HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

ESPN's John Skipper: "We are doing hockey highlights."

Old
02-23-2013, 08:11 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
SNL Kagan showed a $5.06/mo avg in early 2012.

TWC will be paying $5.40/mo this year - increasing to $7+/mo 4 years.

http://www.mediapost.com/publication...e-in-2017.html
And people wonder why Comcast is pumping up NBCSN. ESPN will soon reach the event horizon and the distributors are going to tell them to go to hell. It'll be cheaper just to outbid them for the NFL broadcasts than to pay their subscriber fees.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Yes, but there is only one NBA team in Canada to 7 NHL teams. And the overall NBA viewership in Canada is probably less than a tenth of overall NHL viewership. On the other hand, MLS has three franchises in Canada - how come they don't get more coverage?
TSN actually shows quite a bit of Toronto FC's games.

However TSN Sportscentre rarely shows EPL highlights and Champions League highlights. Likely because Sportsnet shows all Champions League matches and a ton of EPL matches.

02-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Patofqc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobias Industries View Post
Counterpoint from a Canadian NBA fan:

TSN is probably guilty of the opposite, only to a higher degree.
Not many people care about the NBA here. There showing what people want to see.

Patofqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Wingsfan2965*

ESPN's biggest issue is that they still pretend that they're the only game in town when it comes to sports broadcasting.

They're going to be in for a rude awakening when some of their broadcasting deals end with major leagues and NBCSN and CBS SN start bidding them up for rights.

Sure, they might be able to retain those rights, but at how much more of a cost than what it used to cost them?

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:39 PM
EastCoastNiner

It's kind of embarrassing that hockey fans, mainly here, are the biggest whiners out of every major U.S. sport. Stop trying to always play the victim card or the "world is against us" card. It gets old after a while.

ESPN has the rights to the NFL, NBA, and MLB. No **** they are going program those sports more and talk about them more. That's business. More people like those sports and watch those sports. More money is made with those sports as well.

It's amusing how people here always like to cry and bash ESPN. The act gets pretty old quickly, and it's obvious the IQ of many here is minimal.

Brb, lets have ESPN show lots of hockey highlights and talk about the NHL when it's the lowest sport in demand out of the four major sports.

Brb, lets make a new ESPN thread every day.

EastCoastNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Man Bear Pig

ESPN's interest is clearly in the NFL and NBA, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Personally, I can't stand the NBA for a variety of reasons and the NFL is behind the NHL and MLB. I can completely understand why Americans can't stand the coverage. I will say though, Canadian networks shove hockey down your throat, it's almost too much as a hockey fan. And I play pro-line and have a genuine interest in watching games irrelevant to my team and I still feel suffocated by the coverage the NHL gets. I think I would move to a cabin in the woods if I had to hear the soap opera that is the NBA all day.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:52 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
And people wonder why Comcast is pumping up NBCSN. ESPN will soon reach the event horizon and the distributors are going to tell them to go to hell. It'll be cheaper just to outbid them for the NFL broadcasts than to pay their subscriber fees.
The problem is "horizontal integration". Disney owns Disney Channel, ESPN, and ABC. Let's say you're Time-Warner or Comcast or even a small regional cable system. Disney only offers a package deal. You have two choices...
  1. You take ABC and ESPN on your standard tier (including a subscription fee for every subscriber on basic cable, and Disney channel on a premium tier.
  2. Or you get zip (no ABC), zilch (no ESPN), nada (no Disney Channel).
Disney has the cablecos are over a barrel.

knorthern knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastNiner View Post
It's kind of embarrassing that hockey fans, mainly here, are the biggest whiners out of every major U.S. sport. Stop trying to always play the victim card or the "world is against us" card. It gets old after a while.

ESPN has the rights to the NFL, NBA, and MLB. No **** they are going program those sports more and talk about them more. That's business. More people like those sports and watch those sports. More money is made with those sports as well.

It's amusing how people here always like to cry and bash ESPN. The act gets pretty old quickly, and it's obvious the IQ of many here is minimal.

Brb, lets have ESPN show lots of hockey highlights and talk about the NHL when it's the lowest sport in demand out of the four major sports.

Brb, lets make a new ESPN thread every day.
If this were true, I'd agree, but it's not. The NHL and NBA are miles behind MLB and the NFL, but it's much closer than many Americans realize, all things considered.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
If they want to make themselves irrelevant to me as a consumer, that's fine. I'll continue to take my money elsewhere.
Yeppers. I literally have not watched ESPN, at all, in about 6 years.

I long ago stopped enjoying their "coverage" of the NBA and NFL, as well. Most of it is all hype and no substance. Talking heads leading the news instead of reporting it.

I used to tune into ESPN to get the latest news and scores, regardless of sport. Now, it's pretty much all marketing and fluff. My time could be just as well spent watching infomercials.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
If this were true, I'd agree, but it's not. The NHL and NBA are miles behind MLB and the NFL, but it's much closer than many Americans realize, all things considered.
Uhh, the MLB is quickly falling out of the picture. The only thing they manage to do right is local broadcasting contracts, and they only get those because for roughly four months, they're the only major sport on television. Kinda hard for your local sports broacasters to survive through June/July/August/September with no hockey, football, basketball, baseball.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:23 PM
EastCoastNiner

Quote:
What you quoted and then said makes no sense at all.

It's a fact that the NHL is behind those sports in terms of viewership, revenue, etc.

EastCoastNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:

It's a fact that the NHL is behind those sports in terms of viewership, revenue, etc.
Except the NHL is ahead of the NBA in attendance, and is closing in on revenue.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:36 PM
WhereIsIt
#gift

vCash: 50
Quote:

TSNs coverage reflects the market. Basketball in irrelevant in Canada, especially outside of Toronto. TSN shows too much basketball for my tastes.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Man Bear Pig

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Except the NHL is ahead of the NBA in attendance, and is closing in on revenue.
This.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:43 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
The problem is "horizontal integration". Disney owns Disney Channel, ESPN, and ABC. Let's say you're Time-Warner or Comcast or even a small regional cable system. Disney only offers a package deal. You have two choices...
  1. You take ABC and ESPN on your standard tier (including a subscription fee for every subscriber on basic cable, and Disney channel on a premium tier.
  2. Or you get zip (no ABC), zilch (no ESPN), nada (no Disney Channel).
Disney has the cablecos are over a barrel.
Comcast owns more channels than Disney or any other company. Comcast also has more tv subscribers than any other company and is also one of the largest internet providers in the country. Pretty much every industry Disney is in Comcast is in as well. Off of the top of my head the only things I can think of that Disney is better at is sports coverage with ESPN, Animation with Pixar, and Theme parks. However Comcast is making up ground in all of those areas with NBCSN, there own theme parks,personally I prefer the universal theme parks because they are more of a theme amusement park and Disney is more of a theme park (if that makes any sense), and with movies like Despicable me Comcast is catching up in animation.

Disney does not want to pick a fight with Comcast because they very well could lose. However Comcast is still subject to a bunch of Department of Justice regulations for another 5 years. Once that is up I would not be surprised to see Comcast explode and really start a war with other entertainment companies.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
This.
Wait for the estimated NBA revenues last season to be brought up.

AKA the revenues they estimate that probably showed the part of the season they lost would be just as profitable as the part they had, including playoffs.

Old
02-23-2013, 02:02 PM
Ninja Hertl
formerly sharkohol

Quote:

Think about the ratio of Canadian hockey teams to other sports, then think about the American ratio of NHL teams to NBA teams. Now think about what you just said. I think TSN's massive hockey coverage seems about right given the disparity in your country...

Ninja Hertl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Victory5

Not only does ESPN not cover hockey, but they pretty much dont cover 3/4ths of the NBA and NFL, which are their main staples

Every time they talk about the NBA its:

Lakers
Heat
LeBron
Thunder
Knicks/Nets
Boston

and thats pretty much 90% of their NBA coverage, the thing is though, since they only cover a small part they have to talk about so much ridiculous stuff that it becomes unwatchable (ie lets debate LeBron vs MJ for the 100th time today)

For the NFL its:
NY teams
Peyton Manning
Ravens/Steelers
Patriots
Tim Tebow

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Victory5

Just to add to my above point, the worst part about it is the people reporting, for the most part, have no idea what the hell their talking about. I cant stand to see some random guy (or girl) try to talk about sports like their some God when they probably never played anything in their life.

Makes me mad, idk, the people on ESPN tick me off

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Tony Clifton

Quote:
They're going to be in for a rude awakening when some of their broadcasting deals end with major leagues and NBCSN and CBS SN start bidding them up for rights.
Also the new FoxSports 1 and FoxSports 2 channels (combination and consolidation of Fox Soccer, Speed, Fuel TV and others like FX) will probably get some MLB, college football (Big 12 and Pac 10), NASCAR and a new studio show.

beIN Sports is soon to be a major player in North American sports too, they have the desire and money (Qatar) too acquire major sports properties.
Quote:
beIN Sport Is a global network of sports channels owned and operated jointly by Qatar-based broadcaster Al Jazeera and New York City-based cable telecommunications company Time Warner Cable.....launched two channels in the United States (English and Spanish) in August 2012.

....In the United States and Canada, beIN Sport holds the rights to broadcast La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Copa del Rey, South American World Cup Qualifier and English Championship matches, in addition to Barca TV.

Tony Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:37 PM
DyerMaker66

I hate that TSN rarely ever show NLL/MLL highlights when they were airing the friggin' games in prime time less than a year ago.

DyerMaker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
ESPN shills their product and nothing else. They lost USMNT soccer, so what do they do? Get Mexico's english coverage and then start shilling Mexico.
They still have the rights to USMNT home matches. It's away matches they don't have the rights to. Same thing with Mexico, they have the rights to the home matches, not the away matches.

Right now, ESPN is too focused on:

Kobe/Howard catfight
Smith/Bayless having a {MOD EDIT} **** waving contest
Tebow running shirtless at practice (seriously, they had a full article about it)
Manti T'eo and his nonexistant girlfriend.

They're even giving BASEBALL less coverage, and that's our pastime! And anytime they cover the NBA they act like only 6 teams exist. Even our NBA team (the Bucks, go ahead and laugh), barely gets any mention win or lose. Even when they beat one of those six teams ESPN hypes nonstop.

Even when the Lokomotiv crash happened in 2011, ESPN gave the front page to the Packers. And as much as I love my Packers, the fact that the crash was NOT the #1 story for about 5 hours was disgusting

All I can say is poor Steve Levy. He seems like one of the hosts who tries his hardest to give hockey a mention, with little success.

How can ESPN improve? Going back to their roots, and giving actual sports news. And maybe even getting the rights to sports Americans aren't familiar with (such as Rugby).

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I hate that TSN rarely ever show NLL/MLL highlights when they were airing the friggin' games in prime time less than a year ago.
Their loss, if you just treat your sports news show like a marketing tool to thepoint of being irrelevant then at a certain point fans will just go elsewhere for the serious news they actually want especially now when people can get it on their phones anywhere.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:33 PM
UnrefinedCrude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
Sportscenter used to be the ultimate highlight/recap show...
That was actually ABC's Wide World of Sports. No show has ever captured the multi sport glory that was that show.

Everything since has been an inferior shadow of that show.

UnrefinedCrude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Reality Check

Sports coverage is a lot different than it was twenty years ago due to increased technology such as the internet, cable and sports only channels(NBA TV etc..).

What Sportscenter is now is a major market/sports and ratings directed show. Basically TMZ for sports.

But's that is what they've needed to evolve and stay relevant. For all the flack that MTV gets, they realized the music video concept was dying and eventually phased it out before You Tube gained more and more popularity.

As for the NHL..much like TSN does in Canada, ESPN is playing to their audience and the majority of that audience doesn't give a damn about Hockey.

You can call that bitterness on ESPN's part but the lack of ratings the NHL continues to garner say otherwise

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote