HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
I watched the 3rd period last night because I found out it was being televised for once.
One thing I noticed is when Kitchener scored the ENG did the ref give Labardo the misconduct because he cleaned the puck out of the net, or was it another reason?

Old
02-17-2013, 07:51 PM
ottergolfer

If the guys around him converted on just 50% of Mc Davids set ups he would be in the top ten in total points..IMHO .

Old
02-17-2013, 11:04 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergolfer View Post
If the guys around him converted on just 50% of Mc Davids set ups he would be in the top ten in total points..IMHO .
I agree,he is 14 points from being in the top 10 as the leading scorers sits now. McDavid has 54 pts I think if you factor in the 50% conversion he would easily have 70 pts.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:35 PM
mapleleaf979

One of the best articles Ive ever read about Connor Mcdavid. Incredible piece. Worth the read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/sp...anted=all&_r=0

Old
02-18-2013, 06:23 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
One of the best articles Ive ever read about Connor Mcdavid. Incredible piece. Worth the read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/18/sp...anted=all&_r=0

a great story but I think this is the most telling line in it .....

Afterward, Otters players filed out of the locker room every few minutes, one by one, down a pale hallway, past David Mazzone, who had been the Otters’ security chief for 17 years.

A few of the boys looked smug.

“They don’t take it hard enough,” Mazzone said, his arms folded.

the real reason this team has the record it does.......

Old
02-18-2013, 08:10 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

Afterward, Otters players filed out of the locker room every few minutes, one by one, down a pale hallway, past David Mazzone, who had been the Otters’ security chief for 17 years.

That was interesting for sure. The thing that hit me the most was this:

"After games when he was much younger, McDavid was a mess, his mother said. He would cry and shake, anxious under his own pressure, feeling so indebted to produce for his teammates, his buddies."

For me that's a young boy right there already showing how unique he is, how special his love is for the game. That he was born with competitive spirit. A passion for the game that is so deep, that few can understand. His parents did an incredible job.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:27 PM
ottergolfer

Quote:
That was interesting for sure. The thing that hit me the most was this:

"After games when he was much younger, McDavid was a mess, his mother said. He would cry and shake, anxious under his own pressure, feeling so indebted to produce for his teammates, his buddies."

For me that's a young boy right there already showing how unique he is, how special his love is for the game. That he was born with competitive spirit. A passion for the game that is so deep, that few can understand. His parents did an incredible job.
That line sums up Conner for sure.....lots of respect to his parents for the fore site to push just hard enough.. most cross the line with kids that do not have a fraction of the talent he does.
I think the line i quoted says what needs to change with in the Otters organization .

Old
02-19-2013, 12:38 PM
KnightSpit

NY Times Article and McDavid and Erie Future

Quote:

Otter Golfer thanks for that great article. Any team in the O, would love to have McDavid and even though I follow the SPITS and KNIGHTS, two ERIE Rivals, how can you not wish the kid well? As good as the kid is, one player can not win it all. You gotta wonder about who makes the Erie player decisions, cause the team should be doing better. Still really like that Harper Kid as well. But you guys still have the same D coach for the last 12 years, I mean give it a shake, see if Paul Coffey is available to take the job. GOOD LUCK next year, I think your playoffs are done and here's hoping for McDavid and the leauge for that matter, that ERIE makes the playoffs next year.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:44 PM
SDRFAOBFH1

knightspit: the two bit answer:Sherwood Bassin.

Badeebadeebadeebadee-that's all folks. Sort of fits doesn't it.

97 also deserves his fare share for this seasons results, if your holding your hopes on a 15yr old to save this francise it won't happen. I would say he is holding his own but it's not enough.

Lastly we know what Crispy did in the net, can 97 play goal?

Old
02-20-2013, 12:33 PM
MoneyballHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
knightspit: the two bit answer:Sherwood Bassin.

Badeebadeebadeebadee-that's all folks. Sort of fits doesn't it.

97 also deserves his fare share for this seasons results, if your holding your hopes on a 15yr old to save this francise it won't happen. I would say he is holding his own but it's not enough.

