HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Mikael Granlund V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2013, 03:17 PM
  #326
J Bert
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
The kid has really improved. He played all of nine minutes last game on the 4th line..not easy to play well on a line like that with his skill set. Before last game he played quite well I thought with 3 games in a row with points. Creating a number of good chances for teammates. Personally, I think he should be taking butches minutes. And yes, I agree with the sentiment that if Yeo is going to play him on the 4th or sit him, he needs to play 20 mins a game, and that would be with Houston. However, I don't agree with what Yeo is currently doing with him.

J Bert is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:17 PM
  #327
Dampland
YEO must GO
 
Dampland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Job Search City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 50
Just send him to Houston for the rest of the season, and try again next year. If it doesn't work next year, then trade him for whatever we can get.

Dampland is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:22 PM
  #328
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,234
vCash: 50
Yep, with Cullen playing the way he is I see no reason to keep Granlund in the line-up. Send him to Houston for the rest of the year. He'll be our own version of Kadri. People laughed at the Leafs for a couple of years about Kadri, but I don't think they're laughing anymore.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:39 PM
  #329
Kellyr
Registered User
 
Kellyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Totally agree that he should be sent to Houston to let him play there top line minutes. Obviously he is not ready to play in the nhl at a high level anyway like other rookies Tarasenko/Hubedeau etc. The kid needs to bulk up seriously next summer to make it in this league.

Kellyr is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:43 PM
  #330
Minnesota
Moderator
L'étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,471
vCash: 50
NHL training > AHL training.

Keep Granlund with the Wild, have him continue learning our system and developing chemistry with players.

Minnesota is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:46 PM
  #331
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,234
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
NHL training > AHL training.

Keep Granlund with the Wild, have him continue learning our system and developing chemistry with players.
How is he suppose to develop chemistry with our players when he's either playing on the 4th line or not playing at all? There's not a ton of time for practices in this shortened season either.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 03:55 PM
  #332
sakux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Please just trade Granlund now to a club that might actually give him an honest chance to make it. He is one of 3 players in the wild that can actually think while playing. And if he won't get a chance to play with those players the Wilds will never benefit from having him on the ice.

sakux is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 04:09 PM
  #333
Joona
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakux View Post
Please just trade Granlund now to a club that might actually give him an honest chance to make it. He is one of 3 players in the wild that can actually think while playing. And if he won't get a chance to play with those players the Wilds will never benefit from having him on the ice.
+1. I agree, MiG wouldn't have never been the player what he was in WC2011/SM2011 because Jalonen saw his talent and actually helped him with 1st line PP minutes since being 17yo and giving him fair minutes even when he didnt instatly shine. I have no clue what Yeo is trying to do with him, i would let him play few games as winger with koivu and parise.

Btw 1st post

Joona is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 04:11 PM
  #334
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,713
vCash: 50
The treatment he gets is too inconsistant. Tell him what he needs to do and you wouldn't see a single player in the NHL not named Crosby working harder to overcome the obstacles he has.

mattihp is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 04:19 PM
  #335
Ladde
Registered User
 
Ladde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 773
vCash: 500
Enough with the:"Trade him!" bs. He needs to be sent down if he doesnt get to play at least 13min per game.

Ladde is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 04:22 PM
  #336
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,713
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
Enough with the:"Trade him!" bs. He needs to be sent down if he doesnt get to play at least 13min per game.
I think he needs to stay with the better coaches in training. Most europeans who comment on the training level when they come back over from the AHL have noted that it was far off from the NHL.

Right now I think Mikke needs to stay up. He hasn't got much to learn in the AHL.

mattihp is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 04:44 PM
  #337
Minnesota
Moderator
L'étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
How is he suppose to develop chemistry with our players when he's either playing on the 4th line or not playing at all? There's not a ton of time for practices in this shortened season either.
Yes, he's on the 4th line for 10 minutes a night. However...

Practices, training, traveling, team meetings, team meals, basically everything else is done with the team; that's how chemistry is built. Granlund's not sitting on the bench with blinders on, either. He's watching his team mates playing styles and tendencies. With his high hockey IQ (I hate that buzzword), his play will pick up eventually.

Minnesota is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:03 PM
  #338
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,509
vCash: 500
I'm sure those team meals are really going to help him dominate next year.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:22 PM
  #339
hokijanari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Why the hell is everyone saying that MG should be in the minors for the rest of the year. I see no point there. Maybe a week or so would be good and then give him another go in the NHL. A fresh start. And a real opportunity. Because he haven't had one yet. Seto and Cullen were absolutely horrible when MG was given the first "opportunity", although now they're picking it up. Rest of the time MG has spent in the 4th line or pressbox... Yeah, a real opportunity there.

hokijanari is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:37 PM
  #340
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
To me the press box is just another place he shouldn't be in. At least this is less frustrating than watching him on the ice with Rupp for less than 10 minutes in the game. I don't think he's missing much by sitting Vs. playing those small minutes.
I agree, it should not be a place he should be, but I am fine for this game against Calgary. It is just one game where he is clearly being pushed out. However, if he is scratched the next game, I'll probably be on the "send him to the AHL" wagon.

