HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marian Gaborik

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 03:38 PM
chosen

vCash: 500
Gaborik is Strawberry. Things in bunches when it counts least.

People who say Gaborik looks disinterested at times and continue to tell us of his importance, don't get it in my opinion. You should try at every level. To not give full effort is an indictment of character. To pay someone that amount of money and hamstring the rest of your payroll is a poor use of resources.

The injury excuse is old. It preceded him here and it's still here. Hard to imagine it won't always be here.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Gaborik is Strawberry. Things in bunches when it counts least.

People who say Gaborik looks disinterested at times and continue to tell us of his importance, don't get it in my opinion. You should try at every level. To not give full effort is an indictment of character. To pay someone that amount of money and hamstring the rest of your payroll is a poor use of resources.

The injury excuse is old. It preceded him here and it's still here. Hard to imagine it won't always be here.

He was real strawberry for 102 games last year too.

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?season=20112012

All those game winners and OT winners, consistency, etc.. Those three game winners that count least this year too. Whether you or anyone else likes it or not, he does lead the team in game winners with 3. Thats 3/8 wins here.

Hes honestly been playing pretty good lately, just cant pot them. He will. Nash is given benefit of the doubt for his lack of goals, so why the double standard?

Lets worry about something more troubling. #19.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'm glad 3rd OT in the playoffs vs Washington as when it mattered least. Infantile way of thinking, or at the very best a poor memory. Expected response: "Well, that was the ONLY one."

Old
02-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I thought Gabby was great last game. He actually seems to score some pretty clutch goals for us.

He gets close to scoring. REAL close. Remember, he is still recovering from shoulder surgery and his shot isn't as potent as it used to be for that very reason.

02-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

I thought he played very well last game, but couldn't finish.

02-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
I'm glad 3rd OT in the playoffs vs Washington as when it mattered least. Infantile way of thinking, or at the very best a poor memory. Expected response: "Well, that was the ONLY one."

Ha, yeah, one of what, 11 in the last year and a half?

Gaborik's been more clutch the more his career in blue goes on.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:22 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyoooo View Post
He was real strawberry for 102 games last year too.

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?season=20112012

All those game winners and OT winners, consistency, etc.. Those three game winners that count least this year too. Whether you or anyone else likes it or not, he does lead the team in game winners with 3. Thats 3/8 wins here.

Hes honestly been playing pretty good lately, just cant pot them. He will. Nash is given benefit of the doubt for his lack of goals, so why the double standard?

Lets worry about something more troubling. #19.
GWG is one of the most stupid stats ever seen. If you score a goal to put your team up 4-0 and the other team scores 3 afterwards, is it still a game winning goal?

Consistency isn't something you measure over a season. It's something you measure over a career.

The bottom line of my statement remains: Anyone who thinks that intermittent effort is something worthy of praise, in my opinion, just doesn't get it.

Gaborik is not the biggest problem but he is an overpaid slug, to me. If you don't want to play every shift, tell the coach and take a seat.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:26 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
GWG is one of the most stupid stats ever seen. If you score a goal to put your team up 4-0 and the other team scores 3 afterwards, is it still a game winning goal?

Consistency isn't something you measure over a season. It's something you measure over a career.

The bottom line of my statement remains: Anyone who thinks that intermittent effort is something worthy of praise, in my opinion, just doesn't get it.

Gaborik is not the biggest problem but he is an overpaid slug, to me. If you don't want to play every shift, tell the coach and take a seat.
Not sure if im missing something here but yes, yes it is. Its a pretty good statistical measure of clutch goalscoring. How else would you measure being clutch?

Hmm, okay, then lets take a gander at his Ranger career, shall we?

236 GP, 112 G, 109 A, 221 P, +39

.936 PPG, .474 GPG.

Overpaid, you were saying?

Old
02-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not sure if im missing something here but yes, yes it is. Its a pretty good statistical measure of clutch goalscoring. How else would you measure being clutch?

.936 PPG, .474 GPG.

Considering his injury riddled 2nd season with us, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Heyoooo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Considering his injury riddled 2nd season with us, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Dude, I just dont get it. I really dont.

