HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spring Training Madness the 1st: Canada/USA (WBC) Sunday @ 4pm ET/1pm PT

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2013, 03:14 PM
  #26
p.l.f.
mvp
 
p.l.f.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 35,171
vCash: 500
stockpiling buffalo with serviceable veterans who can help in a pinch seems to be the theme here.

velez zawadski etc......

p.l.f. is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:18 PM
  #27
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,829
vCash: 500
next up for us on TV is tomorrow's replay of Game 1 of the 93 World Series.

1pm ET/10am PT on all 4 sportsnet regional channels.

yay!

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 12 GP, 4-6-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:20 PM
  #28
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,439
vCash: 500
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

Phillies have traded RH reliever Michael Schwimer to Blue Jays for 1B Art Charles, team just announced

For Art Charles? Solid move. Charles is basically a non-prospect and Schwimer has a couple of options left and provides more depth. He struggles with command but he can miss bats. Extreme flyball pitcher though. Velocity sits in the low 90's, can touch as high as 95-96 at best. FB/SL combo.

Jays will have 40 man roster spots open up as guys like Perez/Drabek/Hutchison/McGowan (perhaps Cooper as well?) hit the 60 man DL so they can fit these guys in. I'd like to see another move like that for an infielder (3rd/1B) and a starter. Could try claiming guys off waivers now as well.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:25 PM
  #29
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,439
vCash: 500
Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi

#BlueJays transfer Luis Perez to 60-day DL to make room for Schwimer.

Yup, as expected.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:29 PM
  #30
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,747
vCash: 500
Love watching baseball again. That was a fun one to watch and I hope McCoy is alright. Lot's of misses calling for balls today. They'll need to correct that fast

dredeye is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:31 PM
  #31
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst

Phillies have traded RH reliever Michael Schwimer to Blue Jays for 1B Art Charles, team just announced

For Art Charles? Solid move. Charles is basically a non-prospect and Schwimer has a couple of options left and provides more depth. He struggles with command but he can miss bats. Extreme flyball pitcher though. Velocity sits in the low 90's, can touch as high as 95-96 at best. FB/SL combo.

Jays will have 40 man roster spots open up as guys like Perez/Drabek/Hutchison/McGowan (perhaps Cooper as well?) hit the 60 man DL so they can fit these guys in. I'd like to see another move like that for an infielder (3rd/1B) and a starter. Could try claiming guys off waivers now as well.
doesn't Charles have some good power though? Interesting to see the trades continuing already. We should save some spots for waiver pick ups. We may be able to find some good options with rosters filling up in the next few weeks.

dredeye is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:32 PM
  #32
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
knee on knee! They should suspend Langerhans just like Taylor Hall
McCoy also took a pretty solid forearm to the face.

dredeye is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:39 PM
  #33
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
McCoy also took a pretty solid forearm to the face.
So just 1 game then?

The Nemesis is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:44 PM
  #34
Quik
Agent 0091
 
Quik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,889
vCash: 500
Kinda surprising to get a guy with options who can challenge for a major league spot for a guy I've admittedly never heard of before...lol

Quik is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:45 PM
  #35
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
doesn't Charles have some good power though? Interesting to see the trades continuing already. We should save some spots for waiver pick ups. We may be able to find some good options with rosters filling up in the next few weeks.
Yeah some power but not much other than that. He can take some walks too but huge holes in his swing. Tons of swing and misses and is now 22 years old who has yet to play in Lansing. You have to be an elite hitter in the minors as a 1st baseman to make it to the majors and Charles isn't that.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:57 PM
  #36
a1cd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Is the game tmw being broadcast anywhere?

a1cd is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:01 PM
  #37
Thorntonfan97
José Bautista-31 HR
 
Thorntonfan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Jeff Mathis broke his collarbone and will miss 6 weeks

Thorntonfan97 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:09 PM
  #38
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590
New #Bluejays arm! @jaysonst: Phillies have traded RH reliever Michael Schwimer to Blue Jays for 1B Art Charles, team just announced
Great trade. Even if he's only ever depth for us, Charles had big holes in his swing despite huge power. They would have made it hard for him to hit above A+

jcollins is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:11 PM
  #39
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590
Likely challenges for big-league spot. @Sinukoff: @Wilnerness590 Schwimer has impressive K/9 numbers. Where does he fit in the minors?
Anyone know if he has options? Maybe he could make it if Jeffress stinks? If not he'll be in AAA.

