HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 - Around the League Games - Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2013, 12:59 PM
  #976
MTaylorJ1
Registered User
 
MTaylorJ1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
I have no problem as long as they do indeed turn it on for the play-offs..if this is their strategy then so be it but atleast we can see a difference in the way they are playing this year compared to the previous five. I will however have to deduct points off your fancard however.
The other thing to consider really is who are the physical players in the top 9 now? There's Lucic and...

The top 9 are almost to a man hard workers, and really I think their board play has been excellent. Some of the work the top 6 have done the past two games, on the road, to set up goals on the cycle, love that brand of hockey.

But as they look to fill that last top 9 spot, I think fit is crucial. A 20-25 goal guy could come into this system and completely flop, where as a 15-20 goal guy that brings a physical edge and will play CJ's disciplined game might be just what the doctor ordered. Unfortunately they were begging Jordan Caron to be that guy and thus far he's politely declined.

MTaylorJ1 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:18 PM
  #977
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: It's a dog's life
Country: United States
Posts: 41,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Wow, I had some left?
You dare call them like you see them, even if that means a little criticism...

WBC8 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
  #978
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: It's a dog's life
Country: United States
Posts: 41,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
The other thing to consider really is who are the physical players in the top 9 now? There's Lucic and...

The top 9 are almost to a man hard workers, and really I think their board play has been excellent. Some of the work the top 6 have done the past two games, on the road, to set up goals on the cycle, love that brand of hockey.

But as they look to fill that last top 9 spot, I think fit is crucial. A 20-25 goal guy could come into this system and completely flop, where as a 15-20 goal guy that brings a physical edge and will play CJ's disciplined game might be just what the doctor ordered. Unfortunately they were begging Jordan Caron to be that guy and thus far he's politely declined.
We need another big body, agreed. Just someone to create some room for Kelly and Peverley.

WBC8 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:24 PM
  #979
DOGSTARMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
But as they look to fill that last top 9 spot, I think fit is crucial. A 20-25 goal guy could come into this system and completely flop, where as a 15-20 goal guy that brings a physical edge and will play CJ's disciplined game might be just what the doctor ordered. Unfortunately they were begging Jordan Caron to be that guy and thus far he's politely declined.
This is why a guy like Tuomo Ruutu always seemed appealing. Can score some, can bang a lot. Of course he's not an option anymore, but somebody like that, or a slightly lesser version, would help in a few ways. Ryane Clowe is very appealing in this way but I doubt he ever gets to Boston. Michael Ryder is not quite that kind of player but is at least sturdy. Caron, yeah, wish he had panned out but that's either in the future or not at all. Don't see the internal option. Like you say, I don't want a pure finesse option unless he is a genuinely interesting offensive player/prospect and you just grab him because it's worth it.

DOGSTARMAN is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:36 PM
  #980
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Hits are up Lou. Two out of our 5 most willing fighters have concussion issues (Rhyme with _orton), and the shortened, condensed season almost dictates a different style of play. Last year they came out like gangbusters, took on everyone who wanted a shot at the champ, and very clearly had no gas in the tank for the playoffs. They're doing exactly what they should be doing. The regular season in hockey is meaningless if you're a team like the Bruins.
Horton is coming off of a concussion, Thornton suffered a concussion IN A FIGHT and McQuaid had major surgery that he wasn't supposed to be able to start the season after. The Bruins still have ten fights in 14 games (the least played in the entire league) which has them tied for tenth with six other teams. How many other teams have had a first line winger drop a legitimate NHL heavyweight like Lucic did to Carkner? The doom and gloom over team toughness if just unreal. Thornton lost one fight in large part because he's undersized but he's never had a problem with the 6'4", 230 pound heavyweights his entire career just the 6'8", 270 pound guy got him. If the Bruins don't have anybody that matches up with Scott I don't really care because I know Thornton matches just fine with every other heavyweight in the league just fine because he practically fought them all and I would say it's a safe bet Thornton would do a lot better in a rematch. The bottom line is you shouldn't let John Scott dictate what you do. If the Bruins were losing games and not getting in fights I'd be worried but they're the best team in the conference this season. Chris Bourque and Andrew Ference are my worries with this Bruins team, the lack of fighting is way down the list even well after Chara's play this season which has been below his standards.

bruinsfan46 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
  #981
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: It's a dog's life
Country: United States
Posts: 41,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Horton is coming off of a concussion, Thornton suffered a concussion IN A FIGHT and McQuaid had major surgery that he wasn't supposed to be able to start the season after. The Bruins still have ten fights in 14 games (the least played in the entire league) which has them tied for tenth with six other teams. How many other teams have had a first line winger drop a legitimate NHL heavyweight like Lucic did to Carkner? The doom and gloom over team toughness if just unreal. Thornton lost one fight in large part because he's undersized but he's never had a problem with the 6'4", 230 pound heavyweights his entire career just the 6'8", 270 pound guy got him. If the Bruins don't have anybody that matches up with Scott I don't really care because I know Thornton matches just fine with every other heavyweight in the league just fine because he practically fought them all and I would say it's a safe bet Thornton would do a lot better in a rematch. The bottom line is you shouldn't let John Scott dictate what you do. If the Bruins were losing games and not getting in fights I'd be worried but they're the best team in the conference this season. Chris Bourque and Andrew Ference are my worries with this Bruins team, the lack of fighting is way down the list even well after Chara's play this season which has been below his standards.
Maybe if it turns it up physically the rest of his game will come around? Chara has always known when to step up with a fight to get the team going or settle a score...Seems to be lacking there somwhat..

WBC8 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
  #982
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 20,849
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Horton is coming off of a concussion, Thornton suffered a concussion IN A FIGHT and McQuaid had major surgery that he wasn't supposed to be able to start the season after. The Bruins still have ten fights in 14 games (the least played in the entire league) which has them tied for tenth with six other teams. How many other teams have had a first line winger drop a legitimate NHL heavyweight like Lucic did to Carkner? The doom and gloom over team toughness if just unreal. Thornton lost one fight in large part because he's undersized but he's never had a problem with the 6'4", 230 pound heavyweights his entire career just the 6'8", 270 pound guy got him. If the Bruins don't have anybody that matches up with Scott I don't really care because I know Thornton matches just fine with every other heavyweight in the league just fine because he practically fought them all and I would say it's a safe bet Thornton would do a lot better in a rematch. The bottom line is you shouldn't let John Scott dictate what you do. If the Bruins were losing games and not getting in fights I'd be worried but they're the best team in the conference this season. Chris Bourque and Andrew Ference are my worries with this Bruins team, the lack of fighting is way down the list even well after Chara's play this season which has been below his standards.
I sometimes wish the Bruins or players on other teams could see posts claiming the Bruins aren't tough to play against just so I could see the looks on their faces.

Reminds me a bit of that old commercial of the kid riding "the Micheal Vick experience" with these huge snarling bodies flying at him from every direction. Perhaps there should be a "Bruins experience" so fans could be on the ice with guys like Lucic and Chara and see what it's really like.

Artemis is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 01:57 PM
  #983
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator
 
CamFan81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: RI
Country: United States
Posts: 18,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Horton is coming off of a concussion, Thornton suffered a concussion IN A FIGHT and McQuaid had major surgery that he wasn't supposed to be able to start the season after. The Bruins still have ten fights in 14 games (the least played in the entire league) which has them tied for tenth with six other teams. How many other teams have had a first line winger drop a legitimate NHL heavyweight like Lucic did to Carkner? The doom and gloom over team toughness if just unreal. Thornton lost one fight in large part because he's undersized but he's never had a problem with the 6'4", 230 pound heavyweights his entire career just the 6'8", 270 pound guy got him. If the Bruins don't have anybody that matches up with Scott I don't really care because I know Thornton matches just fine with every other heavyweight in the league just fine because he practically fought them all and I would say it's a safe bet Thornton would do a lot better in a rematch. The bottom line is you shouldn't let John Scott dictate what you do. If the Bruins were losing games and not getting in fights I'd be worried but they're the best team in the conference this season. Chris Bourque and Andrew Ference are my worries with this Bruins team, the lack of fighting is way down the list even well after Chara's play this season which has been below his standards.
The only part I'd disagree with. Because he's handled guys that big before.
After beating Boogaard i have no doubts Thornton can fight em all. All of the trade talk, and wanting to dress a couple of goons every night gets you no where.

CamFan81 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 02:00 PM
  #984
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Maybe if it turns it up physically the rest of his game will come around? Chara has always known when to step up with a fight to get the team going or settle a score...Seems to be lacking there somwhat..
22nd in the league among defencemen in hits after being 24th last year. He's still confronting guys out there, he stupidly left position to go after Ott for his hit on Krejci allowing a two on one the other way in a one goal game in the third period which started another disaster of a comeback by Buffalo, just last night Chara grabbed Pouliot after his hit on Bergeron and roughed up Conacher. Hasn't fought but it's been years since Chara had a good fight anyway.

If the Bruins can get physicality that can play I don't object. If they can get a big body to replace Bourque that's cool. Even if they get a Zac Rinaldo like is speculated in the other thread, I hate the kid because he's a sociopath and is so dirty after watching him play in London but at least he can play a fourth line shift and push Paille up to the third.


Last edited by bruinsfan46: 02-22-2013 at 02:06 PM.
bruinsfan46 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 02:06 PM
  #985
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: It's a dog's life
Country: United States
Posts: 41,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I sometimes wish the Bruins or players on other teams could see posts claiming the Bruins aren't tough to play against just so I could see the looks on their faces.

Reminds me a bit of that old commercial of the kid riding "the Micheal Vick experience" with these huge snarling bodies flying at him from every direction. Perhaps there should be a "Bruins experience" so fans could be on the ice with guys like Lucic and Chara and see what it's really like.
They are tough to play against... Just not as tough as they used to be...

WBC8 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 02:07 PM
  #986
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: It's a dog's life
Country: United States
Posts: 41,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
22nd in the league among defencemen in hits after being 24th last year. He's still confronting guys out there, he stupidly left position to go after Ott for his hit on Krejci allowing a two on one the other way in a one goal game in the third period which started another disaster of a comeback by Buffalo, just last night Chara grabbed Pouliot after his hit on Bergeron and roughed up Conacher. Hasn't fought but it's been years since Chara had a good fight anyway.

If the Bruins can get physicality that can play I don't object. If they can get a big body to replace Bourque that's cool. Even if they get a Zac Rinaldo like is speculated in the other thread, I hate the kid because he's a sociopath and is so dirty after watching him play in London but at least he can play a fourth line shift and push Paille up to the third.
No he didn't...He went to get the puck, got it, then coughed it up.

WBC8 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 07:07 PM
  #987
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 22,118
vCash: 500
it looks like the penguins are wearing the panther alternates.

robert terwilliger is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 09:38 PM
  #988
Pie O My
Registered User
 
Pie O My's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shawmut Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,769
vCash: 500
Hawks well on their way to at least another point.

And what is it with Finnish goalies and that weak glove side? DOH..

Pie O My is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:06 PM
  #989
Alicat
City of Champions!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Titletown
Country: United States
Posts: 27,421
vCash: 500
Ryan Clowe just came off the bench to go after Shaw

__________________
The Butler did it. In the end zone. With a pick!

I am Boston Strong
6.15.11
4.15.13

Alicat is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:10 PM
  #990
Pie O My
Registered User
 
Pie O My's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shawmut Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Ryan Clowe just came off the bench to go after Shaw
that reminds me, i can't remember now but was Looch thrown out of last years Canucks game for coming off the bench when he actually never came off the bench?? Or was it for something else?

Pie O My is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:15 PM
  #991
Pie O My
Registered User
 
Pie O My's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shawmut Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,769
vCash: 500
Hawks/Sharks game....example #8329 of a good PK beating a good PP.

Pie O My is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:16 PM
  #992
Bi Coastal Bawse*
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 11,939
vCash: 500
Why did the sharks attack hossa?

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:18 PM
  #993
Pie O My
Registered User
 
Pie O My's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Shawmut Center
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,769
vCash: 500
Have no idea what to make of KT's hair. I want my wholesome Katie back.

Pie O My is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:32 PM
  #994
Bocephus86
Registered User
 
Bocephus86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Bosto
Country: United States
Posts: 3,935
vCash: 500
I put this post in the wrong thread: those who are watching NHL network: does the NHL network have there own squad or do they pick up local broadcasts? I assume the sharks/hawks are hawks commentors but i'm not entirely sure because they deserved the "tire pumping" then my drunk ass whatched (err switched) to video games.


as a note; when the Bs don't play I play NHL to satiate my yearnings (unless I have better distractions which are (unfortunately) rarer then I'd like).

Bocephus86 is offline  
Old
02-22-2013, 10:47 PM
  #995
Alicat
City of Champions!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Titletown
Country: United States
Posts: 27,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
that reminds me, i can't remember now but was Looch thrown out of last years Canucks game for coming off the bench when he actually never came off the bench?? Or was it for something else?
He did when they accused him of coming off the bench when he didnt and the league rescinded it after the game.

Alicat is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 12:37 PM
  #996
Shaun
best poster alive
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,769
vCash: 500
Kovalchuk is such a great player.

Shaun is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 12:54 PM
  #997
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: It's a dog's life
Country: United States
Posts: 41,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Kovalchuk is such a great player.
Ive seen him live over a dozen times now. He is just flat out more skilled then anyone else on the ice. He also works very hard too. He really is a great player.

WBC8 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 01:09 PM
  #998
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,445
vCash: 500
The Caps announcers are beyond homers.

They are more like uterines.

EverettMike is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 01:20 PM
  #999
Orrthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
So OV's girlfriend is at the game today and he has scored twice, interesting.

Orrthebest is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 01:25 PM
  #1000
Orrthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
So OV's girlfriend is at the game today and he has scored twice, interesting.
Make it a hattrick.

Orrthebest is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.