Lest we remind ourselves of playing through the playoffs with a torn labrum.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:32 PM
Heyoooo*

Richards and Callahan, two leaders and clutch players over their careers, had 9 GWG apiece last year. Id say the stat is pretty telling of who comes up big at key times.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

I don't think Gaborik's been that bad. I think he's actually suffering from playing with Richards. It's been mentioned, Gaborik isn't Nash. His skills aren't in getting through defenders, it's getting around them, waiting for a pass, and firing it home with no problem. Look what his Center has been doing. Gaborik has no playmaker. Has Richards made 1 good setup for him this year?

Old
02-23-2013, 08:57 PM
NYR Viper

I say trade him now and get something back. He isn't going to fit this system and the team needs a shake up. He will bring back the greatest return. The teams needs quitea bit...

Old
02-23-2013, 09:04 PM
chosen

Quote:

.936 PPG, .474 GPG.

Again, is scoring a goal in OT the same thing as scoring the fourth goal to make it 4-0only to see the other team score 3 to make that 4th goal a game winner? Why not address the question? Why not answer the fact that he is intermittently great and intermittently disappears instead of bringing up stats? His opposite is Callahan. He brings it every shift. That is the primary reason he is the fan's favorite skater.

I have never disputed he is an excellent offensive player. My contention is that if you appear to not be bringing it all the time, as even his supporters admit here, and you are prone to injury, you are not worth having at 7.5 million a year.

To me, no. To you, yes. We disagree.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:04 PM
SA16
Two by two...

Doesn't fit the system but he scored 40 goals last season. How exactly is trading the teams best goal scorer, who has scored 40 twice in three years, going to improve the offense? Additionally the issue is not having players not fitting the system but using a system that does not fit the players given that a system is significantly easier to change than a roster and should be designed such that it maximizes the rosters ability.

Quote:
Again, is scoring a goal in OT the same thing as scoring the fourth goal to make it 4-0only to see the other team score 3 to make that 4th goal a game winner? Why not address the question? Why not answer the fact that he is intermittently great and intermittently disappears instead of q

I have never disputed he is an excellent offensive player. My contention is that if you appear to not be bringing it all the time, as even his supporters admit here, are you worth having at 7.5 million a year?

To me, no. To you, yes. We disagree.
You should not make the statement that Gaborik scores unnecessary goals rather than important ones without providing the data showing that he does this significantly more often than other goal scorers of similar caliber. Additionally I can almost guarantee that if there is any difference (highly unlikely there will be much of one) it will not be statistically significant and you are just basing it on a biased sample size of games during a period where he isn't playing his greatest.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:11 PM
wr50l

Gaborik is what he is. He's a complimentary piece who will absolutely thrive on a good line. It's only an acceptable style when things are going well.

Goals are incredibly valuable, but even 40 doesn't make up with some of the **** he gets away with.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:18 PM
M0rbid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr50l View Post
Gaborik is what he is. He's a complimentary piece who will absolutely thrive on a good line. It's only an acceptable style when things are going well.

Goals are incredibly valuable, but even 40 doesn't make up with some of the **** he gets away with.
Like Marian Hossa.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Lundsanity30

Yeah blame a guy who scores 40 every year because he doesnt fit into the coach's ******** system

Old
02-23-2013, 09:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wr50l View Post

Complimentary pieces should not be paid 7.5 million per year in a capped league.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:27 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I say trade him now and get something back. He isn't going to fit this system and the team needs a shake up. He will bring back the greatest return. The teams needs quitea bit...
Or they could u know... fire the coach and ditch the system that don't work

Old
02-23-2013, 09:28 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Yeah blame a guy who scores 40 every year because he doesnt fit into the coach's ******** system
I understand you might like the guy, but he doesnt score 40 every year.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Or they could u know... fire the coach and ditch the system that don't work
System was good enough for 1st in the East last year.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I understand you might like the guy, but he doesnt score 40 every year.
2 out of 3 years here. And the other one he played with no one missed 20 games and still scored 22.. you don't make your team better by trading your top goal scorer. Your star player is always more important than the coach

Old
02-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
And should have been 1 and done vs ottawa. And the system was bs for the reason. Lundqvist was why we won the east

Old
02-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Broadway Brad

Quote:
It's not good enough to win in the playoffs. This system really stunts the offense and then when teams are buckling down defensively in the playoffs, the offense becomes even worse.

Closed Thread