HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winger Acquisition Thread | Part V: Wingers in the Hands of an Angry (Hockey) God

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 03:04 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

vCash: 500
Sutter will fit right in on the left side of the PP with his RHS.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

1) no one on the market would replace Malkin's production / potential. there are guys who could improve the situation though, short term and long-term.

2) I think it's not "replace in 2 weeks with Malkin" at this point but more like "replace in 2 months" if we're lucky. 2 weeks would be the absolute, most positive scenario possible given his current condition and the normal procedure for clearing a player after suffering a concusion. According to latest update, that diagnosis is all but a foregone conclusion.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Sutter will fit right in on the left side of the PP with his RHS.
I'd be shocked if Sutter is on the top powerplay. It'll be Sid, Neal, Kunitz, Letang and Martin.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspensfan View Post
I really don't see how they can go about affording both of Perry and Getzlaf, if one signs, the other goes. Getzlaf is their captain, number 1 centre and the face of their franchise. Most likely he stays and Perry is outta there.
Depends on what they sign for / if they're willing to both take a bit less to keep the gang together. Enitrely possible IMO; they've been on the same line for a long time and had a lot of success.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:09 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Our roster cannot take another major hit up front. We are 1 injury away from being in big trouble regarding our forwards.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanTitov View Post
shortened season. we drop 2 games we are out of the playoffs so i dont think its premature or something we can just brush off and say he will be back. have we learned nothing form crosby? im simply stating if shero was planning on making an addition before the deadline does he now speed up that time table.
Shero does nothing because he has no idea of Malkin's diagnosis or return date. If he's projected to be game-ready soon, then it would be stupid to waste valuable resources on a replacement.

We've shown that we can manage just fine during the regular season when down a superstar or two.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:13 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Shero does nothing because he has no idea of Malkin's diagnosis or return date.
I'd say he's got a pretty good idea that minimum, Malkin is out for 2-4 weeks, more like 4-6. More details emerging now and they're not good.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I'd say he's got a pretty good idea that minimum, Malkin is out for 2-4 weeks, more like 4-6. More details emerging now and they're not good.
where are people getting these details? what are the updates?

Anyone we bring in will be brought in with Malkin's return in mind. The only thing different is we might try to make the move a little sooner and might put a tiny bit more value on the ability to play center as long as long term the guy can play wing.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
We'll wait and see. If Malkin's projected out for around a month, I don't see any reason to trade for another center unless it's a versatile type who can effectively move to wing when Geno returns.

Our guys can hold the fort 'til Geno comes back.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
where are people getting these details? what are the updates?
More people / sources confirming Malkin's symptoms as severe, just waiting on the official Shero presser now. Or Bylsma presser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trib
Penguins center Evgeni Malkin is experiencing concussion symptoms, including a severe headache and mild disorientation, multiple sources confirmed Saturday.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
More people / sources confirming Malkin's symptoms as severe, just waiting on the official Shero presser now. Or Bylsma presser.
does that mean anything at all about the time it would take to recover? Those are the details I'm wondering about.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
does that mean anything at all about the time it would take to recover? Those are the details I'm wondering about.
Yeah. There's really nothing but idle speculation on that front at the moment.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

I'm still hoping for, ROR. He's probably our best alternative, and moving forward with Malkin back.

People thinking one/two weeks and Malkin is back are crazy.

RRP, I doubt the hit on Hossa was anywhere near the magnitude Geno's was against the boards. 3 days, just no.

I'm going with a solid month, and that's just to get him healthy, then there's getting back into game shape, another two weeks. At that point you're looking at 2 weeks give or take in the season.

Best case scenario.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
right. that's what I thought. CV just seems awfully sure about this 4-6 week minimum.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:31 PM
leafspensfan

Quote:
Depends on what they sign for / if they're willing to both take a bit less to keep the gang together. Enitrely possible IMO; they've been on the same line for a long time and had a lot of success.
it's hard to believe they'd each take a 2 million paycut, since a $7 million dollar contract is the least they'd both be offered on the open market.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Quote:
right. that's what I thought. CV just seems awfully sure about this 4-6 week minimum.
Guys, concussion estimates (as far as recovery time) are ALWAYS speculative, because every player responds to every injury differently. Even if the doctor came out right now and told us exactly everything wrong, and that Malkin is feeling terrible... we're still left with speculation. I said (losing track of which thread I said it in now), that IMO:

Very best case: about 10-14 days, because even if he starts feeling GREAT in a day or two (how likely do we think that is?), they have to run him through the PROTOCOL of practice-test-rest-practice-retest until they are 100% sure he's 100% able to skate full tilt with zero symptoms the next day and take hits, etc. Those test and wait periods alone (which wouldn't start until after the road trip most likely) would take several days to complete.

Likely case: 4-6 weeks, hopefully because it only takes 2-3 for him to feel better, then start skating, then start practicing and testing for recurrence of symptoms after down time etc.

Worst case: gone for the season because he fails his tests after attempting practices, or gets headaches again after testing, etc.

IOW, at every possible outcome, the Pens will drag this out as long as necessary to be 112% sure he's completely over his symptoms. We've been down this road before.

IN ANY CASE, feel free to copy this above and quote me in the other Malkin thread... this is about possible acquisitions (even if he does come back in a few weeks).

Old
02-23-2013, 03:33 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
I'm still hoping for, ROR. He's probably our best alternative, and moving forward with Malkin back.

RRP, I doubt the hit on Hossa was anywhere near the magnitude Geno's was against the boards. 3 days, just no.

I'm going with a solid month, and that's just to get him healthy, then there's getting back into game shape, another two weeks. At that point you're looking at 2 weeks give or take in the season.

Best case scenario.
do you want to pay him close to $5M per year? i would only consider making a trade for him if A: he can show that he could play wing with Malkin back, and B: he doesn't take more than two defensive prospects along with a roster player and pick to acquire.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:38 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
do you want to pay him close to $5M per year? i would only consider making a trade for him if A: he can show that he could play wing with Malkin back, and B: he doesn't take more than two defensive prospects along with a roster player and pick to acquire.
He would not require two D prospects and a roster player. Not unless one of the D prospects was just an OK player. He's not going ot get Despres and Morrow for example or Despres and Pouliot. He'd probably require 1 of those top prospects, and 1 solid roster player. Colorado wants him out and with his Dad's nutjob response I doubt there will be a bidding war. Other teams are interested but I don't think anyone is offering bigtime assets for ROR.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post

Best case scenario.
The question still comes down to "is ROR a good fit when Geno comes back?" If Shero thinks so, then by all means this makes him even more attractive for us. But don't trade for him simply to fill in now if we don't have a good reason to believe he can work as a wing later. This team needs a wing. If that wing is able to move to center when needed, awesome. But we do NOT need someone that only plays center. This injury doesn't change that.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Only if he can play LW, which is still unclear to me.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Pigs On The Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Our roster cannot take another major hit up front. We are 1 injury away from being in big trouble regarding our forwards.
We won games when Crosby & Malkin were both injured. We will be fine.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
I'd be shocked if Sutter is on the top powerplay. It'll be Sid, Neal, Kunitz, Letang and Martin.
I really hope they keep Martin on the point, let Letang pretend to be a forward. Martin is so much better there.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Expect the worst, hope for the best?

Old
02-23-2013, 04:35 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
It was Rossi's source !!!

Nobody would be fine a day after that whiplash. I would wait for official statement before I start panic .. just sayin'

Old
02-23-2013, 04:52 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I don't want Shero to make moves because Malkin is out, I just want him to make moves because he was planning on it the entire time. Stick with that plan. If that was ROR, OK. I'd rather get ROR than someone like Weiss or Ribeiro.

Closed Thread