HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

David Desharnais Discussion (Slow Start & Contact Talk)

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2013, 11:48 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Because I know this board. You have hardcore DD haters and you have hardcore DD lovers.
There's not that many hardcore DD lovers. I think a lot are like me and just realize he's an asset to the team. If we can improve the position, cya DD. Trading him for sake of trading him doesn't make sense. I see him staying with the habs unless they can deal him for a need or package him for an upgrade. I don't expect him to be on the block for another 'problem' because he isn't one. Many like to suggest it's doom and gloom with DD but it really isn't. It's just Koivu all over again. Gets put into a role that's too high for him and as such people hate him. He never asked for top minutes or whatever, he just slotted into the lineup and surpassed expectations. At end of the day, DD is an asset to me, maybe a stopgap until galchenyuk is ready but it's not to suggest they can't co-exist either.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
There's not that many hardcore DD lovers. I think a lot are like me and just realize he's an asset to the team. If we can improve the position, cya DD. Trading him for sake of trading him doesn't make sense. I see him staying with the habs unless they can deal him for a need or package him for an upgrade. I don't expect him to be on the block for another 'problem' because he isn't one. Many like to suggest it's doom and gloom with DD but it really isn't. It's just Koivu all over again. Gets put into a role that's too high for him and as such people hate him. He never asked for top minutes or whatever, he just slotted into the lineup and surpassed expectations. At end of the day, DD is an asset to me, maybe a stopgap until galchenyuk is ready but it's not to suggest they can't co-exist either.
I don't see a futur for him with the CH. But right now, while our young foward are still developing, he is a great center to have in the team. He is the transition guy, doing the job we asking him and helping the team to win.

That's why I have a problem with people who want to switch him RIGHT NOW with Eller/any other young guy. Doesn't make sense. If you want to scrath guys to let the young guys play more, Cole and Gionta should be the first on the list. But this season, if we want to succeed, it's not in our interest to put down the players who are contributing to wins.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
He's not going to be dealt this season but if Gally can keep up his production, it will come down to Eller, Pleks or DD. DD is the odd man out in this case. When we had Koivu we did not have the depth we have today at center, different situation IMO.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Wait, where was this said? on L'Antichambre?
Yes on Antichambre about a week and a half ago.

Old
02-23-2013, 11:59 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Because I know this board. You have hardcore DD haters and you have hardcore DD lovers.
I don't even like DD that much, but I hate seeing people hate him for bad reasons.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Do you have a link for his?
I might still have it on my pvr i gotta check. If i do I'll post it on here. Unless there's an easier way where we can see old episodes of antichambre online?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
inb4 Cyclones Rock

He's completely expendable. Trade him and Leblanc to Columbus for their lowest first round pick this year.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Habs Junkie

http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9os/rds.video.120023

at 9 minutes mark is where he talks about DD

Old
02-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelpj View Post
And yet some keep saying that Eller should replace DD and play with Pac. David and Max complementing each other well, are still relatively young and could grow together as a solid duo for the next year. Chemisty like that between player are needed to succeed.
You are the only person here taling about Eller.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
And what Pacioretty said about DD: What do you expect him to answer? French media shoving microphones in his face asking him about DD all the time. He doesn't want to cause controversy. Pacioretty has always been a solid player without DD.
He could just say he's a good player and move on, the fact that he has constantly gone on about how great DD is as a centre shows that he actually knows DD is good and loves having him as his centre.

But by all means, continue to justify your DD hate despite an actual player saying he's a good centreman.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Maelpj*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You are the only person here taling about Eller.
You are a funny guy. Might need some glasses

Old
02-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Quote:

OK, but he doesn't say Bergevin told him specifically that DD will be out. All he says that when he talked with Bergevin during the HC search, Bergevin knew we had to get bigger down the middle back then.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:36 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Desharnais will not be back next season.

Patrick Roy has said that he spoke to Bergevin about this issue and he knows that DD is too small and the odd man out. Only thing is it will be the most difficult decision as GM to date for him, but he knows in order to have a winning line up DD does not belong as one of the top centers.

And what Pacioretty said about DD: What do you expect him to answer? French media shoving microphones in his face asking him about DD all the time. He doesn't want to cause controversy. Pacioretty has always been a solid player without DD.
Quote:

I watched the video and either your french is not good or you made this up. Patrick spoke about DD getting pushed around at times then said Bergevin said he needs to improve his C size. At no point did Bergevin say DD was odd man out. In fact, this discussion may have come before drafting galchenyuk. There may be a relation due to DD's size but what you said WAS NEVER SAID. I don't get it, why make stuff up?

Old
02-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
OK, but he doesn't say Bergevin told him specifically that DD will be out. All he says that when he talked with Bergevin during the HC search, Bergevin knew we had to get bigger down the middle back then.
It sure seems to me that's what he was implying. You can tell he was being careful with his choice of words there but he did say DD was being pushed off the puck to easily, and then follows up by saying that bergevin even knows the Center position is too small.

The part where dd is the odd man out was my own interpretation but its obvious he was not talking about Plekanec or Eller.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:49 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
It sure seems to me that's what he was implying. You can tell he was being careful with his choice of words there but he did say DD was being pushed off the puck to easily, and then follows up by saying that bergevin even knows the Center position is too small.

The part where dd is the odd man out was my own interpretation but its obvious he was not talking about Plekanec or Eller.
Yes, but Plekanec is also undersized. While I see your logic, you said Bergevin/Roy said this. It isn't the case. For all we know, even if they want to replace DD at center, it could mean they are looking to trade Eller(for example) for an upgrade at C and keeping DD on wings. There's a lot of creative options. Some involve trading DD, some don't.

Anyway, habs then drafted galchenyuk so i'm not sure this scenario is even as urgent as earlier.

Old
02-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Et le But

I doubt Bergevin is telling the future Nordiques coach exactly what he's doing anyway.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:02 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I doubt Bergevin is telling the future Nordiques coach exactly what he's doing anyway.
No, but during interview for HC they probably talked about how they would build a team and what style they prefer.

Old
02-23-2013, 01:07 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
You can count me as a DD "lover"

Old
02-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post

“He basically taught me how to score goals by setting me up. I can admit I wasn’t a goal-scorer until probably my third year pro,” he said.

Desharnais, who will be a restricted free agent at the end of the season, topped the 60-point mark last year, yet he is often derided as too small and not dynamic enough to be a top-line centre.

Pacioretty thinks that’s nuts.

“When people doubt him, I’m like ‘bite your tongue, it’s coming’. He’s so good. Only true hockey people can understand just how good he is. I’ve never seen anyone who sees the ice the way he does,” Pacioretty added. “I want people to keep doubting him because that’s what keeps him going.”

-----

Some interesting quotes about DD from Patches.
Pacioretty is a smart man.

As for Desharnais’ next contract, if he agrees to sign a cap friendly contract (4 years/10-12M$), he would be a very valuable asset as a productive and cap friendly secondary scoring centre. Assuming such a contract, it would give us the necessary room for manoeuvre to find a big top 4 D and/or a replacement for Cole/Gionta.

The guy has elite vision, he competes hard almost every games and it is, like Pacioretty implied, always a treat to watch him ridicule his haters!

Good job DD

Quote:

(...)

Sean Gordon from the Globe and mail = French media?

Ref.: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle8982874/

Old
02-23-2013, 02:15 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

still in haters/fanboys childish mode ?

Old
02-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I don't see how you can call $4.5M per year for 4 yrs a discount...
Clearly meant his current contract (4-years @ $2M per), not the extension he just signed.

Although, on another note, Burrows @ $4.5M is still a discount/deal for them (it was signed before the lockout was over). He is a guy who puts up 25-30 goals, plays all situations, plays a hard nosed style, a great team guy, and wears a letter on his jersey. Probably would have got $1M more on the open market.

Quote:
Desharnais will not be back next season.

Patrick Roy has said that he spoke to Bergevin about this issue and he knows that DD is too small and the odd man out. Only thing is it will be the most difficult decision as GM to date for him, but he knows in order to have a winning line up DD does not belong as one of the top centers.

Haha, he'll be back next season.

And Pacioretty has talked about Desharnais many times. Including when he was still in the minors. Pacioretty loves playing with DD, it's obvious both on the ice and when he speaks. Trying to downplay this is just being ridiculous.

Last edited by Hawkguy: 02-23-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old
02-23-2013, 03:46 PM
DAChampion

Once Galchenyuk becomes half the player we expect, there will be no room for both DD and Plekanec.

There are only so many offensive minutes to go around. Keeping both DD and Plekanec at tat point would make Plekanec a purely defensive shutdown center with no offensive minutes. That would be poor management.

Ultimately:

Galchenyuk, two-way line leaning offense
Plekanec, two-way line
Eller, two-way line leaning defense
White/Dumont, energy line

is a better use of resources than:

Galchenyuk, two-way line
Desharnais, purely offensive line
Plekanec, purely defensive line
Eller, energy line

Which is too bad, DD has some good assets, like his shootout ability. Too bad he can't be converted to wing in the minds of management.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:49 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Once Galchenyuk becomes half the player we expect, there will be no room for both DD and Plekanec.

There are only so many offensive minutes to go around. Keeping both DD and Plekanec at tat point would make Plekanec a purely defensive shutdown center with no offensive minutes. That would be poor management.

Ultimately:

Galchenyuk, two-way line leaning offense
Plekanec, two-way line
Eller, two-way line leaning defense
White/Dumont, energy line

is a better use of resources than:

Galchenyuk, two-way line
Desharnais, purely offensive line
Plekanec, purely defensive line
Eller, energy line

Which is too bad, DD has some good assets, like his shootout ability. Too bad he can't be converted to wing in the minds of management.
Even if Galchenyuk passes DD next year, at this point and time, there is no reason to believe that MTL would keep Eller over DD at C.

If anything, we keep those three centres going forward, and convert Eller to a full-time winger. Good depth in-case of an injury.

Old
02-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Maelpj*

What about converting Galchenyuk at the wing? Seems like he is always at the wing this year

Old
02-23-2013, 04:08 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Pacioretty is a smart man.

As for Desharnais’ next contract, if he agrees to sign a cap friendly contract (4 years/10-12M$), he would be a very valuable asset as a productive and cap friendly secondary scoring centre. Assuming such a contract, it would give us the necessary room for manoeuvre to find a big top 4 D and/or a replacement for Cole/Gionta.

The guy has elite vision, he competes hard almost every games and it is, like Pacioretty implied, always a treat to watch him ridicule his haters!

Good job DD

Sean Gordon from the Globe and mail = French media?

Ref.: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle8982874/
People hate it so much that Pacioretty has DD in high esteem and wants to play with him. They will find any excuses and will use anything to dismiss these comments. It's hilarious to see the blind hatred, to see people hoping for DD to fail.

I personally love it.

Closed Thread