HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Coffee Shop Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Of the actual top 5, none have played more than 2 games. The only lesson there is one anyone looking at stats should already have learned: beware of small sample sizes.
Any stat is useless out of context.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Of the actual top 5, none have played more than 2 games. The only lesson there is one anyone looking at stats should already have learned: beware of small sample sizes.
Look at the post I posted next to it.

Eller have the WORST corsi of the Habs. Desharnais is the third best.

Those stats are complety useless, and the irony of trying to prove that Eller is better than Desharnais with this method is ridiculous.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:25 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post

Those stats are complety useless, and the irony of trying to prove that Eller is better than Desharnais with this method is ridiculous.
So it's useless until it fits your agenda?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:26 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Any stat is useless out of context.
Than why are most of the argument anti-DD pro-Eller are based on those useless stats?

Why, before I bring those say stats, people on this thread were using corsi as a proof that Eller face better competition than DD?

Double standard.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:26 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
A quick research would open your eyes on the useless of corsi.

He is the top 5 of the player with best corsi:

ANDREI LOKTIONOV
ANDY MIELE
BRANDON MASHINTER
DAVID BOOTH
MAX PACIORETTY

beside pac, there is no player on this top 5 who is a starter for his team.
I agree with you. Corsi is but one statistic in a long list of statistics.

Actually seeing a player on the ice is more reliable. Eller's inability to be patient with the puck and the resulting poor passing decisions are whats preventing him from progressing. Corsi does not measure that.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Roulin

edit: nvm, not my battle to fight. Every stat is one piece that can be used to form an opinion. If you don't want to use it in context and along with other tools, that's up to you.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:28 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
So it's useless until it fits your agenda?
Did you even read my reply? I said at the end those stats are useless.

Kaberle and Cole are leading the team with the Corsi, which is absurd. I'm not the one who bring these stats here first.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
edit: nvm, not my battle to fight.
Before you edited your post, you affirmed that nobody was trying to use corsi to prove that Eller was facing tougher opposition that DD. Let me show you what I was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Although the somewhat small sample size so far, there is still a significant difference in Relative Corsi Quality of Competition. Desharnais is last among forwards with -0.090 while Plekanec stands in at 2nd with 1.721 (fyi, Bourque is 1st, Gionta is 3rd). Eller is in between them with 0.856. Meanwhile, Galchenyuk, with 0.407 ranks above Desharnais and behind Eller in terms of competition.

In terms of quality of competition amongst centers, it stands as Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, Desharnais.
Quote:
Interesting. It seemed to me that Desharnais was playing against better competition to start the season, but it doesn't surprise me that it changed after his start. Explains a lot, and credit to Therrien for adjusting.

This also shows why calling a line "first", "second" and "third" based entirely on their point production is deceptive. In the modern NHL you need multiple lines that do a little bit of everything.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Than why are most of the argument anti-DD pro-Eller are based on those useless stats?

Why, before I bring those say stats, people on this thread were using corsi as a proof that Eller face better competition than DD?

Double standard.
Pine's post was talking about Relative Corsi Quality of Competition, as in a measure to contextualize corsi by looking at difficulity of matchups faced. It's flawed but IMO corsi is useless without looking at quality of competition.

Corsi doesn't measure quality of competition. That's why Scott Gomez had a great corsi two years ago. It means one thing, it means ability to keep posession. So it's not useless, it's just useless without context. In this case it tels us -

Kaberle played sheltered minutes.

Cole isn't as bad as people are saying, and playing in the offensive zone.

Desharnais is playing well, and playing in the offensive zone.

So no, nobody is using corsi to say anything about Eller. If you are going to dismiss a statistic, try to understand its purpose first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Do the Corsi numbers take into account poor passes, rushed passes and missed opportunites?
Turnovers play a part in posession, yes.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Before you edited your post, you affirmed that nobody was trying to use corsi to prove that Eller was facing tougher opposition that DD. Let me show you what I was talking about.
QoC and Corsi On are very different stats. I can tell you from following these for years, QoC takes more games before settling into something reliable. Anyway, you are comparing apples to oranges. QoC uses Corsi, but is not the same.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:

So no, nobody is using corsi to say anything about Eller. If you are going to dismiss a statistic, try to understand its purpose first.

