HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 10:06 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I see him doing something to acquire a skill C and skill W either way because there's no guarntee of Malkin's health throughout the playoffs even if he comes back.

IMO we're going to unload some key assets. Just a question of to which team(s). You go through 3 years of these serious injuries to star players and the only conclusion you can draw after losing 3 first round playoffs is, you need more stars. Fill the bottom 6 with less expensive, home-grown players... and load 'em up on the Top 6 for as many years as you can keep em. Just expect you might only have one star around for 2 or 3 years, then you have to go get another one. Such is life under the Cap.
I think Shero will wait to see how Sutter & Jeffrey perform in their new roles while Malkin is out before he tries to acquire a center.

When you think about it, Cullen would be very useful right now given how versatile he is playing wing or center, and given his experience. I see Shero taking a jab at acquiring him soon but I just hope he ends up expanding the deal a little to get Seto instead of Bouchard. We have enough players with concussion histories on our team and he wouldn't last against a playoff series against the Bruins or Flyers. No thanks.

Boyckuk will probably need to go if he were to get a W & C by the way.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:06 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
All blockbuster jokes aside, I see him doing something to acquire a skill C and skill W either way, because there's no guarntee of Malkin's health throughout the playoffs even if he comes back. This puts us in too precarious a situation, even going into next year.

IMO we're going to unload some key assets on D and maybe even a Kunitz type, in order to get a huge upgrade. Just a question of to which team(s). You go through 3 years of these serious injuries to star players and the only conclusion you can draw after losing 3 first round playoffs is, you need more stars. Fill the bottom 6 with less expensive, home-grown players... and load 'em up on the Top 6 for as many years as you can keep em. Just expect you might only have one star around for 2 or 3 years, then you have to go get another one. Such is life under the Cap.
We don't have the assets to bring in a star caliber player...maybe a Horton type player but not a legitimate star like Perry.

I'm honestly wondering what it would take to bring in Horton right now, clearly not as much as 3 years ago, but it would still cost a bit.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:07 AM
mpp9

We'll be fine with Sutter and Jeffrey to fill the void. ROR is a target if he fits in our lineup with Geno. Don think this injury changes much.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:08 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
We don't have the assets to bring in a star caliber player...maybe a Horton type player but not a legitimate star like Perry.

I'm honestly wondering what it would take to bring in Horton right now, clearly not as much as 3 years ago, but it would still cost a bit.
I don't see it happening given that the Bruins are looking for offense and are in a win-now mode. I really like Horton though. Once again, another player with a major concussion history

Old
02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
All blockbuster jokes aside, I see him doing something to acquire a skill C and skill W either way, because there's no guarntee of Malkin's health throughout the playoffs even if he comes back. This puts us in too precarious a situation, even going into next year.

IMO we're going to unload some key assets on D and maybe even a Kunitz type, in order to get a huge upgrade. Just a question of to which team(s). You go through 3 years of these serious injuries to star players and the only conclusion you can draw after losing 3 first round playoffs is, you need more stars. Fill the bottom 6 with less expensive, home-grown players... and load 'em up on the Top 6 for as many years as you can keep em. Just expect you might only have one star around for 2 or 3 years, then you have to go get another one. Such is life under the Cap.
By blockbuster trade, I believe you're implying a bunch of players involved in a deal rather than 1 big fish?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:10 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I think it would be dumb for the pens to trade for any big rent a players for the short term if geno is out going into the playoffs. Were not a cup contender without geno.
I agree with you completely, but let's be real, anyone would take a chance on Perry rather than on O'Reilly, because Geno's coming back no matter how long it takes. O'Reilly is not the winger we need. Perry is the scoring winger that would look great on our team, right hand shot and a right winger. Pretty sure he'd sign here if he was dealt here, especially playing with Sid and Geno....I know it sounds like the Hossa drama, but I feel Perry would be a much better fit than O'Reilly. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you, but Perry is clearly the better player for the team.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:11 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I don't see it happening given that the Bruins are looking for offense and are in a win-now mode. I really like Horton though. Once again, another player with a major concussion history
True, but apparently its hard to find a good player to deal for who hasn't had a major injury.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
By blockbuster trade, I believe you're implying a bunch of players involved in a deal rather than 1 big fish?
I think his example included Landeskog I also don't think he was being serious

Old
02-23-2013, 10:14 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
True, but apparently its hard to find a good player to deal for who hasn't had a major injury.
Unless the player is/was underperforming or doesn't want to extend his contract... like Kulemin, Seto, Stewart, Perry, Getzlaf, Kessel... (just examples but I'm not implying that I want all of these guys)

Old
02-23-2013, 10:15 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

If there's one player I'd target and through in all the chips to acquire should be become available, it would be Matt Duchene. He'd be dynamite with Sid. Electrifying.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:17 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

In all honesty I can see Ray targetting another experienced rental to fill that void on the wing. Not someone in his mid-late 20's like Perry that will require major assets in order to acquire, and will likely be looking for a long-term deal himself this summer.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:23 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
If there's one player I'd target and through in all the chips to acquire should be become available, it would be Matt Duchene. He'd be dynamite with Sid. Electrifying.
Dude...no way we can do that...here's what it would take at the least:

Niskanen
2013 1st round pick
Maata/Harrington
Bluger
Kuenhackl
Possibly Bennett
TK

for

Matt Duchene
Kobasew
4th round pick

Maybe without Bennett and Harrington it appeals to Shero...but come on, he's a third overall pick, they aren't just going to give him away...I would love him on the team, but way too overpriced even if he isn't performing up to his potential.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:24 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:

Niskanen
2013 1st round pick
Maata/Harrington
Bluger
Kuenhackl
Possibly Bennett
TK

for

Matt Duchene
Kobasew
4th round pick

Maybe without Bennett and Harrington it appeals to Shero...but come on, he's a third overall pick, they aren't just going to give him away...I would love him on the team, but way too overpriced even if he isn't performing up to his potential.
That's not enough, they aren't looking to trade Duchene.

[You'd likely have to go to Letang for Duchene, and even then I don't think they do it, because of their forward/center situation]

Old
02-23-2013, 10:25 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:

Niskanen
2013 1st round pick
Maata/Harrington
Bluger
Kuenhackl
Possibly Bennett
TK

for

Matt Duchene
Kobasew
4th round pick

He was struggling last year and I recall them cosidering the possibility of moving him. I realize that the price would be steep but we have the spare young D prospects they seek. Doesn't hurt to shed a few to get a young proven commodity. He would undoubtedly be Crosby's Neal.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:25 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
That's not enough, they will never trade Duchene.

[You'd likely have to go to Letang for Duchene, and even then I don't think they do it, because of their forward/center situation]
That's exactly where I was getting at, no way in hell we can afford him.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Saints11

Now is when you find out if the ROR or Cullen rumors were true. If no moves are made, leave Sid's line as is, elevate Sutter between Bennett and Neal. The choice becomes Vitale or Jeffrey between Cooke and Kennedy, or Glass and Adams.......Problem the cupboard is bare on the farm.......or we can go with a line of all our young D

Old
02-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Pigs On The Wing

What about Vinny Prospal? He could play center and move to wing when Malkin comes back.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:31 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

With Eaton being as close as you can get to being signed by Shero, I see the possibility of moving one of our D for a forward being even more plausible.

I just hope it ends up being a mini-bandaid or a move out of desperation that we'll end up regretting.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:33 AM
leafspensfan

Quote:
With Eaton being as close as you can get to being signed by Shero, I see the possibility of moving one of our D for a forward being even more plausible.

I just hope it ends up being a mini-bandaid or a move out of desperation that we'll end up regretting.
Wait, I'm confused. You want to make a move that we'll regret?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Saints11

Prospal is old and over. Hey, how about the old, 3rd line center upgrade we failed to acquire last year, Gaustad, Nashville is always looking for PMD
defenseman?

Old
02-23-2013, 10:38 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
Prospal is old and over. Hey, how about the old, 3rd line center upgrade we failed to acquire last year, Gaustad, Nashville is always looking for POS defenseman?
Columbus fans in the trade board were saying Prospal was worth a 1st+. After unrolling my eyes, I moved on.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Saints11

Columbus fans are, we'll Columbus fans...they can't understand why the team colors aren't Scarlett and grey!

Old
02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Wait, I'm confused. You want to make a move that we'll regret?
LOL, I meant I just hope it DOESN'T end up being a mini-bandaid or a move out of desperation that we'll end up regretting.

LOL, Sorry.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints11 View Post
Columbus fans are, we'll Columbus fans...they can't understand why the team colors aren't Scarlett and grey!
Had to Google that reference.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Looks like they've found their new winger and center:

http://instagram.com/p/WFLUk5upF8/

Closed Thread