HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013 Leafs Trades/Proposals/Signings: Version VI - Just trade O'Reilly Already!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2013, 09:37 AM
  #851
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Asset that will be traded this year i think

Mac
Liles
another D

What could we get for these assets combined with a prospect or 2nd round pick could we get another first or 2 firsts?

Is it better to get more firsts than players?

I would still love Clowe on this team he would be perfect to play 2nd line..

Mac + prospect for Clowe

Liles for a 1st

smaller trades for 3rds..
Clowe is UFA.

I think it is too soon to be looking at trades for improving the team.

Closer to the deadline, depending on where the team is, make moves to improve or unload.

San Jose is in the playoffs right now, why would they move a UFA for UFA unless they were getting something good on top?

Colborne + MacArthur
for
Clowe

Would either team do something like that?

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 09:51 AM
  #852
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
ROR and Backstrom would make us a playoff team!

COL: Bozak + Gunnar + Percy
TOR: O'Reilly

MIN: MacA + Rynnas
TOR: Backstrom

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Frattin - ROR - Lupul
Komarov- Grabo - Kuli
McLaren - McClement - Orr/Brown

Phanuef - Holzer
Gardiner - Kostka
Fraser/Liles - Franson

Backstrom
Reimer

That team has everything we need to succeed! Maybe not win a cup this year but IMO has a chance to at least win a playoff round and build towards more.

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 09:58 AM
  #853
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game
 
ErnieLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Windsor, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
ROR and Backstrom would make us a playoff team!

COL: Bozak + Gunnar + Percy
TOR: O'Reilly

MIN: MacA + Rynnas
TOR: Backstrom

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Frattin - ROR - Lupul
Komarov- Grabo - Kuli
McLaren - McClement - Orr/Brown

Phanuef - Holzer
Gardiner - Kostka
Fraser/Liles - Franson

Backstrom
Reimer

That team has everything we need to succeed! Maybe not win a cup this year but IMO has a chance to at least win a playoff round and build towards more.
We're a playoff team right now without them!!!

ErnieLeafs is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:13 AM
  #854
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
We're a playoff team right now without them!!!
True... BUT i want to win in the PO's and i think it's a good time to sell high on Bozak and Gunnar.

Scrivens/Reimer has played well but i think that wont last under the pressures of the PO's. We need a vet in net who has seen that type of pressure.

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:15 AM
  #855
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Markham and Lawrence
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Connolly will most likely be traded from now till trade deadline.

I seriously think we have seen the last of Connolly in our system. I think he is a goner within few days. We might garner any sort of value for him.

I have a similar feeling about Liles as well, might as well ship him out rather than sitting him in the press box.

Fearless Leaf* is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:18 AM
  #856
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
ROR and Backstrom would make us a playoff team!

COL: Bozak + Gunnar + Percy
TOR: O'Reilly

MIN: MacA + Rynnas
TOR: Backstrom

JVR - Kadri - Kessel
Frattin - ROR - Lupul
Komarov- Grabo - Kuli
McLaren - McClement - Orr/Brown

Phanuef - Holzer
Gardiner - Kostka
Fraser/Liles - Franson

Backstrom
Reimer

That team has everything we need to succeed! Maybe not win a cup this year but IMO has a chance to at least win a playoff round and build towards more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
We're a playoff team right now without them!!!
Bozak and 1st. for O'Reilly

Why in the world, when the Wild just spent $200 million on 2 players, would they trade their starter?

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:20 AM
  #857
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
True... BUT i want to win in the PO's and i think it's a good time to sell high on Bozak and Gunnar.

Scrivens/Reimer has played well but i think that wont last under the pressures of the PO's. We need a vet in net who has seen that type of pressure.
Trade the extra d-man, Liles.

The Avs would know what they are getting.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:23 AM
  #858
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,658
vCash: 500
Connolly to the Penguins if Malkin is injured?

Or hold off on the pick, instead of helping an intraconference team

Phion Keneuf is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:34 AM
  #859
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Connolly to the Penguins if Malkin is injured?

Or hold off on the pick, instead of helping an intraconference team
Pens are a playoff contender with or without Connolly... Take the pick and run!

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:37 AM
  #860
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE
 
Chandrashekhar Limit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waterloo, ON
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
Connolly might actually make them worse

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:37 AM
  #861
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Bozak and 1st. for O'Reilly

Why in the world, when the Wild just spent $200 million on 2 players, would they trade their starter?
because he is a UFA and they have Harding and Hackett that are NHL caliper goalies.

by signing Parise and Suter to that kind of term it's about the long haul and giving their young goalies a shot in a short season will pay dividends down the road.

Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:44 AM
  #862
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyballHockey View Post
What could we get by eating some of our losses and moving Connolly, Kommasarek, Liles and Gardiner? You're mistaken if you think Carlyle wants easy to play against D in his lineup. You don't win Stanley Cups with D like Gardiner/Liles. Maybe Colorado believes they can? Been awhile since they've been around in June. All 4 of the above for ROR? Lol
No thanks, i'd rather offer sheet ROR and let the chips fall.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:48 AM
  #863
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Phaneuf was a better defenseman at O'Reilly's age than O'Reilly is a center.

How many Norris trophies has Phaneuf won since he was a finalist? How many times as he been in the top 3? How about Mike Green in Washington? Nick Backstrom must surely be the best center in the game since he had 88 points as a 21 year old and 101 points as a 22 year old.

It is great that 21 and 22 year olds always get better as 23 and 24 year olds. Progressive improvement is guaranteed. Well that is the theory I'm hearing.

2007-2008 Norris Trophy Voting
Pts. (1st-2nd-3rd-4th-5th)
1. Nicklas Lidstrom, DET 1313 (127-5-1-1-0)
2. Dion Phaneuf, CGY 561 (2-38-37-26-12)
3. Zdeno Chara, BOS 486 (3-38-23-21-12)
4. Sergei Gonchar, PIT 370 (1-24-21-21-24)
5. Brian Campbell, S.J. 333 (1-18-16-31-24)
6. Andrei Markov, MTL 156 (0-4-15-11-20)
7. Mike Green, WSH 84 (0-1-7-10-12)
8. Chris Pronger, ANA 56 (0-2-5-5-2)
9. Brian Rafalski, DET 25 (0-1-1-2-7)
10. Scott Niedermayer, ANA 22 (0-2-1-1-0)
11. Duncan Keith, CHI 19 (0-0-2-0-9)
12. Brent Burns, MIN 14 (0-0-2-1-1)
13. Mark Streit, MTL 11 (0-1-0-1-1)
14. Mathieu Schneider, ANA 9 (0-0-1-1-1)
15. Ed Jovanovski, PHX 8 (0-0-1-1-0)
16. Wade Redden, OTT 3 (0-0-0-1-0)
17. Joe Corvo, CAR 1 (0-0-0-0-1)
Jassen Cullimore, FLA 1 (0-0-0-0-1)
Tomas Kaberle, TOR 1 (0-0-0-0-1)
Mike Komisarek, MTL 1 (0-0-0-0-1)
John-Michael Liles, COL 1 (0-0-0-0-1)
Andrej Meszaros, OTT 1 (0-0-0-0-1)
Kimmo Timonen, PHI 1 (0-0-0-0-1)
Shea Weber, NSH 1 (0-0-0-0-1)
Sergei Zubov, DAL 1 (0-0-0-0-1)


Phaneuf Norris Votes:
2009: 2 3rd., 2 4th., 1 5th.
2010: 1 4th.
2011: 0
2012: 0

Don't have to look far to see that progression isn't linear.

Just because O'Reilly has a blip in one year doesn't mean he's going back there again.

As soon as Stajan was given the ice time in Toronto, after playing behind a HOF center, and Antropov he put up the points. Could he have done it as a 22 year old? We don't know because he never had that opportunity or was given that ice time.

At age 20, in the NHL Stajan scored 14 goals while playing 11:00 a game. He got 0:33 seconds on the PP per game.
At age 22, in the NHL Stajan scored 15 goals while playing 11:37 a game. He got 0:37 seconds on the PP per game.

At age 21, in the NHL O'Reilly scored 18 goals while playing 19:31 a game. He got 2:21 of PP time per game.

Stajan is a December baby, O'Reilly a February boy. There was no NHL when Stajan was 21.

As is normal for centers, Stajan's best seasons were based on assists.

He had a 55 and a 57 point season where he scored 15 and 19 goals respectively. He scored 14, 15, 10, and 16 goals in other seasons. Stajan scored 33 and 34 goals in 2 different junior seasons. O'Reilly never scored over 19 goals in any junior season.

By all means if they can land O'Reilly for a reasonable price and the expectation is that he's going to be your 2nd./3rd. line center there should be no disappointment.
I don't give a damn about ROR and his goal totals.

What i see is a play making C with above average defencive ability's and by the look of our wing composition, that fits in here very well.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:51 AM
  #864
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumman View Post
IMO, Bozak has to be resigned, he's impressed this season, and merits staying, Grabbo is the odd man out, he's the centre that needs to be traded because he has value and can garner a respectable return. Packaged with Kulemin + or Liles ++ might get the Leafs a true #1 centre?
I don't agree with the premise "has to be resigned".

If it's not going to be a good contract for us, then boot his ar$e

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:55 AM
  #865
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
because he is a UFA and they have Harding and Hackett that are NHL caliper goalies.

by signing Parise and Suter to that kind of term it's about the long haul and giving their young goalies a shot in a short season will pay dividends down the road.
Harding with MS?

Hackett proven what in the NHL?

So you are saying the Wild is tanking this year?

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:57 AM
  #866
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I don't give a damn about ROR and his goal totals.

What i see is a play making C with above average defencive ability's and by the look of our wing composition, that fits in here very well.
Yep, defensively responsible center.

He'd be a nice guy to put on the 3rd. line and promote Kadri to the top offensive line next year.

Makes sense.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 10:58 AM
  #867
Ricky Bobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,430
vCash: 500
Toronto absolutely should not be trading for pending UFAs like Clowe, Morrow, etc.

