HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Terrapin

vCash: 500
I get a kick out of you guys that still hope and pray that the Pens make a complete transformation into the Swedish Olympic team. Just a bunch of small, weak, fast guys running around finessing their way to 1st round beatdowns in the playoffs. The good news is, you're getting your wish. The bad news is, you aren't bright enough to understand why our stars continue to get knocked out, and why we haven't made it past the 1st rd in years.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I get a kick out of you guys that still hope and pray that the Pens make a complete transformation into the Swedish Olympic team. Just a bunch of small, weak, fast guys running around finessing their way to 1st round beatdowns in the playoffs. The good news is, you're getting your wish. The bad news is, you aren't bright enough to understand why our stars continue to get knocked out, and why we haven't made it past the 1st rd in years.
Are you going to acknowledge that Horton still got concussed despite the all-mighty Boston team and their toughness? Should Godard have been laying against the boards to shield Malkin from hitting them?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
Didn't Lupul get hit with a puck?
which is just as likely to be stopped by a goon as the hit that hurt Malkin

Old
02-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
there is a difference between toughness and fighting people. I want the team to get tougher. I don't even mind them fighting more. But to think it would prevent injuries like we saw last night is just plain wrong. That was as basic of a hockey play as you will ever see. Nobody is going to stop making basic hockey plays against our stars no matter who else is on the ice with them.

Had Geno been taken out by a dirty hit or someone taking a run, you might have a point. But he wasn't. Your argument has no relevance to the situation at hand. Neal and Bennett could have been wielding pistols last night and that play still would have happened.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
there is a difference between toughness and fighting people. I want the team to get tougher. I don't even mind them fighting more. But to think it would prevent injuries like we saw last night is just plain wrong.
No, clearly if you don't want Shero to sign three goons right this second you want them to stop hitting. If you don't want Rupp-Crosby-Ott out there every shift than you're a *****.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:47 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Doesn't matter when you have a circus freak like Chara on your team.
I spoke too soon. We do have a circus freak on our roster.

His name is BearManPig!!

Old
02-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I spoke too soon. We do have a circus freak on our roster.

His name is BearManPig!!

self quotes are the best quotes
Quote:
heh indeed

Old
02-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
question. Do you honestly believe that the hit that injured Malkin would not have occurred if we had some more goons on the team?
I think Malkin's hit was questionable. He lost an edge, was in a vulnerable position, and the dude shoved him into the boards. Was it dirty? I'd say it was borderline. Again, guy in vulnerable position, another guy takes advantage of it.

You're one of the guys that apparently confuses toughness with goons. Would having either prevented Malkin's injury? Doubtful. Would they have prevented Letangs consussion last year? Maybe. Could they prevent future cheap and questionable shots? It couldn't really hurt could it? Would we be a bottom-dwellar if we had Chris Neil or Colton Orr in our lineup instead of Tyler Kennedy, Craig Adams, Zack Boychuk, Richard Park, Chris Conner, etc?

Is it all a big unfortunate series of coincidences that our star players keep getting significant injuries? Is it a coincidence that when our stars take shots, nobody EVER has their back? Forget stars for a minute. There is no response for anything, ever on this team. Again, you guys may hate the physical part of the game. I already know you hate fighting in the hockey. But since both still exist, and since we have serious generational talents on this team, wouldn't it make sense to have some guys around that will take exception to this kind of ****?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:51 AM
redsono93

What would it take to get both Penner and Ryder? Ryder would be great with Sid as a goal scorer. Penner although lazy in regular season kicks in another gear in Playoffs. Penner Crosby Ryder is a great line for playoffs and wouldn't need to give up kitchen sink for Iggy or Perry.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Flat Stanley

No Penner, how about Ryder and Morrow.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
No, clearly if you don't want Shero to sign three goons right this second you want them to stop hitting. If you don't want Rupp-Crosby-Ott out there every shift than you're a *****.
Just keep filling the roster with wimps, and keep wondering to yourself why we've only won one cup with 3 of the best players in the world

Old
02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
redsono93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
No Penner, how about Ryder and Morrow.
Always liked Morrow is he healthy? I just want Playoff warriors worry about Perry when he's a UFA. My fear is Iggy and Perry we would have to give up so much like we did Hossa only to see them leave. Any veteran Dman that are playoff warriors we can target as a 5th or 6th Defensemen?

Old
02-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Here's a prime example of somebody sticking up for Malkin. But you can't ice 6 Deryk Engellands.

We can ice Engo, Big Mac, Orr, whoever, and I still believe Gudbranson will make that play on Malkin every single time.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Just keep filling the roster with wimps, and keep wondering to yourself why we've only won one cup with 3 of the best players in the world
How did Horton get concussed?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
there is a difference between toughness and fighting people. I want the team to get tougher. I don't even mind them fighting more. But to think it would prevent injuries like we saw last night is just plain wrong. That was as basic of a hockey play as you will ever see. Nobody is going to stop making basic hockey plays against our stars no matter who else is on the ice with them.

Had Geno been taken out by a dirty hit or someone taking a run, you might have a point. But he wasn't. Your argument has no relevance to the situation at hand. Neal and Bennett could have been wielding pistols last night and that play still would have happened.
I agree with you on this. Having Macintyre in the lineup likely wouldn't have prevented that. Having him in the lineup more than maybe a few games a year is insane. At least Laraque could play a little. But we've got way too many guys that are redundant in their weakness. And I don't think it's a coincidence that since we've lost all size, toughness, and nastiness, our stars are getting injured and our playoffs are short-lived. But if anyone can prove that wrong, I'm all ears.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I think Malkin's hit was questionable. He lost an edge, was in a vulnerable position, and the dude shoved him into the boards. Was it dirty? I'd say it was borderline. Again, guy in vulnerable position, another guy takes advantage of it.

You're one of the guys that apparently confuses toughness with goons. Would having either prevented Malkin's injury? Doubtful. Would they have prevented Letangs consussion last year? Maybe. Could they prevent future cheap and questionable shots? It couldn't really hurt could it? Would we be a bottom-dwellar if we had Chris Neil or Colton Orr in our lineup instead of Tyler Kennedy, Craig Adams, Zack Boychuk, Richard Park, Chris Conner, etc?

Is it all a big unfortunate series of coincidences that our star players keep getting significant injuries? Is it a coincidence that when our stars take shots, nobody EVER has their back? Forget stars for a minute. There is no response for anything, ever on this team. Again, you guys may hate the physical part of the game. I already know you hate fighting in the hockey. But since both still exist, and since we have serious generational talents on this team, wouldn't it make sense to have some guys around that will take exception to this kind of ****?
I don't hate the physical part of the game. I would love more physical players. I absolutely hate the leaguewide need for retaliation after clean hockey plays. I don't even hate fighting. I love a good scrap between guys when it actually means something. Two guys actually upset going at it is great. This is the minority of fights in the NHL though. I don't hate beating up a guy who did something cheap or even just someone taking constant runs. I don't think it prevents the cheap shots very much, but it does probably have some effect on the constant runs. But only if its someone the guy will actually have to worry about. Cal Clutterbuck won't stop hitting Sid or Geno because MacIntyre is on the bench because he can just skate away from him. You need actual hockey players who can hit them back or hit their own players back. You need guys like Glass or Neil who can actually play hockey. I guarantee Matt Cooke would be more likely to stop hitting someone if he knew it meant the other team was going to start hitting our guys than if he knew someone was going to punch him a few times.

As far as preventing injuries, I just don't think it helps. I really don't think many injuries come from plays that would be prevented by these types of guys. The guys making the hits either don't do them often enough that its something they even think about; or they just plain don't care. I don't even remember the name of the guy who hit Malkin. He doesn't have a reputation for doing this stuff. He wasn't out there trying to hurt anybody. There's no way he lets up on the hit because we have a tough guy on the ice because he wasn't even considering that situation. He was making a hockey play. And then look at Kronwall or Orpik. They are going to hit someone if the opportunity is there. It doesn't matter who else is on the ice, they are doing what they do. Then you have guys like Chris Neil or Matt Cooke who just plain don't care if they get punched a few times. They are also going to do what they do.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 02-23-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 12:04 PM
madinsomniac

Outside of the clutch and grab era, goons do nothing except make a fanbase feel better when they retailate for a play. The idea that they can protect players has been hogwash ever since the leagues payroll edged towards millions of dollars. Put an ad in the paper for a guy who is willing to do morally questionably acts and get punched in the face every other day for a decade and offer a million a year in compensation and you will get a ton of responses. Look at Cooke, who was a dirty player until the league and his team both basicly threatened his paycheck... If we are trading for wingers, we had best target more skill rather than another guy who wont be dressing for the playoffs.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
How did Horton get concussed?
Why do you keep comparing Nathan Horton to Sid, Geno, and Letang. Are they all similar in talent in your eyes or something? Aaron Asham got concussed last year, and oddly enough, there was no real media circus following it daily. I wonder why he didn't get any attention and Sid did?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
I agree with you on this. Having Macintyre in the lineup likely wouldn't have prevented that. Having him in the lineup more than maybe a few games a year is insane. At least Laraque could play a little. But we've got way too many guys that are redundant in their weakness. And I don't think it's a coincidence that since we've lost all size, toughness, and nastiness, our stars are getting injured and our playoffs are short-lived. But if anyone can prove that wrong, I'm all ears.
I agree its hurt us in the playoffs. Though I don't think guys like Laraque or Orr are the answer. Even Asham. I think guys like Clutterbuck or Neil are the kind of toughness we could use. Guys like Stewart or Malone.

I don't agree that it would prevent injuries. I just don't think players are afraid to get punched a few times.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
I don't hate the physical part of the game. I would love more physical players. I absolutely hate the leaguewide need for retaliation after clean hockey plays. I don't even hate fighting. I love a good scrap between guys when it actually means something. Two guys actually upset going at it is great. This is the minority of fights in the NHL though. I don't hate beating up a guy who did something cheap or even just someone taking constant runs. I don't think it prevents the cheap shots very much, but it does probably have some effect on the constant runs. But only if its someone the guy will actually have to worry about. Cal Clutterbuck won't stop hitting Sid or Geno because MacIntyre is on the bench because he can just skate away from him. You need actual hockey players who can hit them back or hit their own players back. You need guys like Glass or Asham who can actually play hockey. I guarantee Matt Cooke would be more likely to stop hitting someone if he knew it meant the other team was going to start hitting our guys than if he knew someone was going to punch him a few times.

As far as preventing injuries, I just don't think it helps. I really don't think many injuries come from plays that would be prevented by these types of guys. The guys making the hits either don't do them often enough that its something they even think about; or they just plain don't care. I don't even remember the name of the guy who hit Malkin. He doesn't have a reputation for doing this stuff. He wasn't out there trying to hurt anybody. There's no way he lets up on the hit because we have a tough guy on the ice because he wasn't even considering that situation. He was making a hockey play. And then look at Kronwall or Orpik. They are going to hit someone if the opportunity is there. It doesn't matter who else is on the ice, they are doing what they do. Then you have guys like Chris Neil or Matt Cooke who just plain don't care if they get punched a few times. They are also going to do what they do.
Myself and a few others have been complaining about the lack of physicality on this team all year. Last night's incident IMO wasn't nearly as bad as the lack of response in Philly the other night (specifically Malking getting crosschecked 20 straight times, and Rinaldo ****ing w/ Letang). But eventually, the more shots a player takes, the more likely an injury is. And last night was just a culmination of the overall decline in toughness on this team over the last year. Should the entire team have jumped that guy last night? No. Should someone have maybe thought about actually throwing a hit before or after that? Apparently not.

And as someone else said last night, it's pretty telling that Florida didn't dress Parros last night. Shows that we are not even remotely tough to play against.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Myself and a few others have been complaining about the lack of physicality on this team all year. Last night's incident IMO wasn't nearly as bad as the lack of response in Philly the other night (specifically Malking getting crosschecked 20 straight times, and Rinaldo ****ing w/ Letang). But eventually, the more shots a player takes, the more likely an injury is. And last night was just a culmination of the overall decline in toughness on this team over the last year. Should the entire team have jumped that guy last night? No. Should someone have maybe thought about actually throwing a hit before or after that? Apparently not.
This wasn't a culmination of anything. It was an unfortunate result to a play. Had we beat up Rinaldo and Coutorier against Philly, this play still happens. No doubt in my mind.

Quote:
And as someone else said last night, it's pretty telling that Florida didn't dress Parros last night. Shows that we are not even remotely tough to play against.
Or it shows that they felt the need to dress their best hockey players.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
I agree its hurt us in the playoffs. Though I don't think guys like Laraque or Orr are the answer. Even Asham. I think guys like Clutterbuck or Neil are the kind of toughness we could use. Guys like Stewart or Malone.

I don't agree that it would prevent injuries. I just don't think players are afraid to get punched a few times.
Oh I agree. Having a Neil or Clutterbuck instead of TK, and having a Stewart on the top line would make us menacing to play against. But this roster as is should be grittier than we've been showing. Again, Glass led the league in hits last year didn't he? I honestly haven't seen him throw a big check yet this year. Engo isn't as aggressive. Cooke is completely neutered. Adams hasn't been physical, and even Vitale hasn't jarred anyone this year. Something is up with this team. Reminds me of the final game in Slapshot where Charlestown just keeps taking and taking.

Yeah, maybe, maybe not. Cooke changed his game after his suspension. But he didn't seem to be quite as crazy after Kane knocked him out cold in a fight. I'd like to think that getting your ass kicked in front of 16,000 people would be a deterrent for some guys.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
This wasn't a culmination of anything. It was an unfortunate result to a play. Had we beat up Rinaldo and Coutorier against Philly, this play still happens. No doubt in my mind.

Or it shows that they felt the need to dress their best hockey players.
Again, are our best players getting concussions all unfortunate results to plays? How many more 'coincidences' are we going to suffer through before we beef up this roster?

It shows me that we have no ****-stirrers, agitators, fighters, or big hitters. Did you see that video someone just posted of Engo sticking up for Geno? did you also notice how long ago that was? Comrie and Letestu were on the ice!

Old
02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Then we should replace the coach if he isn't utilizing the players properly.
But if we replace the coach, a lot of other changes will have to happen. Because we've built this team for this coach, which is a mistake I might add.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
I only know of two.

Closed Thread