Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 01:21 PM
bear1

vCash: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
One game does not equal need to freak out over a rookie who had an off night.

Hell with all the young guns that played in that game last night there wasn't one that stuck out from either team. It took the elderly to produce offense for both sides, not exactly what anyone was expecting going into that one.
It not just one game watch him just him hes lost out there. Skates from one end of the rink to the other if he does get the puck some one takes it away from him with out much if a fight if any. He dosent belong out there. If he wasnt a first rounder with the hipe he was generating he would not be here.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:31 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
To be fair, though. He only got 46 seconds of PP time. Not exactly racking up the minutes there. I could see the line of thought if he got 4th line minutes and a good amount of PP time, but thats not happening.

Granlund has a 3 game point streak. Gets put on fourth line anyways. Hes looked a helluva lot better after his healthy scratch and he still hasn't been given an opportunity. Coyle gets a top-line shot while Granlund doesn't? Okay. Granlund has set-up Seto plenty of times and Seto wasn't able to bury. Let's blame Granlund for that. Okay....

His physical game has come around and he has shown a good amount of hustle. Hes been solid defensively and only had that one stupid pass last game. Granlund deserves an opportunity, even if its just one game. If not, send him to the AHL where he can get some real minutes.
This is my thought as well.

He needs to play. Sitting on a bench, and waiting to take yet another d zone faceoff is doing this kid no good. Konopka is our fourth line center, not Granlund.

You gain confidence through playing and being part of what's going on. Not sitting and watching.

Some say 9 minutes a night on the fourth line in the NHL is better than 20 minutes a night on a top line in AHL. I completely disagree with this. You think that kid is gaining confidence playing 9 minutes a night, getting a rare chance on the PP, messing up a pass, then only watching his other teammates go on to do well in the game? BS.

Granlund is also not helping our 4th line. Our 4th line against the Oil was our worst line, by far. You have a bunch of flashy players on the Oil, many of whom are highly skilled, but more on the fragile side. They need to get knocked off the damned puck, because they sure as hell will skate circles around you if given the chance. Where was Konopka? Why do we have a very skilled, but softer 4th line center?!

Old
02-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Temego

vCash: 500
Granlund needs to be on the 2nd line or at Houston. I really think he is playing better than bunch of Wild F's (Pmb, Brodz, Heatley and Cullen, even tho he's picking it up).

If he gets sent down to Houston I think he will absolutely destroy the league now that he's adjusted for the smaller rink etc. He was already Ppg there earlier, even tho he was injured at one point.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
A couple of weeks in Houston would be the best option right now. And then back to the 2nd line wing for the rest of the season...

Old
02-22-2013, 01:52 PM
nickschultzfan

The kid needs to get in the groove. You only do that by coming out again and again, shift after shift. Hard to do that on the 4th line.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:03 PM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
The kid needs to get in the groove. You only do that by coming out again and again, shift after shift. Hard to do that on the 4th line.
Exactly. Out of the 4th line or off to Houston. Only option. Yeo is an idiot if he keeps Mikael in the 4th line.

Old
02-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep. I don't think two weeks in the AHL is going to ruin his development.

Old
02-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Kulleroinen
Oilers!

I expected a lot better from MG this season. Of course he still has time to make an impact, but if he is playing with guys like Konopka... I just don't see it happening.

I would love to see MG get a chance with Koivu/Parise. That line would kick some ass.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:22 PM
forthewild

Per Russo's Blog

MiG is getting to make some popcorn tonight, hope shepp left the machine in workable condition

Big Z is back in...

Not sure what to make of that but yeah

Old
02-23-2013, 01:25 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

they are putting Konopka in because Calgary has been mouthing off on how physical they are going to play tonight.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:35 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
they are putting Konopka in because Calgary has been mouthing off on how physical they are going to play tonight.
I know but still MiG is the odd man out, really strange that PMB who's sucked so bad isn't out

Old
02-23-2013, 02:03 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

sucks that granlund is benched again. like said previously he needs to be on at least the 2nd or 3rd line or in the minors

Old
02-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Kellyr

Granlund has been pretty bad so far this season, canīt really blame Yeo from pulling him out. Half of the time he spends his time on his ass because heīs not able to handle the physicality yet and has had almost zero impact. Although it would probably be better for him to be playing (from development point of view), the team always goes first.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:13 PM
hokijanari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyr View Post
Granlund has been pretty bad so far this season, canīt really blame Yeo from pulling him out. Half of the time he spends his time on his ass because heīs not able to handle the physicality yet and has had almost zero impact. Although it would probably be better for him to be playing (from development point of view), the team always goes first.
Before last game he was positive. Last game was bad as you said.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Kellyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokijanari View Post
Before last game he was positive. Last game was bad as you said.
If it was just one bad game they wouldnīt have pulled him. Canīt really argue that he has been positive if he is dropped out of the lineup for the second time this year. He simply canīt handle physical game like todayīs and thatīs a major problem for him.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Gaps