Circulartheory is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:51 PM
  #341
sakux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokijanari View Post
Why the hell is everyone saying that MG should be in the minors for the rest of the year. I see no point there. Maybe a week or so would be good and then give him another go in the NHL. A fresh start. And a real opportunity. Because he haven't had one yet. Seto and Cullen were absolutely horrible when MG was given the first "opportunity", although now they're picking it up. Rest of the time MG has spent in the 4th line or pressbox... Yeah, a real opportunity there.
Seto and Cullen aren't good players. Only reason they've been "picking up their game" as you say, is because they've been given the ice-time needed to inevitable score some points. They are not really 2nd line material. Only reason they are right now is the lack of skilled players on the Wild roster.

sakux is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 05:56 PM
  #342
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD
 
tomgilbertfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 8,098
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakux View Post
Seto and Cullen aren't good players. Only reason they've been "picking up their game" as you say, is because they've been given the ice-time needed to inevitable score some points.They are not really 2nd line material. Only reason they are right now is the lack of skilled players on the Wild roster.
Oooooooookay. If Seto isn't a 2nd liner to you you have a very high standard for 2nd liners.

tomgilbertfan is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:21 PM
  #343
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakux View Post
Seto and Cullen aren't good players. Only reason they've been "picking up their game" as you say, is because they've been given the ice-time needed to inevitable score some points. They are not really 2nd line material. Only reason they are right now is the lack of skilled players on the Wild roster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Oooooooookay. If Seto isn't a 2nd liner to you you have a very high standard for 2nd liners.
I'm in the middle.

I am 100% against any notion that Setoguchi and Cullen are bad players. Your standards are very high for "good" players.

But Setoguchi for me is a 2nd/3rd liner. He really hasn't shown much of the goal-scoring ability we all wished he had, but he is displaying some good energy, strong physical play, and good board play. He has good speed and a good player to have on an energetic line like what we have in the Zucker-Cullen-Setoguchi line.

Circulartheory is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:25 PM
  #344
Minnesota
Moderator
L'étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 14,471
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm sure those team meals are really going to help him dominate next year.
Gotta pack on the pounds.

Minnesota is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:25 PM
  #345
Kellyr
Registered User
 
Kellyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,845
vCash: 500
Haha funny how people wearing MG glasses just bash other players for Granlund not succeeding. He hasn´t earned his spot on the second line so far and certainly not the first. You do actually have to earn your spot in this league and not expect everything be laid infront of you, no matter what baby jeesus status you are riding in Europe.

Kellyr is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:29 PM
  #346
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,493
vCash: 500
I'm not going to hold last season against him, it was a F'd up year for the Wild and Seto.

He is only 26 and the ability is there and is starting to show itself. Even when he was demoted to the 4th line i thought he was playing well with perhaps to much emphasis on the physical play but it really does appear that his game is coming together in one complete package now.

I wasn't much on his side coming into the season but i am now. Imo he is starting to show all the abilities he was suspected of having.

Blizzard6411 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:30 PM
  #347
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,229
vCash: 50
so what is the avg point per TOI for a winger that spends most of his time as a 2nd liner in this league? out of curiosity...I'm not a numbers guy.

also, Seto hits a lot. more hit's per minute than our third and fourth line guys (aside from Clutter, of course). i'd be surprised if he's any worse than average numbers wise among 2nd line players.


Last edited by rynryn: 02-23-2013 at 06:45 PM.
rynryn is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:45 PM
  #348
MK9
Registered User
 
MK9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Andover, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,329
vCash: 500
At this point my eyes hurt from rolling them. Typing of any form of 'trade and Granlund' in the same sentence should get you some magical midget popping out of nowhere and punching you square in the scroat.

MK9 is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 06:50 PM
  #349
PariseSuterKoivu
Registered User
 
PariseSuterKoivu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 273
vCash: 50
Nothing against Granlund at all. I think he's close to being a quality #2C. But I think some of the struggles the team have had are on him. He's still learning the NHL, and that's to be expected. But we certainly look better with Matt Cullen centering the second line. Granlund is still a work in progress, and I'd like to see him getting as much ice time as possible in Houston, preferably playing on a line with Larsson and either Zucker or Coyle unless they're with the big club.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline  
Old
02-23-2013, 07:10 PM
  #350
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,509
vCash: 500
Just can't see how, if he's not a top six center on this team, why he's up here at all.

Jarick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.