HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal staying with big club or returning to Sudbury next year?

Old
07-12-2006, 11:35 PM
howlman

vCash: 500
Marc Staal staying with big club or returning to Sudbury next year?

Those are his two options as he cannot play in the AHL. I'm just curious as to where people think he will be next year? I know he's already signed but I don't think his contract counts against the cap until he's played a certain amount of games with the big club. I just don't see how Staal will play for New York when you look at the defence corps they will have in Tyutin, Kasparaitis, Malik, Rachunek, Ward, Roszival, Ozolinsh, Strudwick?, Pock?... I just don't see where Staal would get the playing time with that defence. I would assume they would want him to get as much playing time as possible for his development, so the most logical thing to do would be send him back to Sudbury, so he get loads of icetime, and then the following year he steps into New Yorks line up and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays top 4 minutes, he's a workhorse. It would be nice to get some opinions on this, thanks.

Last edited by howlman: 07-12-2006 at 11:41 PM.
howlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:38 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I want him to play here now...he's a Staal, 'nuff said. let him develop here..

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:49 PM
Doyle

My understanding is that there will be a few more spots next year and having said that he may not be ready 100% to make an impact this year. I would have to think that he will get a long look as has been said in interviews yesterday

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:51 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'm not as knowledgable as the diehard blueshirts, but I'd imagine Staal plays one more year for the Wolves. I've seen some Rangers fans that think he WILL make it, but with Kasparaitis, Tyutin, Ward, Malik, Rachunek, Pock, and Strudwick all in the mix, I think he might be getting a little bit of a "wait-your-turn" type thing.

Then again, with the success of Phaneuf, Meszaros, Kronwall, Ballard, Beauchemin, etc., it's really not unrealistic to see Staal make it out of camp.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 12:42 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuddy27 View Post
I'm not as knowledgable as the diehard blueshirts, but I'd imagine Staal plays one more year for the Wolves. I've seen some Rangers fans that think he WILL make it, but with Kasparaitis, Tyutin, Ward, Malik, Rachunek, Pock, and Strudwick all in the mix, I think he might be getting a little bit of a "wait-your-turn" type thing.

Then again, with the success of Phaneuf, Meszaros, Kronwall, Ballard, Beauchemin, etc., it's really not unrealistic to see Staal make it out of camp.
I'd strike Strudwick from you list.

Kaspar
Tyutin
Malik
Rozival (from what heard from Renney's interview today)
Ward
Rachunek

Richter
Pock
Lampman (qualified)

Question Mark:
Ozo

I won't even touch the Leetch issue.

That being said, Sather MO is he believes a team needs 8 defensemen signed that can play in the NHL. In looking at that list, I think we squeak by.

The AHL age rule sucks, but the CHL is a business too. Staal has a chance if he can out play Rachunek in camp. Simple as that. However, w/ reports of Karel playing very nicely in the RSL, I would think that may be a long shot. Therefore, I have no problem w/ a repeat of this year, send him to the Wolves and hopefully grab him for another Wolfpack Playoff.

Last edited by frozenrubber: 07-13-2006 at 12:43 AM. Reason: typo
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 01:09 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
I'd strike Strudwick from you list.

Kaspar
Tyutin
Malik
Rozival (from what heard from Renney's interview today)
Ward
Rachunek

Richter
Pock
Lampman (qualified)

Question Mark:
Ozo

I won't even touch the Leetch issue.

That being said, Sather MO is he believes a team needs 8 defensemen signed that can play in the NHL. In looking at that list, I think we squeak by.

The AHL age rule sucks, but the CHL is a business too. Staal has a chance if he can out play Rachunek in camp. Simple as that. However, w/ reports of Karel playing very nicely in the RSL, I would think that may be a long shot. Therefore, I have no problem w/ a repeat of this year, send him to the Wolves and hopefully grab him for another Wolfpack Playoff.
Everyone forgot Richter. Forget about Lampman and Strudwick. And Ozo wont be with this team next season. He'll sit in Hartford and wont be brought up unless alot of players get hurt. Even though it sounds like Renney wants to keep Rozsival he has to go and I think he will go. I think Sather will bring in Leetch so your left with this:

Malik
Rachunek
Tyutin
Kaspar
Ward
Leetch

Pock
Richter

So now you have to look at that and try to figure out where Staal fits in. Do you have him start and rotate defenseman due to Leetch's age plus Ward and Kaspar are getting up there in age.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 01:17 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Towards the end of last year I woulda said Staal had a 75% chance of making the team this season, but with the off-season acquisitions and the number of NHL-caliber defenseman on the roster right now, I honestly see him heading back to Sudbury for another year. There's no point in having him stay in the NHL this season only to get limited minutes, especially with the new UFA rules. Let him go back to the OHL, be captain for another season, play 30-40 mins a game and dominate. He'll also get to play in another WJC for Canada. Ideally you'd like him in the AHL, but rules are rules.

