HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

3/30: Letang (toe) 7-10 days | Martin (hand) 6 weeks | Crosby (****-ton of novacane)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 10:27 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
so are the pens now serious contenders for Oreilly?
I'd rather we wait a bit before engaging in any knee-jerk reaction trades.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:29 AM
Jacob

When Malkin had the concussion in his draft year he was knocked out cold, spent a couple days in the hospital and was back in a month. Each one is different, but there is that.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:30 AM
cashisking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
As soon as his had snapped back you knew the results weren't going to be good. I don't think his head actually made contact with the boards but when it snaps back that quickly it's really not going to make a difference.
Thats what I wondered...when his head snapped back did it in fact hit the boards or was it just a whiplash??

Old
02-23-2013, 10:32 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashisking View Post
Thats what I wondered...when his head snapped back did it in fact hit the boards or was it just a whiplash??
In all honesty, it probably would've been BETTER had his head actually made contact with the boards. Concussions are caused by trauma to the brain because of quick and rapid movement, leading to it making contact with the skull. It doesn't have so much to do with actual contact with the head itself, hence why helmets can only offer so much protection, as they will not necessarily minimize the movement of the brain.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:35 AM
BmxHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I saw a few people comment that he may not of hit his head on the boards, but that really doesn't matter, right?

From what I unfortunately had to learn through my own personal experiences, the brain just has to be rattled inside your skull (quick snap of the neck) to be concussed. So you don't have to necessarily take a shot to the head to get a concussion.
That's 100% correct.

Further, the guy doesn't wear a mouth guard which doesn't help his case to prevent a rattling if the jaw (more for KO purposes).

Old
02-23-2013, 10:35 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmxHockey View Post
That's 100% correct.

Further, the guy doesn't wear a mouth guard which doesn't help his case to prevent a rattling if the jaw (more for KO purposes).
What an idiot (Malkin).

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 02-23-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Flat Stanley

So is this another star that's "just one concussion or head hit away from retirement" according to the main board?

Damn, that's disappointing, I hope he will be okay and the Penguins do NOT rush him back into the lineup, let him rest, if his season is over, it's over.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

This. (what EoO said above) We'll easily make the playoffs and go one and out anyway.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Pitt's Best #87 #66

It's kind of heart-breaking. Hope he gets well soon. Though this might be out of place but depending on Malkin's status, do you think we go harder for O'Reilly (especially since we have been rumored to be interested anyways)?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:42 AM
FDBluth

Bad news. That injury did not look good.

The NHL game is seriously a whole lot of, pardon my french, cluster-****ing right now. It's too fast and too dangerous and guys are too big. The ice size needs to increase and the weapon-style equipment needs to go.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:51 AM
Sorry

Old
02-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Terrapin

Remember how we were all *****ing about Sid and Geno not taking the puck to the net, but peeling off and looking for cross-passes?

Anyway, this sucks. But this isn't going to be another Sid drama. The play looked bad, but he wasn't knocked out, was able to skate off, etc. How long was Letang out w/ his? I'd lay money Geno's back within 3-4 weeks.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
i didnt mean to sound dramatic btw. he could be back in a week, who knows.
I wouldn't have him back in a month with how much force he hit with. That's if it's a mild concussion. Geno had two movements that are concerning, the whiplash and the side of his head hitting off the boards, two totally separate directions.

I'd say a month and that's just the starting point. Anything less and I would label this teams doctors negligible.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Remember how we were all *****ing about Sid and Geno not taking the puck to the net, but peeling off and looking for cross-passes?

Anyway, this sucks. But this isn't going to be another Sid drama. The play looked bad, but he wasn't knocked out, was able to skate off, etc. How long was Letang out w/ his? I'd lay money Geno's back within 3-4 weeks.
Yeah, at least when the play happened they took him off the ice for the night. Crosby was done in by the second hit. A 'normal' concussion doesn't usually take over a year to recover from.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Bylsma is about to speak. I guess we'll find out if it's UBI or if they'll say something substantial.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

We've seen Stevens concuss players without any contact to the head just from the shock of the collision at high speed (i.e. Malkin slamming into the boards). So no, it doesn't matter if his head made contact with anything or not.

I hope he gets better soon. Obviously with Crosby's concussion we're all super paranoid but this doesn't mean he's out long term or going to have long term effects from it. If anything, this organization is going to be incredibly careful with dealing concussions. I hope it's just minor and they they're taking extra precaution with it. I'd rather have him miss a month and get completely healthy than be back at it next week. Thankfully this isn't the NFL.

Old
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Bylsma is about to speak. I guess we'll find out if it's UBI or if they'll say something substantial.
Do you have a link to that?

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Man.. the Sid drama really changed how people look at concussions on this board. Lots of overreactions.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:06 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Man.. the Sid drama really changed how people look at concussions on this board. Lots of overreactions.
Can you really blame us? His head snapping back looked brutal too.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Hope he gets well soon from the panther fan base.
Nice thoughts from the Panther fan base.

There is however, some dark irony coming from "Adam Graves," who was infamous for his famous hack to Mario's hands way back when.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post

Sid wasn't knocked out either, and what was more importantly disgusting was that no one went to help him at all. He skated back to the bench after being down and the refs didn't even acknowledge him and just skated up the ice while being right there and should have blown the play dead. Crosby gets up slowly and skates to the bench hunched over.

You don't brush this stuff off anymore. Your timeline is best case scenario.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:09 AM
black charger

Quote:

if it does ever happen to you I don't think you will be saying over-reaction again.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:10 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Do you have a link to that?
no links:
Quote:
Bylsma declined to say whether Malkin has had neuro cognitive concussion test. Malkin is not hospitalized. #Penguins

Malkin officially out tomorrow. No timeline yet.

Bylsma: Malkin has been ruled out for Sunday. Still being evaluated. Following NHL protocol. #Penguins
Via Yohe and Shelly

Old
02-23-2013, 11:11 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Sid isn't the only player to miss substantial time, and Geno's head had more whip than an 80s Madonna video.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:12 AM
PensFanSince1989

Well, just got to hope its nothing like Crosby's experience with Concussions. Everyone will go through them differently.

On a team related note, if They believe Malkin is going to be out for awhile, I'd like to see them move Neal up with Crosby. Otherwise, keep the Kunitz -Crosby-Dupuis line together and use Sutter as a place holder for that 2nd line center position.

Get well soon Geno.

Closed Thread