HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 12:36 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Again, are our best players getting concussions all unfortunate results to plays? How many more 'coincidences' are we going to suffer through before we beef up this roster?

It shows me that we have no ****-stirrers, agitators, fighters, or big hitters. Did you see that video someone just posted of Engo sticking up for Geno? did you also notice how long ago that was? Comrie and Letestu were on the ice!
I don't believe that any extra toughness on the roster would have prevented any of our star players from being concussion. I just don't. Whether because of who made the hit or because it was an accident, I believe ever one of them would have made the same play regardless of who was on our roster. Our star players play a lot. They do not shy from the dirty areas and they tend to have the puck on their stick while there. Its a very physical league.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I agree its hurt us in the playoffs. Though I don't think guys like Laraque or Orr are the answer. Even Asham. I think guys like Clutterbuck or Neil are the kind of toughness we could use. Guys like Stewart or Malone.

I don't agree that it would prevent injuries. I just don't think players are afraid to get punched a few times.
Laraque played all season in '08, and three rounds in the playoffs. He was a factor.

Colton Orr is now on the third line in Toronto, and Nazem Kadri has never looked bigger on the ice.

These guys can be factors if you know how to use them and how to deal with them. Bylsma only relates to the useless (Glass), though.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I only know of two.

Letang is considered one of the best defensemen in the world isn't he?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I believe the 3rd is Vitale.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Laraque played all season in '08, and three rounds in the playoffs. He was a factor.

Colton Orr is now on the third line in Toronto, and Nazem Kadri has never looked bigger on the ice.

These guys can be factors if you know how to use them and how to deal with them. Bylsma only relates to the useless (Glass), though.
I can see the Pens making a push for Brendan Morrow to address this need.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:00 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Butternubs View Post
I believe the 3rd is Vitale.
I was thinking BearManPig.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I can see the Pens making a push for Brendan Morrow to address this need.
While he's definitely not as good as he used to be, I can see him improving our 3rd line a ton. Might help on the PP too.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:19 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
While he's definitely not as good as he used to be, I can see him improving our 3rd line a ton. Might help on the PP too.
If we can't get Iginla , go for Ryder and Morrow?

Kunitz -Crosby - Dupuis ( would put Ryder on first line but db isn't touching it )
Ryder - Malkin - Neal
Morrow - Sutter - Bennett
Glass - vitale - Adams
Jeffrey

Just another one of my thousand proposed lineups

Old
02-23-2013, 01:22 PM
shizno

As someone who lived in dallas and follows the Stars, WE DO NOT WANT MORROW!!! No idea the fascination with this guy on the pens board. If you want someone who is constantly injured you can get one much cheaper!

Old
02-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
As someone who lived in dallas and follows the Stars, WE DO NOT WANT MORROW!!! No idea the fascination with this guy on the pens board. If you want someone who is constantly injured you can get one much cheaper!
This team needs toughness. He's also picked up his play recently so maybe the horrible start was because of the lockout.

Also, Dallas could retain some of that $4.1M.

Also, they're just ideas being tossed around. On a message board. That has no influence on anything.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
Letang is considered one of the best defensemen in the world isn't he?
Yeeeeeeah, ok I'll grant you that. It's just that when you say one of the best PLAYERS in the world, only Chara, Weber and Karlsson are in that conversation from the back imo.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:43 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
This team needs toughness. He's also picked up his play recently so maybe the horrible start was because of the lockout.

Also, Dallas could retain some of that $4.1M.

Also, they're just ideas being tossed around. On a message board. That has no influence on anything.
We could get a better, healthier version of Morrow in Malone...but Morrow could be a backup plan?

Old
02-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
We could get a better, healthier version of Morrow in Malone...but Morrow could be a backup plan?
I think the biggest difference between the two is that if Morrow is hurt, he is hurt for most of the season. Malone only plays about three quarters of a season. Pick your poison.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Saints11

In all honesty, the person who might make the most sense in acquiring is RJ Umberger. He is a Center who plays on the wing. So, while Geno is out he could play C and move to his wing on his return. In the mean time, he may develop som chemistry with Nealer.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
By blockbuster trade, I believe you're implying a bunch of players involved in a deal rather than 1 big fish?
Correct although...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I think his example included Landeskog I also don't think he was being serious
...was not so serious WRT to the specific proposal I made.

I do think Shero will be trading for skill and at two positions now and using our high end prospects and picks and some decent roster players to make it happen. Can't see him trying another "scoring by committee" approach after it blew up in our faces in prior playoff years. This is going to be one of those deadlines + summer FA periods where things get shaken up a bit IMO. Now is the time to remake the team without blowing it up.

Quote:
I don't see it happening given that the Bruins are looking for offense and are in a win-now mode. I really like Horton though.
About as much chance of the Bruins trading us Horton as Washington trading us Backstrom. Will never happen. As long as Boston is a contender they won't trade with us for anything other than role player swaps and scraps.

Quote:
I think Shero will wait to see how Sutter & Jeffrey perform in their new roles while Malkin is out before he tries to acquire a center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We'll be fine with Sutter and Jeffrey to fill the void. ROR is a target if he fits in our lineup with Geno. Don think this injury changes much.
I do. Jeffrey is not a top 6 caliber player (although I like his game) and neither is Sutter (ditto). You can plug them in and it may work pretty well in teh regular season, but once defenses start clamping down and the intensity is wrateched up a notch, guys like Jeffrey become invisible. Sutter might be able to hack it for a Cup run... but it's a pretty big might. Lot of pressure to put on the guy.

And to be clear what I mean is not "trade to replace Malkin long-term" but "trade to make us a legit two scoring line team again for the playoffs, and figure out the signing / cap situation this summer if the player(s) aren't under contract for at least one more year."

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
We don't have the assets to bring in a star caliber player...maybe a Horton type player but not a legitimate star like Perry.

I'm honestly wondering what it would take to bring in Horton right now, clearly not as much as 3 years ago, but it would still cost a bit.
We have a better shot (not a good shot but a better shot) at Perry because of where he plays and the fact that Anaheim could use some of our D assets, and are familiar with Kunitz (who almost certainly would be involved). But it only happens if the Perry re-signing effort, which has just started, goes bad in a hurry. Odds are pretty good they'll give him what he wants and he'll go nowhere.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:34 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Correct although...

...was not so serious WRT to the specific proposal I made.

I do think Shero will be trading for skill and at two positions now and using our high end prospects and picks and some decent roster players to make it happen. Can't see him trying another "scoring by committee" approach after it blew up in our faces in prior playoff years. This is going to be one of those deadlines + summer FA periods where things get shaken up a bit IMO. Now is the time to remake the team without blowing it up.

About as much chance of the Bruins trading us Horton as Washington trading us Backstrom. Will never happen. As long as Boston is a contender they won't trade with us for anything other than role player swaps and scraps.

I do. Jeffrey is not a top 6 caliber player (although I like his game) and neither is Sutter (ditto). You can plug them in and it may work pretty well in teh regular season, but once defenses start clamping down and the intensity is wrateched up a notch, guys like Jeffrey become invisible. Sutter might be able to hack it for a Cup run... but it's a pretty big might. Lot of pressure to put on the guy.

And to be clear what I mean is not "trade to replace Malkin long-term" but "trade to make us a legit two scoring line team again for the playoffs, and figure out the signing / cap situation this summer if the player(s) aren't under contract for at least one more year."

We have a better shot (not a good shot but a better shot) at Perry because of where he plays and the fact that Anaheim could use some of our D assets, and are familiar with Kunitz (who almost certainly would be involved). But it only happens if the Perry re-signing effort, which has just started, goes bad in a hurry. Odds are pretty good they'll give him what he wants and he'll go nowhere.

I really don't see how they can go about affording both of Perry and Getzlaf, if one signs, the other goes. Getzlaf is their captain, number 1 centre and the face of their franchise. Most likely he stays and Perry is outta there.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
When has Jeffery ever had a chance to play in a situation like that? People are acting like Jeffery has been given an ample shot to show what he can do. Hes played what? less than 5 games this year? most of the time on the 4th line. Played with Malkin 1 game and showed he can make plays and keep up, yet was never placed there again. I really feel like a lot of people underestimate jeffery simply because Bylsma refuses to play him.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:39 PM
GermanTitov

Replacing Malkins production

do the pens make a move? bring in someone to help replace malkins production. keep two solid lines in his absence.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:40 PM
WarriorScholar

I think they will replace Malkin in two weeks by adding Evgeni Malkin.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:41 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Andy Strickland‏@andystrickland

"@Aportzline: #CBJ have hired Basil McRae as a part-time scout in Ontario. McRae, is part-owner of the London Knights." Was working w/ Blues

Basil McRae and Jarmo Kekalainen are close friends....have run marathons together in the past #CBJ #stlblues

Gut feeling that if there's a deal to be made with the Blue Jackets, Olli Maatta will be the guy they'd want. also wanted to point out that Kekalainen is Finnish.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:41 PM
Flat Stanley

I don't think they're top 6 players. But I think Sutter can play 2nd line center temporarily. Jeffrey has had some success in games he's played. I wouldn't consider him a top 6 player, but he is an ideal 3rd line center.

The Penguins are lucky to have Jeffrey on the team to be honest. We have to give him a role soon so he can play everyday, he's earned it, he deserves it.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
I think they will replace Malkin in two weeks by adding Evgeni Malkin.
I think this is the likely plan.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:45 PM
JTG

Sutter played in the top 6 in Carolina. It's not something that's new for him.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:46 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

When the Pens lost Crosby in 2010, and then Malkin in 2010, and then Crosby for part of 2011, and Malkin on and off at the beginning of 2011, the team refocused on playing smart hockey. They tightened up defensively, and the role players - who are currently taking an 18-game break from hockey - stepped up.

Losing Geno (or Sid) is huge. You can't just replace him. But maybe, if there can be a silver lining in all of this - and I'm only basing this on Geno getting healthy and coming back this year - it's that the team can remember how to play hockey, and not just rely on its stars.

Also: PUT NEAL WITH SID UNTIL GENO COMES BACK.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:59 PM
GermanTitov

shortened season. we drop 2 games we are out of the playoffs so i dont think its premature or something we can just brush off and say he will be back. have we learned nothing form crosby? im simply stating if shero was planning on making an addition before the deadline does he now speed up that time table.

Closed Thread