It didn't hurt Dion Phaneuf to play two years of junior.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Levitate

The Rangers have said it's basically up to Staal himself. I believe it was Maloney who was asked about him during the leafs lunch interview and he said he didn't want a situation where the kid was put on the roster just to be in and out of the lineup because he wasn't quite ready. He then said it really depends on how Staal plays in training camp. If he plays great and wins himself a spot, he'll get one.

I get the feeling he's going to have to play really great though.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 08:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by howlman View Post
Those are his two options as he cannot play in the AHL. I'm just curious as to where people think he will be next year? I know he's already signed but I don't think his contract counts against the cap until he's played a certain amount of games with the big club. I just don't see how Staal will play for New York when you look at the defence corps they will have in Tyutin, Kasparaitis, Malik, Rachunek, Ward, Roszival, Ozolinsh, Strudwick?, Pock?... I just don't see where Staal would get the playing time with that defence. I would assume they would want him to get as much playing time as possible for his development, so the most logical thing to do would be send him back to Sudbury, so he get loads of icetime, and then the following year he steps into New Yorks line up and I wouldn't be surprised if he plays top 4 minutes, he's a workhorse. It would be nice to get some opinions on this, thanks.
I think it's too early to tell. He could win a job in camp. I think the Rangers would be equally comfortable with him playing in New York or returning to juniors for another season.

07-13-2006, 12:00 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

How much does Ozo make? He'd be a guy I'd LOVE for the Sabres to keep in Rochester in case of injury situations like the one of last years postseason.

Definitely not room for him in our top-6, but curious nonetheless.

Old
07-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuddy27 View Post
How much does Ozo make? He'd be a guy I'd LOVE for the Sabres to keep in Rochester in case of injury situations like the one of last years postseason.

Definitely not room for him in our top-6, but curious nonetheless.
2.75 million. You can have him.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Edge

Staal is one of those tweeners. In an ideal world he'd play in the AHL, but it's not an ideal world.

It really depends on how he does in camp. Some kids grow by leaps and bounds and can come into camp and make that jump, we just don't know yet.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 12:30 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
2.75 million. You can have him.
Scratch that!! Thanks but no thanks

Old
07-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Babachka

Why cant Staal play? Hes already 19 (he would turn 20 during the season), and there were 19 yr old north american players that played last season...

Babachka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 12:51 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babachka View Post
Why cant Staal play? Hes already 19 (he would turn 20 during the season), and there were 19 yr old north american players that played last season...
not chl players. If you come from the chl then you can't playin the AHL untill your 20. Collegiate players and europeans can play in the AHL whenever they want though.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
The rule, as I understand it, is that a 19 year old from the CHL can play in the AHL if he's already played 4 seasons in the CHL. Staal has only played 3 seasons in the NHL. Therefore he will not be eligible to play in the AHL this year.

Potted Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 06:21 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Don Maloney was on Leafs Lunch/640 Toronto Wednesday afternnon.Don said Marc Staal's performance in camp will determine where he plays in 2006-07-New York or Sudbury.I posted the link to the Maloney interview in the Tom Renney on WFAN thread

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 08:20 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Rozsival will not be back.

Tyutin-Kaspar
Rachunek-Ward
Pock/Leetch-Malik
ozolinsh/richter

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 08:29 AM
bubba5

Well if he sucks at camp he will not be in the NHL this season. Can we wait till september.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2006, 09:32 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I think it's too early to tell. He could win a job in camp. I think the Rangers would be equally comfortable with him playing in New York or returning to juniors for another season.
It's not that early. The fact of the matter is that the sole way that Staal has a chance is if Rozsival is not resigned. The second that he is, Staal is ticketed back to juniors.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote