HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

what would you be willing to offer for Marek Svatos?

Old
07-14-2006, 11:06 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Not talking about giving up on him...talking about replacing him with a younger better player...with more upside.
Upside is good but not something we are lacking. If you want upside, try Kost on your 1st line or Perez, or Grabovsky but that's not the way we do it anyways.
Now, if Svatos was a young budding powerforward/defenceman I would double the offer and shower them with picks.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
anyway...I dont think Svatos is leaving Colorado any time soon.

you might be right but his agent seems to be talking alot

--------------
Evans said "If the team has cap issues affecting signing a guy like Marek, we would hope they would resolve their cap issues."
--------------

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:33 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

If the avs have cap issues I would offer something like Perezhogin and a 1st with a conditional 2nd if we can sign Svatos long term (4 years).

Then we would really have to unload Ribeiro, Bonk and Aebischer or we're in trouble lol

But it's all speculation and it's just for fun anyways.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:48 PM
madbox

He can't stay healthy.
No.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2006, 11:59 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post
He can't stay healthy.
No.
I cant argue with that.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

The problem with Svatos' contract demands are mostly due to the Avs being cap-limited to the point where they just can't afford to offer him anything much over $1M. So obviously they can't take Ryder back either. Either he'll have to accept a lowball deal, or they'll have to figure out a different way to make room. All of which will be less painful for them than dealing him.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 01:51 AM
wholeshow*

svatos is one of their best players, i see the avs shedding some their dead weight for cheap before even contemplating a trade that involves marek.
but yah barring the AVS cap situation (which BlindGuardien eluded to )if we can pull it off a ryder for svatos trade it would be nice.

think outside of the box:
how about ryder (1.8 million estimated), garth murray (575k) and a 2nd for svatos (1.5 million estimated) and ian lapperierre? (1.06 million)? would the avs do it? if they strongly believe that they can't resign svatos (because there's a lot of ugly contracts on their team that might be difficult to dump), something like that could happen (doesn't have to be the habs, hah).

it works contract wise. avs get a durable scorer unlike svatos and a good young checker that can has a few years before he hits the UFA market. habs get an injury prone but exceptional scorer and a strong 2-way player for the checking line.

with the cap world, anything can happen. perhaps a team like the capitals may trade a pick for turgeon giving them the cap room to resign svatos. hmmm

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Qui Gon Dave

I'll avoid the issue of if we should(n't) make a move for Svatos and just try and remind a few people who are content to slight him with regards to his abilities. Does anyone else here remember the game we played against Colorado? If not, that would be the one we lost and some kid from their team called Marek Svatos was running things for the Avs. Every time he got the puck, he looked dangerous. Even Andrei Markov, our #1 d-man and one of our best players last year, was left looking like he didn't belong on the same ice surface as Svatos, who frequently skated right through the middle of our team with the puck on his stick. thankfully, Huet bailed us out most of the game but looked exhausted by the end of it, but still, that wasn't enough and we lost 2-1.

Svatos was nothing short of amazing that game and in others during the season. To say he is over-rated or that he relies on a future first-ballot Hall of Famer to look good is unfair.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Habs Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
Why Ryder for Svatos??
They are pretty much the same offensively!

Ryder played all last season with a disc problem and Svatos had Sakic feeding him the puck!

It would be a sideways move because before last season, Svatos was a big question mark health wise. He broke out, was awesome, but like Ribeiro in his breakout season, caught everyone off guard!
Ribeiro had a breakout season???

Habs Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 11:55 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
I'll avoid the issue of if we should(n't) make a move for Svatos and just try and remind a few people who are content to slight him with regards to his abilities. Does anyone else here remember the game we played against Colorado? If not, that would be the one we lost and some kid from their team called Marek Svatos was running things for the Avs. Every time he got the puck, he looked dangerous. Even Andrei Markov, our #1 d-man and one of our best players last year, was left looking like he didn't belong on the same ice surface as Svatos, who frequently skated right through the middle of our team with the puck on his stick. thankfully, Huet bailed us out most of the game but looked exhausted by the end of it, but still, that wasn't enough and we lost 2-1.

Svatos was nothing short of amazing that game and in others during the season. To say he is over-rated or that he relies on a future first-ballot Hall of Famer to look good is unfair.
Yeah I remember that game. How many amazing moves did Svatos do 1 on 1 near the blue line? It was one of the most impressive individual performance (without racking up points) by a player the Habs played against last year.

Old
07-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Route66*

Quote:
Dagenais?
YOu would be lucky to get hockey tape for him

Route66* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 12:30 PM
DerekT

I don't know the entire history on Svatos, but I followed his games, and was VERY impressed by him when the Habs played the Avs. But there's 1 thing I don't get. Why does he have such a bad rap for staying healthy? He only had 1 injurry to his shoulder, no? I mean, plenty of players have suffered similar and gone on to have long careers, right?

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 12:37 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninot View Post
I don't know the entire history on Svatos, but I followed his games, and was VERY impressed by him when the Habs played the Avs. But there's 1 thing I don't get. Why does he have such a bad rap for staying healthy? He only had 1 injurry to his shoulder, no? I mean, plenty of players have suffered similar and gone on to have long careers, right?
Actualy he had more then one. He basicaly missed the all of the 2003-2004(I think???) season with shoulder injury. And has some others before.

Old
07-15-2006, 12:40 PM
DerekT

So he has chronic shoulder injuries? Ok, i'm updated now. Thanks

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Pascal

Ryder is a great young player if you ask me. Give him time to fix the holes in his game before everyone calls for his head. I see a pure goal scorer in him and that'ssomething we haven't had in Montreal since um... a long time.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 01:32 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Ryder is a great young player if you ask me. Give him time to fix the holes in his game before everyone calls for his head. I see a pure goal scorer in him and that'ssomething we haven't had in Montreal since um... a long time.
No one is calling for his head in this thread. The fact is that if Svatos wasnt so injury prone he'd be a real improvement over Ryder. They dont really compare and we'd never get him for Ryder alone. If you can improve your team that way...you cant ignore it.

Old
07-15-2006, 02:53 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
Svatos is overrated and I wouldn't give Ryder for him. Let's see if he can repeat this next year.
Svatos is going to be a star.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 04:48 PM
paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Svatos is going to be a star.
I know he was impressive and all, but I'm just not sure about his ability to consistently score goals. He does show a lot flash and great speed but... Remember Valery Bure when he scored 30+?

That being said, it's just my personal gut feeling, but trust me I have nothing against Marek and wish him success. If he does pan out like you guys think, then I'll happily eat my words.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 05:52 PM
madbox

Even though I like Svatos and his flash, he has shown no signs of actual longevity healthwise. He's had some pretty big, fairly longterm injuries at like every level played, no?
Just not comfortable with that.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote