HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pit-Dal Ryder

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 01:46 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
I'd rather give a 1st for Ryder than a 2nd + Harrington (or Dumoulin).
What if the Stars added a low pick?

Old
02-23-2013, 01:46 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I'd want Morrow from the Pens for Ryder. I'd also consider Despres. Dallas needs a defenseman not another forward though for the right forward I'd certainly consider it.
Ryder won't net you either of those and rightfully so. I wouldn't even want to give up Blueger for Ryder. I think that 2nd rounder + a roster player should be more than enough for a potential UFA.

Shero has had 2 opportunities to sign Ryder and he didn't, maybe he feels he's not a good fit and I'm ok with that. I would much rather hang on to Blueger. The kid is starting to play much better in College, he was player of the week not so long ago as well.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Honour Over Glory

I would rather see Shero go after a more permanent solution, like how he did with Kunitz and Neal, when Shero does go after rentals, he was burned once before by Hossa and since then he's gone after guys that wouldn't cost a lot like Guerin and Kovalev for example.

Shero just lost Strait, then moved a few prospects and to me, that clears up a little bit of a log jam.

I think the Pens and Stars have a good trading relationship, but I doubt Shero is sending a decent prospect and a pick for Ryder.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I would rather see Shero go after a more permanent solution, like how he did with Kunitz and Neal, when Shero does go after rentals, he was burned once before by Hossa and since then he's gone after guys that wouldn't cost a lot like Guerin and Kovalev for example.

Shero just lost Strait, then moved a few prospects and to me, that clears up a little bit of a log jam.

I think the Pens and Stars have a good trading relationship, but I doubt Shero is sending a decent prospect and a pick for Ryder.
Probably the main reason why he'll never trade a 1st rounder ever again.

So Shero expects to get Ryder for future considerations? Or a late pick? If that's the case, Joe mind as well trade him to a team that is willing to pay a better price for a top six winger who excels in the playoffs. I can see the Bruins and the Rangers making a pitch for him.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:23 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
Probably the main reason why he'll never trade a 1st rounder ever again.

So Shero expects to get Ryder for future considerations? Or a late pick? If that's the case, Joe mind as well trade him to a team that is willing to pay a better price for a top six winger who excels in the playoffs. I can see the Bruins and the Rangers making a pitch for him.
Joe should. No one is saying Shero is interested. It's just someone saying oh hey what would it take and the inflated values of players on this board is insanely well documented, so let's not go the route of being offended, you shouldn't.

Ryder might fetch you something decent, it won't be from Shero though.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:37 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
If Dallas falls out of the playoff race what would it take to get Ryder out of Dallas since his contract is expiring this summer.

Here is a proposal. Too much? Not enough?

Michael Ryder

2nd round pick
B level prospect (Brian Dumoulin, Tom KŁhnhackl, etc)
I wouldn't move Dumoulin for Ryder. Let alone adding a 2nd.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
02-23-2013, 03:55 AM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Joe should. No one is saying Shero is interested. It's just someone saying oh hey what would it take and the inflated values of players on this board is insanely well documented, so let's not go the route of being offended, you shouldn't.

Ryder might fetch you something decent, it won't be from Shero though.
No, your post didn't offend me. I'm just stating my opinion on Ryder's potential return.

My previous posts on this thread agree with you completely. And if Shero does acquire Ryder for virtually nothing, I'll eat my words.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:39 AM
glovesave_35
Name

If all Ryder can return is a 2nd round pick (from a good team) then I'd rather just keep him for our own playoff push.

I don't mean for this to come across as rude Pens fans, just my view from the outside of your team's situation. You're constantly in the thick of things contention-wise because of Crosby and Malkin. You now have a legit goal scoring winger for one of those centers (Neal) but because of the makeup of your team it seems unless or until you guys develop your own scoring winger to compliment what Neal brings to the table, you'll constantly be in search of a little added scoring punch to really make noise in the playoffs and get back to the SCF. Your organization is adept at developing defensemen yet seems to get somewhat opposite results developing wingers.

I know you'd like to have your cake and eat it too, and I'm not trying to over-sell Ryder's abilities, but I would think a guy who is a proven playoff performer that scored 35 goals a season ago would be a pretty tantalizing weapon to add for a playoff run. A mid/low 2nd round pick is not equally tantalizing to me as a Stars fan given that Grossmann, a solid but unspectacular defensive defenseman with an expiring contract, netted a 2nd round pick. Ryder is quite a bit more valuable as a trade deadline commodity than Grossmann.

I understand the desire to pay as little as possible but if the best being offered is a Pittsburgh 2nd round pick I really hope Nieuwendyk either finds a better offer elsewhere or just keeps him for ourselves.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:53 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
No, your post didn't offend me. I'm just stating my opinion on Ryder's potential return.

My previous posts on this thread agree with you completely. And if Shero does acquire Ryder for virtually nothing, I'll eat my words.
A lot of people here value their players, rightfully so, we're fans of the team and some of us have the homer side of us that think a guy will rebound or get better, etc or that he's worth more than he is, which is what this entire trade forum is, a bunch of people that over value or at times, under value, players on the team they cheer for.

Going by Shero's track record, even that Hossa trade was a major push from Mario and not a Shero trade, so if you take that out, you see a shrewd business man that seems to win his trades and the risks he takes, are of minimal damage to the Penguins future (ie: what he gave up for Hossa wasn't even that bad, we still won that trade by keeping Dupuis, but look at what he gave up for Guerin and even Kovalev, not much, or even Ponikarovsky).

I don't see Shero bucking this trend. There are other potential UFA's out there, also, you never know how many people actually come calling, if you sit and expect 10 people and only 2 call...your asking price takes a huge back hander of reality.

If the Pens aren't involved and I believe they aren't, I hope Joe gets a huge return for Ryder if he moves him. I'd want the same if my team was out and a potential UFA was sitting and likely going to move on, might as well get something for him.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:00 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
If all Ryder can return is a 2nd round pick (from a good team) then I'd rather just keep him for our own playoff push.

I don't mean for this to come across as rude Pens fans, just my view from the outside of your team's situation. You're constantly in the thick of things contention-wise because of Crosby and Malkin. You now have a legit goal scoring winger for one of those centers (Neal) but because of the makeup of your team it seems unless or until you guys develop your own scoring winger to compliment what Neal brings to the table, you'll constantly be in search of a little added scoring punch to really make noise in the playoffs and get back to the SCF. Your organization is adept at developing defensemen yet seems to get somewhat opposite results developing wingers.

I know you'd like to have your cake and eat it too, and I'm not trying to over-sell Ryder's abilities, but I would think a guy who is a proven playoff performer that scored 35 goals a season ago would be a pretty tantalizing weapon to add for a playoff run. A mid/low 2nd round pick is not equally tantalizing to me as a Stars fan given that Grossmann, a solid but unspectacular defensive defenseman with an expiring contract, netted a 2nd round pick. Ryder is quite a bit more valuable as a trade deadline commodity than Grossmann.

I understand the desire to pay as little as possible but if the best being offered is a Pittsburgh 2nd round pick I really hope Nieuwendyk either finds a better offer elsewhere or just keeps him for ourselves.
Let's play a game, I'll give you a scenario of a potential UFA player, you tell me what he would fetch you, ok?

Player A has 19 goals, 22 assists for 41 points in 61 games before his eventual trade and is a potential UFA, prior to this season he put up 23 goals, 38 assists and 61 points (and consider the fact that he basically scored 20 or more goals in the 3yrs prior). He's 29yrs old.

What do you think his return would be in a trade?

Curious to see your response, then I will show you what really happened. That's the problem people have, they live in this fantasy land where you run fantasy leagues, play video games, etc, it skews your views on what value really is and what a team is realistically going to give up.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:19 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:

I'm not interested in paying a 1st-round pick for someone like Ryder. It's nothing personal, and I don't disagree with the overall sentiment of your post. The Penguins should be willing to go all out to win cups in the CONCUSSION ERA.

That said, you have to spend wisely. I think that 1st, or those shiny D Prospects, would be better spent on players better - or under control longer than - Ryder.

I also think there's some miscommunication on just what these players being thrown around are. Specifically Dumoulin and Morrow. While the Penguins fans may be overvaluing them, to us, they are two nearly NHL ready guys and at least one, perhaps two, of them will be in the NHL full time next year. And both within 2 years.

Both of these guys will fill holes and come in at a price that allows the Pens to continue to employ players like Crosby and Malkin at $8.7MM cap hits. They might be traded, but not for rentals. Just wanted to underline something

Old
02-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Van would offer Raymond/Higgins + 4th rounder + Kevin Connauton for Ryder

Old
02-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:
Let's play a game, I'll give you a scenario of a potential UFA player, you tell me what he would fetch you, ok?

Player A has 19 goals, 22 assists for 41 points in 61 games before his eventual trade and is a potential UFA, prior to this season he put up 23 goals, 38 assists and 61 points (and consider the fact that he basically scored 20 or more goals in the 3yrs prior). He's 29yrs old.

Curious to see your response, then I will show you what really happened. That's the problem people have, they live in this fantasy land where you run fantasy leagues, play video games, etc, it skews your views on what value really is and what a team is realistically going to give up.
you forgot "post trade proposals on a message board" in the whole fantasy land scenario.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:38 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:

It's late here and I don't care to do the research. I have no idea who that player was or to which team he was traded or from (which is pertinent information).

I'm not living in a fantasy hockey world. I'm living in a world where GM's overpay for otherwise mediocre players on a regular basis. Maybe this isn't your GM but again, nowhere in my post was I holding your organization's feet to the fire. I don't care if Ryder is traded and I certainly don't care if he's a Penguin in a few months' time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I'm not interested in paying a 1st-round pick for someone like Ryder. It's nothing personal, and I don't disagree with the overall sentiment of your post. The Penguins should be willing to go all out to win cups in the CONCUSSION ERA.

That said, you have to spend wisely. I think that 1st, or those shiny D Prospects, would be better spent on players better - or under control longer than - Ryder.

I also think there's some miscommunication on just what these players being thrown around are. Specifically Dumoulin and Morrow. While the Penguins fans may be overvaluing them, to us, they are two nearly NHL ready guys and at least one, perhaps two, of them will be in the NHL full time next year. And both within 2 years.

Both of these guys will fill holes and come in at a price that allows the Pens to continue to employ players like Crosby and Malkin at $8.7MM cap hits. They might be traded, but not for rentals. Just wanted to underline something
I never mentioned 1st round picks anywhere in my post.

I don't expect Ryder to net any of the Pens' top flight defense prospects. And I don't expect your GM to trade a 1st for him. What I was doing was outlining your team's outlook from an outsider's perspective, as a fan of a team who hasn't had a dog in the playoff race in quite some time.

The Pens develop D-men very well. They don't bring along forwards with the same results. If you wish to disagree show me the evidence.

The entire point of my post was to say that basically, our two teams are not good trading partners on this particular player given your GM's desire to pay low dollar for lower level scorers and our team's desire to make the playoffs. Ryder isn't going to be traded just for the sake of it, he'll be traded if there's an offer that makes our GM desire to move him.

I'm not living in a fantasy world. Whoever thinks a player half a season removed from a 35 goal season returning only a 2nd round pick is the one living in a fantasy world. Good luck with whatever washed up 35+ year old you guys pick up for pennies on the dollar.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:52 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
It's late here and I don't care to do the research. I have no idea who that player was or to which team he was traded or from (which is pertinent information).

I'm not living in a fantasy hockey world. I'm living in a world where GM's overpay for otherwise mediocre players on a regular basis. Maybe this isn't your GM but again, nowhere in my post was I holding your organization's feet to the fire. I don't care if Ryder is traded and I certainly don't care if he's a Penguin in a few months' time.

I don't expect Ryder to net any of the Pens' top flight defense prospects. And I don't expect your GM to trade a 1st for him. What I was doing was outlining your team's outlook from an outsider's perspective, as a fan of a team who hasn't had a dog in the playoff race in quite some time.

The Pens develop D-men very well. They don't bring along forwards with the same results. If you wish to disagree show me the evidence.

The entire point of my post was to say that basically, our two teams are not good trading partners on this particular player given your GM's desire to pay low dollar for lower level scorers and our team's desire to make the playoffs. Ryder isn't going to be traded just for the sake of it, he'll be traded if there's an offer that makes our GM desire to move him.

I'm not living in a fantasy world. Whoever thinks a player half a season removed from a 35 goal season returning only a 2nd round pick is the one living in a fantasy world. Good luck with whatever washed up 35+ year old you guys pick up for pennies on the dollar.
I never mentioned you living in a fantasy world. You seem weirdly aggressive and angry about this.

If you aren't mentioning a 1st and you aren't mentioning a top-flight D prospect, not sure what you're mentioning.

But ANGRY MESSAGE TO YOU TOO, sir.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:32 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I never mentioned you living in a fantasy world. You seem weirdly aggressive and angry about this.

If you aren't mentioning a 1st and you aren't mentioning a top-flight D prospect, not sure what you're mentioning.

But ANGRY MESSAGE TO YOU TOO, sir.

Even if we can't all get along on HF ... Ryder to Pittsburgh has the same feel to me that Neal to Pittsburgh did. We all talked about it for a while, and I was never all that comfortable with the potential return.

Neal seemed like the prefect long term solution at wing then, and Ryder seems like a perfect short term solution at wing now. Hopefully though Dallas actually gets something useful ... no idea what that would be.

I think Dallas fans, myself included, believe that Ryder's value could be slightly elevated because there really could be a scenario where several teams target him and drive up the price. Now ... that doesn't mean to some ridiculously great piece for Dallas, but a 2nd and prospect seems fair. It's fun to speculate about the potential prospect, but who knows for sure.

I do think of all of Dallas' players, Ryder is the one who will move regardless of Dallas' playoff position. I do think this scenario plays out exactly as the one that occurred with Nicklas Grossmann. They'll feel that the offers are too goo to pass up, and they will ultimately be more than comfortable with one of their younger prospects taking a bigger role.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Flat Stanley

Stars fans still interested in shopping Brenden Morrow?

LW Brenden Morrow
RW Michael Ryder

RW Tyler Kennedy
C Theodor Blueger
2013 3rd round pick
2014 conditional 2nd round pick (only if one of them re-sign)

Kunitz-Crosby-Ryder
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Kunitz-Crosby-Ryder
Morrow-Sutter-Neal
Cooke-Jeffrey-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Tyler Kennedy can be a serviceable 3rd liner, he's an RFA so the Stars can control his contract (either sign him or trade him for a pick), Blueger is a good forward prospect, you get a 3rd round pick in 2013, and if Morrow OR Ryder re-sign, you get a 2nd in 2014.

Last edited by Flat Stanley: 02-23-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 01:19 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:

Excuse me for butting in, but it appears to me, that Stars fans feel they could get more than a 2nd and a good prospect for Ryder, for which hope there are undoubtably instances in deadline history to support it.
Pens fans OTOH feel that if a 1st and/or Morrow is involved, they should be getting better than Ryder, in support of which there are equal instances in trade history. Neither is really wrong here and either (or both) could well happen.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:56 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post

Even if we can't all get along on HF ... Ryder to Pittsburgh has the same feel to me that Neal to Pittsburgh did. We all talked about it for a while, and I was never all that comfortable with the potential return.

Neal seemed like the prefect long term solution at wing then, and Ryder seems like a perfect short term solution at wing now. Hopefully though Dallas actually gets something useful ... no idea what that would be.

I think Dallas fans, myself included, believe that Ryder's value could be slightly elevated because there really could be a scenario where several teams target him and drive up the price. Now ... that doesn't mean to some ridiculously great piece for Dallas, but a 2nd and prospect seems fair. It's fun to speculate about the potential prospect, but who knows for sure.

I do think of all of Dallas' players, Ryder is the one who will move regardless of Dallas' playoff position. I do think this scenario plays out exactly as the one that occurred with Nicklas Grossmann. They'll feel that the offers are too goo to pass up, and they will ultimately be more than comfortable with one of their younger prospects taking a bigger role.
Trust me, I would love to have Ryder on this team. I want someone with finish, especially on the Sid Line. I'd be willing - as a fan - to give up something for him. A 2nd + a prospect sounds fine, when it's a faceless, nameless prospect. It's when names pop up that it gets a bit tougher.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Excuse me for butting in, but it appears to me, that Stars fans feel they could get more than a 2nd and a good prospect for Ryder, for which hope there are undoubtably instances in deadline history to support it.
Pens fans OTOH feel that if a 1st and/or Morrow is involved, they should be getting better than Ryder, in support of which there are equal instances in trade history. Neither is really wrong here and either (or both) could well happen.
For me it is more about getting a 1st. If the Stars can't get a quality young NHLer like Eakin for Ryder (which they won't because of the difference between 1 year before UFA and a deadline rental etc), I don't think they should trade for a 2nd and a good prospect unless that is all they can get. I don't know how someone could put an accurate value on whether a hypothetical 2nd and a good prospect < a 1st or vice versa, but the Stars have a bunch of players who fall into my definition of "a good prospect." I would prefer holding out for a 1st and the better chance that the team winds up with a higher quality player because the Stars need talent more than they need depth.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Stars fans still interested in shopping Brenden Morrow?

LW Brenden Morrow
RW Michael Ryder

RW Tyler Kennedy
C Theodor Blueger
2013 3rd round pick
2014 conditional 2nd round pick (only if one of them re-sign)

Kunitz-Crosby-Ryder
Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Cooke-Sutter-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Kunitz-Crosby-Ryder
Morrow-Sutter-Neal
Cooke-Jeffrey-Dupuis
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Tyler Kennedy can be a serviceable 3rd liner, he's an RFA so the Stars can control his contract (either sign him or trade him for a pick), Blueger is a good forward prospect, you get a 3rd round pick in 2013, and if Morrow OR Ryder re-sign, you get a 2nd in 2014.
If the cost of two top 6 forwards - one of them being a veteran power forward with tremendous leadership - is a 3rd liner and mediocre futures, the Pens would be rolling 4 lines of snipers by now. This coming from a Pens fan.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:11 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
For me it is more about getting a 1st. If the Stars can't get a quality young NHLer like Eakin for Ryder (which they won't because of the difference between 1 year before UFA and a deadline rental etc), I don't think they should trade for a 2nd and a good prospect unless that is all they can get. I don't know how someone could put an accurate value on whether a hypothetical 2nd and a good prospect < a 1st or vice versa, but the Stars have a bunch of players who fall into my definition of "a good prospect." I would prefer holding out for a 1st and the better chance that the team winds up with a higher quality player because the Stars need talent more than they need depth.
I think that want that but at the end of the day if no one offers a 1st or a sure fire prospect like Eakin and Dallas is given the opportunity to get a 2nd and a decent prospect you take the best prospect/pick you can get rather than just holding onto him for nothing. Dallas has done that in the past and it doesn't help the organization in any way. If you get enough 2nd's or prospects you can still move up into the late first or try to get a 1st next season. Lots of picks can equal trade chips in other deals at the draft.

Want the 1st. Try like hell to get it but if it's not on offer find the best deal possible and take it. Ryder's not going to be here next season so they may be low-balled despite their best efforts.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:23 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Sure. And you can probably get one. I am just saying I hope, you get a first for Ryder and we get another winger for something including our 1st and everyone will be happy with the deals their team has made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche Zone Play View Post
If the cost of two top 6 forwards - one of them being a veteran power forward with tremendous leadership - is a 3rd liner and mediocre futures, the Pens would be rolling 4 lines of snipers by now. This coming from a Pens fan.
Yeah, I dunno, putting a cost to Ryder is what everyone is trying to figure here and apparently it isn't easy, but Morrow is kinda inbetween that veteran power foward and a mediocre third liner himself these days, so I would not hang that part too high.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Nietzsche Zone Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Yeah, I dunno, putting a cost to Ryder is what everyone is trying to figure here and apparently it isn't easy, but Morrow is kinda inbetween that veteran power foward and a mediocre third liner himself these days, so I would not hang that part too high.
If we're basing Morrow's play in a "what have you done for me lately" way, his value is much higher now than it was a few weeks ago. He's been tearing it up on the 1st line since Whitney went down.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:52 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzsche Zone Play View Post
I'm basing my deal on the idea that Stars fans don't want Morrow. Kennedy is still young and is a RFA at the end of the year. Morrow is 34 and a UFA at the end of the year, with the Stars having a stacked top 6 with Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Whitney, Roy and Ryder, Kennedy could be a decent replacement for Morrow on the 3rd line at a cheaper cost.

Blueger isn't a "mediocre" future, he was our 2nd round pick last year, played at Shattuck-St. Mary's, having a decent Freshman year at Minnesota State playing on their 3rd line I believe, 5 goals, 13 assists, 18 points in 28 games, he also played for Latvia in the WJC, I wouldn't consider that "mediocre.

The picks aren't mediocre, they got a 2nd and a 3rd for Grossmann, they got Eakin and a 2nd for Rebeiro.

I don't think my offer is far off in terms of value, young 3rd liner with speed and tenacity, a decent center prospect, a 3rd in this years draft and if we can re-sign one of Morrow or Ryder then they get a 2nd in 2014.

Closed Thread