Toronto should be trading the following:

Liles: He has far higher value at the deadline than the off-season. Dreger podcast rumoured he could be on the way to Carolina. Mirtle podcast rumoured of a player with 3 years left on his deal was on the move till the GM pulled out at the 11th hour, then the host joked about it being Liles and Mirtle all but officially confirmed it.

Connolly: Should still bring in a 3rd or 4th round pick like Lombardi/Wolski have returned.

CMac: Only useful in a scoring role but 3 of those spots are already accounted for. Makes to much for what he can bring to the Leafs. Most likely returns a 2nd.

Steckel: Lost his spot once McClement came along. Should return anywhere from a 4th to a 6th rounder.

Komisarek: Nobody probably wants. Will have to wait till off-season where we most likely buy him out. But he could start next season with the Leafs if someone gets injured, etc. Decision on him can be made in the off-season.

Kostka/Bozak: We should reink if we can get them on fair deals. If both leave though it isn't the end of the world.

The cap is decreasing for the 1st time since it came into place. Cap space is going to be king this off-season and the Leafs can put them into a position to have lots.

Picks/prospects/young players are always in demand. I see a lot of trade going down this off-season like the ones Chicago made after they won the cup and had to move out Ladd, Buff, Versteeg. Everyone of those trades involved picks/prospects.

Ricky Bobby is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 11:00 AM
  #868
ChuckWoods
Registered User
 
ChuckWoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Harding with MS?

Hackett proven what in the NHL?

So you are saying the Wild is tanking this year?

Don`t bother ULF. lol

That would be the COMPLETE opposite of what Fletcher told Parise and Suter in hopes they would sign long term in Minnesota, and they have.

There is some growing pains going on in Minnesota, but they absolutely have the personnel to hold onto that 8th seed and make some noise in the playoffs.

They have a nice blend of youth and vets on that team that can benefit from each other, the chances of Backstrom going anywhere when they are in a playoff seed are extremely thin.

ChuckWoods is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 11:09 AM
  #869
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
Don`t bother ULF. lol

That would be the COMPLETE opposite of what Fletcher told Parise and Suter in hopes they would sign long term in Minnesota, and they have.

There is some growing pains going on in Minnesota, but they absolutely have the personnel to hold onto that 8th seed and make some noise in the playoffs.

They have a nice blend of youth and vets on that team that can benefit from each other, the chances of Backstrom going anywhere when they are in a playoff seed are extremely thin.
Not only the commitment to the players, but to the fans.

I know we Leafs' fans sometimes over appreciate our navels, but GM's don't.

It is too soon for any teams not named the Flames to be looking at pulling the plug on this season.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
  #870
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Yep, defensively responsible center.

He'd be a nice guy to put on the 3rd. line and promote Kadri to the top offensive line next year.

Makes sense.
Makes no difference to me as long as our goal first type wingers like JVR and Fratten still fill the net.

And we find a way to have both Lups and Kess work a balanced O.

I'm starting to look at this team in a different way.

I'm drifting away from the old 1rst,2nd,3rd line mentality.

I mean is there a ton of difference centering say JVR----Kess and Lups----Frat, the way they have played this year?

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 11:38 AM
  #871
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,494
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Makes no difference to me as long as our goal first type wingers like JVR and Fratten still fill the net.

And we find a way to have both Lups and Kess work a balanced O.

I'm starting to look at this team in a different way.

I'm drifting away from the old 1rst,2nd,3rd line mentality.

I mean is there a ton of difference centering say JVR----Kess and Lups----Frat, the way they have played this year?
Carlyle is playing two offensive lines, but they are not 1st., and 2nd., they are 1st. and 3rd., with the 2nd. line being the shutdown line.

IMO, ideally, O'Reilly would be on that shutdown line.

ULF_55 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 12:57 PM
  #872
Dark Passenger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Carlyle is playing two offensive lines, but they are not 1st., and 2nd., they are 1st. and 3rd., with the 2nd. line being the shutdown line.

IMO, ideally, O'Reilly would be on that shutdown line.
I like the ideal of acquiring ROR and I'm sure Nonis has talked to the Avs, but we should be setting the price, not overpaying. If the Av's are looking for one of our top youngsters like Kadri, Gardiner, or Reilly, hangup the phone.

Bozak and a decent prospect like Percy or Blacker, maybe the extra 4th rounder we got for Lombardi could be included. Thats as high as I would go.

Dark Passenger is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 01:11 PM
  #873
19buds67
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 15
vCash: 500
totaly agree with you that sounds like an awesome trade ror did play for team canada last year world chamionships bozak?

19buds67 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 01:34 PM
  #874
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Harding with MS?

Hackett proven what in the NHL?

So you are saying the Wild is tanking this year?
So you think the wild will just let Backstrom walk for nothing?


Rockinz is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 01:40 PM
  #875
rumman
Registered User
 
rumman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I don't agree with the premise "has to be resigned".

If it's not going to be a good contract for us, then boot his ar$e
agreed, have to be for fair value, that should hold true for every player the Leafs hope to sign.

rumman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.