HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Franson, Fraser, Gunnarson, Holzer, Kostka all need a contract!

Old
02-23-2013, 10:32 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
dunno if i keep gunnarsson
Why?

He's less than a year older than Franson, and we continuously hear about Franson's potential. Franson continues to get less important minutes than Gunnarsson, by his 3rd. NHL coach.

I really like Franson on the PP, but I cannot disagree with all the NHL coaches Franson has had in the NHL.

He is younger than Fraser and Kostka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
I imagine both Gardiner/Rielly on the team next year. Franson is earning his keep too and is young. Gunnarsson is a steady top-four who'll make some extra coin too. Fraser and Holzer will round out the depth/replacement players on cheap deals.
Franson is 10 months younger than Gunnarsson. I'm not sure I'd say Franson is young and Gunnarsson is not young?

About the only old player they have on defense is Liles.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.

Last edited by ULF_55: 02-23-2013 at 11:04 AM.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:33 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Holzer and fraser won't cost much to re-sign. $1m tops. those are easy re-signs.

franson and gunnar will be tougher calls....they're both in line for healthy raises. gonnabe tough to sign them for under $3m, and maybe more. still, i'd probably re-up them.

if kostka keeps playing like this he'll likely price himself off our team next year.

phaneuf 6.5 - gardiner 1
Rielly 1.5 - gunnar 3.5
Fraser 1 - franson 3
Holzer 1

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
I imagine both Gardiner/Rielly on the team next year. Franson is earning his keep too and is young. Gunnarsson is a steady top-four who'll make some extra coin too. Fraser and Holzer will round out the depth/replacement players on cheap deals.

Phaneuf, Gardiner, Gunnarsson, Franson, Rielly, Fraser, Holzer.

There's seven defenders. I prefer to move Kostka if they can trade him for value, if not see what it'll take to re-sign him for depth purposes. I'd prefer the Leafs look to take whatever savings they can get off Kostka's potential raise and put it towards a top-four UFA defender. Who knows who may pop up on the market after potential buyouts this summer, or for trade.
No thanks, we can afford to take it slow with Rielly, we have Gards.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:08 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Komi buyout, gardiner up, rielly won't make the team unless one of the d is moved. We roll 8 d:

Phaneuf-holzer
Gardiner-franson
Gunnarsson-kostka
Liles-Fraser

There WILL be injuries. Only way rielly makes this team is if one of those 8 is moved.

OptimusForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

I'd break down the defense by style of player in order to have a variety of all aspects. It's important to a team's success that you have the proper player personnel to play in all areas of the game PP, PK and ES successfully.

Gardiner and Rielly are the PMD youngsters and our future.

Phaneuf and Gunnasson are the 2-way veterans.

Holzer & Fraser are the solid, physical, PK, shutdown defensive players.

That leaves Franson and Kostka as the specialty team players. Morgan Rielly's situation if he is kept next season directly effects their situations.

Komisarek and Liles - Traded/waived or bought-out, doesn't really matter how they're removed as long as they are.

02-23-2013, 12:22 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post

Franson is 10 months younger than Gunnarsson. I'm not sure I'd say Franson is young and Gunnarsson is not young?

About the only old player they have on defense is Liles.
I never said Gunnarsson wasn't young. But since you brought it up, yes they both fit into the group moving forward and should be part of it. Franson has certainly proven me wrong this year.

02-23-2013, 12:23 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
No thanks, we can afford to take it slow with Rielly, we have Gards.
Sure, but my gut tells me he's on the team next year.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:27 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Liles should be kept around. I'd trade one of Fraser/Holzer/Kostka while their value is high.
High to who ?

hobarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:
I'd be okay with all one-way deals:

Gunnarsson - 5 years $12.5 - $15
Franson - 3 years $6.6 - 7.2
Fraser - 3 years $3
Holzer - 3 years $4.2
Kostka - 3 years $3
I don't consider any of these guys as long term fixtures. Rielly, Gardiner, Finn, Blacker, etc. will steal jobs from these guys.

Gunnarsson and Franson are two proven NHLers, I'd sign them on 2 year deals for $4-5 million total. Still a good raise for their performance.

Fraser has been signing 1 year deals in the $500k-600k range last few years. Holzer and Kostka have played 12 and 18 NHL games in their career. These guys are just looking for playing time and a 1 way deal. I'd sign them 1-2 years, for salaries below the "buried" threshold, league min. ($525k) + $375k, which was $900k this year, in case we have to send them down.

Lastly the buyout candidate. I think Komisarek and Liles have lost their place on the team, buying out Komisarek would save us 1 year x $4.5 million and Liles would save us more at 3 years x $3.875 million. I'd buy out Liles, he's replaceable with puck-movers like Gardiner, Finn and Rielly in the system.

Next year

Phaneuf-Holzer
Gardiner-Kostka
Gunnarsson-Franson
Fraser-Komisarek

If Rielly wins a job there's no cap complications of sending Holzer, Kostka or Fraser down. And next summer we no longer have Komisarek's contract or the Tucker/Armstrong buyouts. $6.5 million in cap space.

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:07 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoclapper View Post
I don't consider any of these guys as long term fixtures. Rielly, Gardiner, Finn, Blacker, etc. will steal jobs from these guys.

Gunnarsson and Franson are two proven NHLers, I'd sign them on 2 year deals for $4-5 million total. Still a good raise for their performance.

Fraser has been signing 1 year deals in the $500k-600k range last few years. Holzer and Kostka have played 12 and 18 NHL games in their career. These guys are just looking for playing time and a 1 way deal. I'd sign them 1-2 years, for salaries below the "buried" threshold, league min. ($525k) + $375k, which was $900k this year, in case we have to send them down.

Lastly the buyout candidate. I think Komisarek and Liles have lost their place on the team, buying out Komisarek would save us 1 year x $4.5 million and Liles would save us more at 3 years x $3.875 million. I'd buy out Liles, he's replaceable with puck-movers like Gardiner, Finn and Rielly in the system.

Next year

Phaneuf-Holzer
Gardiner-Kostka
Gunnarsson-Franson
Fraser-Komisarek

If Rielly wins a job there's no cap complications of sending Holzer, Kostka or Fraser down. And next summer we no longer have Komisarek's contract or the Tucker/Armstrong buyouts. $6.5 million in cap space.
3 year deal provides time for the juniors to earn a spot without needing to go to the market to pick up some gap players.

If any of the juniors are ready in 2 year those other guys can be traded with short term remaining.

None of the juniors have a 100% stamp on them.

Gunnarsson getting a 5 year contract would take him to about 31/32, and he has the best record of playing big NHL minutes of all the guys involved.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
I'd break down the defense by style of player in order to have a variety of all aspects. It's important to a team's success that you have the proper player personnel to play in all areas of the game PP, PK and ES successfully.

Gardiner and Rielly are the PMD youngsters and our future.

Phaneuf and Gunnasson are the 2-way veterans.

Holzer & Fraser are the solid, physical, PK, shutdown defensive players.

That leaves Franson and Kostka as the specialty team players. Morgan Rielly's situation if he is kept next season directly effects their situations.

Komisarek and Liles - Traded/waived or bought-out, doesn't really matter how they're removed as long as they are.
This. I dont think Rielly is kept up next season, and really hope he isn't, another year in junior will only help him.

Liles I think can get traded and Komi should be amnestied. Then resign Gunnar @ 2.5-3 mil for 4-5 years, Franson @ 2-2.5 for 2 years, Kostka @ 1 for 1 year, Holzer @ 1-1.5 for 2-3 years and Fraser 1 for 1 year.

Next years D-core is:

Holzer-Phaneuf
Gunnar-Gards
Fraser-Franson
Kostka

Then Blacker would be our first call up for injuries

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:
3 year deal provides time for the juniors to earn a spot without needing to go to the market to pick up some gap players.

If any of the juniors are ready in 2 year those other guys can be traded with short term remaining.

Gunnarsson getting a 5 year contract would take him to about 31/32, and he has the best record of playing big NHL minutes of all the guys involved.
Those prospects aren't another 3 years away. Gardiner's on the team at the end of this year and he's better than every single one of those guys. Rielly was a final cut this year, he's probably makes the team next season.

That makes Kostka, Holzer and Fraser 6,7 and 8th defencemen. 1 or 2 of them are probably in minors next year. You don't sign those guys to long term deals.

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Censored23

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but what about Ranger? Would you consider trying to sign him to the Leafs next year?

Censored23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:30 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Censored23 View Post
Nobody has mentioned it yet, but what about Ranger? Would you consider trying to sign him to the Leafs next year?
I've been singing the praises of Ranger for a while now. I watched him with the Generals many years ago, followed him in Tampa, and recently seen him here in Whitby. He was an excellent player for Tampa, and played very well with the Marlies. Depending on how he comes back from his concusion, and decides to want to come back to the NHL, he will be a very good d for the Leafs. Not to mention, we share the same birthday; I'm much older than him though.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:31 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
This. I dont think Rielly is kept up next season, and really hope he isn't, another year in junior will only help him.

Liles I think can get traded and Komi should be amnestied. Then resign Gunnar @ 2.5-3 mil for 4-5 years, Franson @ 2-2.5 for 2 years, Kostka @ 1 for 1 year, Holzer @ 1-1.5 for 2-3 years and Fraser 1 for 1 year.

Next years D-core is:

Holzer-Phaneuf
Gunnar-Gards
Fraser-Franson
Kostka

Then Blacker would be our first call up for injuries
Blacker doesnt look anywhere close to being ready for spot duty in the NHL, IMHO.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 PM
tmlfan98
Disappointed

Gardiner gets traded for O'Reilly, and our d-lines look like this:

Phaneuf-Holzer

Gunnar-Franson

Fraser-Kostka

Random Free Agent Signing

tmlfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:20 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan98 View Post
Gardiner gets traded for O'Reilly, and our d-lines look like this:

Phaneuf-Holzer

Gunnar-Franson

Fraser-Kostka

Random Free Agent Signing
I would prefer that Franson be traded

Phanny/Gunnar
Gardiner/Fraser
Reilly/Kostka
Holzer

Really don't like your 3rd pairing as they are both slow and a team might be able to endure1 slow d-man but 2 in one pairing not a good idea in my mind.

hobarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:25 PM
G51 K81*

With Gardiner about to be called up, and Rielly coming up the pipeline, there is 0 room for a soft defenseman like Gunnar. He is gone this year imo, just waiting for the right deal.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Sure, but my gut tells me he's on the team next year.
EEEEsh, i'd be more willing to buy that notion if there was not this log jam on D and our new dev system.

Hopefully the days of rushing kids in is over.

Frankly, i believe the best thing that came from the BB regime was our new development approach.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:

Gunner might be our best option in a trade package.

He plays a position where we have depth and he is quality enough to form a deal around.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Censored23 View Post
I'd sign him to a quality 2 way deal.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:03 PM
Tie Domi Esquire
;;

Interesting. I remember when people were saying Gunnarsson is better than Phaneuf :lol

Just like Schenn used to be.

Tie Domi Esquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:04 PM
smitty10

Get them all signed except Kostka. He's this years Tim Brent. Decent depth player, but not worth re-signing.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:28 PM
tmlfan98
Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobarth View Post
I would prefer that Franson be traded

Phanny/Gunnar
Gardiner/Fraser
Reilly/Kostka
Holzer

Really don't like your 3rd pairing as they are both slow and a team might be able to endure1 slow d-man but 2 in one pairing not a good idea in my mind.
If we trade Franson instead, not only do we lose a powerful and accurate slap shot, but we would have to give up one more player, as Franson has less value than Gardiner.

tmlfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tie Domi Esquire View Post
Interesting. I remember when people were saying Gunnarsson is better than Phaneuf :lol

Just like Schenn used to be.
When you compare it to the cap hit, ya, i think Gunner is better value then DP.

IF Gunner is the core of a package for a #1 c, then I'm ok with the move.

IF Gunner is the core of a package for a top flight #1 D, OK.

Both unlikely to happen tho.

Gunner + 2nd for ROR would be ok with me.