HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Pigems*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
I think Bergevin wants to see how he does this season before making up his mind on what to offer him.
So you don't think MB will lock him up before seasons end? I can't see DD hitting free agency. Is he an rfa or ufa if he does?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Pigems*

Note: Pacioretty claims DD as having the best vision of any player he's ever played with and credits DD for much of his own success both with Mtl and Ham. He also said DD is who turned him into a goal scorer.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Frankenheimer

RFA, way to early to make a call on that one. If he has similar production as last year + strong playoff performance, he will probably be signed for something substantial.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Frankenheimer

I agree, DD has been making beautiful passes to Patches and other players the last few games. He's temporarily shut up the haters.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Pigems*

So if he is rfa MB won't sign him long term then like he wouldn't with subban

Old
02-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Frankenheimer

I think this would be his second RFA contract so not the same situation. Not sure of the number of years left in RFA status. Might go to arbitration. We should let the cap experts weigh in on this one.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
I think Bergevin wants to see how he does this season before making up his mind on what to offer him.
I would think so to. He is RFA, so there is no urgency. And there a lot
of questions about where he fits on the team going forward.

That being said, he is underpaid relative to his contribution now. And
certainly last year. So if they see him in a similar role, I would imagine
around 2 mil x3 years. But maybe the new CBA will impact players like
DD negatively.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:29 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
Note: Pacioretty claims DD as having the best vision of any player he's ever played with and credits DD for much of his own success both with Mtl and Ham. He also said DD is who turned him into a goal scorer.
It's not like Pacioretty played with many talented centers.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
In an attempt to boost DD you insult him by comparing him to Riberio's case. DD is all class and character.

I'm starting to think that if someone cannot see that the lack of appreciation for DD is based heavily on him being 5'6'', perpetuating the stereotypical Habs 'smurf', they are purposely ignoring it...
If people have a problem with small player, why poiting a productive one? There is another small foward on this team who bring a lot less and take the place at the wing and on the PP of others.

Last edited by Maelpj*: 02-23-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old
02-23-2013, 11:34 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I see an Alex Burrows type discount. Montreal is the team that gave him a chance to make the NHL ... no other team really was stepping up to give him a chance (I think the Isles did briefly but not certain). Montreal has been very good to him.

I could see him finishing around 30-points this year; we should be able to get him for $15M/5-years which doesn't seem unreasonable. If he slumps harder, you should be able to get him dirt cheap ~$2M. If he goes on a tear, that's what worries me. I'm a huge DD fan and while I think his defensive problems are overblown, he's definitely no Plekanec. Even if he finished with 40-points, I'm not sure I'd go over $3.5M-$4M.
I don't see how you can call $4.5M per year for 4 yrs a discount...

Old
02-23-2013, 11:35 AM
Habs Junkie

Desharnais will not be back next season.

Patrick Roy has said that he spoke to Bergevin about this issue and he knows that DD is too small and the odd man out. Only thing is it will be the most difficult decision as GM to date for him, but he knows in order to have a winning line up DD does not belong as one of the top centers.

And what Pacioretty said about DD: What do you expect him to answer? French media shoving microphones in his face asking him about DD all the time. He doesn't want to cause controversy. Pacioretty has always been a solid player without DD.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:35 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
In an attempt to boost DD you insult him by comparing him to Riberio's case. DD is all class and character.

I'm starting to think that if someone cannot see that the lack of appreciation for DD is based heavily on him being 5'6'', perpetuating the stereotypical Habs 'smurf', they are purposely ignoring it...
Gallagher is small too, but is loved around here.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:36 AM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Gallagher is small too, but is loved around here.
Because he's a winger and not soft. And he's 20 years old.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
I agree, DD has been making beautiful passes to Patches and other players the last few games. He's temporarily shut up the haters.
No, just brings up a serious questions...can DD put up points without Pacioretty and there's also the whole perpetuation of the smurf stereotype. Is it a good idea to add DD to long term plans if it means that your lineup options are restricted right away with the need to put your best LW with him? Say what you want about 'haters' but IMO these are legitimate concerns one needs answers for before committing long term and molding the team after DD.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:37 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Because he's a winger and not soft.
Desharnais is soft ?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post

Patrick Roy has said that he spoke to Bergevin about this issue and he knows that DD is too small and the odd man out. Only thing is it will be the most difficult decision as GM to date for him, but he knows in order to have a winning line up DD does not belong as one of the top centers.

And what Pacioretty said about DD: What do you expect him to answer? French media shoving microphones in his face asking him about DD all the time. He doesn't want to cause controversy. Pacioretty has always been a solid player without DD.
The top centers should be Plekanec and Galchenyuk next season, no doubt, but I wouldn't be opposed to have Derharnais on the top 6 as a playmaker winger. It's not like we have too many quality wingers anyway.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:38 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Patrick Roy has said that he spoke to Bergevin about this issue and he knows that DD is too small and the odd man out.
Wait, where was this said? on L'Antichambre?

Oh and this thread is going to derail within a few hours I predict.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:

Pacioretty has bean at his best when he palys with DD. Never had much success with any other center.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
We need him as long as Galchenyuk does'nt steal his job.
I can see this happening sooner rather then later

Old
02-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Undertakerqc

Personnaly i think that if we ever hope to be a contender, both DD and Plekanec need to be gone. Way too small.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Wait, where was this said? on L'Antichambre?

Oh and this thread is going to derail within a few hours I predict.
Why do you predict this?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:

Do you have a link for his?

02-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
Why do you predict this?
Because I know this board. You have hardcore DD haters and you have hardcore DD lovers.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Personnaly i think that if we ever hope to be a contender, both DD and Plekanec need to be gone. Way too small.
Pleky is almost 30 and a will be a great 3rd line center for years to come once Eller and gally pass him. No need to move Pleky.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Pigems*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Because I know this board. You have hardcore DD haters and you have hardcore DD lovers.
So it seems. I like him but don't see how he fits next season. MB will take alot of flak for moving him though

Closed Thread