull. the brain is very very softy and mushy. it has little structural support. same thing happens with shaken babies-- their head doesnt actually hit anything but the rattling around causes rupture of vessels/bleeding.

so dont shake your kids.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:39 AM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
Sutter would move to the second line and Jeffery would probably go to the third. Knowing Dan, he would probably shuffle the lines a bit and might move Neal.
Were basically gonna have two 4th lines out their now. Im more worried about the pp though

Old
02-23-2013, 10:39 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
yes. doesnt matter if he hit his head or not. deceleration injuries can cause concussions and death (from rupture of cerebral veins) without the skull hitting something.
the only thing i can take from this as a positive is that it says "concussion-like" symptoms....it may be a concussion, or it may be a bad whiplash...there's some sort of hope...

Bad whiplash = 1-2 weeks
Concussion = 4 weeks no matter what (imo)

Old
02-23-2013, 10:40 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
That sounds painful...

Old
02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I saw a few people comment that he may not of hit his head on the boards, but that really doesn't matter, right?
I'm not a doctor but IMO, no it doesn't. It's about the movement of the head. Concussions occur when the brain impacts the inside of the skull one or more times.

In this case, it probably came from the point at which his head stopped "whip-lashing" and then rebounded / started moving away from the boards. IOW, his brain and skull traveled rapidly towards the boards when the whiplash-like motion was initiated, and then when his skull stopped for a split second and started moving forward again, his brain continued moving towards the boards and impacted the back of his skull.

In Tarasenko's case there could've been two collisions. One when he turned into the Avs player and his foreward momentum was suddenly halted and his head sent backward (brain hitting the front of the skull) and slamming into the ice (brain hits the back of the skull).

What sucks for hits like Tarasenko's is, the league could probably reduce the number greatly by outlawing these "plastic armor" shoulder pads that allow players to steam-roll other players and basically feel no shoulder impact from it. In the old days, you run someone like that and you risk ****ing up your shoulder, not just the other player... so you throttle things back a little and reduce the speed to protect yourself while still making a hit.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
the only thing i can take from this as a positive is that it says "concussion-like" symptoms....it may be a concussion, or it may be a bad whiplash...there's some sort of hope...

Bad whiplash = 1-2 weeks
Concussion = 4 weeks no matter what (imo)
Are you a doctor? Or do u just play one on HF boards

Old
02-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Duffy13
‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

Quote:
I'm going to stay optimistic until it's confirmed that it's a worst case scenario.

This schedule is a train wreck... no training camp to get into shape, and some players opting not to go to Europe/Russia, so we're seeing a lot more injuries due to having to play basically play off hockey for 4 months before the playoffs actually begin... If Malkin misses around 4 weeks... and is able to come back completely healthy... well, that's going to be quite a boost, for him, and the team come playoff time.

Should confirm I'm definitely not saying Malkins injury is due to lack of preparation or conditioning... just an unfortunate result of a good hit. But it does seem like there's more injuries than in a normal year. And before Geno's injury we've been pretty lucky up to now. Look at Philly, Detroit, and Ottawa and hope we avoid injury runs like they have had.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Til the End of Time

i didnt mean to sound dramatic btw. he could be back in a week, who knows.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Are you a doctor? Or do u just play one on HF boards
on my way to becoming one....

Old
02-23-2013, 10:45 AM
BeauKnows19

It doesn't seem to severe, but you really never know with a concussion. I got a concussion in October, got right up, and here I am still having symptoms every day. I hope Geno's isn't this bad. Watching the replays of that hit and the way his neck went into the boards really scares me though. I'm hoping for the best though. How many times can this team go through these severe injuries to their stars and get by without it? This will be our first test since losing Staal. Hopefully its just a few week recovery though.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
on my way to becoming one....
I am also qualified as I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
joey23

We survived Sid’s, we would survive Geno’s.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:49 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I am also qualified as I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
I'm just giving my professional opinion here, sorry if that isn't what you were looking for.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
i didnt mean to sound dramatic btw. he could be back in a week, who knows.
I think the practice-and-test protocol alone ensures that is not possible. They will not let him on the ice for several days at least (forget the road trip), and then there will be several days of practice-then-test (whenever his symptoms have completely ceased) before he puts the uniform on again.

Don't have to be dramatic to suggest we won't see him again for 2-3 weeks at least. That's just protocol at this point.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
I'm just giving my professional opinion here, sorry if that isn't what you were looking for.
You got me all wrong.

I was actually making fun of me, not you. I think you're more than qualified to comment compared to most of us.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:51 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
You got me all wrong.

I was actually making fun of me, not you. I think you're more than qualified to comment compared to most of us.
Oh . My bad, I apologize than

Old
02-23-2013, 10:52 AM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey23 View Post
We survived Sid’s, we would survive Geno’s.
Not certain I would call what we did without Sid as "surviving".

Old
02-23-2013, 10:52 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
This makes me sick to my stomach. Hope he gets better soon. Really hope he doesn't go through what Crosby went through.
I misdiagnosed broken vertebrae? I should hope not.

-edit-

I notice they're always careful to use the language "concussion-like symptoms". That means that its more serious than a headache though, right? Because a headache can come from neck strain, which he undoubtedly had after that crash. Have to wait and see I guess.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I'm not a doctor but IMO, no it doesn't. It's about the movement of the head. Concussions occur when the brain impacts the inside of the skull one or more times.

In this case, it probably came from the point at which his head stopped "whip-lashing" and then rebounded / started moving away from the boards. IOW, his brain and skull traveled rapidly towards the boards when the whiplash-like motion was initiated, and then when his skull stopped for a split second and started moving forward again, his brain continued moving towards the boards and impacted the back of his skull.

In Tarasenko's case there could've been two collisions. One when he turned into the Avs player and his foreward momentum was suddenly halted and his head sent backward (brain hitting the front of the skull) and slamming into the ice (brain hits the back of the skull).

What sucks for hits like Tarasenko's is, the league could probably reduce the number greatly by outlawing these "plastic armor" shoulder pags that allow players to steam-roll other players and basically feel no shoulder impact from it. In the old days, you run someone like that and you risk ****ing up your shoulder, not just the other player... so you throttle things back a little and reduce the speed to protect yourself while still making a hit.
I always used what is known as a soft, low profile shoulder pad. I felt too restricted in the hard cap shoulder pads and pretty much hated them. There was definitely a trade off in protection though. The hard caps absorb more of the impact and can no doubt be used as a weapon if you know what you are doing.

Old
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

One thing to keep in mind this was Rossi. Granted he is probably correct. I want to hear what Disco says this afternoon. Get well Geno. We need ya healthy for the playoffs.

Old
Mr Writer

I hope it's not serious and he has a speedy recovery. It's never fun when the game's best players are sidelined.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:54 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Disco won't give any update behind 'upper body injury' .. ..

Closed Thread