HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The first overall pick does mean something!

Old
02-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
The first overall pick does mean something!

Looking at the scoring race as of Feb 22,2013 4 of the top 5 scorers are all first overall picks. This is statement to the change in scouting qulaity in the 2000's.

It also makes me wonder just how good the Oilers will be in a few years when their players grow up.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Gustav Nyquist
#FireHolland

I had no idea.

Gustav Nyquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:42 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayos View Post
It also makes me wonder just how good the Oilers will be in a few years when their players grow up.
As much as I'd like to compare Hall/RNH/Yakupov to Crosby/Tavares/Stamkos, they aren't in the same tier.

With draft sports (NHL, NBA, NFL), the quality of 1st overall picks can vary significantly from year to year.

Last edited by 5RingsAndABeer: 02-23-2013 at 03:51 PM.
5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
As much as I'd like to compare Hall/RNH/Yakupov to Crosby/Malkin/Stamkos, they aren't in the same tier.

With draft sports (NHL, NBA, NFL), the quality of 1st overall picks can vary significantly from year to year.
I would say that there is a good chance that RNH compares to every one of those guys except Crosby Statswise when all is said and done. Hall is more of a powerforward and they score less points overall. It is a little early to judge where Yakupov sits in that crew yet.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Sparksrus3

Malkin was 2 overall his draft yr.

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Plante

Quote:
I would say that there is a good chance that RNH compares to every one of those guys except Crosby Statswise when all is said and done. Hall is more of a powerforward and they score less points overall. It is a little early to judge where Yakupov sits in that crew yet.
I Miss Big Bert before he went all crazy.

Powerforward with almost 100 point dominance.

Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:51 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
Malkin was 2 overall his draft yr.
Oops, meant Tavares.

Malkin is still in that upper tier though

Old
02-23-2013, 03:53 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
I Miss Big Bert before he went all crazy.

Powerforward with almost 100 point dominance.
In the dead puck era too.

But Hall is a very different type of power forward than Bertuzzi. Hall will probably be a more consistent scorer over his career, but I don't think he'll catch lightning like Bertuzzi did with the West Coast Express.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
In the dead puck era too.
Bertuzzi may actually be the only offensive player who actually benefited from playing in the clutch-and-grab era.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:01 PM
BOUNCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Bertuzzi may actually be the only offensive player who actually benefited from playing in the clutch-and-grab era.
Jaromir Jagr was alright during the clutch and grab era

BOUNCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Jason Allison

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:20 PM
burf

Anyone who doesn't think Hall is going to be a top scorer in the league hasn't watched him play much. He's usually by far the best player on the ice from either team.

And I'm saying this as someone who isn't an Edmonton fan (but does get all their games on local TV.)

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 06:11 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Looking at the scoring race as of Feb 22,2013 4 of the top 5 scorers are all first overall picks. This is statement to the change in scouting qulaity in the 2000's.

Really not difficult to scout guys like Crosby, Stamkos, and Tavares. The Oilers top picks are overated and were not the best players of that draft.
Galchenyuk is the best player
Seguin over Hall
RNH never impressed me

Top offense doesnt make a team
Oilers have so many missing pieces even if the pix turn out better than I expect

Dont forget that Pittsburg has won only one cup with Malkin and Crosby

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 08:11 AM
stayinalive

vCash: 1078
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
Really not difficult to scout guys like Crosby, Stamkos, and Tavares. The Oilers top picks are overated and were not the best players of that draft.
Seguin over Hall
RNH never impressed me

Oilers have so many missing pieces even if the pix turn out better than I expect

Yakupov was performing over 2 PPG before his injury. Taking Galchenyuk 1st, who was injured the whole year would have been too risky. Yakupov was the consensus at Draft Day.

Hall has a better PPG then Seguin in all three seasons so far. Also this year he has 16 points in 16. I would say Hall and Seguin are on par.

RNH had a very good rookie season and is #1 C. I do not see what is wrong with the pick. You could argue that you like Landeskog better, but the Oilers are definitley better of with RNH.

And Malkin and Crosby are still in the mid 20s. They have a lot more time to win more then "only" one cup

stayinalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Seguin over Hall
RNH never impressed me

These are all not necessarily true. They are all still very young and we won't really know until they reach their potential.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:19 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
These are all not necessarily true. They are all still very young and we won't really know until they reach their potential.
My point is that the 1st overall player picked consensus or not isnt always the best player in the draft and that even if he is other top picks can be great. Picking in top 5 in most drafts should net a good player. Picking a player #1 cuz its the consensus pick and his stats in the minors are better is not always recommended. I can argue that the Oilers could have selected Huberdeau instead of RNH

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
You could argue a lot of things, but it would be seriously premature to do so right now.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 12:30 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
My point is that the 1st overall player picked consensus or not isnt always the best player in the draft and that even if he is other top picks can be great. Picking in top 5 in most drafts should net a good player. Picking a player #1 cuz its the consensus pick and his stats in the minors are better is not always recommended. I can argue that the Oilers could have selected Huberdeau instead of RNH
The Oilers didn't take Hall, RNH, and Yakupov because they had the best stats in the minors. They took them because they were the BPA.

Old
02-25-2013, 01:07 AM
Vikingstad
**** the King

People need to wait before writing players off. Generally my outlook is that what you see at age 22-23 is close to what you will get out of a forward. 25-26 for defensemen. Goalies are too unpredictable.

Vikingstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 02:55 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Quote:
Quote:
Seguin over Hall
RNH never impressed me

Try watching some games before you make stupid remarks like these. These players are 19, 20, and 21 there is no way to tell who's better right now.

Galchenyuk is better than Yakupov after 17 games? Really?
Hall is at worst = to Seguin, this year hes out playing him by far.
If RNH doesn't impress you, you must be really hard to impress....or you've never watched him play taking Huberdeau over him is laughable, even Dale Tallon said he would have taken him if he was available.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:13 AM
giddy up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritzky98 View Post
Try watching some games before you make stupid remarks like these. These players are 19, 20, and 21 there is no way to tell who's better right now.

Galchenyuk is better than Yakupov after 17 games? Really?
Hall is at worst = to Seguin, this year hes out playing him by far.
If RNH doesn't impress you, you must be really hard to impress....or you've never watched him play taking Huberdeau over him is laughable, even Dale Tallon said he would have taken him if he was available.
I'm with you on this. Oiler made all the right picks on draft day(s) IMO. Have to wait 3-5 years to actually see though.

giddy up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 03:45 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
So much fail in this post.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:04 PM
PensFan6687

Quote:
Seguin over Hall
RNH never impressed me

This post has little value, unless you can see into the future, which I am thinking no, then all that has been said here can look a lot different years from now. It's called assuming and you know what they say about those who assume...

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
The Oilers didn't take Hall, RNH, and Yakupov because they had the best stats in the minors. They took them because they were the BPA.
Actually, I think they took them as automatic ISS consensus picks, with the jury still out on whether they were the correct decision, since those picks have yet to separate themselves from the pack.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:14 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
I don't think you are going to get many people to agree with you that RNH will score as much as Malkin or Stamkos. I think that is a little far fetched to put it as nicely as I can.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote