HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Raphael Diaz Appreciation Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
  #76
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
These stats scream Hall of Fame to me;

NOTES
11 Seasons
11 Playoff Appearances
11 Seasons without a negative +/-
3 Stanley Cups
2 Time All-Star

SEASON STATS
833 Games Played
79 Goals
436 Assists
515 Points (0.62 PPG)
+178

PLAYOFFS STATS
165 Games
29 Goals
71 Assists
100 Points (0.61 PPG)
+42

OVERALL STATS
998 Games Played
108 Goals
507 Assists
615 Points (0.62 PPG)
+220
While he was a very good player, +/- doesn't really hold much ground when you play on elite Devils teams, behind Niedermayer and Stevens, then elite Red Wings teams with Lidstrom, Stuart and Kronwall.

He'll make the US Hockey Hall of Fame, but not the all encompassing one.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:16 AM
  #77
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Rafalski was 5'8", not 5'10" but point still applies, wouldn't cut it on HF though...

Not big and doesn't fight...PASS!
Regarding the bolded part...

I do consider Diaz as a keeper but, in the current thread, I did wish for a bigger D squad so I felt the need to reply to your “jab”!

I really like the mix and depth of players upfront and in goal, Price is Price. However I am not ready yet to label this team as a legit Contender... are you?

Personally I think that a top 4 that includes Markov, Gorges and Diaz seriously lacks, to be well balanced (it is a question of balance; I am not nitpicking at Diaz specifically here), size and toughness. Our record against the NE is 2-4-1 and I think it’s one of the reasons. As I mentioned, the sample size sure is small though.

Long story short, the day Diaz plays on the 3rd pairing (with 1st PP wave duties + 2nd wave PK duties) and his top 4 minutes are given to a bigger and tougher D, will be the day this team becomes a freakin’ legit Contender.

That said... finding a tough and big top 4 D sure isn’t an easy task so I am willing to wait for Tinordi!


PS if I remember correctly, Rafalski was paired with Scott Stevens in NJ right? Key word: balance.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:39 AM
  #78
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Regarding the bolded part...

I do consider Diaz as a keeper but, in the current thread, I did wish for a bigger D squad so I felt the need to reply to your “jab”!

I really like the mix and depth of players upfront and in goal, Price is Price. However I am not ready yet to label this team as a legit Contender... are you?

Personally I think that a top 4 that includes Markov, Gorges and Diaz seriously lacks, to be well balanced (it is a question of balance; I am not nitpicking at Diaz specifically here), size and toughness. Our record against the NE is 2-4-1 and I think it’s one of the reasons. As I mentioned, the sample size sure is small though.

Long story short, the day Diaz plays on the 3rd pairing (with 1st PP wave duties + 2nd wave PK duties) and his top 4 minutes are given to a bigger and tougher D, will be the day this team becomes a freakin’ legit Contender.

That said... finding a tough and big top 4 D sure isn’t an easy task so I am willing to wait for Tinordi!


PS if I remember correctly, Rafalski was paired with Scott Stevens in NJ right? Key word: balance.
I agree on balance but Diaz is a legit top 4 defenseman on just about any NHL team the way he is currently playing.

If Bouillon was 6'3" the symetry would be ideal as Subban and Emelin bring the lumber and Gorges plays a gritty game. That would be in an ideal world but you'd be hard pressed to figure out who to scratch based on the season so far. Gorges is a big leader, you can't scratch him, Bouillon has been a rock, Emelin brings the physical game big time and moves the puck well. Subban and Markov are no brainers. Diaz is ultra smart.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:51 AM
  #79
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I agree on balance but Diaz is a legit top 4 defenseman on just about any NHL team the way he is currently playing.

If Bouillon was 6'3" the symetry would be ideal as Subban and Emelin bring the lumber and Gorges plays a gritty game. That would be in an ideal world but you'd be hard pressed to figure out who to scratch based on the season so far. Gorges is a big leader, you can't scratch him, Bouillon has been a rock, Emelin brings the physical game big time and moves the puck well. Subban and Markov are no brainers. Diaz is ultra smart.
If you give him 3rd pairing + 1st PP wave + 2nd PK wave duties, his TOI would be higher than a normal/typical 3rd pairing D.

2012-13; Mtl D squad:

1. Gorges – Subban
2. Markov – Emelin
3. Tinordi – Diaz
Bouillon

^^wow^^ ... and I mean WOW!

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:30 PM
  #80
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Is Diaz Being Showcased?

It just struck me that maybe the reason diaz in in the top pairing with Gorges is that maybe he is being shown off for trade? He's having a good season but Subban should be there and Markov is right behind.what does everyone else think?

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:31 PM
  #81
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
It just struck me that maybe the reason diaz in in the top pairing with Gorges is that maybe he is being shown off for trade? He's having a good season but Subban should be there and Markov is right behind.what does everyone else think?
Or is it maybe because he's ****ing awesome?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
  #82
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Or is it maybe because he's ****ing awesome?
I don't think so. Yes he is a good player but he's not better the Subban and the General. We need a big shut down dman for the 3rd pairing so I think he's being shown off to draw interest before the deadline.

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
  #83
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,927
vCash: 500
No, it's because management genuinely believes he is better than Subban. They're wrong of course. I can't help but think this situation is going to correct itself soon. They can't ignore Subban much longer.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:33 PM
  #84
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
I don't think so. Yes he is a good player but he's not better the Subban and the General. We need a big shut down dman for the 3rd pairing so I think he's being shown off to draw interest before the deadline.
How is him being ****ing awesome related to the General and Subban?

