Notices

2013 Dallas Stars Roster Movement

Old
02-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Captain Awesome

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Jeff Pyle. Dude was completely opposite on everything Joe was going for.
Does Joe have any say in the ahl coaching situation? If so, he really has a knack for picking the wrong guy.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:39 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Does Joe have any say in the ahl coaching situation? If so, he really has a knack for picking the wrong guy.
Yes.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Seems like he got it right this time.

Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Bluesoma

Welp...looks like Fraser is the odd man out at practice today.

I predict he gets reassigned Friday at the earliest to join Texas on their road trip unless an injury occurs Thursday.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:42 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Really don't get it why he would be brought up just to sit in the press box....

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:45 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
We don't usually think of things this way -- sometimes they expect to see the call-up "earn" their shirt by practicing especially well with the big club. In that kind of situation no decision had honestly been reached on whether or not they'd play at the time of their recall.

That, or he's threatening to take his talents to the KHL and the Stars are desperately trying to pacify him.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Bluesoma

Quote:
For the "experience"? Maybe he'll get put on a line later or tomorrow or if they do powerplay drills.

I have a feeling he'll be a healthy scratch though. Just seems silly.

Bluesoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
That's where you learn Lobo. Don't you know Reilly Smith's time in the box is the explanation of his recent scoring?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
That's where you learn Lobo. Don't you know Reilly Smith's time in the box is the explanation of his recent scoring?

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
With Wandell down, they needed an extra body in case a forward couldn't play.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 02:24 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
With Wandell down, they needed an extra body in case a forward couldn't play.
If that was true, they would have called up Colton Sceviour.

While I personally don't see the benefit, we know from Heika that GMJN believes just being around the team is good for a prospect.

I personally prefer to have a guy play games even if it's in the AHL, but I see this is now an organizational belief that I probably just need to get use too.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
If that was true, they would have called up Colton Sceviour.

While I personally don't see the benefit, we know from Heika that GMJN believes just being around the team is good for a prospect.

I personally prefer to have a guy play games even if it's in the AHL, but I see this is now an organizational belief that I probably just need to get use too.
Maybe they wanted to call up a more skilled forward in case it was a top line guy who wasn't going to be able to play. If Morrow or Loui was unable to go, do you want the team putting spares like Wandell or Vincour on those top lines? Of course not. Fraser is a better fit.

You are putting far too much emphasis on any young player being scratched, even if it's for one game. It does not matter one bit. Fraser's career and development will not be negatively affected at all by him getting called up for a few days.

This stuff happens with every team every season. When players at the NHL level get hurt, the NHL team calls players up from the AHL. Sometimes they call up more veteran minor leaguers. Sometimes they call up kids. I don't see anything about this call up being out of the ordinary. It's what NHL teams have been doing for decades.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:50 PM
BigG44

I'm not putting too much emphasis on anything. I said that it's obviously something this team likes to do so I'm going to learn to live with it.

.... and who was talking about Wandell or Vincour? I mentioned Sceviour. You indicated that the purpose of calling up Fraser was they needed an extra body. If that was true and the only reason, then they would have called up Sceviour.

Fraser's call up isn't just about an extra forward. They already said this is a reward for his efforts in the AHL.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
I'm not putting too much emphasis on anything. I said that it's obviously something this team likes to do so I'm going to learn to live with it.

.... and who was talking about Wandell or Vincour? I mentioned Sceviour. You indicated that the purpose of calling up Fraser was they needed an extra body. If that was true and the only reason, then they would have called up Sceviour.

Fraser's call up isn't just about an extra forward. They already said this is a reward for his efforts in the AHL.
I'm still not sure why the bolded part has to be true. They needed a warm body and picked a guy who had been playing really well.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:09 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I'm still not sure why the bolded part has to be true. They needed a warm body and picked a guy who had been playing really well.
If the goal was a warm body for two weeks while Wandell was in the AHL, they'd pick a guy like Sceviour.

I'm not *****ing about Fraser getting called up.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Troy McClure

They have a few players apparently nursing injuries, so I can see why they would prefer to call up a guy they prefer to play.

Old
02-20-2013, 04:29 PM
BigG44

Quote:
They have a few players apparently nursing injuries, so I can see why they would prefer to call up a guy they prefer to play.
It's the same two guys that have been getting maintenance days for the past few weeks, but maybe you are right.

My guess is he doesn't play. Maybe he gets in a game in place of Roussel though.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:16 AM
BigG44

If by chance the conditioning assignment is an opportunity to showcase Wandell for a trade, Lake Erie is Colorado's affiliate, and Texas plays them again tonight.

COL needs forwards and has some extra D. I still think the perfect situation would be flipping Wandell for D depth. He's probably done in Dallas. Roussel would be the first option likely if a center goes down, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if they went with Sceviour over Wandell if a 2nd center went down. On wing, I think they'd play Vincour and Fraser over Wandell, and I think Sceviour again would probably get the nod over him. If Chiasson was healthy, he could be ahead of Wandell at wing depth.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
If by chance the conditioning assignment is an opportunity to showcase Wandell for a trade, Lake Erie is Colorado's affiliate, and Texas plays them again tonight.

COL needs forwards and has some extra D. I still think the perfect situation would be flipping Wandell for D depth. He's probably done in Dallas. Roussel would be the first option likely if a center goes down, and I wouldn't be all that surprised if they went with Sceviour over Wandell if a 2nd center went down. On wing, I think they'd play Vincour and Fraser over Wandell, and I think Sceviour again would probably get the nod over him. If Chiasson was healthy, he could be ahead of Wandell at wing depth.
What kind of return do you think Larsen+Wandell+Vincour would bring?

Old
02-23-2013, 01:40 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
What kind of return do you think Larsen+Wandell+Vincour would bring?
Colorado doesn't have the value for that. Barrie or Elliot are the only guys I'd be interested in, and I'm not sure I'd trade Larsen alone for either of them or that Colorado would consider that.

Would rather do what BigG said, stick with a Wandell + something small for a depth defender. Colorado's defense is made up of a #1 in EJ, two promising young rookies, and everyone else is a bottom-pairing guy or a scratch.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Colorado doesn't have the value for that. Barrie or Elliot are the only guys I'd be interested in, and I'm not sure I'd trade Larsen alone for either of them or that Colorado would consider that.

Would rather do what BigG said, stick with a Wandell + something small for a depth defender. Colorado's defense is made up of a #1 in EJ, two promising young rookies, and everyone else is a bottom-pairing guy or a scratch.
Didn't say it would be a trade with Colorado. Just what he thinks they could return.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:45 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Didn't say it would be a trade with Colorado. Just what he thinks they could return.
Ah, my bad.

An upgrade on Larsen. Not a significant enough one to warrant trading two bottom six forwards who still have top six potential (I do think Wandell has at least a bit left, but I'm not expecting anything from him). Unless a team really liked one of those guys, we're probably better off keeping them.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:51 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Ah, my bad.

An upgrade on Larsen. Not a significant enough one to warrant trading two bottom six forwards who still have top six potential (I do think Wandell has at least a bit left, but I'm not expecting anything from him). Unless a team really liked one of those guys, we're probably better off keeping them.
Vincour is a bottom six player and Wandell can't even crack the NHL roster.

I'm wondering if it would be better to trade them all of individually, or in a package.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Vincour is a bottom six player and Wandell can't even crack the NHL roster.

I'm wondering if it would be better to trade them all of individually, or in a package.
Where did I say they weren't?

You can't tell me Vincour doesn't have potential. Look at what he's doing in the AHL, and explain to me why that can't happen in the NHL. I'm not saying it will, but there's no reason to think that he's peaked as an NHL player.

Wandell, although he's probably done developing, still has a bit of top 6 potential IMO. He's got the speed and the hands, and there are times you can see him put it all together. I think most of that is just mental for him, which he could just randomly get over at any time. But still, I wouldn't count on it. And he's at worst a 4th line winger, we just don't have room for him anymore.

Would rather stick with our own players than get a minimal upgrade on Larsen at best.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Quote:
Ah, my bad.

There.