Lastly we know what Crispy did in the net, can 97 play goal?
Bassin knows what the issues are and can address them moving forward. 97 has been great as well as some others. 2 very good lines and great goaltending which began to unwind with injuries and 40/50+ shots per game allowed on a far too regular basis. The Otters achilles heel has been their defensive play. These issues are far from insurmountable though.

For a high profile example of how quickly things can turn around Randy Carlyle is putting on a clinic well worth paying attention to. It doesn't require blowing up every year to fix. Defensive accountability up and down the roster. Hard to play against guys down low at the half boards that don't hear footsteps. Speed up the middle. Jake Gardener and Jonathon Liles out. Mark Fraser and Cody Franson in on the back end- for starters. Players that would never have been in Ron Wilsons top 6 never mind seeing the 25+ mins per game the other two were used to. Shame Yzerman snapped up Keith Aulie and they shipped Schenn to Philly but Holzer is the first guy to settle Phaneuf down since the loss of Aulie. Difference is night and day and a treat to watch. Winning at last.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Traded Legwand
Vote for Weber

I'm heading back home at the beginning of March, hoping to see McDavid play. Sucks the team hasn't been worth a damn since my dad left. (He was the equipment manager in the late 90's early 00's.) Glad to see Dave is still running things down by the room.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:25 PM
hockeye

It is honestly starting to get embarrassing to be an otters fan At this point. They are losing games 8-1..8-5..13-3... Embarrassing and absolutely ridiculous, and at this point I could care less if Bassin moves the team because either way the team will suck. You can't constantly be rebuilding and win 10 games and then the year after 17? ( which I doubt they will win another this year) it's getting ridiculous .. Fix your damn team Bassin it's embarrassing.
I honestly just give up and I am expecting another poor season next year.. Maybe 25 wins? I don't know though that might be to high of expectations for a team and organization that never meets any expectations

Old
02-22-2013, 08:47 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieWatcher View Post
It is honestly starting to get embarrassing to be an otters fan At this point. They are losing games 8-1..8-5..13-3... Embarrassing and absolutely ridiculous, and at this point I could care less if Bassin moves the team because either way the team will suck. You can't constantly be rebuilding and win 10 games and then the year after 17? ( which I doubt they will win another this year) it's getting ridiculous .. Fix your damn team Bassin it's embarrassing.
I honestly just give up and I am expecting another poor season next year.. Maybe 25 wins? I don't know though that might be to high of expectations for a team and organization that never meets any expectations
Mcdavid is going to be scary good next year, dont worry. He should be near 100 points. They should get an incredible piece, a future NHL player, on the backend in this 2013 draft. That will help greatly. Otters can turn this team around with there first 3 picks in the 2013 draft to turn this team into a playoff team, next year. I think 3 of there top 6 defenseman should be let go.

Old
02-22-2013, 09:08 PM
hockeye

Quote:
Mcdavid is going to be scary good next year, dont worry. He should be near 100 points. They should get an incredible piece, a future NHL player, on the backend in this 2013 draft. That will help greatly. Otters can turn this team around with there first 3 picks in the 2013 draft to turn this team into a playoff team, next year. I think 3 of there top 6 defenseman should be let go.
I hope what you say is accurate because I am dying to see a winning team

Old
02-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Hes worth the price of my seasons tickets all by him self right now. It's going to be so much fun to watch this kid the next two seasons.
And i agree that what ever d-man the get with the 2nd pick will be a stud. The only defensemen worth keeping are Pelech-McDowell. Everyone else is a joke

Old
02-23-2013, 07:33 AM
MoneyballHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieWatcher View Post
I hope what you say is accurate because I am dying to see a winning team
Agree with Mapleleaf. 97 will be scary good and a high end Dman in the draft is a good start even if you can't pin too much hope on an incoming 16 year old. Issues aren't insurmountable.

The lack of a will to compete and a lack of intensity from some has hurt this team. It shouldn't matter what the name on your jersey is, how skilled you are or where or by whom you were drafted. After winning just 10 games last year if you aren't desperate for 2 points every night this year holy moly.

If, as Bassin says, there are guys that don't play like they want it bad enough or fold up like a deck of cards when the team is down they should be moved out regardless of skill set.

