Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 03:17 PM
J Bert

vCash: 500
The kid has really improved. He played all of nine minutes last game on the 4th line..not easy to play well on a line like that with his skill set. Before last game he played quite well I thought with 3 games in a row with points. Creating a number of good chances for teammates. Personally, I think he should be taking butches minutes. And yes, I agree with the sentiment that if Yeo is going to play him on the 4th or sit him, he needs to play 20 mins a game, and that would be with Houston. However, I don't agree with what Yeo is currently doing with him.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

vCash: 50
Just send him to Houston for the rest of the season, and try again next year. If it doesn't work next year, then trade him for whatever we can get.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:22 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Yep, with Cullen playing the way he is I see no reason to keep Granlund in the line-up. Send him to Houston for the rest of the year. He'll be our own version of Kadri. People laughed at the Leafs for a couple of years about Kadri, but I don't think they're laughing anymore.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:39 PM
Kellyr

Totally agree that he should be sent to Houston to let him play there top line minutes. Obviously he is not ready to play in the nhl at a high level anyway like other rookies Tarasenko/Hubedeau etc. The kid needs to bulk up seriously next summer to make it in this league.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

NHL training > AHL training.

Keep Granlund with the Wild, have him continue learning our system and developing chemistry with players.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
NHL training > AHL training.

Keep Granlund with the Wild, have him continue learning our system and developing chemistry with players.
How is he suppose to develop chemistry with our players when he's either playing on the 4th line or not playing at all? There's not a ton of time for practices in this shortened season either.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:55 PM
sakux

Please just trade Granlund now to a club that might actually give him an honest chance to make it. He is one of 3 players in the wild that can actually think while playing. And if he won't get a chance to play with those players the Wilds will never benefit from having him on the ice.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:09 PM
Joona

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakux View Post
Please just trade Granlund now to a club that might actually give him an honest chance to make it. He is one of 3 players in the wild that can actually think while playing. And if he won't get a chance to play with those players the Wilds will never benefit from having him on the ice.
+1. I agree, MiG wouldn't have never been the player what he was in WC2011/SM2011 because Jalonen saw his talent and actually helped him with 1st line PP minutes since being 17yo and giving him fair minutes even when he didnt instatly shine. I have no clue what Yeo is trying to do with him, i would let him play few games as winger with koivu and parise.

Btw 1st post

Old
02-23-2013, 04:11 PM
mattihp

The treatment he gets is too inconsistant. Tell him what he needs to do and you wouldn't see a single player in the NHL not named Crosby working harder to overcome the obstacles he has.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Ladde

Enough with the:"Trade him!" bs. He needs to be sent down if he doesnt get to play at least 13min per game.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:22 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
Enough with the:"Trade him!" bs. He needs to be sent down if he doesnt get to play at least 13min per game.
I think he needs to stay with the better coaches in training. Most europeans who comment on the training level when they come back over from the AHL have noted that it was far off from the NHL.

Right now I think Mikke needs to stay up. He hasn't got much to learn in the AHL.

Old
02-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
How is he suppose to develop chemistry with our players when he's either playing on the 4th line or not playing at all? There's not a ton of time for practices in this shortened season either.
Yes, he's on the 4th line for 10 minutes a night. However...

Practices, training, traveling, team meetings, team meals, basically everything else is done with the team; that's how chemistry is built. Granlund's not sitting on the bench with blinders on, either. He's watching his team mates playing styles and tendencies. With his high hockey IQ (I hate that buzzword), his play will pick up eventually.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm sure those team meals are really going to help him dominate next year.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:22 PM
hokijanari

Why the hell is everyone saying that MG should be in the minors for the rest of the year. I see no point there. Maybe a week or so would be good and then give him another go in the NHL. A fresh start. And a real opportunity. Because he haven't had one yet. Seto and Cullen were absolutely horrible when MG was given the first "opportunity", although now they're picking it up. Rest of the time MG has spent in the 4th line or pressbox... Yeah, a real opportunity there.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:37 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
To me the press box is just another place he shouldn't be in. At least this is less frustrating than watching him on the ice with Rupp for less than 10 minutes in the game. I don't think he's missing much by sitting Vs. playing those small minutes.
I agree, it should not be a place he should be, but I am fine for this game against Calgary. It is just one game where he is clearly being pushed out. However, if he is scratched the next game, I'll probably be on the "send him to the AHL" wagon.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:51 PM
sakux