Diaz has been better than both this season.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:34 PM
  #85
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
No, it's because management genuinely believes he is better than Subban. They're wrong of course. I can't help but think this situation is going to correct itself soon. They can't ignore Subban much longer.
You could be right, but I'd be willing to bet Diaz doesn't where les blue blanc et rouge after the deadline

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:36 PM
  #86
Dharvey33
Registered User
 
Dharvey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,733
vCash: 500
Markov is average at best this year evades all contact and is slow as ****. I know a lot of people here love him but i doubt he will be more than a pp specialist in the long stretch for the habs. He cannot take 24 minutes daily and it's showing lately. Abuse Subban, Gorges and Diaz, those guys are still young and can take the abuse. Emelin stills need to be a bit sheltered but he is getting there. Bouillon at 17 minutes per game is great.

Diaz has been the team's 3rd best dman overall this year behind Gorges and Subban. Markov is 4th.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:36 PM
  #87
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
How is him being ****ing awesome related to the General and Subban?

Diaz has been better than both this season.
I disagree there. He cost us the islanders game single handedly

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:37 PM
  #88
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
I disagree there. He cost us the islanders game single handedly
That's pretty harsh. We blew a 2-goal lead and couldn't cash on a late PP. Hard to single-handedly blow a game these days in those circumstances.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:37 PM
  #89
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
It just struck me that maybe the reason diaz in in the top pairing with Gorges is that maybe he is being shown off for trade? He's having a good season but Subban should be there and Markov is right behind.what does everyone else think?
that's it's ok to have more than one good d-man on the roster.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
  #90
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
You could be right, but I'd be willing to bet Diaz doesn't where les blue blanc et rouge after the deadline
Diaz is a good player though, and atm has a really cheap contract. We are winning games because we have a deep well balanced defense, and Diaz is a big part of this.

I feel pretty safe in saying Diaz will be with the habs still after the deadline. Unless someone overpays.... then who knows..but I don't think he's actively being shopped.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
  #91
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
That's pretty harsh. We blew a 2-goal lead and couldn't cash on a late PP. Hard to single-handedly blow a game these days in those circumstances.
Not really. When you stand there stargazing at your man netting the OT winner that's single handedly costing us the game when if he had been paying attention in our end could have been easily avoided.

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:41 PM
  #92
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
I don't think so. Yes he is a good player but he's not better the Subban and the General. We need a big shut down dman for the 3rd pairing so I think he's being shown off to draw interest before the deadline.
Subban sank his own ship when he didn't sign. Sorry but I hope he sits where he is at that time. The team is still winning without Subban touching #1 ice time. That proves that Subban isn'tas important as he thinks he is. Thankfully.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:44 PM
  #93
Kjell Dahlin
Registered User
 
Kjell Dahlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Québec, Québec
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
I also wish for Gorges – Subban as our #1 pairing but Diaz won his ice-time strictly because of his solid play; imo they are not showcasing him. As soon as Subban starts taking better decisions in our zone, he will, because he is a much better all around D, receive more TOI.

Side note: I really wish for 3. Tinordi – Diaz next season.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:46 PM
  #94
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
You could be right, but I'd be willing to bet Diaz doesn't where les blue blanc et rouge after the deadline
I think you're reaching, but I do admit it's strange how they're criminally underusing Subban so far. The PP and PK are floundering, and he's still playing second fiddle to Raphy.

jwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:48 PM
  #95
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Subban sank his own ship when he didn't sign. Sorry but I hope he sits where he is at that time. The team is still winning without Subban touching #1 ice time. That proves that Subban isn'tas important as he thinks he is. Thankfully.
So ridiculous.

Subban was offered a short term deal for less than freakin' Del Zotto. But he is the one at fault for the hold out I guess. It wasn't Bergevin who lowballed on a short term deal him uh?

Then you pile on with more stupid when you say he should sit where he is because he didn't just accept whatever ridiculous offer the habs first presented?

And make the team lose games like it lost on thursday just for the sake of proving a point ? That in the end, you're not even going to be able to prove because eventually it's certain Subban will take over and show that yes he is very important to this team.

I read your post and saw zero logic whatsoever, only random hate. I can only wonder where such thoughts can come from.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:49 PM
  #96
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
If you give him 3rd pairing + 1st PP wave + 2nd PK wave duties, his TOI would be higher than a normal/typical 3rd pairing D.

2012-13; Mtl D squad:

1. Gorges – Subban
2. Markov – Emelin
3. Tinordi – Diaz
Bouillon

^^wow^^ ... and I mean WOW!
Me likey!

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:52 PM
  #97
Pigems*
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
I think you're reaching, but I do admit it's strange how they're criminally underusing Subban so far. The PP and PK are floundering, and he's still playing second fiddle to Raphy.
I may be but can you think of any other reason? I like diaz and all but he should not be first pair. Not over subban.

Pigems* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:56 PM
  #98
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
Not really. When you stand there stargazing at your man netting the OT winner that's single handedly costing us the game when if he had been paying attention in our end could have been easily avoided.
I stayed out of the game threads for that game, but how many of you actually thought that Hickey was Diaz's guy? Without going into the mechanics of how the defense "should" have been played, Tavares was Diaz's guy how that 3-on-3 unfolded, and Gally/Gorges had to do a better job handing off Hickey to Gorges, with Gally picking up Grabner (and not getting the puck passed through him by a guy lying on the ice) instead of going right to the puck/Tavares (as he was on the ice, and Diaz was already there).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:58 PM
  #99
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigems View Post
I may be but can you think of any other reason? I like diaz and all but he should not be first pair. Not over subban.
doesnt matter if he should or not, team is winning and he's doing a'right. not perfect, but good.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:00 PM
  #100
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,637
vCash: 500
That OT goal was on Gorges more than anyone else.

I really don't see why we would trade Diaz, unless the club is confident Beaulieu or Nygren is ready to be an NHLer next year. Not to mention Diaz is better than Emelin and Boullion at everything except toughness.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.