I don't see who he'd bump from the projected pen.

jcollins is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:16 PM
  #40
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
doesn't Charles have some good power though? Interesting to see the trades continuing already. We should save some spots for waiver pick ups. We may be able to find some good options with rosters filling up in the next few weeks.
Power at the low levels yes, but it's expected his swing will not play at the higher levels

I wonder if they'll simply claim as many as they have spots for, or if they'll try to sneak a few to Buffalo like before

jcollins is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:16 PM
  #41
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Anyone know if he has options? Maybe he could make it if Jeffress stinks? If not he'll be in AAA.

I don't see who he'd bump from the projected pen.
I believe he has two left. Refused to report to Triple A last year (he was saying he had an injury when he got sent down?) so I don't think that option was technically used up.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
  #42
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
jcollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I believe he has two left. Refused to report to Triple A last year (he was saying he had an injury when he got sent down?) so I don't think that option was technically used up.
I thought only vets (those with x number of years experience) could refuse an assignment?

EDIT: Just saw an article that he thought he should have been put on the DL instead. Is there a difference? If he hadn't gotten sent down would he have been paid as a major leaguer while on the DL?

jcollins is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:18 PM
  #43
BertCorbeau
Moderator
Oh Mr Peeenguin...
 
BertCorbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Anyone know if he has options? Maybe he could make it if Jeffress stinks? If not he'll be in AAA.

I don't see who he'd bump from the projected pen.
Good depth move at the very least, can never have enough quality arms in the 'pen .. I like the K/9, could be a good late inning guy .. Is he a power arm?

BertCorbeau is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:23 PM
  #44
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Yeah some power but not much other than that. He can take some walks too but huge holes in his swing. Tons of swing and misses and is now 22 years old who has yet to play in Lansing. You have to be an elite hitter in the minors as a 1st baseman to make it to the majors and Charles isn't that.
I just remembered there being some potential pop with him but also didn't realize he was 22.

dredeye is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:26 PM
  #45
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
I thought only vets (those with x number of years experience) could refuse an assignment?

EDIT: Just saw an article that he thought he should have been put on the DL instead. Is there a difference? If he hadn't gotten sent down would he have been paid as a major leaguer while on the DL?
I would imagine that's why he opposed it otherwise it wouldn't really make much sense.

dredeye is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:28 PM
  #46
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
So just 1 game then?
I would say the forearm was a secondary attempt to injure. I think 3 at least.

dredeye is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:29 PM
  #47
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers
 
Nasty Nazem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my house... duh!
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
I thought only vets (those with x number of years experience) could refuse an assignment?

EDIT: Just saw an article that he thought he should have been put on the DL instead. Is there a difference? If he hadn't gotten sent down would he have been paid as a major leaguer while on the DL?
I think so and I believe your service time continues to accumulate (someone else can confirm this for me). Who knows, he could really have been injured.

Nasty Nazem is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:29 PM
  #48
Thorntonfan97
José Bautista-31 HR
 
Thorntonfan97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,520
vCash: 200
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Campbell, Zaun and Morris are going to breakdown/analyze the game on SN in a few minutes if anyone cares

Thorntonfan97 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:37 PM
  #49
montreal
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590
New #Bluejays arm! @jaysonst: Phillies have traded RH reliever Michael Schwimer to Blue Jays for 1B Art Charles, team just announced
phils fan, have seen a lot of Schwimer, jays are getting a decent young pitcher. If he ends up in AAA he should end up an All Star as i've seen him dominate at times for the phils AAA club. In the off-season it was speculated that he would be moved as the phils have a number of arms for the pen and are running out of places to put them, plus they had some issues with him last year regarding twitter and the injury dispute.

Not sure what impact he will have in the majors but at worst your getting a very good AAA arm imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Anyone know if he has options? Maybe he could make it if Jeffress stinks? If not he'll be in AAA.

I don't see who he'd bump from the projected pen.
yes he has options left.

montreal is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:19 PM
  #50
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher
 
Leafsdude7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,918
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
That was Langerhans' ball all the way.
I think the real impressive thing about the whole crash was the fact that he caught and held onto that ball.

Leafsdude7 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.