To win, these guys need to be much, much harder to play against. Hopefully the guys they bring in have a habit of winning and a distaste for being blown out.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:58 AM
SDRFAOBFH1

Erie lacks leadership and experience from the players on and off the ice... They had some of those players in camp, those that would lead by example! As I said before SB made political decisions and not sound hockey ones....and this is the end! Pretty sad eh!

Old
02-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRFAOBFH1 View Post
Erie lacks leadership and experience from the players on and off the ice... They had some of those players in camp, those that would lead by example! As I said before SB made political decisions and not sound hockey ones....and this is the end! Pretty sad eh!
Who did they have in camp that they didn't keep that would have helped? Other than Murphy he is the only one that i don't understand why they don't have him up and playing.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:51 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
Who did they have in camp that they didn't keep that would have helped? Other than Murphy he is the only one that i don't understand why they don't have him up and playing.
I bet they are kicking themselves for keeping Kuleshov instead of Olden right now. I think that has to be the worst decision of the season by far.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:57 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
I bet they are kicking themselves for keeping Kuleshov instead of Olden right now. I think that has to be the worst decision of the season by far.
you are probably right,despite Pelech and others being out at Windsor,he did not see

a shift even though he was dressed

Old
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Ok ill agree with you on that one. To be honest i would take a hot dog and a soda over Kuleshov.
I will say though Olden didnt produce like i thought he would last season.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:51 PM
ottergolfer

an interesting stat to see would be the number of assists by Otters defense men on opposing team goals.

a give away by (insert any name) and its in the net..Otters down by 3 now ... another give a way in the d zone comes back to haunt the Otters.....

hate to keep chirping these guys but man enough is enough , if you don't want to play here and give 100% do the fans a favor and don't dress for the game.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:10 AM
MoneyballHockey

Quote:
an interesting stat to see would be the number of assists by Otters defense men on opposing team goals.

a give away by (insert any name) and its in the net..Otters down by 3 now ... another give a way in the d zone comes back to haunt the Otters.....

hate to keep chirping these guys but man enough is enough , if you don't want to play here and give 100% do the fans a favor and don't dress for the game.
Easy. Look at their +/-. Do you continue to put players in situations where they aren't helping you win? We play 'em cause we think they're better and we think they're better because we play 'em. It's a vicious circle.

Lotsa criticism levelled at the players and this may be valid but on the other hand if half your bench figures no amount of hard work = reward and the other half figure no amount of sloppiness = less ice team or special teams you end up with a bench full of underachievers. Ice time isn't being earned. Where is the accountability?

If players that aren't helping you win are still coughing up the puck along the half wall or D that turn over the puck down low with regularity are still killing penalties and on the power play and the rest have concluded nothing they do will affect their ice time anyway don't expect a different outcome anytime soon. This team can't afford to let anything other than on ice execution determine who plays and when. Forget where we drafted him or who drafted him after he got here. Takes some courage though.

Old
02-24-2013, 04:29 PM
hockeye

To be an otters fan at this point is becoming impossible.
This team won 10 games last year but alright that was excusable seeing that we were so young and with no experience but to win 17 games this year is not acceptable. Bassin should be embarrassed
The otters always say they are rebuilding And it never works
They have a decent season then a good season with expectations (like a couple years ago) but then they blow it in the playoffs, and they put everything in that season and the following year they suck (like last year)
It's the same cycle: 3 awful years followed by 1 or 2 decent years then maybe 1 above average year and it then starts all over
It's pathetic
So even if they are good in a year or 2 it won't matter because the following 4 years will be just as frustrating as they are now
Bassin give up the game because you are hurting the little left fan base in Erie

Old
02-24-2013, 10:04 PM
OHLFan8771

What do other posters think about the Hodgson hit today? I could not tell if he hit him in the head but I think it was with out question late. I am thinking Hodgson is done for the season and will most likely be sitting a few games to start next season.

I would also think Ryan Hutchinson will be getting suspended as well for kicking Evan's helmet completely across the ice (nearly in the stands) and breaking the visor off it. Then throwing a chair 15 feet down the run way when exiting the ice.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 02-24-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Closed Thread