Turnovers play a part in posession, yes.
Hope you are joking. Read the post above you.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:40 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Hope you are joking. Read the post above you.
For the last time, nobody mentioned Corsi when talking about Eller. QoC is very different from Corsi.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
For the last time, nobody mentioned Corsi when talking about Eller. QoC is very different from Corsi.
They are still based on Corsi.

Neither are relevant to the comparaison between Eller and DD.

A conversation about the way those 2 play on the ice would be more pertinent than all the stats people try to bring in the debat DD-Eller.

Stats at 5v5, Qoc, corsi, whatever. I'm still waiting for those valid argument about Eller being a better center , at this very moment ,than DD

Old
02-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
If you can't understand how a third line player play against less competition than a first line player, discussing any further is pretty pointless.

Here is what Max had to say about DD:

“He basically taught me how to score goals by setting me up. I can admit I wasn’t a goal-scorer until probably my third year pro,” he said.

Desharnais, who will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season, topped the 60-point mark last year, yet he is often derided as too small and not dynamic enough to be a top-line centre.

Pacioretty thinks that’s nuts.

“When people doubt him, I’m like ‘bite your tongue, it’s coming’. He’s so good. Only true hockey people can understand just how good he is. I’ve never seen anyone who sees the ice the way he does,” Pacioretty added. “I want people to keep doubting him because that’s what keeps him going.”

There is a solid chemistry between the two, but no for whatever reason, we HAVE to break this and put Eller with Pac. Cause he is something REALLY special right!

Oh and by the way, you are using stats at 5 vs 5 to prove that Eller is better than DD... What about watching the game?

Galchenyuk have the most point at 5v5. Means he is the the better foward of the team right?

Kaberle have more point 5v5 than Markov...

Emelin and Gorges, more point at 5v5 than Subban...

Bourque more point at 5v5 than Plekanec..

What does it mean? The CH doesn't have superstar, but they have a bunch of good player. If a duo produce really well, you keep it like that. The number of the lines is not important, and if Eller is a good player, he will produce with Galchenyuk and Cole/prust.
The 5 on 5 points are there to prove one thing.....PP ice-time is crucial for a player's production., and i can put up a 1000 exemple if you want.

Not suggesting that one is better than other...as you do!!
Trying Eller is AN OPTION not AN OBLIGATION.

And for the Pacioretty's comments:
“It was a shock,” said Max Pacioretty, who was among the players who heard the news before captain Brian Gionta told the players prior to the start of training camp Sunday morning in Brossard. “I was sorry to hear it because he helped me a lot when I first came up. I played with him and Gio early in my career.”

Should we have keep Gomez???

Old
02-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post

And for the Pacioretty's comments:
“It was a shock,” said Max Pacioretty, who was among the players who heard the news before captain Brian Gionta told the players prior to the start of training camp Sunday morning in Brossard. “I was sorry to hear it because he helped me a lot when I first came up. I played with him and Gio early in my career.”

Should we have keep Gomez???
“He basically taught me how to score goals by setting me up. I can admit I wasn’t a goal-scorer until probably my third year pro. “When people doubt him, I’m like ‘bite your tongue, it’s coming’. He’s so good. Only true hockey people can understand just how good he is. I’ve never seen anyone who sees the ice the way he does,” Pacioretty added. “I want people to keep doubting him because that’s what keeps him going.”

and

“I was sorry to hear it because he helped me a lot when I first came up. I played with him and Gio early in my career.”

I Think there is a slight difference in the praise.

Eller might be an option. But why right now? DD-Pac are producing and helping the team, why the need to change that? An option is when aren't doing well. Do you think putting Eller with Pac gonna transform Pac into a 3goal per game scorer?

It should be about whether or not Gionta have is place with Pleky and Bourque. Galch or Eller might bring more to this duo than Gionta.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Et le But

Pacioretty never praised (or played with ) Plekanec, we bought out the wrong center.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
They are still based on Corsi.

Neither are relevant to the comparaison between Eller and DD.

A conversation about the way those 2 play on the ice would be more pertinent than all the stats people try to bring in the debat DD-Eller.

Stats at 5v5, Qoc, corsi, whatever. I'm still waiting for those valid argument about Eller being a better center , at this very moment ,than DD
By the way, i watch the games very closely

They are not the same type of players.
But here's ont valid arguments for you:

If DD doens't put up any points....he is useless!
Can't play defensively, can't play physical games, can't play anywhere but on a primarly offensive Line. That's a fact.

Eller can play anywhere....from second to 4th line, from wings to center.

DD is way better than Eller offensively....but that's about it!!