Quote:
If it was just one bad game they wouldnīt have pulled him. Canīt really argue that he has been positive if he is dropped out of the lineup for the second time this year. He simply canīt handle physical game like todayīs and thatīs a major problem for him.
There's no way he was demoted to the 4th line based on solely his performances. He was improving before the demotion for several games, I saw it with my own eyes. If Yeo didn't see it, then he shouldn't be coaching an NHL team, and I'm sure that's not the case here. Granlund's in a very unfortunate position and that's only partly due to his own play.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I am personally fine with this game being benched. I am not going to freak out, but if he gets bench the next consecutive game, then I am going to join the bandwagon and call for Granlund to be in the minors.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:41 PM
WildOne

Im feel bad for Granlund. He has trying so much and he has development he's grinding skills and all thanks is scratching him out of line-up. Id like to see 2nd line like Zucker-Cullen-Granlund even Cullen and Seto strating find each other on ice.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Kellyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
There's no way he was demoted to the 4th line based on solely his performances. He was improving before the demotion for several games, I saw it with my own eyes. If Yeo didn't see it, then he shouldn't be coaching an NHL team, and I'm sure that's not the case here. Granlund's in a very unfortunate position and that's only partly due to his own play.
Maybe you should take his job since you clearly know better than him!

I know itīs hard to see through the fan glasses but the fact is Granlund still is like a bambi on the ice and easily made useless by physical play. You canīt pin that on anyone else, he hasnīt played well enough to be on the second line. Obviously he even canīīt do the fourth line job and that wouldnīt be beneficial for his development.

Last edited by Kellyr: 02-23-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Beegoalie

Might be time to send him back to Houston if he's gonna be demoted to 4th line and press box duty after that improvement.

Doesn't make sense to not have him playing 20 minutes a night. Send him down and let him develop.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:58 PM
WildOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Might be time to send him back to Houston if he's gonna be demoted to 4th line and press box duty after that improvement.

Doesn't make sense to not have him playing 20 minutes a night. Send him down and let him develop.
I agree. Why not let him play on Aeros 1st line than playing Wilds 4th line or being scratched. He has improved so much in Wild that he can be huge help on Aeros roster.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I am personally fine with this game being benched. I am not going to freak out, but if he gets bench the next consecutive game, then I am going to join the bandwagon and call for Granlund to be in the minors.
To me the press box is just another place he shouldn't be in. At least this is less frustrating than watching him on the ice with Rupp for less than 10 minutes in the game. I don't think he's missing much by sitting Vs. playing those small minutes.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Gaps

Quote:

I know itīs hard to see through the fan glasses but the fact is Granlund still is like a bambi on the ice and easily made useless by physical play. You canīt pin that on anyone else, he hasnīt played well enough to be on the second line. Obviously he even canīīt do the fourth line job and that wouldnīt be beneficial for his development.
Seriously? If you've read any of this thread, you'll see I'm not the only one who thinks he showed improvement. But I guess we've all got our fan glasses on Where did I say he should be centering the 2nd line? I've been advocating for sending him back to Houston. So please check your facts before you go on accusing me.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:08 PM
QnebO

Quote:
If it was just one bad game they wouldnīt have pulled him.
Are you kidding? He honestly has been playing good and improving all the time before last night.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:11 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:

I agree Granlund has not played as well as he can so far this year. But even by your logis, if he can't handle the physical game yet, what the hell good does it do to stick him on the bloody fourth line. He played well on the wing, when he was given a chance. Haven't seen him tried out there again.

Let's not forget he's a damned rookie, and the issues he's currently having, wait for it, WERE EXPECTED. None of this is a surprise. I don't have a freakin clue why he's being treated like a bad puppy for peeing on the rug, when any reasonable person should have seen this coming, given his size and what he was used to.

The only thing I am surprised by is how fast he does seem to be adapting. He had an off game last game, who cares.

This treatment of him is absurd. If he can't cut it here, send him to Houston and let him grow. This 4th line/ healthy scracth bs, is ridiculous. Decisions like this really do make me question Yeo, and no I am not blindly just giving him the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Closed Thread