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokijanari View Post
Why the hell is everyone saying that MG should be in the minors for the rest of the year. I see no point there. Maybe a week or so would be good and then give him another go in the NHL. A fresh start. And a real opportunity. Because he haven't had one yet. Seto and Cullen were absolutely horrible when MG was given the first "opportunity", although now they're picking it up. Rest of the time MG has spent in the 4th line or pressbox... Yeah, a real opportunity there.
Seto and Cullen aren't good players. Only reason they've been "picking up their game" as you say, is because they've been given the ice-time needed to inevitable score some points. They are not really 2nd line material. Only reason they are right now is the lack of skilled players on the Wild roster.

Old
02-23-2013, 05:56 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Seto and Cullen aren't good players. Only reason they've been "picking up their game" as you say, is because they've been given the ice-time needed to inevitable score some points.They are not really 2nd line material. Only reason they are right now is the lack of skilled players on the Wild roster.
Oooooooookay. If Seto isn't a 2nd liner to you you have a very high standard for 2nd liners.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Seto and Cullen aren't good players. Only reason they've been "picking up their game" as you say, is because they've been given the ice-time needed to inevitable score some points. They are not really 2nd line material. Only reason they are right now is the lack of skilled players on the Wild roster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Oooooooookay. If Seto isn't a 2nd liner to you you have a very high standard for 2nd liners.
I'm in the middle.

I am 100% against any notion that Setoguchi and Cullen are bad players. Your standards are very high for "good" players.

But Setoguchi for me is a 2nd/3rd liner. He really hasn't shown much of the goal-scoring ability we all wished he had, but he is displaying some good energy, strong physical play, and good board play. He has good speed and a good player to have on an energetic line like what we have in the Zucker-Cullen-Setoguchi line.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm sure those team meals are really going to help him dominate next year.
Gotta pack on the pounds.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:25 PM
Kellyr

Haha funny how people wearing MG glasses just bash other players for Granlund not succeeding. He hasn´t earned his spot on the second line so far and certainly not the first. You do actually have to earn your spot in this league and not expect everything be laid infront of you, no matter what baby jeesus status you are riding in Europe.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

I'm not going to hold last season against him, it was a F'd up year for the Wild and Seto.

He is only 26 and the ability is there and is starting to show itself. Even when he was demoted to the 4th line i thought he was playing well with perhaps to much emphasis on the physical play but it really does appear that his game is coming together in one complete package now.

I wasn't much on his side coming into the season but i am now. Imo he is starting to show all the abilities he was suspected of having.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

so what is the avg point per TOI for a winger that spends most of his time as a 2nd liner in this league? out of curiosity...I'm not a numbers guy.

also, Seto hits a lot. more hit's per minute than our third and fourth line guys (aside from Clutter, of course). i'd be surprised if he's any worse than average numbers wise among 2nd line players.

Last edited by rynryn: 02-23-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 06:45 PM
MK9

At this point my eyes hurt from rolling them. Typing of any form of 'trade and Granlund' in the same sentence should get you some magical midget popping out of nowhere and punching you square in the scroat.

Old
02-23-2013, 06:50 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

Nothing against Granlund at all. I think he's close to being a quality #2C. But I think some of the struggles the team have had are on him. He's still learning the NHL, and that's to be expected. But we certainly look better with Matt Cullen centering the second line. Granlund is still a work in progress, and I'd like to see him getting as much ice time as possible in Houston, preferably playing on a line with Larsson and either Zucker or Coyle unless they're with the big club.

Old
02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just can't see how, if he's not a top six center on this team, why he's up here at all.

Closed Thread