Old
02-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
By the way, i watch the games very closely

They are not the same type of players.
But here's ont valid arguments for you:

If DD doens't put up any points....he is useless!
Can't play defensively, can't play physical games, can't play anywhere but on a primarly offensive Line. That's a fact.

Eller can play anywhere....from second to 4th line, from wings to center.

DD is way better than Eller offensively....but that's about it!!
Yeah and that's what we need on our 2 first line. Goals.

At least 50% of offensive player are useless is they don't put up point.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:

Eller has one goal in his last 22 games. One. That projects to 4 over a standard 82 game season. Four.

Let the fanboys spin this one any way they want. And then laugh at them.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:12 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Lars is young, big, strong, team player, first round C, that is still developing. He has met success in, arguably, one of the worst teams for player development. The kid has something going for him IMO.

To the best of knowledge, I forget , the last time we had the level of skill Chucky brings to the ice was when we had "Sneaky Pete". That type of talent also builds a mindset for the rest of the team. Takes some time to adjust to but it makes everyone "better" after a while... He's 19 no less. I would not trade a single "O" prospect untill they play around Chucky. Just my .02

Old
02-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:

I agree, which is why Desharnais is in competition with Plekanec and Galchenyuk (long term) for those two top 6 centre spots, not Eller. Desharnais is the obvious odd man out, it's only a matter of time.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Eller has one goal in his last 22 games. One. That projects to 4 over a standard 82 game season. Four.

Has anyone been saying that we should get rid of DD to put Lars on the first or second line? Of course not.

Everyone has their role. In the grand scheme of things, Eller's a big two-way 3rd line center who is effective in that role. Desharnais is a top 6 centre who is average offensively and well below average defensively with respect to the expectations that come with the position of a 2C. Furthermore, we have someone who will, in all likelihood, will surpass DD in that role in Galchenyuk.

In the end, we can't afford to keep sheltering two lines and keep spoon-feeding them offensive opportunities. Because then, we're forced to play our fourth line a lot, and in a shutdown role, which results in an ineffective use of your personnel (as shown by Eller, Moen and Prust's poor corsi numbers). To put this into perspective, Plekanec also had a poor Corsi last year. Not because he's a bad player, but because he was asked to perform a difficult task with linemates who weren't up to the job. In the long term, those offensive opportunities will be given more and more to Galchenyuk if he develops as we all hope, at the expense of DD, and not Eller.

TL;DR: Why the **** are we arguing between DD and Eller when they don't compete for the same minutes or opportunities (OZ start %, PP time, etc.). The one who will compete with DD for those minutes will be Galchenyuk, and we all know who should (eventually) come out on top. DD is just a placeholder until Gally can stand on his own two feet, at which time he becomes 100% expendable.

Last edited by Playmaker09: 02-23-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post

I'll spin that for you....you wanna talk about goals?

Eller 16 goals last saeson with no PP time and about 14 minutes a games
DD 16 goals last season with top Powerplay time and 18 minutes a games

Is it right to assumed that Eller would have scored a couple of goals if he had top PP time as DD and 4 minutes a games more??

Anyway...did you know that DD didn't scored one goal in his last 11 games in season 2011-2012 and is didn't score in his first 6 games....17 games without a goals...top 6 center with major PP TIme

Old
02-23-2013, 04:05 PM
DAChampion

Quote:

You're confusing Corsi with Corsi Rel QoC.

Corsi is shots for versus shots against when the player is on the ice, including blocked and missed shots. It is not normalized for total ice time and is as such a useless statistic imo.

Corsi Rel QoC, is the average Corsi of the opposing players that a player plays against. It is normalized for total ice time.

Anyway, Corsi Rel QoC:
Plekanec +1.721
Eller +0.856
Galchenyuk +0.407
White +0.232
Desharnais -0.090

1) Can someone explain how they're all positive? Shouldn't the average Corsi Rel QoC be "0"? Is it because we play in a strong division?
2) The Corsi numbers show a challenge in playing Galchenyuk with Eller. Previously, Eller was playing tough minutes and Galchenyuk was playing easy minutes, and both make sense individually. When youu play them on the same line, you're switching the development strategy for both players by giving them intermediate minutes.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:42 PM
habsfanatics

Any stat that was as far off as this was for Gomez has some serious holes. I wouldn't consider it worthless though, but I wouldn't count it as being particularly telling.

Closed Thread